Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? 19:15 - Apr 7 with 19528 viewsHammersmithR

Why didn’t he come on the pitch with his team mates? Clearly didn’t fancy it.
Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 15:29 - Apr 11 with 2351 viewsAntti_Heinola

Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 15:18 - Apr 11 by sparkey

Rumours circulating on Twitter he's gone in the summer.

No idea how reliable this is, but I'm assuming not very.

I think it's been clear for some time he'll be off in the summer.

Bare bones.

Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 15:33 - Apr 11 with 2293 viewsdaveB

Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 15:18 - Apr 11 by sparkey

Rumours circulating on Twitter he's gone in the summer.

No idea how reliable this is, but I'm assuming not very.

I think it's pretty obvious he's going to go. He has spent the last few years talking of development etc which you've seen with Warbs, Beale and Critchley appointments. Bringing in Ainsworth a clear indication they were going away from that, Amit & Rueben said as much on the offish a month or so back
Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 15:38 - Apr 11 with 2252 viewsrobith

Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 15:25 - Apr 11 by kensalriser

All the hatred and spittle flecked invective is getting a bit wearing.

I walked out on 63 minutes vs Preston. People around me had full blown lost it, screaming abuse about Ferdinand and the players, and there was nothing there to defend so I thought "I don't really want to watch this bunch of shite while the guy next me screams how he wants them to die", so I got my coat and went to the pub.

But part of me wonders what people think will happen? Will we suddenly become amazing once he departs? Or will they just scream at the next bloke?
[Post edited 11 Apr 2023 15:39]
Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 15:41 - Apr 11 with 2208 viewsgazza1

Its probably time he goes......good luck to him - he's a good man.

We need to stopping all this abuse towards the man, he does his best and has done since he signed from Hayes many years ago. It's disgraceful what is being said in some quarters.
Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 15:44 - Apr 11 with 2199 viewsslmrstid

Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 15:38 - Apr 11 by robith

I walked out on 63 minutes vs Preston. People around me had full blown lost it, screaming abuse about Ferdinand and the players, and there was nothing there to defend so I thought "I don't really want to watch this bunch of shite while the guy next me screams how he wants them to die", so I got my coat and went to the pub.

But part of me wonders what people think will happen? Will we suddenly become amazing once he departs? Or will they just scream at the next bloke?

They will without a doubt scream at the next bloke, but as far as the club's direction of travel its clear Les' plan has not worked so I think something has to change.
Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 15:51 - Apr 11 with 2148 viewsrobith

Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 15:44 - Apr 11 by slmrstid

They will without a doubt scream at the next bloke, but as far as the club's direction of travel its clear Les' plan has not worked so I think something has to change.

I'm not saying he should stay - and my opinion is pretty redundant since his position is basically untenable now. I just cba with a world where we think everything is solved by one change and being super abusive, whilst everyone gees each other on to appear more outraged than the last. Just found it all quite sad
Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 15:56 - Apr 11 with 2100 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I’ve never brought into it that Ferdinand is the main source of our failures. These ‘fck Les Ferdinand’ chants at Preston and WBA broke my heart A) because he’s a hero of my era and B) because I don’t think he deserves it.

Whatever anyone says, he has some proven successes and shared successes from what was a standing start:

Financial Stability ✅
30+ Graduate First Team appearances ✅
New Training Facilities delivered ✅
Big Player Sales ✅

The scale and speed of these just hasn’t been big enough.

Failures have come when we’ve diverted from plan (the Austin / Johannson conundrum) IMO. That’s on him I assume and ultimately he’s the Director of Football and the football has been shit. Hard to recover from.

I’ll not be worried if he stays by the way. I want to see what a season or two with the new facilities delivers.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2023 18:01]
Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 16:06 - Apr 11 with 2035 viewsslmrstid

Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 15:51 - Apr 11 by robith

I'm not saying he should stay - and my opinion is pretty redundant since his position is basically untenable now. I just cba with a world where we think everything is solved by one change and being super abusive, whilst everyone gees each other on to appear more outraged than the last. Just found it all quite sad

I'm with you!
Login to get fewer ads

Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 16:07 - Apr 11 with 2029 viewshubble

Religion, going way back, created the scapegoat figure who would embody all the sins of the tribe, and by sacrificing them, the tribe would appease their god or gods. (Amongst early Jewish tribes it actually was a goat, hence the name). Les Ferdinand is that scapegoat and QPR is a minor cult within the wider body of the religion known as football.

