Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea 13:08 - Sep 3 with 2595 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

I drove from High Street to Cwmbwrla to Fforestfach to Gowerton today I lost count of the number of cameras, it felt quite Orwellian.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 14:47 - Sep 3 with 1974 viewsWhiterockin

Preparation for the 20mph?

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 16:40 - Sep 3 with 1944 viewsEagleEye

Nanny state being implemented by the House of Drakeford.

Money making scheme but who benefits ?
Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 17:58 - Sep 3 with 1915 viewsWingstandwood

Sadly there is a 'revenue raising' aspect especially when it comes to (night vision capable) mobile speed camera vans that blatantly station themselves whilst hidden by bends and darkness on steep hill climb 'hot-spots', that give an illusion of slower speed.

Those (they work!) LED speed signs/lights that show the driver what speed he/she is travelling at, along with 'slow down' message are effective.

But hey, those attract the immediate attention of drivers more focused on the road ahead as opposed to the speed dial, but drivers slowing down and being helped to be speed aware is not favourable for creating a nice juicy never-ending revenue stream.

And if every fixed camera location came with an early speed warning LED sign a distance ahead of the speed camera that drivers would then associate with speed cameras and speed awareness? That would create safer driving but less revenue from fines. So slamming on the brakes or not spotting a speed camera is ironically of no concern.

Argus!

Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 18:08 - Sep 3 with 1904 viewsonehunglow

Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 17:58 - Sep 3 by Wingstandwood

Sadly there is a 'revenue raising' aspect especially when it comes to (night vision capable) mobile speed camera vans that blatantly station themselves whilst hidden by bends and darkness on steep hill climb 'hot-spots', that give an illusion of slower speed.

Those (they work!) LED speed signs/lights that show the driver what speed he/she is travelling at, along with 'slow down' message are effective.

But hey, those attract the immediate attention of drivers more focused on the road ahead as opposed to the speed dial, but drivers slowing down and being helped to be speed aware is not favourable for creating a nice juicy never-ending revenue stream.

And if every fixed camera location came with an early speed warning LED sign a distance ahead of the speed camera that drivers would then associate with speed cameras and speed awareness? That would create safer driving but less revenue from fines. So slamming on the brakes or not spotting a speed camera is ironically of no concern.

Went for a drive to Bala recently
I did my advance tests over the Denbigh moors at crazy speeds
Now it’s average cameras all the way
I’m glad I got rid of my bikes
No fun anymore

Little fun in driving at all really

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 18:17 - Sep 3 with 1889 viewsWingstandwood

Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 18:08 - Sep 3 by onehunglow

No fun anymore

Those average speed cameras have really upped the game, technology is everywhere and things have progressed even further with computer technology and stuff like number plate recognition etc. It's crazy how things have changed so dramatically in only a few decades.

Argus!

Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 18:31 - Sep 3 with 1883 viewsmax936

No fun anymore

People who drive daily and especially people like me who drive to various jobs every day will be the ones to suffer, bet there's going to be quite a few off the road due to totting up, it's gonna be difficult in trying to keep vehicles to 20mph, its between gears for one thing, which no doubt will create even more emissions.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 18:40 - Sep 3 with 1867 viewslifelong

No fun anymore

Driving at excess speed is not fun it’s downright dangerous and costs many lives.
Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 18:57 - Sep 3 with 1866 viewsmajorraglan

Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 14:47 - Sep 3 by Whiterockin

Preparation for the 20mph?

It’s been like that for a while. I had a long discussion with a highways guy a few years ago when I had issues with speeders. Generally, speed camera’s appear in response to complaints from local communities and there’s a process that has to be followed before they can put a camera up. Generally, the local authority will put down a traffic flow and speed analyser (normally a couple of wires linked to a metal box) which records speeds, the type of vehicle (cars, HGV’s, motorbikes etc) times dates etc which the Highways people then use to extract all sorts of data. If a certain proportion of vehicles exceed the speed limit by a fixed percentage then it’s put forward for enforcement whether that’s a camera or van.

I think there is a place for the 20mph speed limits, outside schools, parks etc but a blanket speed limit is mental.
Login to get fewer ads

Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 19:16 - Sep 3 with 1849 viewsFireboy2

Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 16:40 - Sep 3 by EagleEye

It's happening everywhere, better the static cameras than the mobile b@stards 😡
Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 19:50 - Sep 3 with 1827 viewsTogg

Meal ticket comes to mind along with easy target!
Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 21:02 - Sep 3 with 1788 viewsFireboy2

Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 19:50 - Sep 3 by Togg

Meal ticket comes to mind along with easy target!

Just don't speed 🤷
Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 21:39 - Sep 3 with 1773 viewsbuilthjack

Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 16:40 - Sep 3 by EagleEye

They don’t have speed cameras in England or Scotland ?

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 22:59 - Sep 3 with 1759 viewsonehunglow

Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 21:39 - Sep 3 by builthjack

They do indeed but Welsh forces look to English bikers in particular as s means of revenue
Nothing to do with safety , just starts
The deaths on north Wales roads are disproportionate to the population and Chief Cons get stick at every meeting with Hone Office officials

Derbyshire police another force obsessed with cameras

Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 07:57 - Sep 4 with 1687 viewslifelong

Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 18:40 - Sep 3 by lifelong

Driving at excess speed is not fun it’s downright dangerous and costs many lives.

5 people a day are killed on UK roads with 84 a day seriously injured, if anything we need more speed cameras.
Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 08:20 - Sep 4 with 1679 viewsWhiterockin

Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 07:57 - Sep 4 by lifelong

5 people a day are killed on UK roads with 84 a day seriously injured, if anything we need more speed cameras.

