Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FAO Gaming nerds 20:36 - Nov 9 with 2516 viewsDyfnant

My son wants X Box 1 for xmas, should the 500G one be good enough and what does with/without Kinect mean. TIA

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

FAO Gaming nerds on 20:38 - Nov 9 with 2513 viewsJackfath

Isn't the Kinect the bit that picks up ones movement?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

FAO Gaming nerds on 20:39 - Nov 9 with 2509 viewsdickythorpe

Get the one that looks like a coat and has a hood. Then tell him to put it on and go outside and breathe in that fresh air.
FAO Gaming nerds on 20:40 - Nov 9 with 2503 viewsblueytheblue

Go retro get an original playstation ;)

I tend to do a lot of gaming, though not fps due to poor reaction times, but for me gaming these days is more about the story than gameplay... some of the original playstation games had amazing gameplay... I mean bust a move - simple but addictive gameplay.

Mind you Silent Hill still scares the s*** out of me so...

Poll: Alternate POTY final

FAO Gaming nerds on 20:47 - Nov 9 with 2484 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Kinect is pretty useless. You're best off having a look at it on YouTube and see if you'd get any use out of it.

You're better off purchasing a Playstation 4 however if you must have an Xbox then 500GB is more than enough.

There are some crazy prices for the Xbox floating around now. You can pick up the console plus 3 brand new games worth £35+ for < £250 quite often.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

FAO Gaming nerds on 20:50 - Nov 9 with 2473 viewsAnotherJohn

Being the dad of a gaming nerd rather than one myself I hesitate to comment, but think that 500GB is a bit small to hold lots of today's games. I have just stuck in a 2TB HDD in a PS4 after complaints from my lad that he was having to delete £40 games to make room for new ones with the original 500GB drive. The games may be on disk but you use up HDD space by installing quite large files to make the games work. By the way upgrading the HDD on a PS4 isn't that difficult and costs around £70-£80.
FAO Gaming nerds on 21:36 - Nov 9 with 2440 viewsEvenThisNameIsTaken

Why get the struggling system (Xbox One)?

Why not get the console with much better games and massive exclusives coming during christmas and in 2016 ?? The PS4. I'm still shredding away over Bloodborne and waiting for No Man's Sky to arrive. Even the games that are on both consoles look much more impressive on the PS3.

And before anyone claims this is fanboy-ism - it isn't. For relatively the same price, it's basic common sense to go for the more powerful surely, and the PS4 would be my recommendation. (I also have the xbox one by the way but much prefer the PS4).

Poll: Goal 2 - scored by who?

FAO Gaming nerds on 21:40 - Nov 9 with 2435 viewsNeath_Jack

FAO Gaming nerds on 21:36 - Nov 9 by EvenThisNameIsTaken

Why not get the console with much better games and massive exclusives coming during christmas and in 2016 ?? The PS4. I'm still shredding away over Bloodborne and waiting for No Man's Sky to arrive. Even the games that are on both consoles look much more impressive on the PS3.

And before anyone claims this is fanboy-ism - it isn't. For relatively the same price, it's basic common sense to go for the more powerful surely, and the PS4 would be my recommendation. (I also have the xbox one by the way but much prefer the PS4).

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

FAO Gaming nerds on 21:45 - Nov 9 with 2422 viewsJonTheJack

FAO Gaming nerds on 21:36 - Nov 9 by EvenThisNameIsTaken

Lol ^

That post is every bit as fanboy as you denied.

To the OP. Just look at the games you want your kid to play and then buy accordingly. Kinect is only good for voice commands, and I have got by just fine with a 500gb hard drive; although I'm always more inclined to buy the discs to sell them on after. You can also connect an external USB3.0 hard drive and easily transfer games if you don't want to delete them.

I have an Xbox, but I'll be picking up the PS4 over the holidays because of the games they have coming up like Unchartered etc. Xbox has Halo, Gears of War, Sunset Overdrive (I'm sure your kid will love this one) etc - like I said; look at the games you both want to play and then decide.

It's also worth bearing in mind what his friends have because he'll end up playing online. If most of them have PS4; then that may be the way to go because he won't want to be left out when they're all online together.

Enjoy!
Login to get fewer ads

FAO Gaming nerds on 22:01 - Nov 9 with 2405 viewsEvenThisNameIsTaken

FAO Gaming nerds on 21:45 - Nov 9 by JonTheJack

Lol ^

To the OP. Just look at the games you want your kid to play and then buy accordingly. Kinect is only good for voice commands, and I have got by just fine with a 500gb hard drive; although I'm always more inclined to buy the discs to sell them on after. You can also connect an external USB3.0 hard drive and easily transfer games if you don't want to delete them.

