Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Number Plates in British Fictional TV and Film Productions 09:46 - Jan 31 with 4711 viewsSwaneeRiver

I know this is slightly anal, but it distracts me every time I watch programmes made in the UK and read the number plates.
They are always from Swansea.
I guess they are probably unused plates, and appreciate that no doubt the production companies buy the right to use them from the DVLA, but why don't they issue unused ones appropriate to the region where the programme is set.
I've seen it in endless London productions (eg London's Burning with Swansea plates on their fire engines), as well as productions set in other regions of the mainland UK
Any answers DVLA employees ?
Number Plates in British Fictional TV and Film Productions on 09:57 - Jan 31 with 4680 viewsHighjack

Pretty sure there's a number of plates that are used specifically for tv. I know they do it with mobile phone numbers so if a number is shown on eastenders or whatever someone doesn't get bombarded with calls.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Number Plates in British Fictional TV and Film Productions on 10:05 - Jan 31 with 4659 viewsLoyal

Number Plates in British Fictional TV and Film Productions on 09:57 - Jan 31 by Highjack

Pretty sure there's a number of plates that are used specifically for tv. I know they do it with mobile phone numbers so if a number is shown on eastenders or whatever someone doesn't get bombarded with calls.

I saw a satellite dish on a house once in a World War Two movie, can't remember the name, fck all to do with the thread but I bet the OP looks out for double glazing as well in films.

I do.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Number Plates in British Fictional TV and Film Productions on 10:27 - Jan 31 with 4629 viewsSwaneeRiver

Number Plates in British Fictional TV and Film Productions on 10:05 - Jan 31 by Loyal

I saw a satellite dish on a house once in a World War Two movie, can't remember the name, fck all to do with the thread but I bet the OP looks out for double glazing as well in films.

I do.

I do indeed.
The favourite game me and Mrs Swanee play when watching TV (especially with the advent of Tivo, etc, where you can wind back and forth) is to spot mistakes in continuity. You know the type - glass full, then half empty, then full again.
Some of these programmes cost millions yet the production staff miss silly things quite often
Number Plates in British Fictional TV and Film Productions on 10:35 - Jan 31 with 4609 viewsPegojack

Number Plates in British Fictional TV and Film Productions on 10:05 - Jan 31 by Loyal

I do.

I always watch out for the scene in the Battle of Britain where Ian McShane, a British fighter pilot, has gone to his oppo Robert Shaw's cottage to spend the night with the latter's family because his own family has just been killed in the Blitz.

When they get up early in the morning and leave the cottage to drive back to base, there's a very modern electric doorbell pusher and wire attached to the front door. Did they have those 'Ding dong, Avon calling' type doorbells in the war?
Number Plates in British Fictional TV and Film Productions on 10:37 - Jan 31 with 4602 viewsLoyal

Number Plates in British Fictional TV and Film Productions on 10:35 - Jan 31 by Pegojack

I always watch out for the scene in the Battle of Britain where Ian McShane, a British fighter pilot, has gone to his oppo Robert Shaw's cottage to spend the night with the latter's family because his own family has just been killed in the Blitz.

When they get up early in the morning and leave the cottage to drive back to base, there's a very modern electric doorbell pusher and wire attached to the front door. Did they have those 'Ding dong, Avon calling' type doorbells in the war?

They were pushing round planes on a big board back then in the ops room which always baffled me. I assume as we could fly planes across Europe and bomb the fck out of everyone that a doorbell wouldn't be beyond their Capabilities ?

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Number Plates in British Fictional TV and Film Productions on 10:47 - Jan 31 with 4584 viewsexiledclaseboy

They're Swansea numbers because they're issued from Swansea for the specific purposes of making said TV programme.

Poll: Tory leader

Number Plates in British Fictional TV and Film Productions on 10:53 - Jan 31 with 4562 viewsWarwickHunt

Number Plates in British Fictional TV and Film Productions on 10:47 - Jan 31 by exiledclaseboy

They're Swansea numbers because they're issued from Swansea for the specific purposes of making said TV programme.

