Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
DM 17:12 - Aug 23 with 6174 viewsmagicdaps10

Not taking away from the win here at all but the second half showed our need for a DM who can break the opposistions play up when we are under the cosh.

We didnt lose today because they didnt finish their chances, got to take this on board in the last week of the transfer window.

That aside, well done the lads.........6 points from 6.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

DM on 17:23 - Aug 23 with 3670 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

It reminded me of the matches at the beginning of Garry's tenure as care taker manager. We played well the first half with a clearly defined plan and we clearly prepared before game for the tactics the opposition would use.

Then came the second half where the opposition manager changes things and Garry is utterly devoid of ideas as to how to play against the new tactics the opposition employ.

We were lucky to win today. That being said the first half was a solid 45 minutes.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

DM on 17:26 - Aug 23 with 3629 viewsWatchman

DM on 17:23 - Aug 23 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

It reminded me of the matches at the beginning of Garry's tenure as care taker manager. We played well the first half with a clearly defined plan and we clearly prepared before game for the tactics the opposition would use.

Then came the second half where the opposition manager changes things and Garry is utterly devoid of ideas as to how to play against the new tactics the opposition employ.

We were lucky to win today. That being said the first half was a solid 45 minutes.

He wasn't devoid last week! In fact LVG changed tactics 4 times but you go ahead sunshine!

I am but a dot, but a dot that can cause an earthquake
Blog: Ignorance is not Bliss but it sure is Funny

DM on 17:28 - Aug 23 with 3618 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

DM on 17:26 - Aug 23 by Watchman

He wasn't devoid last week! In fact LVG changed tactics 4 times but you go ahead sunshine!

I agree last week was a good performance for 90 minutes.

You cannot deny that the second half today we were tactically outmatched and it almost cost us 2 points.

DM on 17:35 - Aug 23 with 3565 viewsWatchman

DM on 17:28 - Aug 23 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

You cannot deny that the second half today we were tactically outmatched and it almost cost us 2 points.

Burnley played better than us! nothing to do with tactics Need to slow down and try and not treat the ball as a hot potato.
Ifs buts and maybes fella! 3 pts in the bag and a chance for GM to get to work on them this week

DM on 17:42 - Aug 23 with 3520 viewsHighjack

Burnley barely had a chance in the whole game.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

DM on 17:46 - Aug 23 with 3488 viewsWatchman

DM on 17:42 - Aug 23 by Highjack

Burnley barely had a chance in the whole game.

One shot on target in the second half!

GM sums it up
“I knew it would be a tough game. In the first half we controlled it, but in the second we expected them to throw everything at us and they did. But you have to applaud our players,” Monk told BBC Sport.

“You have games like that and it’s about the attitude of your players and the way they defended was superb, restricting Burnley to one shot on target.

“We matched them toe-for-toe and we defended properly. We can improve in many areas, as we didn’t pass the ball as well as we can do in the second half, but our attitude and defending was great.”

DM on 17:49 - Aug 23 with 3463 viewslondonlisa2001

no we weren't.
DM on 17:56 - Aug 23 with 3412 viewsSweyns_Eye

I have to disagree with where DYS is coming from here. Even though we let Burnley more into it in the second half they never looked particularly threatening. Our defence was more than a match for them.

"After the war is over I'm going to buy a British radio set - then at least I'll own something that has always worked". Hermann Goring, 1943.
Poll: How long do you think Monk will last managing Leeds?

Login to get fewer ads

DM on 17:57 - Aug 23 with 3398 viewsTom1912

DM on 17:35 - Aug 23 by Watchman

Burnley played better than us! nothing to do with tactics Need to slow down and try and not treat the ball as a hot potato.
Ifs buts and maybes fella! 3 pts in the bag and a chance for GM to get to work on them this week

A big factor in them playing better was because they changed tactics. They pressed us higher up the pitch and also gave their full backs much more protection.

Tactically they got it spot on second half. They lacked the quality to get a goal though and we defended very well-Williams and Amat in particular. I suspect Fernandez will come in against Leciester but it's ridiculously harsh to drop Amat after the 180 minutes of football he's played this season.
DM on 17:58 - Aug 23 with 3394 viewsNeath_Jack

We are disjointed without a proper DM in there. JJS and Ki trying to share the load between them, seems like they haven't got their own defined roles, just muck in together sort of thing.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

DM on 17:58 - Aug 23 with 3390 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

DM on 17:56 - Aug 23 by Sweyns_Eye

I have to disagree with where DYS is coming from here. Even though we let Burnley more into it in the second half they never looked particularly threatening. Our defence was more than a match for them.