Pre-pandemic and since 2012 there has been little change in the number of deaths and serious injuries annually, although there are more speed cameras. Taken from the same report.

I am not against speed limits and cameras, but there has to be common sense where they are applied.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2023 8:21]

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 08:39 - Sep 4 with 1662 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 07:57 - Sep 4 by lifelong

Main contributing factors of road accidents

https://www.statista.com/statistics/323079/contributing-factors-leading-to-road-

Speed is not the main issue, it's much more complicated than that.

Facts on Road Fatalities - GOV.UK

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attac
[Post edited 4 Sep 2023 9:03]

Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 09:02 - Sep 4 with 1638 viewslifelong

Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 08:39 - Sep 4 by JACKMANANDBOY

https://www.statista.com/statistics/323079/contributing-factors-leading-to-road-

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attac

Even if those figures are entirely accurate it still means that 5 people a week are killed and 60 people a week are seriously injured by speeding drivers.
Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 09:18 - Sep 4 with 1618 viewsonehunglow

Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 08:39 - Sep 4 by JACKMANANDBOY

Huge issue is drug driving
Anyone who drives drugged up shouod forfeit the vehicle as they should with drink drivers

Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 09:27 - Sep 4 with 1615 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 09:02 - Sep 4 by lifelong

Even if those figures are entirely accurate it still means that 5 people a week are killed and 60 people a week are seriously injured by speeding drivers.

Duplicate post
[Post edited 4 Sep 2023 9:34]

Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 09:32 - Sep 4 with 1612 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 09:02 - Sep 4 by lifelong

All I was saying is it's a complex picture. These are public policy decisions, banning motorcycles would save more deaths than eliminating speeding if that was ever possible. Banning smoking would save 70000 deaths and 700000 hospital admissions each year in the UK.
Whenever I am told by politicians that things are done in our interest, I always check to some degree what I am being told, the basis of decision making and the opportunity cost.
For example if you invested £30M in cancer diagnosis rather than traffic signs how many lives would that save?
MRI scanners are typically £250,000 depending on the model, 120 scanners could increase our capacity in Wales by about 500 patients a day or 250,000 a year.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2023 9:33]

Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 09:49 - Sep 4 with 1583 viewsonehunglow

Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 09:32 - Sep 4 by JACKMANANDBOY

All I was saying is it's a complex picture. These are public policy decisions, banning motorcycles would save more deaths than eliminating speeding if that was ever possible. Banning smoking would save 70000 deaths and 700000 hospital admissions each year in the UK.
Whenever I am told by politicians that things are done in our interest, I always check to some degree what I am being told, the basis of decision making and the opportunity cost.
For example if you invested £30M in cancer diagnosis rather than traffic signs how many lives would that save?
MRI scanners are typically £250,000 depending on the model, 120 scanners could increase our capacity in Wales by about 500 patients a day or 250,000 a year.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2023 9:33]

More cars hit and kill bikers than vice versus
Car drivers see their Tim box as personal space and / or penile status symbol

Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 15:46 - Sep 4 with 1518 viewsEagleEye

Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 21:39 - Sep 3 by builthjack

Of course they do but I am not aware of a plan to implement a blanket 20mph speed limit there
Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 16:10 - Sep 4 with 1492 viewsFireboy2

Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 15:46 - Sep 4 by EagleEye

Of course they do but I am not aware of a plan to implement a blanket 20mph speed limit there

I cant comment on wales but there are quite a few streets where I live that have 20 mph limits, built up areas are getting worse for d!ckheads speeding.

When I go to fatal rtc's most are caused by people speeding, it is the biggest cause of deaths on the road.
Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 16:33 - Sep 4 with 1478 viewsEagleEye

Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 16:10 - Sep 4 by Fireboy2

I cant comment on wales but there are quite a few streets where I live that have 20 mph limits, built up areas are getting worse for d!ckheads speeding.

When I go to fatal rtc's most are caused by people speeding, it is the biggest cause of deaths on the road.

Speed kills no doubt, there are already 20mph limits around many schools & narrow neighbourhood streets. A blanket 20mph speed limit is going to cause as many problems as it will solve whereas the money to implement could be spent more effectively elsewhere. Hiding behind the environmental argument is not convincing anyone, it’s just an attempt by the government in Wales to be seen to be doing things differently, it’s absolute bollux
Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 16:39 - Sep 4 with 1476 viewsonehunglow

Speed Cameras Proliferate in Swansea on 16:33 - Sep 4 by EagleEye

Speed kills no doubt, there are already 20mph limits around many schools & narrow neighbourhood streets. A blanket 20mph speed limit is going to cause as many problems as it will solve whereas the money to implement could be spent more effectively elsewhere. Hiding behind the environmental argument is not convincing anyone, it’s just an attempt by the government in Wales to be seen to be doing things differently, it’s absolute bollux

I see both sides.
Fire boy will be sent to the sharpest of ends,the mud ,guts and blood . It leaves its mark .

I used to ride motorbikes,at high speeds and even though Class 1 advanced I would admit to excessive speed and on a bike you can never be sure of the d1kheads in cars ,their personal steel cage .
Less speeding bikers now though for sure so it’s done the job as regards speeds in rural areas .
Around urban areas ,hmmm.

Biggest problem is drugs and drink.Still.And lack of training.
Passing a rudimentary test to get a licence doesn’t mean you can drive a car well.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024