Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
**Do We Need a Defensive Coach** 10:13 - Feb 7 with 996 viewsAl_Bundy

I decided yesterday to watch our defence with and without the ball and it appears anything coming straight down the middle passed through or long ball we seem to be able to handle every time.When the ball went wide and crosses came in we looked very disorganised to the point nobody acutally knows who to pick up. There was one corner in the first half yesterday when Dann , Jediak and Adebayor were neither picked up by Ash or Fernandez with Ash stood i the 6 yard box watching the corner taker and Fernandez was looking around in panic mode trying to find someone to pick up. Palace had 3 clear unchallenged headers in the first half and Mutch was given the freedom to leave his marker and Dann also lose his with ease when Palace scored. Do we have some sort of phobia or a bigger fear of failing when challenging for aerial crosses? This i fear has and will be our weakness and threat to keeping us out of the bottom three if not addressed.There are lots of positives and improvements but we need a plan at the back very quickly.
**Do We Need a Defensive Coach** on 10:17 - Feb 7 with 980 viewsBrynmill_Jack

An attacking coach would help. Or ditching the diamond...............

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

**Do We Need a Defensive Coach** on 10:22 - Feb 7 with 964 viewsA_Fans_Dad

We have had 14 goals scored against us by Corner kicks, joint second worst in the Prem.
We do not appear to have anybody who actually watches the flight of the ball and challenges for it first, all we seem to do is "react" by which time it is too late.
Bony was a superb defender in this respect, he new where to be and attacked the ball coming in.
As we are so poor at it perhaps we should forget having an outlet and defend the area with all eleven players, with at least on between the area and the corner taker to cut down his choices and at least one behind the area for the longer kicks.
**Do We Need a Defensive Coach** on 10:29 - Feb 7 with 937 viewsJoe_bradshaw

It's a good point about Bony and even Gomis has been very effective in defending the near post ball that undid us yesterday.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

**Do We Need a Defensive Coach** on 11:45 - Feb 7 with 850 viewsWxmJax

I used to enjoy watching Bony defend corners. That and people bouncing off him.

Perhaps that's why we're not that good at defending them now, there's been no need to do so in recent times. Maybe use Ki or Cork in a similar position to defend them.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

**Do We Need a Defensive Coach** on 12:07 - Feb 7 with 806 viewsA_Fans_Dad

**Do We Need a Defensive Coach** on 11:45 - Feb 7 by WxmJax

Perhaps that's why we're not that good at defending them now, there's been no need to do so in recent times. Maybe use Ki or Cork in a similar position to defend them.

Maybe Fer is the man for it at 6' 2"?
**Do We Need a Defensive Coach** on 12:08 - Feb 7 with 804 viewsPrivate_Partz

**Do We Need a Defensive Coach** on 11:45 - Feb 7 by WxmJax

We tightened up when Curt took over. More so since Frankie has been here. Let's give him a chance eh? It would not surptprise me if the two assistants ts he has brought with are well versed in defensive tactics.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

**Do We Need a Defensive Coach** on 12:25 - Feb 7 with 758 viewsHugeEnkins

**Do We Need a Defensive Coach** on 12:08 - Feb 7 by Private_Partz

We tightened up when Curt took over. More so since Frankie has been here. Let's give him a chance eh? It would not surptprise me if the two assistants ts he has brought with are well versed in defensive tactics.

Yes, exactly. Said the same thing on another thread. Give them a chance. I'm well aware we need points asap too.
**Do We Need a Defensive Coach** on 12:33 - Feb 7 with 734 viewsBrynmill_Jack

**Do We Need a Defensive Coach** on 12:25 - Feb 7 by HugeEnkins

Yes, exactly. Said the same thing on another thread. Give them a chance. I'm well aware we need points asap too.

Did anyone see CP do a one two and skip down our almost unguarded left flank and wonder "why the f*ck aren't we doing that"?

It's not as if we didn't have the opportunities

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Login to get fewer ads

**Do We Need a Defensive Coach** on 12:40 - Feb 7 with 714 viewsfelixstowe_jack

**Do We Need a Defensive Coach** on 10:22 - Feb 7 by A_Fans_Dad

We have had 14 goals scored against us by Corner kicks, joint second worst in the Prem.
We do not appear to have anybody who actually watches the flight of the ball and challenges for it first, all we seem to do is "react" by which time it is too late.
Bony was a superb defender in this respect, he new where to be and attacked the ball coming in.
As we are so poor at it perhaps we should forget having an outlet and defend the area with all eleven players, with at least on between the area and the corner taker to cut down his choices and at least one behind the area for the longer kicks.

It is 14 goals from set pieces NOT CORNERS. I can remember several from free kicks. (two by Erikson, one by Chelses first game of the season) I am sure there are others as well) I wonder if it includes penalties as well.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

**Do We Need a Defensive Coach** on 12:43 - Feb 7 with 701 viewsHighjack

There was one free kick in the second half where rangel ended up marking adebayor. You don't need a defensive coach to know that's potentially a f ucking disaster waiting to happen.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

**Do We Need a Defensive Coach** on 13:07 - Feb 7 with 656 viewsjasper_T

We've just hired two new Italian coaches. Give them a chance ffs.
**Do We Need a Defensive Coach** on 13:16 - Feb 7 with 625 viewsGiff

Another problem is "defending blind" - when the opposition break, a number of our players rush back to get goal side of the ball. They do not consider the positions being taken up by the attackers.
It is not enough just to get goal side, you must be aware of the ball and the opposition forwards.
**Do We Need a Defensive Coach** on 15:03 - Feb 7 with 517 viewssully49

**Do We Need a Defensive Coach** on 13:07 - Feb 7 by jasper_T

Spot on Mr T, although when I first saw the OP I immediately thought of Alan Tate JB

Poll: Is there any way for Lee Trundle to play in this squad?

**Do We Need a Defensive Coach** on 15:05 - Feb 7 with 516 viewsClinton

Agree. It's in their DNA to defend well. They have this week before Southampton to work properly with the players having seen a handful of games from the bench Then another fortnight before the Spurs game. Only then will we start to see Guidolins true influence.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

**Do We Need a Defensive Coach** on 15:30 - Feb 7 with 489 viewsPrivate_Partz

I noticed that the way Frankie was leaping up and own he is far from happy with the way we are playing at times. I am sure he will be working on lots of things on the training ground.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

**Do We Need a Defensive Coach** on 15:31 - Feb 7 with 488 viewsGriffting

In terms of zones we handle the first post awfully and have done since Bony left. Any ball coming into the back post you'd like to think your keeper would come and claim. The one vs west brom and the one vs Norwich away are perfect examples, lofted to the back post and fabianski should be eating that up all day long. And the second ball we must be the worst team in the league at reacting to the second ball on a corner.
In terms of attacking corners well, there is absolutely no belief from the players they're going to get on the end of something. Fede prime example yesterday, no aggression or purpose when attacking the ball. Although Ayew was unlucky at the back post and the ash volley was just reaction which he probably connected too well with.
The way FG was talking about the set pieces after the game it looks like he's gonna be working them all week!
**Do We Need a Defensive Coach** on 15:51 - Feb 7 with 474 viewsAl_Bundy

Well said The Don..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35513597

Think we could be finally getting somewhere.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024