And I mean that seriously; in the spiritual vaccum of the post-materialist age, football - the world's no. 1 sport - has taken the place of religion for many people, whether they are conscious of this or not; so much faith is invested in a club's progress, its traditions and narrative, its codes, hymns (chants), colours, uniforms and so on. So it's no surprise to hear that people have 'lost the plot' screaming for Les to be sacked; it's absolutely akin to a religious experience for them. And they are desperate for the club's fortunes, with which they indentify, to change.

For those of us who can take a more sanguine approach to football, it might well appear vulgar, but then most populist religions are fairly vulgar - certainly crude. Of course the roots of religion lie in something far more sublime, and the human experience, outside of the material 'reality' that many believe they inhabit, is equally sublime. And also farcical, tragic, heroic, mundane... Choose your narrative, or have it chosen for you. Les is facing a new chapter in his story, as is the club. Such is the religion of football and life. Shankly wasn't joking.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 16:07 - Apr 11 with 2004 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 15:56 - Apr 11 by BazzaInTheLoft

I’ve never brought into it that Ferdinand is the main source of our failures. These ‘fck Les Ferdinand’ chants at Preston and WBA broke my heart A) because he’s a hero of my era and B) because I don’t think he deserves it.

Whatever anyone says, he has some proven successes and shared successes from what was a standing start:

Financial Stability ✅
Big Player Sales ✅

Failures have come when we’ve diverted from plan (the Austin / Johannson conundrum) IMO. That’s on him I assume and ultimately he’s the Director of Football and the football has been shit. Hard to recover from.

I’ll not be worried if he stays by the way. I want to see what a season or two with the new facilities delivers.

Didn't you say recently that he should be in situ for another decade?

Financial stability? Hmm, interesting bearing in mind the most recent accounts.

30+ Graduate First Team appearances? Hmm, how many regular starters from among those graduates - and how many have earned us a big transfer fee?

New training facilities delivered? Fair enough, but not actually sure that's on him.

Big player sales? Hmm, Eze aside, hasn't he made a loss overall?

Our DoF should have been someone barely anyone had heard of who had done the job well at a similar-sized club somewhere in Europe. It should not have been someone who was still 'learning on the job' as Uncle Tony famously said later on.

Of course he's not solely to blame for our failures but he is quite literally the 'Director of Football' so it's not unreasonable to apportion blame for him when the footballing side hasn't accounted for much.
Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 16:11 - Apr 11 with 2008 viewsRangersw12

Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 16:07 - Apr 11 by Wegerles_Stairs

Didn't you say recently that he should be in situ for another decade?

Financial stability? Hmm, interesting bearing in mind the most recent accounts.

30+ Graduate First Team appearances? Hmm, how many regular starters from among those graduates - and how many have earned us a big transfer fee?

New training facilities delivered? Fair enough, but not actually sure that's on him.

Big player sales? Hmm, Eze aside, hasn't he made a loss overall?

Our DoF should have been someone barely anyone had heard of who had done the job well at a similar-sized club somewhere in Europe. It should not have been someone who was still 'learning on the job' as Uncle Tony famously said later on.

Of course he's not solely to blame for our failures but he is quite literally the 'Director of Football' so it's not unreasonable to apportion blame for him when the footballing side hasn't accounted for much.

As per the LSA minute's with the club Hoos is Ferdinand boss and is responsible for contracts and responsible for the budget so he's at fault for the accounts

Ferdinand position is untenable but Hoos has to go aswell
Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 16:31 - Apr 11 with 1965 viewsAntti_Heinola

Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 15:51 - Apr 11 by robith

Great posts Robith. Not going atm for the same reason. Sat at the Brum game and it was just furious people and terrible football. I just can't deal with going to something that should be fun and experiencing a toxic atmosphere. What's the point? I don't blame people for being angry to be clear, but equally I just thought: why put myself through having to listen to it?

