Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
car advice! 18:43 - Jun 2 with 3616 viewstreboethjack

Right, need some input please guys. took my car for a service today as I'm going up north Wales next week and I haven't had it checked in a while. Was expecting or 2 things but I well underestimated it! basically it needs about £8-900 worth of work on various things. Now I could afford to get the work done but the thing I keep asking myself is A) What REALLY needs doing and is what they are telling me completely true or are they just trying to make more £'s and B) is it worth it when you consider I have a 52 plate civic with 80k+ on the clock.
Normally I'm happy to have a go at changing parts myself depending on how much work is involved but these seem a bit too much for my experience.

Any advice massively appreciated!!

Tim gorau Cymru ers 1912

car advice! on 18:47 - Jun 2 with 3042 viewsblueytheblue

A) Without knowing what's been said, no-one can tell you if something is needing doing. If you've got the report from a garage you regularly use, have a good relationship with then chances are they aren't looking to fleece you. I've gone to the same garage for 15 years now, they've always gone over and above to help a regular customer.

B) What engines are in the civics - Honda ones ( which may blow up, see Alonso ) or is it an engine from another supplies?

Drive a Toyota Avensis, was 9 yrs old when I got it, good condition, 80k miles. 150k on the clock now, had no major problems; had to replace the odd part but saves on buying a new car when the engine is still good for quite a while.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

car advice! on 18:55 - Jun 2 with 3023 viewsCooperman

Which garage? The chains have some horror stories associated with them.

And, what does £900 of repairs get you?

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

car advice! on 18:55 - Jun 2 with 3023 viewsmax936

2nd opinion TJ, I used to use Peter Garward in Neath Abbey for Lads old Corsa, but he's changed car now and its under warranty till 2019 so will have to use Main Dealer till then I expect. If you want Pete's number I'll pm you.
[Post edited 2 Jun 2017 18:56]

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

car advice! on 18:58 - Jun 2 with 3009 viewstreboethjack

I've recently moved so I don't currently have a regular garage. I took it to Halfords for what its worth? Some things that need doing include:

Rear brake cylinder (leaking fluid) - This is my priority at the moment .
Suspension arm pair
Shock absorbers front (bushes worn)
Both rear coils are corroded
Various other bits that I can fix such as REG plate bulb, rear wiper blade (they wanted £35)

Tim gorau Cymru ers 1912

car advice! on 19:00 - Jun 2 with 3003 viewsmax936

car advice! on 18:58 - Jun 2 by treboethjack

I've recently moved so I don't currently have a regular garage. I took it to Halfords for what its worth? Some things that need doing include:

Suspension arm pair
Various other bits that I can fix such as REG plate bulb, rear wiper blade (they wanted £35)

Ask locals around where you now live, for a mechanic that does the odd darker, bound to be one that frequents the near by Local.
[Post edited 2 Jun 2017 19:01]

car advice! on 19:05 - Jun 2 with 2982 viewsCooperman

Suspension arm pair

I had a feeling you would mention Halfords. Generally, don't touch them with the proverbial barge pole. Get a second opinion from local private entities as advised by the kind people of Planet Swans.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

car advice! on 19:05 - Jun 2 with 2982 viewstreboethjack

I only had 1 advisory in my MOT in October which was the bushes.

Tim gorau Cymru ers 1912

car advice! on 20:07 - Jun 2 with 2918 viewsmax936

car advice! on 19:05 - Jun 2 by treboethjack

That'll tell you enough then TJ, same happened when lad took his old Corsa to Kwick-Fit for an MOT a few yrs ago they give him a list which was probably 300 to 400 quids worth of work, I took it to a mate of JBG's and apart from a couple of simple cheapish jobs around 80 to 100 quid including the cost of the MOT and happy days.
[Post edited 2 Jun 2017 21:26]

Login to get fewer ads

car advice! on 21:02 - Jun 2 with 2863 viewsraynor94

car advice! on 19:05 - Jun 2 by treboethjack

Take it to gem in Morriston most honest garage around, guarantee it won't cost as much as Halfords

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

car advice! on 21:06 - Jun 2 with 2854 viewsblueytheblue

Echo the point about Halford, Kwik Fit et al.

Small garages need regular customers, so won't mess you around ( for the most part ).
Chains aren't there to fix things, they are there to sell things.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

car advice! on 22:33 - Jun 2 with 2780 viewsSoberBaker

Suspension arm pair

Brake cylinders - Priority - £40-50 per side max
Suspension arms - Have you heard any noises from front end? Are your front tyres wearing unevenly?
Shock absorbers (bushes worn) - Hate to say this but these don't have ANY bushes attached to them - Bullshyte from Halfrauds I'm afraid!
Both rear coils corroded - You'll see this advised on MoT with 50% + cars over the age of 8 yr old - Ignore until it becomes an issue.