I have an Xbox, but I'll be picking up the PS4 over the holidays because of the games they have coming up like Unchartered etc. Xbox has Halo, Gears of War, Sunset Overdrive (I'm sure your kid will love this one) etc - like I said; look at the games you both want to play and then decide.

It's also worth bearing in mind what his friends have because he'll end up playing online. If most of them have PS4; then that may be the way to go because he won't want to be left out when they're all online together.

Enjoy!

Yeah - sure. Proper fanboy.

Just like eyeing up two tv's - one with 720p resolution and another with all the features of the earlier, but with a amoLED screen, wi-fi and 4k resolution. Both are the same price, but you have a choice over which is the better TV. The 720p resolution TV is limited in it's capability, and the 4K TV is future proof.

Common sense really and in no way fanboy-ism! Which one would you go for if you had an educated choice?

FAO Gaming nerds on 23:19 - Nov 9 with 2370 viewsDyfnant

FAO Gaming nerds on 21:45 - Nov 9 by JonTheJack

Lol ^

Enjoy!

That's the driver, what his mates have to join them online

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

FAO Gaming nerds on 23:57 - Nov 9 with 2349 viewsscottishjack

FAO Gaming nerds on 23:19 - Nov 9 by Dyfnant

Agree, my lad loved his Xbox and 360 but this time round he wanted a PS4... Cause that's what all his friends had... I thought it was him just following the crowd until he pointed out online play.
FAO Gaming nerds on 03:01 - Nov 10 with 2321 viewsphact0rri

Depending how much digital content vs Box copies is really the biggest varient in choosing the model. yes all games install on the hard drive, however for the most part one usually keeps digital only on the hardrive more than boxed copies as the waiting download can sometimes take ages depending on the game. 500 is a great entry level and great for most people. also upgrading the harddisk in the future isn't a massive undertaking.

Kinnect is a perefrial that has a camera with a motion sensor and a mic. most games don't require it, but the voice controls could be useful. think of it like the wii but your body is the controller I suppose.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

FAO Gaming nerds on 08:31 - Nov 10 with 2262 viewsJFSwan

On the Xbox one you can uninstall finished games to make room, without deleting them they will retain and be "ready to install"

Kinect is the camera sensor thing so you play games simular to the Nintendo wii, jumping around the room and that.
FAO Gaming nerds on 09:37 - Nov 10 with 2242 viewsJonJack

Always found the Kinect type stuff a bit of a novelty if I'm honest. By Boxing Day people are fed up of running up and down on the spot and prefer to sit down and shoot people online. The Kinect is/was about £130 with not many games for it too so if it was me I'd give it a miss.

Memory on the XBox probably depends how you buy the games. If you buy the discs I'm sure he'll be fine with that memory but if you will digitally download them then that may be different dependent on the number of games of course he owns over time.
FAO Gaming nerds on 09:50 - Nov 10 with 2238 viewsSwanzay

Kinect is just a device that allows Govts to watch and listen to your every move.........
FAO Gaming nerds on 10:10 - Nov 10 with 2220 viewsLord_Bony

Ps4 is good for music and ipalyer etc but I prefer pc for gaming I can't get on with it.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

FAO Gaming nerds on 10:28 - Nov 10 with 2208 viewsWhiterockin

FAO Gaming nerds on 23:19 - Nov 9 by Dyfnant

This is the most important point for any youngster. Imagine him/her having something and can't join in with their mates.
FAO Gaming nerds on 11:26 - Nov 10 with 2185 viewsEvenThisNameIsTaken

FAO Gaming nerds on 08:31 - Nov 10 by JFSwan

On the Xbox one you can uninstall finished games to make room, without deleting them they will retain and be "ready to install"

Kinect is the camera sensor thing so you play games simular to the Nintendo wii, jumping around the room and that.

Same as on the PS4.

Also, the PS4 takes voice instructions too via the PS4 camera.... again, people here are claiming it's a feature only on XBone without knowing the full facts. I own both consoles see.

And let's not forget, the PS4 has outsold the XBone 2.5:1 - therefore it goes without saying the chances your friends will be online with the PS4 is greater.

If you want an opinion here on what to get your son, then why not take an honest answer from someone with BOTH systems like myself !??

But of course, whatever I say regardless of the fact, is fanboy-ism apparently.

Oh, and another fact you may all be interested (and one that has been mentioned by Microsoft themselves) is that they are struggling for the top exclusive games. Consider their timed exclusivity of the next Tomb Raider game, which they confirm was necesary as the only means they have to go up against PS4's Uncharted 4. Look at the video below to see why. Developers aren't stupid, and the PS4 will continue to receive the lions share of exclusives and PS4-only software - yet another consideration you need to make when weighing up the expensive console purchase!

[Post edited 10 Nov 2015 11:35]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024