Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Coronavirus mortality 23:32 - Oct 2 with 12453 viewsProfessor

Let’s put a true perspective on this. 99.5% of people survive. Well maybe, though probably closer to 99%. Imagine a full house at the Liberty.

Imagine as you go out a line of 120 people (maybe 240). They are executed.
That is a 0.5% mortality rate.

It’s not a binary disease either. More will have long term illness.
Just think about that.

This is not supporting a lockdown or any other specific intervention. Just a reality check. By the way flu has a 0.1% mortality rate.
Coronavirus mortality on 23:43 - Oct 2 with 2235 viewsDr_Parnassus

You really shouldn’t use the moniker “professor”.

Covid cannot be likened to killing a random 120 people at a football match. That’s not the reality.

Covid, like flu, will affect a certain population. People who are already sick and those that are very old. In rare circumstances it will fall outside of that. So likening it to executing a random 120 people at a football match introduces a fear that is just not there.

It’s the same way police brutality is used to scare the black community. 3 in 10,000 of you can expect to be killed by police.... no, 3 in 10,000 of you can expect to be killed by police if you commit a crime and resist arrest, don’t do that and you will be fine.

So back to Covid, locking up a healthy population is barmy. If masks work as suggested then everyone wear a mask.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Coronavirus mortality on 23:54 - Oct 2 with 2304 viewscontroversial_jack

Coronavirus mortality on 23:43 - Oct 2 by Dr_Parnassus

Covid cannot be likened to killing a random 120 people at a football match. That’s not the reality.

Covid, like flu, will affect a certain population. People who are already sick and those that are very old. In rare circumstances it will fall outside of that. So likening it to executing a random 120 people at a football match introduces a fear that is just not there.

It’s the same way police brutality is used to scare the black community. 3 in 10,000 of you can expect to be killed by police.... no, 3 in 10,000 of you can expect to be killed by police if you commit a crime and resist arrest, don’t do that and you will be fine.

So back to Covid, locking up a healthy population is barmy. If masks work as suggested then everyone wear a mask.

Don't those sick and old people matter?
Coronavirus mortality on 23:56 - Oct 2 with 2303 viewsProfessor

Coronavirus mortality on 23:43 - Oct 2 by Dr_Parnassus

So is everyone is a group of 220000 healthy?

Or are you now making selection and assumption. Introducing confounders which make your data meaningless? You know sweet FA about science so stop the BS for the rest of us.
Coronavirus mortality on 23:57 - Oct 2 with 2301 viewsProfessor

Coronavirus mortality on 23:54 - Oct 2 by controversial_jack

Of course. That’s the point. You don’t leave people behind in a civilised society. He is not civil
Coronavirus mortality on 00:03 - Oct 3 with 2208 viewsDr_Parnassus

Of course they do. But if you are sick I would advise against going to a football match with thousands of people there.

If you are old and fearful of a virus then likewise you should not go to a football match with thousands of other people, viruses will never be eradicated.

Coronavirus mortality on 00:06 - Oct 3 with 2206 viewsDr_Parnassus

Coronavirus mortality on 23:57 - Oct 2 by Professor

Of course. That’s the point. You don’t leave people behind in a civilised society. He is not civil

Can you pretend to put me back on ignore please.

I lose brain cells every time I read one of your posts to me with your leftist out of context sensationalist guff.

Who said we are leaving anyone behind? Old people and sick people are susceptible to viruses, they always have been and always will be - which is why every flu season it kills tens of thousands of people.

Comparing that to executing a random 240 people out of a football crowd is utterly stupid at best and intentionally misleading in order to spread fear at worst - my guess is it falls somewhere in between.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2020 0:10]

Coronavirus mortality on 00:12 - Oct 3 with 2285 viewsProfessor

Coronavirus mortality on 00:06 - Oct 3 by Dr_Parnassus

Can you pretend to put me back on ignore please.

I lose brain cells every time I read one of your posts to me with your leftist out of context sensationalist guff.

