Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
19 Sept 2013 23:14 - Sep 18 with 2297 viewsshandyjack

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/24130102

what the hell has happened to this team in 3 years, how have we gone from that to this in that time ffs

Poll: Expectation for the season

19 Sept 2013 on 23:16 - Sep 18 with 2292 viewsdobjack2

Sh!t recruitment
19 Sept 2013 on 23:17 - Sep 18 with 2286 viewsmarchamjack

1 player still in the starting line up...and even he's not great

3 years, what a change

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

19 Sept 2013 on 23:25 - Sep 18 with 2253 viewsJJJack

19 Sept 2013 on 23:17 - Sep 18 by marchamjack

1 player still in the starting line up...and even he's not great

3 years, what a change

For me, and I said this pre-season, this is either the weakest , or maybe the 2nd weakest (2011) squad we've ever started with in the Prem. It's crazy how much poorer our squad is than the 2013/14 squad which was ridiculously talented
19 Sept 2013 on 23:30 - Sep 18 with 2233 viewsswanstillidai

We reached our summit. We were properly rubbing shoulders with the big boys.

The board realised this was about as good as it would get and decided it wasn't worth throwing money at something we couldn't sustain 👍
19 Sept 2013 on 23:33 - Sep 18 with 2218 viewsmarchamjack

and decided to cash in their chips sadly, couldn't agree more

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

19 Sept 2013 on 23:39 - Sep 18 with 2200 viewsLoyal

19 Sept 2013 on 23:16 - Sep 18 by dobjack2

Sh!t recruitment

Too much Huw - it isn't working, maybe the yanks could do something, oh wait a minute not till January and by then .....

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

19 Sept 2013 on 07:36 - Sep 19 with 2024 viewsTrundle10

In the link bbc wales could not resist putting a link in about cardiff winning 40 odd years previously
19 Sept 2013 on 08:00 - Sep 19 with 1985 viewsmonmouth

19 Sept 2013 on 07:36 - Sep 19 by Trundle10

In the link bbc wales could not resist putting a link in about cardiff winning 40 odd years previously

They didn't win. They merely took the lead.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Login to get fewer ads

19 Sept 2013 on 08:20 - Sep 19 with 1933 viewscostalotta

19 Sept 2013 on 23:30 - Sep 18 by swanstillidai

The board realised this was about as good as it would get and decided it wasn't worth throwing money at something we couldn't sustain 👍

I am not sure it was that calculated to be honest. I think it was more ego and a "look at me aren't i great'! When he/they realised he/they wasn't he/they sold up bt made sure the ego was in tact!
19 Sept 2013 on 08:20 - Sep 19 with 1926 viewsAngelRangelQS

19 Sept 2013 on 23:25 - Sep 18 by JJJack

For me, and I said this pre-season, this is either the weakest , or maybe the 2nd weakest (2011) squad we've ever started with in the Prem. It's crazy how much poorer our squad is than the 2013/14 squad which was ridiculously talented

Weakest for me. At least the promotion squad had played together for a couple of years and had some fight about it.

Rangel, Leon, Dyer of 5 years ago, Williams, Allen, Sinclair, probably even DG10 would waltz into our team at present.
19 Sept 2013 on 08:52 - Sep 19 with 1868 viewsJackFish

19 Sept 2013 on 08:20 - Sep 19 by AngelRangelQS

Weakest for me. At least the promotion squad had played together for a couple of years and had some fight about it.

Rangel, Leon, Dyer of 5 years ago, Williams, Allen, Sinclair, probably even DG10 would waltz into our team at present.

Yeah. When you compare the starting 11 now to then I would take that team over ours. And definitely if you add Gylfi. The Caulker we had five years ago was better than our centre halves now too.
19 Sept 2013 on 09:26 - Sep 19 with 1796 viewsUxbridge

19 Sept 2013 on 23:30 - Sep 18 by swanstillidai

Our wage bill was much less then than it is now.

Our recruitment was better then. Our very footballing ethos was light years ahead of whatever it is now. A rather damning indictment given that half the signings came through the same agent, and Laudrup was starting to phone it in right around this time.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

19 Sept 2013 on 09:52 - Sep 19 with 1729 viewsblaine_scfc

What a team that was.

Best Swansea team I have witnessed.
19 Sept 2013 on 14:09 - Sep 19 with 1577 viewsswanstillidai

19 Sept 2013 on 09:26 - Sep 19 by Uxbridge

Our wage bill was much less then than it is now.