I see your point and I partly agree. I just felt that we were sitting back far too much. You normally see teams sit back like that for the final 5 minutes or so but not from the 50th minute onwards.

DM on 18:35 - Aug 23 with 3225 viewswoodywoodpecker

I agree need a DM quickly, also I thought our fitness looked suspect players not tracking. They looked like a good championship side which is worrying with the amount of possession they had. Still 6 points from 6.
DM on 18:58 - Aug 23 with 3120 viewsUplandsJack

DM on 17:58 - Aug 23 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

I see your point and I partly agree. I just felt that we were sitting back far too much. You normally see teams sit back like that for the final 5 minutes or so but not from the 50th minute onwards.

Ultimately we brought the trouble to our own door... As we have seen quite a few times before we didn't really come out in the second half and sat too deep just inviting them onto us time & again.
Let's be honest we could or should have been 3 - 4 nil up when Dyer scuffed his shot into the back of the net to make it 1-0.

Think we all can see the trouble at present is just in front of the back four... Ki & Shelvey both did ok in equal measures, but also were both guilty of mistakes.

I'm well chuffed with Fabianski. He commands his box so well it gives so much confidence to the CB's , other players and even the crowd... Apart from a couple of muppets behind me who kept saying he was shit on the few occasions he misplaced his kick.. ( 2 or 3 time if I recall).

Finally I too was much impressed with Ash performance today. Not only his defending skills but also his leadership qualities.. I saw a few times during the 2nd half he was encouraging JJS & Ki when we were under the cosh... Much better than the sulking and strutting previously seen!!!
DM on 18:59 - Aug 23 with 3111 viewsJBG

Has Gary refused to give you his autograph or ignored you? Because to be fair,now Darran has pointed it out,you have not got a good word to say about him, are you a laudrup cling on?
DM on 19:03 - Aug 23 with 3083 viewsUplandsJack

DM on 18:58 - Aug 23 by UplandsJack

Ultimately we brought the trouble to our own door... As we have seen quite a few times before we didn't really come out in the second half and sat too deep just inviting them onto us time & again.
Let's be honest we could or should have been 3 - 4 nil up when Dyer scuffed his shot into the back of the net to make it 1-0.

Think we all can see the trouble at present is just in front of the back four... Ki & Shelvey both did ok in equal measures, but also were both guilty of mistakes.

I'm well chuffed with Fabianski. He commands his box so well it gives so much confidence to the CB's , other players and even the crowd... Apart from a couple of muppets behind me who kept saying he was shit on the few occasions he misplaced his kick.. ( 2 or 3 time if I recall).

Finally I too was much impressed with Ash performance today. Not only his defending skills but also his leadership qualities.. I saw a few times during the 2nd half he was encouraging JJS & Ki when we were under the cosh... Much better than the sulking and strutting previously seen!!!

Can't actually believe I have said that about Ash as I am certainly guilty of expressing my negative feeling about his captaincy skills previously, but I have to be honest and say what I feel & saw from today's performance.
(No subject) (n/t) on 19:10 - Aug 23 with 3040 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

DM on 18:59 - Aug 23 by JBG

Has Gary refused to give you his autograph or ignored you? Because to be fair,now Darran has pointed it out,you have not got a good word to say about him, are you a laudrup cling on?

I have repeated numerous times recently that our recent run of competitive results has been acceptable.

I've even mentioned how Garry has improved in terms of tactical awareness since his introduction to football management.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2014 19:12]

DM on 19:14 - Aug 23 with 3011 viewsTummer_from_Texas

DM on 17:49 - Aug 23 by londonlisa2001

no we weren't.

I wouldn't go so far as to say we were outmatched in the 2nd, but it seemed a little odd and unexplainable going from 65% possession in the 1st half to 45% last I checked in the 2nd half. Especially odd given there were no formation changes or substitutions until fairly late.

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

DM on 19:21 - Aug 23 with 2950 viewslondonlisa2001

DM on 19:14 - Aug 23 by Tummer_from_Texas

I wouldn't go so far as to say we were outmatched in the 2nd, but it seemed a little odd and unexplainable going from 65% possession in the 1st half to 45% last I checked in the 2nd half. Especially odd given there were no formation changes or substitutions until fairly late.

the no we weren't was in relation to the assertion that we were tactically outmatched. We definitely started to sit back too deep and looked nervous and they moved the ball up more quickly (went more direct).