Who said we are leaving anyone behind? Old people and sick people are susceptible to viruses, they always have been and always will be - which is why every flu season it kills tens of thousands of people.

Comparing that to executing a random 240 people out of a football crowd is utterly stupid at best and intentionally misleading in order to spread fear at worst - my guess is it falls somewhere in between.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2020 0:10]

So you are now telling people they can’t do something? Is that not the purpose of the pointless controls? I know that’s rhetorical and you only like facts
Coronavirus mortality on 00:20 - Oct 3 with 2190 viewsDr_Parnassus

Coronavirus mortality on 00:12 - Oct 3 by Professor

So you are now telling people they can’t do something? Is that not the purpose of the pointless controls? I know that’s rhetorical and you only like facts

People can’t do something? Are you doing your typical leftist approach of reading what you want to read again? That’s twice in two posts now.

At no point did I say anyone couldn’t do anything. Point out where I did.

What I said was, if someone is sick or fearful of getting a virus then I would (and I quote) “advise they do not attend a football match with thousands of other people”.

You see, one is choice the other (lockdown) is not a choice.

But trust you to try and dishonestly paint the freedom option as the oppressive option - you are making a habit of that aren’t you.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2020 0:59]

Login to get fewer ads

Coronavirus mortality on 00:30 - Oct 3 with 2272 viewsProfessor

Coronavirus mortality on 00:20 - Oct 3 by Dr_Parnassus

People can’t do something? Are you doing your typical leftist approach of reading what you want to read again? That’s twice in two posts now.

At no point did I say anyone couldn’t do anything. Point out where I did.

What I said was, if someone is sick or fearful of getting a virus then I would (and I quote) “advise they do not attend a football match with thousands of other people”.

You see, one is choice the other (lockdown) is not a choice.

But trust you to try and dishonestly paint the freedom option as the oppressive option - you are making a habit of that aren’t you.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2020 0:59]

Viruses are everywhere. Our bacterial population which is bigger than our own cell population is full of them. Plants have them. They can drive evolution.
They can end empires.
Coronavirus mortality on 00:37 - Oct 3 with 2182 viewsDr_Parnassus

Coronavirus mortality on 00:30 - Oct 3 by Professor

Viruses are everywhere. Our bacterial population which is bigger than our own cell population is full of them. Plants have them. They can drive evolution.
They can end empires.

So we should have always been in an ever lasting state of lockdown then. Poor old people, what were we thinking?

How uncivilised we have been all this time.

Coronavirus mortality on 00:54 - Oct 3 with 2261 viewsProfessor

Coronavirus mortality on 00:37 - Oct 3 by Dr_Parnassus

So we should have always been in an ever lasting state of lockdown then. Poor old people, what were we thinking?

How uncivilised we have been all this time.

No-they are host specific. It’s the species jumps that are the problem. Which are very rare.

The bacterial immune system to viruses - CRISPR-cas, which cuts up DNA is the basis of gene editing.
Coronavirus mortality on 00:58 - Oct 3 with 2172 viewsDr_Parnassus

Coronavirus mortality on 00:54 - Oct 3 by Professor

No-they are host specific. It’s the species jumps that are the problem. Which are very rare.

The bacterial immune system to viruses - CRISPR-cas, which cuts up DNA is the basis of gene editing.

Hang on, we either lock down when there is a virus that makes old people and the sick susceptible or we do not. Which one is it?

You just called me uncivilised for suggesting we should not lock down, now you are saying we shouldn’t have locked down for other viruses that make old people and the sick susceptible.

Tens of thousands of people die every flu season. Don’t they matter to you?

Coronavirus mortality on 01:10 - Oct 3 with 2248 viewsProfessor

Coronavirus mortality on 00:58 - Oct 3 by Dr_Parnassus

Hang on, we either lock down when there is a virus that makes old people and the sick susceptible or we do not. Which one is it?

