Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
'The Great Escape' Will the Players, Paul Clement, and the Jack Army, achieve... 20:32 - May 9 with 1855 viewsSwanseaman

'The Great Escape', Will the Players, Paul Clement, and the Jack Army, achieve this on the weekend?

This season is the 25th Premiership season. Out of the previous 24, only 3 teams who were at the bottom of the league at Christmas (the 'Curse of Christmas') have managed to achieve the 'Great Escape'. These are: West Brom 2004—05, Sunderland 2013—14 and Leicester City 2014—15. The Swans were in joint bottom position with Hull at Christmas this season. Now it is our turn to try and achieve this record.

In the Premier league, there are the top teams challenging for the title, there are the middle teams that usually finish mid table, and then there are the teams near the bottom, regularly getting into relegation battles. The Swans have been mainly a mid table club since getting into the Premier League, but for this season, a manager was brought in, 'Bob Bradley', who had no experience of the English football leagues. He could not get to grips with the Premier League and this plunged us into the depths that caused us to receive the 'Curse of Christmas'.

Paul Clement's arrival brought an upturn in performances, but with a Fernando Llorente injury and still working out his best eleven, positions, and formation, things were not running smoothly. Some performances were very good but the confidence was still lacking and again we found ourselves into the relegation zone.

With Llorente's recovery from injury and Paul Clement starting to get his footballing strategies right, the fight back began in full force. Bringing Leon Britton back into midfield as captain was the icing on the cake. His leadership and confidence rubbed off onto the players and his experience of Swansea's famous relegation battle season of 2003, when we narrowly avoided dropping out of the Football League, became vital.

The penultimate home game with Everton was one of the best atmospheres seen at the Liberty in recent years. Hull had lost their game beforehand and the Jack Army were really charged up, we now had a chance to get out of the drop zone and the noise created at the Liberty was phenomenal, this was the Jack Army at their best. The players experienced first hand just how much it means to the supporters to stay up and the amount of passion that they can create.

Paul Clement said after the match: 'I'm not sure I've been in a better atmosphere than that, it was absolutely electric out there. One of my proudest moments today.'

The presenter on Sky Sports said: 'When the final whistle blew, it felt like there were 65,000 in here'.

Alfie Mawson: 'The atmosphere from the Jack Army was brilliant - absolutely sensational. You can see how much it meant to the fans, to the whole club and city. When you hear that support cheering you on it really does give you extra energy. That extra energy helped get us over the line, and the players are really thankful for their backing. It was mental the atmosphere.'

Ki Sung-Yueng: 'The fans were absolutely amazing at the weekend. They create a fantastic atmosphere and when we are tiring near the end of a game the noise they make gives us extra energy. To see 3,000 fans cheering us on at the Stadium of Light will be amazing.

Paul Clement even thought that the Jack Army support was louder than the Bernabeu: 'It was brilliant. I have been with Real Madrid when there has been 85,000 at the Bernabeu and is it not as loud as that because they tend to sit and watch and wait to be entertained. The fans got right behind us and really helped us at the end, they were amazing and that helps the players when they are tired and the tanks are running on empty. It gives you a lift and a big, big help.'

Talking about the 'Great Escape', Paul Clement said: 'I’ve been in a very privileged position in the past to have worked with some fantastic teams… and got my hands on some unbelievable silverware, but this will be the best by far if we manage to stay in this league, because I’m the one making the decisions.'

Now the momentum is in our favour, but the game with Sunderland is not going to be an easy one. It has become one of the biggest in our recent history. There is so much passion being shown from the players, they and the Jack Army are really up for it. Alfie Mawson stated that: when the 'going gets tough, the tough get going.'

So will they manage to make the 'Great Escape' this weekend and become only the 4th team to achieve this after so many had written us off this season. Will we be writing a brand new chapter into the Swansea City history books?

The prospect of it is getting close, with only 3 days to go. I think that if the players can again play with such passion, fighting for every ball, while keeping focused/not making any silly challenges. If they can give it everything they have, with 3,000 of the Jack Army in full voice, I think they could do it, but only time will tell for sure..

[Post edited 10 May 2017 1:53]

Poll: Would you have Jenkins back if he found wealthy oil sheikhs to buy out the Yanks

'The Great Escape' Will the Players, Paul Clement, and the Jack Army, achieve... on 22:45 - May 9 with 1680 viewsmorningstar

I enjoy your posts, but may i be the first too say that since you joined this site 4 days ago, you're posting like Zebedee on acid! Take a chill pill ffs!
[Post edited 9 May 2017 22:46]

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

'The Great Escape' Will the Players, Paul Clement, and the Jack Army, achieve... on 22:54 - May 9 with 1648 viewsBloodyhills

In answer to OP question, time will tell.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

'The Great Escape' Will the Players, Paul Clement, and the Jack Army, achieve... on 22:54 - May 9 with 1647 viewsbuilthjack

'The Great Escape' Will the Players, Paul Clement, and the Jack Army, achieve... on 22:45 - May 9 by morningstar

I enjoy your posts, but may i be the first too say that since you joined this site 4 days ago, you're posting like Zebedee on acid! Take a chill pill ffs!

