Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I blame Wayne Routledge's self lob and cross field long pass.... 13:54 - Dec 1 with 2136 views_

Too clever by half that was and at 1-0, not the time to be show boating.

Ok, that is slightly tongue in cheek but I commented at the time that the first 20 minutes were so easy for the players that they just thought themselves so much better than Palace that we got cocky; lazy in thought and mind as Palace were all over the shop in that period. They were so stunned by us they were hoofing balls into touch when trying to pick out team-mates, making mistake after mistake and gifting us possession at will.

How things can change in football so quickly. That wasn't good "game management" as Garry Monk likes to talk about. It was to be the exact point when we lost the extra 2 points.

Bony was so deep when he sloppily misplaced his pass that led to their corner and by the time he went off second half had offered us nothing more whatsoever. That's a worry. We had more chances as the game wore on but i'm fairly confident most of us felt more than frustrated leaving there with just the point.

How can a team go from thinking this is too easy to a team not able to find rhythm, to not be able to wrestle the momentum back and for a team to hold it's hands up and admit a draw was a fair result in the end - even if Monk said differently.

We've had a solid start to the season and in fairness to Monk if the expectations are higher it's to his credit they are. I am not blind to where we are in the league and to how well we have played at times. But I do feel frustrated enough to put pen to paper. The league is taking shape more and more now, we're dropping down to perhaps a more realistic position but for anyone with ambition in the fan base or at the club we should be conscious of maximising our every potential and Saturday we didn't. It wouldn't be a disaster if a resurgent QPR came down here tomorrow and took something from the game but it would be a concern.

So a couple of points that have frustrated me recently.

* Why talk of 8 or 9 games? Why be so naive to give journo's gold dust like that? Especially when a home banker goes out the window in the very first one? There's a reason there are so many cliche's in football and Monk would do well to realise this and even if he has to put his own slant on them, still just grit your teeth and pop them out.

* Shelvey was struggling Saturday. It's not impossible for Ki and him to play together but they are not naturally suited as a midfield pair and this was becoming more and more evident as Palace were getting in amongst us and spoiling our game. Monk has to be bold here and realise our style of play was being compromised and our fluidity gone. We had decent possession against Palace but more and more recently we are seeing less and less of the ball, which leads me onto the last frustration....

* giving advantages away. Monk talks about us being more solid, using effective game management to see games out perhaps. Well no, it's not working and needs changing. At the moment going ahead is the worst outcome for the Swans and we've lost more points from winning positions than any other team. Couple that unwanted stat to the recent one where only Villa were behind us in chances created then we need to address this and fast. I'm not asking for us to go gung ho as we potentially did that against Palace and lost a sloppy goal. But we need to be braver on the ball once more and utilise our creative talent efficiently. We've got a striker who must have got some of the best stats ever in converting chances created and we have Siggy who's assisting him for fun.

I'm also very worried about Nathan Dyer as he seems to have fallen off a cliff. Are these all injuries he's getting or something more as he's just not looked the part much all season. Someone asked me after reading Jenkins programme notes who did I think we should bring in during January and I couldn't make up my mind at the time. In the passing hours since I'd go in for an attacking wing forward type, someone with a genuine goal threat and a central midfielder. Someone that would bring genuine balance to the centre of our midfield. I wouldn't be too concerned about our defence to be honest, so far, on the whole we've been more than solid in every position there.
[Post edited 1 Dec 2014 14:29]

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

I blame Wayne Routledge's self lob and cross field long pass.... on 14:13 - Dec 1 with 2091 viewstomdickharry

Great post. One player of the type you mentioned to bring in in January would be Juraj Kucka of Slovakia currently playing for Genoa.Top draw midfield player whom I have mentioned previously,to sum him up 6ft1in, hard as nails, brilliant engine and can play as well.
I blame Wayne Routledge's self lob and cross field long pass.... on 14:13 - Dec 1 with 2091 viewsPrivate_Partz