If, just if, all that needed doing I'd expect to be charged in the region of £450-£600

Avoid.

AMOW

car advice! on 22:34 - Jun 2 with 2775 viewsJack123

car advice! on 21:06 - Jun 2 by blueytheblue

Echo the point about Halford, Kwik Fit et al.

Small garages need regular customers, so won't mess you around ( for the most part ).
Chains aren't there to fix things, they are there to sell things.

I have heard lot's of bad stories about Halfords, and Kwik Fit, I would never go near them..Take your car to a local garage then report the halfords shysters to trading standards, or watchdog..

libera nos a malo

car advice! on 22:37 - Jun 2 with 2769 viewsWxmJax

Anyhow, where in North Wales are you coming to ?

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

car advice! on 22:42 - Jun 2 with 2757 viewsSwansea93

Jamie Short in Llansamlet is a good reliable garage.

Poll: Can Montero do it on a rainy Saturday afternoon?

car advice! on 22:43 - Jun 2 with 2751 viewsjack2jack

I can only echo what others have said, don't touch Halfords or any such like, get a couple of quotes,and do the easy stuff yourself if possible.Good honest garages are worth their weight in gold. Good luck with it anyway
car advice! on 23:09 - Jun 2 with 2725 viewsbazzool

car advice! on 18:55 - Jun 2 by max936

2nd opinion TJ, I used to use Peter Garward in Neath Abbey for Lads old Corsa, but he's changed car now and its under warranty till 2019 so will have to use Main Dealer till then I expect. If you want Pete's number I'll pm you.
[Post edited 2 Jun 2017 18:56]

Peter garward? That rings a bell, is it or was it monastory motors ? If so i went there on work experience, tidy garage and peter is sound, didnt he do grass track racing aswell, anyway good garage
car advice! on 00:02 - Jun 3 with 2680 viewsmax936

car advice! on 23:09 - Jun 2 by bazzool

Peter garward? That rings a bell, is it or was it monastory motors ? If so i went there on work experience, tidy garage and peter is sound, didnt he do grass track racing aswell, anyway good garage

Top man is Peter, I don't know his backround or him personally, one of the fellas who used to post on here, PMed me his number a few yrs back when I asked for some advice on here about a problem lad had with his car [head gasket] he sorted it lad never had a problem afterwards which apparently is rare with Corsa's ecotech engine's, we traded the car in earlier this yr, hopefully its still going strong.

car advice! on 13:34 - Jun 3 with 2568 viewstreboethjack

car advice! on 22:37 - Jun 2 by WxmJax

Anyhow, where in North Wales are you coming to ?

Very helpful advise guys, cheers! I've decided to get a second opinion.
Going to Borth for a weekend (Not sure if its technically Mid or North) Love it up there as it's near enough to Aber but also nice and quiet by the beach.

Tim gorau Cymru ers 1912

car advice! on 13:47 - Jun 3 with 2557 viewsdickythorpe

Enjoy Borth. If you go to nearby Bow Street there's a nice Chinese take away called Green Fields.
car advice! on 13:49 - Jun 3 with 2556 viewsswanforthemoney

I realise it may not that close for you, but Roger Blackmore in Sketty keeps my old motors on the road for reasonable money.

I stand in the North Stand

car advice! on 14:10 - Jun 3 with 2543 viewstreboethjack

Are any of the parts things that I could get 2nd hand from pick up spares or are they not worth the risk?

Tim gorau Cymru ers 1912

car advice! on 14:25 - Jun 3 with 2524 viewsSoberBaker

car advice! on 14:10 - Jun 3 by treboethjack

Are any of the parts things that I could get 2nd hand from pick up spares or are they not worth the risk?

No. They are all wearable parts. It's not like buying a wing mirror or a radio etc.

Get a second opinion 👍

AMOW

car advice! on 14:34 - Jun 3 with 2509 viewsGowerjack

I can reccomend Paul Jackett in Cilibion.

Honest and reliable.

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

car advice! on 14:35 - Jun 3 with 2508 viewstreboethjack

car advice! on 14:25 - Jun 3 by SoberBaker

No. They are all wearable parts. It's not like buying a wing mirror or a radio etc.

Get a second opinion 👍

Ok cheers, thought I'd check just in case.

Tim gorau Cymru ers 1912

car advice! on 17:09 - Jun 3 with 2436 viewsWhiterockin

car advice! on 13:49 - Jun 3 by swanforthemoney

I realise it may not that close for you, but Roger Blackmore in Sketty keeps my old motors on the road for reasonable money.

I use Blackmore and can recommend.

Engine managment light came on and main dealer wanted £600. Went to Blackmore and he cleaned something (a filter?) with an air lead and there was no problem with the car for the couple of years I kept it. They charged me about £35 to plug in and test. I told them how much the dealer wanted so if they wanted to con me they could have charged a couple of hundred and I would have still been happy.

Have used them ever since.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024