He's enthusiastic, fair play

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

'The Great Escape' Will the Players, Paul Clement, and the Jack Army, achieve... on 23:46 - May 9 with 1586 viewsspiderboy

'The Great Escape' Will the Players, Paul Clement, and the Jack Army, achieve... on 22:54 - May 9 by builthjack

He's enthusiastic, fair play

Loving it loving it loving it.....wasn't there a song with those words????
'The Great Escape' Will the Players, Paul Clement, and the Jack Army, achieve... on 23:51 - May 9 with 1583 viewsSwansNZ

Can someone give me a summary in no more than 4 lines please?

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

'The Great Escape' Will the Players, Paul Clement, and the Jack Army, achieve... on 23:58 - May 9 with 1564 viewsspiderboy

'The Great Escape' Will the Players, Paul Clement, and the Jack Army, achieve... on 23:51 - May 9 by SwansNZ

Win
or draw
Don't lose
stay focused
'The Great Escape' Will the Players, Paul Clement, and the Jack Army, achieve... on 00:01 - May 10 with 1562 viewsRancid

We'll do it because it's what we always do i.e the hard way.We've shown in the last few games we're a good side when we need to be and even if we only get a point against Everton I think we'll beat West Brom and Hull will bottle it.Anything up in Sunderland will be a bonus but I don't think we'll need it.

Our history with Hull City rolls on and again it'll be favourable to us.

I think we'll beat Everton anyway.
'The Great Escape' Will the Players, Paul Clement, and the Jack Army, achieve... on 00:04 - May 10 with 1555 viewsmonmouth

'The Great Escape' Will the Players, Paul Clement, and the Jack Army, achieve... on 23:51 - May 9 by SwansNZ

Win
Sleep
And
Dream of Sheep.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Login to get fewer ads

'The Great Escape' Will the Players, Paul Clement, and the Jack Army, achieve... on 00:07 - May 10 with 1549 viewsSwansNZ

'The Great Escape' Will the Players, Paul Clement, and the Jack Army, achieve... on 00:04 - May 10 by monmouth

Win
Sleep
And
Dream of Sheep.

Thanks

Sounds good, I'll read in full later

'The Great Escape' Will the Players, Paul Clement, and the Jack Army, achieve... on 00:18 - May 10 with 1525 viewsSwansNZ

'The Great Escape' Will the Players, Paul Clement, and the Jack Army, achieve... on 00:01 - May 10 by Rancid

We'll do it because it's what we always do i.e the hard way.We've shown in the last few games we're a good side when we need to be and even if we only get a point against Everton I think we'll beat West Brom and Hull will bottle it.Anything up in Sunderland will be a bonus but I don't think we'll need it.

Our history with Hull City rolls on and again it'll be favourable to us.

I think we'll beat Everton anyway.

1-0 v Everton - lump on

'The Great Escape' Will the Players, Paul Clement, and the Jack Army, achieve... on 00:30 - May 10 with 1502 viewsRancid

'The Great Escape' Will the Players, Paul Clement, and the Jack Army, achieve... on 00:18 - May 10 by SwansNZ

1-0 v Everton - lump on

Sounds about right that and i'll have a nibble I think.We're 13/2 to win 1-0 up in Sunderland too which appeals.
'The Great Escape' Will the Players, Paul Clement, and the Jack Army, achieve... on 00:46 - May 10 with 1475 viewsRancid

What the f**k am I on about.I've had a poxy week with the family and completely forgot we beat the Toffees.What an embarrassing post and cheers NZ for stringing me along lol
'The Great Escape' Will the Players, Paul Clement, and the Jack Army, achieve... on 01:06 - May 10 with 1447 viewsSwanseaman

'The Great Escape' Will the Players, Paul Clement, and the Jack Army, achieve... on 22:45 - May 9 by morningstar

Lol, I'll try

Poll: Would you have Jenkins back if he found wealthy oil sheikhs to buy out the Yanks

'The Great Escape' Will the Players, Paul Clement, and the Jack Army, achieve... on 01:31 - May 10 with 1422 viewsNirvana

Good post Swanseaman.

I like the enthusiasm and positivity and wish there was more like it on here.

One minor correction: it's spelled 'penultimate'.
'The Great Escape' Will the Players, Paul Clement, and the Jack Army, achieve... on 01:43 - May 10 with 1411 viewsSwanseaman

Thanks Nirvana

'The Great Escape' Will the Players, Paul Clement, and the Jack Army, achieve... on 01:59 - May 10 with 1395 viewsNirvana

'The Great Escape' Will the Players, Paul Clement, and the Jack Army, achieve... on 01:43 - May 10 by Swanseaman

Thanks Nirvana

No problem Swanseaman.
'The Great Escape' Will the Players, Paul Clement, and the Jack Army, achieve... on 23:42 - May 11 with 1040 viewsspiderboy

'The Great Escape' Will the Players, Paul Clement, and the Jack Army, achieve... on 00:04 - May 10 by monmouth

Win
Sleep
And
Dream of Sheep.

I do! every nite I dream of a sheep in my bed.
'The Great Escape' Will the Players, Paul Clement, and the Jack Army, achieve... on 08:27 - May 12 with 930 viewsMrSwerve

'The Great Escape' Will the Players, Paul Clement, and the Jack Army, achieve... on 23:42 - May 11 by spiderboy

I do! every nite I dream of a sheep in my bed.

I thought we all dream of a team of Alan Tates?

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024