Lots of good points there and I think the setting of targets over a period of matches is not a good ploy. In fairness to Gary he is not alone. Other managers and particularly players do the same. It does put unnecessary pressure on the team.
It was indeed very easy for us at the start of the game but a lot if hard work went into that. We were on top of our passing game and patiently waited for an opening before releasing players thereby creating some excellent chances which we unfortunately did not convert. We seemed to be setting ourselves up for a top performance with showboating creeping into the game. This is fine. I just feel we should have had a couple more goals in the game before moving on to this phase.
Then came the penalty. Warlock admits he was worried up until this point. The equaliser gave them hope and they played with more belief. In all sports once you take your foot off the gas it is a hell of a job to get back up to the standards you had set earlier and so it was with us.
Nathan is just having one of those seasons. His pass to Bony against Man City was sublime and I am sure he will get back to form once he is fit.
There are lessons to be learnt and Gary is the youngest managers learning his trade. I am hopeful that these experiences will make him an even better manager in the future. He has certainly exceeded all my expectations so far.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

I blame Wayne Routledge's self lob and cross field long pass.... on 14:58 - Dec 1 with 1991 viewsicecoldjack

You would have thought that the players know nothing is easy by now!!

Rout's failed lob and pass was ok by me though, we want our players to express themselves and it's taken Routs years to get the point where he has the confidence to play his natural game.

He generally plays his percentages well does our Wayne.
I blame Wayne Routledge's self lob and cross field long pass.... on 15:13 - Dec 1 with 1962 viewsLeonisGod

Some good points in there' Bony personified the 'over-confident approach', but did you notice how he stopped the flicks in the second half and was mostly holding up the ball before laying it off. Someone had a quiet word with him at half time I'm sure. But yep, there's no need to go into show-boat mode when were 1 up. Keep it tight and controlled and loo for the second. The irony is that when we played the more simple ball combined with plenty of movement we were more effective and could cut through them pretty much at will.
I blame Wayne Routledge's self lob and cross field long pass.... on 15:28 - Dec 1 with 1930 viewsParlay

This is a great post T2C, constructive, well written and some terrific points.

There is no doubt, and i made is patently clear before the match, there was some horrific over confidence going into the Palace match. It was a recipe for a fall and i think it may have filtered to the players too, i think everybody was guilty.

I hope we don't go into tomorrows match with the same attitude.

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

I blame Wayne Routledge's self lob and cross field long pass.... on 15:53 - Dec 1 with 1891 viewsClinton

Epic post. But a couple of points:
- On Dyer, are you making a mountain out of a molehill? With Barrow on the bench, which most of us like, theres no space for another winger on the bench. So we keep Dyer fresh for tomorrow, I prefer Dyer to Routs on the right anyway. With four decent wingers (im including Barrow), one of them will be disappointed every match.
- On Shelvey,some of his behaviour on the pitch is reckless. He's 'out of sorts'. Its a man management thing for Garry to sort him out.
[Post edited 1 Dec 2014 15:54]

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

I blame Wayne Routledge's self lob and cross field long pass.... on 15:56 - Dec 1 with 1879 viewsParlay

I blame Wayne Routledge's self lob and cross field long pass.... on 15:53 - Dec 1 by Clinton

- On Dyer, are you making a mountain out of a molehill? With Barrow on the bench, which most of us like, theres no space for another winger on the bench. So we keep Dyer fresh for tomorrow, I prefer Dyer to Routs on the right anyway. With four decent wingers (im including Barrow), one of them will be disappointed every match.
- On Shelvey,some of his behaviour on the pitch is reckless. He's 'out of sorts'. Its a man management thing for Garry to sort him out.

Dyer also looked knackered after 30 mins against Citeh. I made the point after the match and asked what could be the reasoning for this, nobody seemed to know. He was so knackered he couldn't run at times, and was noted by a load of people there. Something aint right with our Nath but he is clearly having some fitness issues.

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

I blame Wayne Routledge's self lob and cross field long pass.... on 15:59 - Dec 1 with 1869 views_

I blame Wayne Routledge's self lob and cross field long pass.... on 15:53 - Dec 1 by Clinton

No my point or worry about Dyer and I meant to add this into the OP but I'm not sure Barrow is ready yet. I know he's had fleeting glimpses here and there and has pace to burn but when we needed someone to have an impact on the game he fell short. I know he burst out of defence and anything could have happened then but he gave the ball away in good attacking possession three, four, maybe five times.

It's too early for him let's face it. How can anyone go from the Swedish lower leagues to Premier League level just like that?

I'm not knocking him either, I just feel he should be used as last resort.