And to your other point, Wegerle's stairs has already posted on another thread words to the effect of 'Les goes, PE teachers go and we're on our way'. It's this sort of belief that a few firings and sackings will change everything that constantly gets clubs into messes imo. I think Les's direction of travel at the start was spot on, and for periods under Warbs it really felt like it was on track - young players spotted early and being brought through, good football, sales at the end of each season allowing us to invest more. But it all started to crumple 14 months ago. Does that mean everything Les did or tried was wrong? Of course not, but equally I think this season says that it's time for a fresh perspective.

Bare bones.

Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 16:36 - Apr 11 with 1929 viewsslmrstid

Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 16:11 - Apr 11 by Rangersw12

As per the LSA minute's with the club Hoos is Ferdinand boss and is responsible for contracts and responsible for the budget so he's at fault for the accounts

The one potential saving grace for Hoos (not saying whether he should stay or go, or whether he will be staying or going) is that its the Board of Directors who decide strategy, then executive management who enact it.

So if the Board intended for the club to lose £24m as part of its gamble for promotion, then Hoos can't be criticised for delivering that result. The sense of such a decision is of course very questionable.

If however the loss was as much of a surprise to the Board as it was to us (doubtful, or if it was thats a shocking dereliction of duty by the Board) then of course that would rightfully leave Hoos open to a lot of criticism.
Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 16:37 - Apr 11 with 1923 viewsAntti_Heinola

Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 16:11 - Apr 11 by Rangersw12

Hoos would only be allowed to spend what the owners allow. If the owners are willing to keep investing, the accounts will show that. If they tell him to break even, we would not have signed who we did 2 seasons back. I know we all want a bogeyman to pin everything on to, but as usual, the situation is far more nuanced.
Equally, if the board have told him to break even and he hasn't and he's paying fees without telling them first, I suspect they'd probably fire him.

Bare bones.

Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 17:06 - Apr 11 with 1842 viewsQPR_Jim

Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 16:37 - Apr 11 by Antti_Heinola

Hoos would only be allowed to spend what the owners allow. If the owners are willing to keep investing, the accounts will show that. If they tell him to break even, we would not have signed who we did 2 seasons back. I know we all want a bogeyman to pin everything on to, but as usual, the situation is far more nuanced.
Equally, if the board have told him to break even and he hasn't and he's paying fees without telling them first, I suspect they'd probably fire him.

On your last point not only would they fire him, they would fire him long before the accounts come out showing it.

I do feel sorry for Hoos in a sense because the owners would likely listen to the DoF and Manager over whether it's worth gambling, not Hoos, what does he know on the footballing side? The only thing I'd imagine they'd ask Hoos is how much could we conceivably afford to gamble this season and still be able to comply with FFP long term if the promotion push fails.

If/when we do fail to comply with FFP how are you supposed to budget for a promotion push turning into a relegation fight and all you saleable assets you're relying on to cash in if the push fails being worthless across a 12 month period? It's the catastrophic failure of the footballing side that's going to lead to a FFP fine and for that les has to take some responsibility.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2023 17:14]
Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 17:13 - Apr 11 with 1800 viewsQPR_Jim

I've noticed similar on here, it's almost as if people have to prove they're angrier than everyone else and if someone is less angry then they're a happy clapper or something. It's partly attention seeking I guess but at times it's had the vibes that if you're not as angry as me you're not a real fan style BS.
Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 17:17 - Apr 11 with 1788 viewsjoe90

Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 15:56 - Apr 11 by BazzaInTheLoft

Financial Stability ✅
Big Player Sales ✅

The key part of your post is the 'speed' at which these 'successes' have been delivered. Consider the mitigating factors - FFP, the bloody three year financial cycle is a killer! It means that if a transfer/management appointment doesn't work out it hit's us extra hard between the eyes. There's always risk with transfers unfortunately. Training ground and player development all take time, but whilst we're working on this we still have to compete in the league!