Having said that, there were really only a couple of chances for them and we also had a couple of equally good chances in the second half.
DM on 19:22 - Aug 23 with 2938 viewsdobjack2

Agree. The lack of central midfield options was worrying. Balance was not right shelvey was having a mare but we didn't dare take him off. 3 points is brilliant but a better team would have gone away with 3 points.
DM on 19:26 - Aug 23 with 2908 viewsmonmouth

DM on 19:21 - Aug 23 by londonlisa2001

the no we weren't was in relation to the assertion that we were tactically outmatched. We definitely started to sit back too deep and looked nervous and they moved the ball up more quickly (went more direct).

Having said that, there were really only a couple of chances for them and we also had a couple of equally good chances in the second half.

We handed the initiative to them Lis. Not the first time we've done it (CP< WBA). I hate it when we do that, I really do. It means 45 minutes of almost agony in my book. Still, it worked this time and I can't imagine JJS and The Sig being so out of touch together in many games in future. Both had flashes but my god it was all so slow,

GM's right though, we dogged it out. We've failed to do that so often. Not often we get a 1-0.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

DM on 19:29 - Aug 23 with 2879 viewsKulusBeatFactory

Back on topic....
Concur - DM must be addressed - Leon would have made a massive difference today.
Ki was v good
Shelvey was our weakest link and at times a liability
Leon and Ki - a winning combination
Need backup for Leon ASAP
DM on 19:31 - Aug 23 with 2855 viewslondonlisa2001

DM on 19:26 - Aug 23 by monmouth

We handed the initiative to them Lis. Not the first time we've done it (CP< WBA). I hate it when we do that, I really do. It means 45 minutes of almost agony in my book. Still, it worked this time and I can't imagine JJS and The Sig being so out of touch together in many games in future. Both had flashes but my god it was all so slow,

GM's right though, we dogged it out. We've failed to do that so often. Not often we get a 1-0.

I agree with you - we dropped 10 yards back and handed them the initiative -we did it last week as well.

Still, defended well (largely coming from Fabianski, who really commanded he box and Ash who was outstanding) and they didn't create much.

I would like to see us continue to drive forward, never sure why we don't, maybe hard to keep it up, maybe we get more concerned about not conceding rather than scoring again.

I look forward to seeing the next couple of games - hopefully we learn from our weaknesses - Monk certainly recognised it straight away on the Sky interview but equally praised our defending which I thought he had every right to do.
DM on 19:34 - Aug 23 with 2827 viewsAngelRangelQS

Good result but I can't help but think we got away with it to an extent.

I thought the back 4 and Fabianski were excellent, Ash more so than the others but other than that nobody covered themselves in much glory. Shelvey, Ki and Bony were dreadful I thought and out wide I am expecting Montero to stake a claim on Tuesday night (assuming he starts) for WBA next week. Same with Carroll.

It's encouraging that we weren't at our best and still got a win. Not hugely impressed with Burnley either - hard working definitely but no real quality. I hope they stay up (not at our expense obviously) but I can't see it. Given the possession they had in and around our area they should have created far more than they did.

All that said, 3 points, a clean sheet, another assist from gylfi and another different goalscorer is superb.
DM on 19:34 - Aug 23 with 2826 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

DM on 19:31 - Aug 23 by londonlisa2001

I agree with you - we dropped 10 yards back and handed them the initiative -we did it last week as well.

Still, defended well (largely coming from Fabianski, who really commanded he box and Ash who was outstanding) and they didn't create much.

I would like to see us continue to drive forward, never sure why we don't, maybe hard to keep it up, maybe we get more concerned about not conceding rather than scoring again.

I look forward to seeing the next couple of games - hopefully we learn from our weaknesses - Monk certainly recognised it straight away on the Sky interview but equally praised our defending which I thought he had every right to do.

We've been doing it since he took charge. He sorted it towards the end of last season but I am speechless as to why he allowed it to happen today. It was clearly his chosen tactic as he at no point encouraged the players forward during the second half.

DM on 19:40 - Aug 23 with 2774 viewsTom1912

I don't think it was a tactic on our part.

For me the biggest factor from our point of view was centre midfield. Shelvey went to pieces second half and we desperately needed Britton.

We were struggling to keep the ball comfortabley at the back and couldn't build our attack like we did first half because they pressed us higher and with more tempo. Britton would have helped things ticking and allowed us to move the ball into the space we needed to move forward. Without him the momentum wasn't there and we were disjointed when moving forward. We continually had players in positions with no support and we were unable to sustain possession.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024