Our recruitment was better then. Our very footballing ethos was light years ahead of whatever it is now. A rather damning indictment given that half the signings came through the same agent, and Laudrup was starting to phone it in right around this time.

So was our income - I suppose it's all relative.

Our board are a bit like a new business that started up with say a burger van.

The burger van does well, more staff are needed. Expansion occurs. More outlets are needed. The business grows and grows, but there comes a point where it makes more sense to know your place in the market rather than take on the might of McDonalds or Burger King and trying to out-muscle them at all costs.
19 Sept 2013 on 14:22 - Sep 19 with 1538 viewsLegend83

Looking at our current predicament, that team and those stats (65% possession and 9 shots on goal against Valencia!!) make me sick to my core.

Everyone putting their hopes on Borja are likely to be disappointed given the rest of the team have zero cohesion at present.

I rever Jenkins and Monk for their past glories / efforts - I despise them for their contemporary destruction of this club and it's ethos.
19 Sept 2013 on 14:31 - Sep 19 with 1509 viewsUxbridge

19 Sept 2013 on 14:09 - Sep 19 by swanstillidai

The burger van does well, more staff are needed. Expansion occurs. More outlets are needed. The business grows and grows, but there comes a point where it makes more sense to know your place in the market rather than take on the might of McDonalds or Burger King and trying to out-muscle them at all costs.

I agree to a point, but I disagree with your conclusions.

At least an element of where we are now is due to the fact we're now an establised PL side. We don't have the (relatively) low cost base, as we're now a PL side signing players on PL wages, and we don't have any relatively cheap ones left.

However there was no conscious decision to say we wouldn't try and repeat that. The difference is that where once the signings (both managerial and player wise) were in sync, were good to watch, and most of all successful, now they are not ... on all counts.

Have eyes been taken off the ball, when £ signs came floating over? Quite possibly, but it'd be a far too simplistic argument IMO.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

19 Sept 2013 on 14:32 - Sep 19 with 1508 viewskarnataka

19 Sept 2013 on 14:22 - Sep 19 by Legend83

Looking at our current predicament, that team and those stats (65% possession and 9 shots on goal against Valencia!!) make me sick to my core.

Everyone putting their hopes on Borja are likely to be disappointed given the rest of the team have zero cohesion at present.

I rever Jenkins and Monk for their past glories / efforts - I despise them for their contemporary destruction of this club and it's ethos.

19 Sept 2013 on 14:33 - Sep 19 with 1502 viewsLegend83

19 Sept 2013 on 14:32 - Sep 19 by karnataka

19 Sept 2013 on 14:35 - Sep 19 with 1492 viewsmonmouth

19 Sept 2013 on 14:09 - Sep 19 by swanstillidai

There comes a point where you sell out to a second rate american burger joint who believe they can 'streamline' the business model and 'leverage' the assets, before selling to a Chinese (or Malaysian ) burgerer.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

19 Sept 2013 on 14:57 - Sep 19 with 1443 viewsswanstillidai

19 Sept 2013 on 14:35 - Sep 19 by monmouth

There comes a point where you sell out to a second rate american burger joint who believe they can 'streamline' the business model and 'leverage' the assets, before selling to a Chinese (or Malaysian ) burgerer.

Krusty Burger?

How apt
19 Sept 2013 on 15:11 - Sep 19 with 1406 viewsLeonisGod

19 Sept 2013 on 08:20 - Sep 19 by AngelRangelQS

Not so sure. Vorm of that season, DillyDally, Canas, Poz wouldn't get into our team. The only players we miss from that starting line up against Valencia are JdG, Michu and Bony. Mind you, in the case of Michu and Bony, what players. Those alone can make the difference between mid-table and a relegation battle. I was a big jdG fan too, even though he couldn't tackle.

Our team ethic was better then, although that was about the point it all started to go t1ts up in the league and we put out some terrible performances.
19 Sept 2013 on 17:01 - Sep 19 with 1274 viewsvetchonian

19 Sept 2013 on 09:52 - Sep 19 by blaine_scfc

What a team that was.

Best Swansea team I have witnessed.

Are you referring to the side that played that night or the "Laudrup" era team,
The starting line up that night included Tiendalli who is often slated on here,Amat who is currently seen as not good enough,Dyer no more to be said who was replaced by such quality as Roland Lamah.
How many people have rose tinted hindsight. Yes we had some quality in Michu and Bony JDZ for me was another in the Fer mould he was either great or missing in action.
Look at the bench Monk,Ben,Vasquez,Lamah,Shelvey and Routledge ...how people can say we have got weaker, take away Michu and Bony and I dont see a huge difference.

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024