Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. 15:37 - Sep 16 with 1774 viewswaynekerr55

https://www.indy100.com/article/only-a-true-grammar-fiend-can-get-90-or-more-on-

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 15:49 - Sep 16 with 1022 viewslondonlisa2001

I can't imagine how anyone could get any of those wrong? I mean is it really only a 'grammar fiend' who knows the difference between there and their or knows that 'a lot' is two words rather than one?
FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 16:09 - Sep 16 with 1004 viewsDafyddHuw

FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 15:49 - Sep 16 by londonlisa2001

I can't imagine how anyone could get any of those wrong? I mean is it really only a 'grammar fiend' who knows the difference between there and their or knows that 'a lot' is two words rather than one?

Dunno, but there was a teacher on here a couple of weeks ago, who is actually teaching kids at secondary level, who couldn't differentiate between "advice" and "advise".
"Shudder".
I don't know what his education record is, but they're obviously letting any tool stand up in front of a classroom these days.
So I'm not remotely surprised our kids' education standards are going through the floor.
FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 16:16 - Sep 16 with 998 viewssquarebear

My woman (secondary school teacher) reckons the recruitment process at her school consists of "whoever applies stands an 80% chance of being employed".

Some teachers are known to the school as being shyte but they still get appointed. After all, SOMEONE has to be in the classroom to look after the kids.

Not good.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2016 16:17]
FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 18:35 - Sep 16 with 949 viewswaynekerr55

FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 15:49 - Sep 16 by londonlisa2001

What about discreet and discrete?

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 19:37 - Sep 16 with 911 viewsGreatBritton

I looked at the test that was "made" by Miranda Gilbert and when I saw that it was all about spelling not grammar I knew the barbarians were already through the gate.

Grammar = structure
Spelling, well, it's spelling, isn't it?

I've given up on disinterested meaning impartial. There's only me and Warwick left.
FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 19:38 - Sep 16 with 910 viewsexiledclaseboy

Piece of p*ss.

Poll: Tory leader

FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 19:46 - Sep 16 with 903 viewsLohengrin

FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 19:37 - Sep 16 by GreatBritton

I looked at the test that was "made" by Miranda Gilbert and when I saw that it was all about spelling not grammar I knew the barbarians were already through the gate.

Grammar = structure
Spelling, well, it's spelling, isn't it?

I've given up on disinterested meaning impartial. There's only me and Warwick left.

I take "disinterested" to stand for the absence of personal investment.

Warwick pulled me up on that earlier, I take it you saw that? What is your view?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 19:48 - Sep 16 with 899 viewsexiledclaseboy

"A heroic" or "an heroic".

Clearly the former.

Login to get fewer ads

FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 19:50 - Sep 16 with 894 viewsexiledclaseboy

FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 19:46 - Sep 16 by Lohengrin

I take "disinterested" to stand for the absence of personal investment.

Warwick pulled me up on that earlier, I take it you saw that? What is your view?

The absence of personal investment is "uninterested".

Disinterest is someone who's impartial.

FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 19:52 - Sep 16 with 888 viewsmonmouth

FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 19:38 - Sep 16 by exiledclaseboy

Piece of p*ss.

Yep. P*ss of piece.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 19:54 - Sep 16 with 885 viewsLohengrin

FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 19:50 - Sep 16 by exiledclaseboy

The absence of personal investment is "uninterested".

Disinterest is someone who's impartial.

So you're saying that "disinterest" equates to indifference of outcome?

FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 19:55 - Sep 16 with 882 viewsexiledclaseboy

FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 19:54 - Sep 16 by Lohengrin

So you're saying that "disinterest" equates to indifference of outcome?

As I understand it yes. I too have been lectured by Warwick on the matter.

FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 19:58 - Sep 16 with 879 viewsmonmouth

FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 19:55 - Sep 16 by exiledclaseboy

As I understand it yes. I too have been lectured by Warwick on the matter.

Hmm....but if you are impartial and unbiased you are often very interested in the outcome, in terms of it being scrupulously fair, if not in the way the coin falls. So, context dependent?

FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 19:58 - Sep 16 with 878 viewsLohengrin

FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 19:48 - Sep 16 by exiledclaseboy

"A heroic" or "an heroic".

Clearly the former.

I should day so. "An" is meant to precede a word starting with a vowel, or so I was taught. For saying that you often see it used otherwise, I've probably done it myself without thinking.

FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 20:01 - Sep 16 with 870 viewsexiledclaseboy

FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 19:58 - Sep 16 by monmouth

Hmm....but if you are impartial and unbiased you are often very interested in the outcome, in terms of it being scrupulously fair, if not in the way the coin falls. So, context dependent?

Speak to Warwick. He'll be very firm about it even if he's wrong.

FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 20:01 - Sep 16 with 868 viewsmonmouth

FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 19:58 - Sep 16 by Lohengrin

I should day so. "An" is meant to precede a word starting with a vowel, or so I was taught. For saying that you often see it used otherwise, I've probably done it myself without thinking.

It was always an hotel wasn't it? because posh folk said 'otel? The 'h' becomes a pseudo vowel and silent in some cases. Heroic being another one.

Penlan education see.

FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 20:02 - Sep 16 with 866 viewsLohengrin

FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 20:01 - Sep 16 by exiledclaseboy

Speak to Warwick. He'll be very firm about it even if he's wrong.

There probably is a hard and fast rule. I may have transgressed it and now he's out the garden with his air rifle taking potshots at a tub of Brylcreem.

FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 20:03 - Sep 16 with 865 viewsexiledclaseboy

FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 19:58 - Sep 16 by Lohengrin

An precedes words which start with a vowel sound, not necessarily a vowel itself. Hence " half an hour" because the h is silent.

FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 20:05 - Sep 16 with 854 viewsmonmouth

FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 20:03 - Sep 16 by exiledclaseboy

An precedes words which start with a vowel sound, not necessarily a vowel itself. Hence " half an hour" because the h is silent.

Penlan education see.

FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 20:07 - Sep 16 with 850 viewsexiledclaseboy

FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 20:05 - Sep 16 by monmouth

Penlan education see.

Innit. Many of these rules disappear in the spoken word when accent and dialect come into play. In many parts of South Wales we'd use "an" a lot more because we drop pretty much all of our aitches naturally when speaking.

I offer no such justification when writing.

FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 20:09 - Sep 16 with 849 viewsLohengrin

FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 20:03 - Sep 16 by exiledclaseboy

Are you Dick Van Dyke?

FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 20:09 - Sep 16 with 847 viewsBanosswan

16. Ffs.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 20:10 - Sep 16 with 844 viewsexiledclaseboy

FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 20:09 - Sep 16 by Lohengrin

Are you Dick Van Dyke?

If you're emphasising the "h" in "hour" it's you that has van Dyke issues.

FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 20:10 - Sep 16 with 843 viewsLeonisGod

FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 18:35 - Sep 16 by waynekerr55

What about discreet and discrete?

Yep, that got me. Which is spelling and not grammer in any case. And i was watching the footie at the same time. Thats my exkuse and Im stiking too it.
FAO Warwick, Lohengrin, Great Britton et al. on 20:12 - Sep 16 with 840 viewsyescomeon

13/16, happy enough with that.

Upthecity!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024