You just called me uncivilised for suggesting we should not lock down, now you are saying we shouldn’t have locked down for other viruses that make old people and the sick susceptible.

Tens of thousands of people die every flu season. Don’t they matter to you?

Less than 10,000 most years. We try to mitigate with a mediocre vaccine. Sometimes it does not work and we get more. But never at this level.

But being positive there are more effective vaccines for coronaviruses than influenza in most species. There are also well over 100 variants of influenza A alone. We have learned to live with it. We are still in nappies with SARS CoV2
Coronavirus mortality on 01:18 - Oct 3 with 2160 viewsDr_Parnassus

Coronavirus mortality on 01:10 - Oct 3 by Professor

Less than 10,000 most years. We try to mitigate with a mediocre vaccine. Sometimes it does not work and we get more. But never at this level.

But being positive there are more effective vaccines for coronaviruses than influenza in most species. There are also well over 100 variants of influenza A alone. We have learned to live with it. We are still in nappies with SARS CoV2

Incorrect.

Up to 650,000 people die either directly from or respiratory illnesses linked to seasonal flu every single year.

So we should always be in a state of lockdown and it was uncivilised of us not to have always been prior to Covid right? Remember the rules you set.

What about these people? Don’t they matter to you?

Professor, I am happy to have a civil debate with you but your constant shutting down of things you find hard to answer with name calling needs to stop or be explained. Ball is in your court.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2020 1:21]

Coronavirus mortality on 13:54 - Oct 3 with 2138 viewsScotia

Coronavirus mortality on 01:18 - Oct 3 by Dr_Parnassus

Incorrect.

Up to 650,000 people die either directly from or respiratory illnesses linked to seasonal flu every single year.

So we should always be in a state of lockdown and it was uncivilised of us not to have always been prior to Covid right? Remember the rules you set.

What about these people? Don’t they matter to you?

Professor, I am happy to have a civil debate with you but your constant shutting down of things you find hard to answer with name calling needs to stop or be explained. Ball is in your court.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2020 1:21]

That makes very little sense.

I suspect that if, without lockdown, covid "only" killed 650000 people a year and hospitalised people at a similar rate as flu. We would never have been in lockdown. Flu doesn't need a lockdown because it is less contagious and has a tiny IFR compared to covid.

The fact is that despite being in lockdown through much of the world covid has already killed approximately double that figure, hospitalised millions more and a large number of people are still very ill.

We are only nine months in with potentially the most dangerous season to come. This obviously isn't the flu.
Coronavirus mortality on 13:54 - Oct 3 with 2138 viewsHighjack

They should be executing people who leave with ten minutes left to “beat the traffic”. I think that would be a good compromise.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Coronavirus mortality on 14:09 - Oct 3 with 2126 viewsGlossolalia

OP, that is the most spurious, one-dimensional, ham-fisted attempt at an metaphor I've read in a long time. Absolutely bereft of nuance and perspicacity.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, the old and vulnerable are exactly that - more likely to die from anything, really. Why we need to shun nature's way for this particular strain is indefensible now. We should protect the old and vulnerable, but not this way; not at this cost.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2020 14:13]
Coronavirus mortality on 14:18 - Oct 3 with 2110 viewsHighjack

Coronavirus mortality on 14:09 - Oct 3 by Glossolalia

OP, that is the most spurious, one-dimensional, ham-fisted attempt at an metaphor I've read in a long time. Absolutely bereft of nuance and perspicacity.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, the old and vulnerable are exactly that - more likely to die from anything, really. Why we need to shun nature's way for this particular strain is indefensible now. We should protect the old and vulnerable, but not this way; not at this cost.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2020 14:13]

Yeah there’s no point in protecting them if it completely destroys any joy or quality of life they have. I can’t imagine how they feel being stuck in homes for months and months wondering why nobody is coming to visit them. If covid doesn’t get them loneliness will.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Coronavirus mortality on 14:20 - Oct 3 with 2094 viewsAndy1300

Yes, but why should everyone else have to suffer?