Routs could have stayed on the pitch and Monk should have had the guts to haul off Shelvey for Carroll or Leon, it's as simple as that. I genuinely think Monk was afraid of bringing off a fabled England international for either one of those two to be honest.

But the game was crying out for us to get more grip on the ball in the middle of the park. Routs and Montero would've been a lot more effective had that happened too.

Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Login to get fewer ads

I blame Wayne Routledge's self lob and cross field long pass.... on 16:01 - Dec 1 with 1863 views_

I blame Wayne Routledge's self lob and cross field long pass.... on 15:56 - Dec 1 by Parlay

Dyer also looked knackered after 30 mins against Citeh. I made the point after the match and asked what could be the reasoning for this, nobody seemed to know. He was so knackered he couldn't run at times, and was noted by a load of people there. Something aint right with our Nath but he is clearly having some fitness issues.

I agree and fleeting glimpses here and there it's been like this all season. He's a new father isn't he? Maybe something to do with this. Not an excuse by the way, just surmising.

I blame Wayne Routledge's self lob and cross field long pass.... on 16:18 - Dec 1 with 1820 viewsJJJack

I blame Wayne Routledge's self lob and cross field long pass.... on 16:01 - Dec 1 by _

I agree and fleeting glimpses here and there it's been like this all season. He's a new father isn't he? Maybe something to do with this. Not an excuse by the way, just surmising.

Actually Shelvey is also a new father as are a number of other players (rANGEL, lEON, possibly Taylor?). I remember there being a massive "baby boom" within the club over the last yr or 2. People are just bloody stupid if they think this doesn't make a difference to people....of course it does. Tiredness and sometimes an effect on mindset can occur....hell even Garry himself had twins born earlier this year. Heaven only knows how he's managed running a Prem club with that situation at home. By and large , other Managers would have had their kids years earlier so probably not such a serious hinderence.
It is an issue but it is what it is so let's hope it settles down soon.
I blame Wayne Routledge's self lob and cross field long pass.... on 16:21 - Dec 1 with 1810 viewsClinton

I blame Wayne Routledge's self lob and cross field long pass.... on 15:59 - Dec 1 by _

No my point or worry about Dyer and I meant to add this into the OP but I'm not sure Barrow is ready yet. I know he's had fleeting glimpses here and there and has pace to burn but when we needed someone to have an impact on the game he fell short. I know he burst out of defence and anything could have happened then but he gave the ball away in good attacking possession three, four, maybe five times.

It's too early for him let's face it. How can anyone go from the Swedish lower leagues to Premier League level just like that?

Routs could have stayed on the pitch and Monk should have had the guts to haul off Shelvey for Carroll or Leon, it's as simple as that. I genuinely think Monk was afraid of bringing off a fabled England international for either one of those two to be honest.

But the game was crying out for us to get more grip on the ball in the middle of the park. Routs and Montero would've been a lot more effective had that happened too.

OK. Happy for Shelvey being replaced by Carroll / Leon.
Taking your point on Barrow, assuming Montero and Routs start, do we still have Barrow on the bench at the expense of Dyer ? I think we agree we should have him there, but only use him in extremis ?
[Post edited 1 Dec 2014 16:22]

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

I blame Wayne Routledge's self lob and cross field long pass.... on 16:24 - Dec 1 with 1803 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Said the same, so no tongue in cheek from me ,it all went a bit t its up after that bit of show boating from Routs.I hope he had a bollocking of the gaffer.

Its gone ,lets get behind the boys tomorrow and get back on track.

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

I blame Wayne Routledge's self lob and cross field long pass.... on 16:31 - Dec 1 with 1791 views_

I blame Wayne Routledge's self lob and cross field long pass.... on 16:21 - Dec 1 by Clinton

OK. Happy for Shelvey being replaced by Carroll / Leon.
Taking your point on Barrow, assuming Montero and Routs start, do we still have Barrow on the bench at the expense of Dyer ? I think we agree we should have him there, but only use him in extremis ?
[Post edited 1 Dec 2014 16:22]

But what's with this one game here and there with Nath lately? He missed the Sturday before last then started at City then completely missed Palace?

Something funny there.