What the Swansea numbers these day? Haven't got a clue since the old WN and CY days.
Number Plates in British Fictional TV and Film Productions on 10:55 - Jan 31 with 4546 viewsexiledclaseboy

Number Plates in British Fictional TV and Film Productions on 10:53 - Jan 31 by WarwickHunt

What the Swansea numbers these day? Haven't got a clue since the old WN and CY days.

CP-CV. I think. Not really my area these days.

Login to get fewer ads

Number Plates in British Fictional TV and Film Productions on 10:55 - Jan 31 with 4545 viewsWxmJax

I was watching Endeavour the other week and a guy changed colour while being thrown in to a river.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Number Plates in British Fictional TV and Film Productions on 10:57 - Jan 31 with 4537 viewsWarwickHunt

Number Plates in British Fictional TV and Film Productions on 10:55 - Jan 31 by exiledclaseboy

CP-CV. I think. Not really my area these days.

Thanks.

Not a patch on the old letters. Nostalgia, eh?
Number Plates in British Fictional TV and Film Productions on 10:58 - Jan 31 with 4527 viewsexiledclaseboy

Number Plates in British Fictional TV and Film Productions on 10:57 - Jan 31 by WarwickHunt

Thanks.

Not a patch on the old letters. Nostalgia, eh?

C for Cymru see.

Number Plates in British Fictional TV and Film Productions on 11:43 - Jan 31 with 4474 viewsswanstillidai

Number Plates in British Fictional TV and Film Productions on 10:58 - Jan 31 by exiledclaseboy

C for Cymru see.

Does Trampie approve of this?
Number Plates in British Fictional TV and Film Productions on 11:51 - Jan 31 with 4457 viewsHighjack

Number Plates in British Fictional TV and Film Productions on 10:55 - Jan 31 by WxmJax

I was watching Endeavour the other week and a guy changed colour while being thrown in to a river.

Are you suggesting that the white actor was too important to be chucked into the river so they chucked a black man in instead? Outrageous behaviour.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Number Plates in British Fictional TV and Film Productions on 14:33 - Jan 31 with 4379 viewslondonlisa2001

Number Plates in British Fictional TV and Film Productions on 10:58 - Jan 31 by exiledclaseboy

C for Cymru see.

Is it?

I'd always assumed it was for Cardiff in the same way as my car starts with a 'L' for London.

I'd always found it very annoying that Swansea cars were allocated Cardiff plates so that's cheered me up.

Two things I've learnt today about such geographical matters on here - that, and the fact that Newcastle is in a different country to the rest of the UK.
Number Plates in British Fictional TV and Film Productions on 14:40 - Jan 31 with 4369 viewsexiledclaseboy

Number Plates in British Fictional TV and Film Productions on 14:33 - Jan 31 by londonlisa2001

Is it?

I'd always assumed it was for Cardiff in the same way as my car starts with a 'L' for London.

I'd always found it very annoying that Swansea cars were allocated Cardiff plates so that's cheered me up.

Two things I've learnt today about such geographical matters on here - that, and the fact that Newcastle is in a different country to the rest of the UK.

Definitely Cymru, not Cardiff. L is indeed the London tag but (for example) M is used for both Manchester and Merseyside.
[Post edited 31 Jan 2016 15:03]

Number Plates in British Fictional TV and Film Productions on 14:51 - Jan 31 with 4352 viewslondonlisa2001

Number Plates in British Fictional TV and Film Productions on 14:40 - Jan 31 by exiledclaseboy

Definitely Cymru, not Cardiff. L is indeed the London tag but (for example) M is used for both Manchester and Merseyside.
[Post edited 31 Jan 2016 15:03]

Excellent news.

To be honest Swansea to me will always remain 'WN' or 'CY' as those were the plates on my first cars.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024