The mortality rate is so low, more people are going to die through the lockdown, people are losing their jobs, people are losing their relationships.

If masks work, why are more people testing positive?

The professor is just as bad as the media for scaring the life out of people.

Number 1 team in Wales

Coronavirus mortality on 14:24 - Oct 3 with 2086 viewsAndy1300

Coronavirus mortality on 01:10 - Oct 3 by Professor

You really believe that flu hasn’t killed over 40k people in past years?

Dear god!

Number 1 team in Wales

Coronavirus mortality on 14:27 - Oct 3 with 2099 viewsonehunglow

Clearly,the common man on the internet know better than the clinically trained.

I would say Glossalia has posted the single most crock of shyte seen on here for some time.

We are still not taken this virus seriously which is proven when the wearing of masks is too much hassle and social distancing not needed a is the case with lockdown.

This second wave is a direct consequence of our national stupidity,the same minset that see students seeing lockdown as a human rights issue.

Old people?-Just cull the fookers eh.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Coronavirus mortality on 14:29 - Oct 3 with 2094 viewsGwyn737

The OP states that the equivalent mortality rate of 0.5% from a full Liberty crowd would be 120 deaths.

He also says he’s not supporting a lockdown or any other specific intervention.

These points are hardly controversial.

Still some manage to pick a fight. Well done Prof on working through a career where you have earned your title. I just hope that Dr. P isn’t on your or anyone else’s honours committee as he’s clearly had quite enough of experts.

What’s going on Dr. P? You be gone super prickly on this one.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2020 14:31]
Coronavirus mortality on 14:29 - Oct 3 with 2009 viewsDr_Parnassus

Coronavirus mortality on 13:54 - Oct 3 by Scotia

That makes very little sense.

I suspect that if, without lockdown, covid "only" killed 650000 people a year and hospitalised people at a similar rate as flu. We would never have been in lockdown. Flu doesn't need a lockdown because it is less contagious and has a tiny IFR compared to covid.

The fact is that despite being in lockdown through much of the world covid has already killed approximately double that figure, hospitalised millions more and a large number of people are still very ill.

We are only nine months in with potentially the most dangerous season to come. This obviously isn't the flu.

I didn’t say it was the flu, I made the point that having a virus that kills the old and the sick isn’t a new thing. We have always had it and will always have it.

This isn’t going away, lockdown or not. Plenty of countries have not locked down and have fared similarly to those that have. Spain locked down early and they locked down hard, they have more deaths per capita than the USA.

You don’t lockdown a country because of a virus with a 99.5% survival rate, you just don’t. If you do then you should really be doing it permanently for the rest of time otherwise what about those susceptible to the likes of the flu? As I said up to 650,000 people die yearly, why don’t they matter?

The reality is, if you are high risk then you take precautions. If you aren’t, then wear a mask to help stop transition and carry on as normal. You don’t lock down healthy people and destroy the economy, it’s brainless.

Coronavirus mortality on 14:29 - Oct 3 with 2078 viewsAndy1300

Coronavirus mortality on 14:27 - Oct 3 by onehunglow

Clearly,the common man on the internet know better than the clinically trained.

I would say Glossalia has posted the single most crock of shyte seen on here for some time.

We are still not taken this virus seriously which is proven when the wearing of masks is too much hassle and social distancing not needed a is the case with lockdown.

This second wave is a direct consequence of our national stupidity,the same minset that see students seeing lockdown as a human rights issue.

Old people?-Just cull the fookers eh.

If anything is a crock of bull, it’s this!

Number 1 team in Wales

Coronavirus mortality on 14:30 - Oct 3 with 2090 viewsonehunglow

Andy.

We simply disagree.

It' a crock of shyte because you think it is. Nobody but NOBODY ha the answers to this cure.

Are you suggesting no lockdown,masks not needed,social distancing simliar? These are there to prevent the spread. Its not made up.

I am frightened for my kids and their families though looking at how we are.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2020 14:32]

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024