I blame Wayne Routledge's self lob and cross field long pass.... on 17:01 - Dec 1 with 1755 viewstomdickharry

I blame Wayne Routledge's self lob and cross field long pass.... on 16:18 - Dec 1 by JJJack

Actually Shelvey is also a new father as are a number of other players (rANGEL, lEON, possibly Taylor?). I remember there being a massive "baby boom" within the club over the last yr or 2. People are just bloody stupid if they think this doesn't make a difference to people....of course it does. Tiredness and sometimes an effect on mindset can occur....hell even Garry himself had twins born earlier this year. Heaven only knows how he's managed running a Prem club with that situation at home. By and large , other Managers would have had their kids years earlier so probably not such a serious hinderence.

I wonder what problems people with a weekly wage of £200 encounter ?
I blame Wayne Routledge's self lob and cross field long pass.... on 17:41 - Dec 1 with 1681 viewssomersetsimon

Addressing the first part of your post, I do wonder if our new sports psychologist is earning his money. If the opposition changes tactics after we score, then it's the manager's job to try and adjust for that. However, We do get these situations like on Saturday when the opposition scores against the run of play when we are playing well. When that happens, we seem to lose focus. We should be able to put that behind us and carry on playing the way that got us into the lead in the first place.
I blame Wayne Routledge's self lob and cross field long pass.... on 17:48 - Dec 1 with 1667 viewsfootball2301

I blame Wayne Routledge's self lob and cross field long pass.... on 15:59 - Dec 1 by _

Routs was shocking and either lost the ball or gave it away should of been dragged half time as was montero he had a good 15 mins then Reuther had. It taken off of him or gave it away ur blank shelvey because of a penalty that never was and a miss watch the game properly take the blinkers off
I blame Wayne Routledge's self lob and cross field long pass.... on 18:10 - Dec 1 with 1628 viewsScoobyWho

I blame Wayne Routledge's self lob and cross field long pass.... on 16:18 - Dec 1 by JJJack

We would all be shagging like fck on 30k a week !

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

I blame Wayne Routledge's self lob and cross field long pass.... on 20:03 - Dec 1 with 1524 viewsDrizzy

Can't believe I read more than two sentences of that cliche-ridden arsedribble.

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

I blame Wayne Routledge's self lob and cross field long pass.... on 21:49 - Dec 1 with 1399 viewsAl_Bundy

Don't quite understand Routs.. on his day he can be the best player on the pitch but for some reason he just falls to pieces . This happens in most matches. He either starts well and goes downhill or he has a poor start and comes into his own in the last 20 mins.
I blame Wayne Routledge's self lob and cross field long pass.... on 22:30 - Dec 1 with 1340 viewsNeathJack

".... Monk should have had the guts to haul off Shelvey for Carroll or Leon, it's as simple as that. I genuinely think Monk was afraid of bringing off a fabled England international for either one of those two to be honest. "

Utter bunkum
I blame Wayne Routledge's self lob and cross field long pass.... on 01:26 - Dec 2 with 1218 viewsWanderer

good post, bit overlooked in comments, Gary's mouthpiece on the field, Ash Williams should intervene, after all he is closer to the players to tell them when to pull their heads in and put the foot on the ball,
I blame Wayne Routledge's self lob and cross field long pass.... on 09:35 - Dec 2 with 1083 viewsPrivate_Partz

I blame Wayne Routledge's self lob and cross field long pass.... on 18:10 - Dec 1 by ScoobyWho

We would all be shagging like fck on 30k a week !

Father's Camp is the answer.
Get them out of the house at nights so they can have a good nights sleep and the mother's can have a nanny to help them ;-)

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

I blame Wayne Routledge's self lob and cross field long pass.... on 15:29 - Dec 2 with 959 views_

I blame Wayne Routledge's self lob and cross field long pass.... on 22:30 - Dec 1 by NeathJack

".... Monk should have had the guts to haul off Shelvey for Carroll or Leon, it's as simple as that. I genuinely think Monk was afraid of bringing off a fabled England international for either one of those two to be honest. "

Utter bunkum

Daillew agrees with you.... says it all.

I blame Wayne Routledge's self lob and cross field long pass.... on 17:07 - Dec 2 with 903 viewsRancid

Cracking post that, Chris.We were having this conversation earlier in the week about Routedge's antics and we all agreed that it was totally inappropriate and would have got right up Palace's nose.I remember trundle doing keepy uppies by the corner flag down the Vetch (can't remember against who).Anyway a big centre half volleyed him into the Jewson Stand and rightly so.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024