Crazy thing is the last few seasons we've played the best and worst football in resent years. Utter madness.
Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 17:27 - Apr 11 with 1744 viewsPinnerPaul

Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 15:38 - Apr 11 by robith

B) for me!
Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 09:06 - Apr 12 with 1461 viewsgazza1

Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 16:31 - Apr 11 by Antti_Heinola

Great posts Robith. Not going atm for the same reason. Sat at the Brum game and it was just furious people and terrible football. I just can't deal with going to something that should be fun and experiencing a toxic atmosphere. What's the point? I don't blame people for being angry to be clear, but equally I just thought: why put myself through having to listen to it?

And to your other point, Wegerle's stairs has already posted on another thread words to the effect of 'Les goes, PE teachers go and we're on our way'. It's this sort of belief that a few firings and sackings will change everything that constantly gets clubs into messes imo. I think Les's direction of travel at the start was spot on, and for periods under Warbs it really felt like it was on track - young players spotted early and being brought through, good football, sales at the end of each season allowing us to invest more. But it all started to crumple 14 months ago. Does that mean everything Les did or tried was wrong? Of course not, but equally I think this season says that it's time for a fresh perspective.

Win, loose or draw I will be at the game if I am able......thats the difference between 'proper' supporters and fakes!!!!
Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 09:37 - Apr 12 with 1410 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 17:13 - Apr 11 by QPR_Jim

I've noticed similar on here, it's almost as if people have to prove they're angrier than everyone else and if someone is less angry then they're a happy clapper or something. It's partly attention seeking I guess but at times it's had the vibes that if you're not as angry as me you're not a real fan style BS.

I've found the opposite. It's actually the 'happy clappers' who are most keen to show how they're real fans and will still support the club when they're back playing on the local rec, etc. Anyone critical of the 'regime' over the last few years is a glory hunter (lol) or an arriviste, gatecrashing those many years of Premier League glory we've enjoyed. They're also the ones who conscientiously downvote any negative comments on here.
Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 09:44 - Apr 12 with 1406 viewsEsox_Lucius

Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 17:13 - Apr 11 by QPR_Jim

Santadog once said to me that you should start from a baseline of most QPR fans are cünts and then allow yourself to be pleasantly surprised when they aren't. He wasn't far wrong.

The grass is always greener.

Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 09:51 - Apr 12 with 1379 viewsrobith

Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 16:31 - Apr 11 by Antti_Heinola

Well this was it Antti - there was no argument to be had. The team is bad, playing bad, the club feels like it's unravelling. Nothing to say back to them. I go to football to cheer on my team and have some pints with the boys, don't need that spiritually in my life, so I left.

Hilariously my friend stayed and argued his point of "always support the team" and someone called a steward on him, lol
Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 09:58 - Apr 12 with 1363 viewshubble

Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 09:44 - Apr 12 by Esox_Lucius

Santadog once said to me that you should start from a baseline of most QPR fans are cünts and then allow yourself to be pleasantly surprised when they aren't. He wasn't far wrong.

Wow.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 11:37 - Apr 12 with 1245 viewsderbyhoop

Given the level of vitriol I'm not surprised Les wasn't putting in an appearance.
I'm not convinced his role is well understood.
Our financial situation has been awful since we blew our chances in the PL.
Scouting had produced next to nothing in the years from 2003-2014
Youth set up hadn't produced many Championship level players
Facilities were disjointed

Until we decided to blow the EZE money on Austin/Johansson, the finances had improved
The scouting found us Eze, Chair, Willock, Field, Paal & Armstrong
The youth teams are better today than they have been for many years. Despite losing 13 prospects to other clubs for minimal reward.
We're months away from having a modern, integrated training facility.

It's not all bad. However any assessment is almost totally focused on first team performance. Which has been shite since October.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 12:08 - Apr 12 with 1189 viewsdmm

Where was Les Ferdinand at half time for the 30th anniversary? on 09:44 - Apr 12 by Esox_Lucius

Where did the likes of Santadog go and why did he disappear?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024