Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Energy prices 18:13 - Aug 18 with 8607 viewsTreforys_Jack

Just a had a lovely email from British Gas offering me an exclusive electricity fixed rate. There are 4 adults in the house with 1 working from home, they are offering me a rate based on last year's usage of £3300, that's just for electricity. I know this has been building for some time, but does anyone have any explanation why we are paying so much for energy whilst the rest of Europe appear to have minimal increases. Is it brexit or fat cats really taking us to the cleaners and blaming covid, Ukraine and brexit. Also I saw Truss saying profit is not a dirty word, but surely this is a disgrace.
Energy prices on 12:31 - Aug 19 with 1518 viewsswan65split

Energy prices on 12:26 - Aug 19 by Luther27

I’m with Octopus who pride themselves in telling me that 100% of my electricity is supplied from renewables.
I must have missed the massive increase in wind and solar costs.

They also stated we don't have the reliance on Russian gas as EU does.

Just ripping us one as usual
Energy prices on 13:40 - Aug 19 with 1486 viewsTreforys_Jack

Energy prices on 07:53 - Aug 19 by raynor94

Yes, I've had one for a few years and find them great, they really do help you budget, as you can actually see what each appliance costs you

Cheers thats basically exactly what I wanted to know.
Energy prices on 19:34 - Aug 19 with 1416 viewsLuther27

Energy prices on 12:31 - Aug 19 by swan65split

They also stated we don't have the reliance on Russian gas as EU does.

Just ripping us one as usual

Update from Greg at Octopus Energy as to why renewable electricity is so expensive.

Why is renewable electricity more expensive?
The UK has a single wholesale price for electricity – whether renewable or not. Indeed, renewable electricity costs more because we need to pay for certificates on top of the wholesale price. This is bonkers and we have frequently called for reform. This may happen but not in time for this year.

We really are having the piss taken out of us.
Energy prices on 20:10 - Aug 19 with 1399 viewsswan65split

Energy prices on 19:34 - Aug 19 by Luther27

Update from Greg at Octopus Energy as to why renewable electricity is so expensive.

The UK has a single wholesale price for electricity – whether renewable or not. Indeed, renewable electricity costs more because we need to pay for certificates on top of the wholesale price. This is bonkers and we have frequently called for reform. This may happen but not in time for this year.

Deffo.
Energy prices on 00:46 - Aug 20 with 1366 viewsTreforys_Jack

Energy prices on 19:34 - Aug 19 by Luther27

So it would seem. Think there will be a lot of civil unrest shortly.
Energy prices on 09:35 - Aug 20 with 1337 viewsswan65split

Energy prices on 00:46 - Aug 20 by Treforys_Jack

So it would seem. Think there will be a lot of civil unrest shortly.

I am amazed there hasn't been some sort of display from the public already, 40 year sago I am sure it would have been different.
Energy prices on 10:33 - Aug 20 with 1316 viewsLuther27

Energy prices on 09:35 - Aug 20 by swan65split

I am amazed there hasn't been some sort of display from the public already, 40 year sago I am sure it would have been different.

I agree. Unfortunately the energy market in the UK is not fit for purpose. It’s now a cartel with the public held hostage.
Energy prices on 11:15 - Aug 20 with 1300 viewsKilkennyjack

Energy prices on 10:33 - Aug 20 by Luther27

I agree. Unfortunately the energy market in the UK is not fit for purpose. It’s now a cartel with the public held hostage.

Yes but its the direct result of deliberate Tory policy.

Its the same water, gas, leccy through same pipes as before.
Its just a paper shuffling exercise.

The huge downside though is that monies that should have been invested in the infrastucture for the future has - instead - been paid to shareholders as dividends.
Taking money out for greed.
No thought for tomorrow.

Labour should renationalise the lot.

Beware of the Risen People

Login to get fewer ads

Energy prices on 12:04 - Aug 20 with 1286 viewskrunchykarrot

Energy prices on 21:22 - Aug 18 by builthjack

Switch everything off that you don't need on.. Simple but effective.
You will save 30%.
So if your bill is going to be £3600, you will save yourself a grand.
Switch lights off, chargers, turn your printer off if not using, don't leave the telly on if you are not watching it. Use a battery radio rather than listen to the radio on the telly. Etc etc.

There are some savings to be made but 30% is amazing well done. Switching a LED light off will save negligible money its only a couple of quid for a year if left on for 8hrs a day. Chargers will switch of after say a phone is full but will keep checking (vampire power about μ £75 a year per house) using a minute amount, if there is nothing connected no cost. Printer can cost up to £10 per year depending on LED etc or model.

The big savings are some obvious things like, showers. If you have a Combi Boiler get yourself a thermo mixing valve instead of a 7-10kw shower. Not only will it pay for itself performance will improve. There are some grants for insulation about at the moment so check if you have enough in attic, not just sitting in the rafters but across them as well, this will save you bigtime on the gas/electric heating bill.

Hope this helps somebody.
Energy prices on 13:56 - Aug 20 with 1249 viewsLuther27

Energy prices on 11:15 - Aug 20 by Kilkennyjack

The huge downside though is that monies that should have been invested in the infrastucture for the future has - instead - been paid to shareholders as dividends.
No thought for tomorrow.

Can’t argue with that. They should never ever have been privatised. Chances to renationalise were missed during Covid with regards to the trains and energy suppliers collapsing.

With Govt ownership we were spun the tale that private ownership would create greater competition resulting in higher quality service and cheaper prices. What an absolute lie and a joke that’s turned out to be.
Energy prices on 21:53 - Aug 20 with 1209 viewsJack123

Energy prices on 13:56 - Aug 20 by Luther27

Can’t argue with that. They should never ever have been privatised. Chances to renationalise were missed during Covid with regards to the trains and energy suppliers collapsing.

With Govt ownership we were spun the tale that private ownership would create greater competition resulting in higher quality service and cheaper prices. What an absolute lie and a joke that’s turned out to be.

I am on a token meter, I would say at the moment , it feels like a 30% increase on a weekly/monthly basis just wondering the ones who pay monthly feel the same? Most probably putting in about 90-100 quid a month.. I have read some crazy stuff on Facebook of their supplier asking for x3 that. Direct Debit

libera nos a malo

Energy prices on 22:29 - Aug 20 with 1197 viewsraynor94

Energy prices on 21:53 - Aug 20 by Jack123

I am on a token meter, I would say at the moment , it feels like a 30% increase on a weekly/monthly basis just wondering the ones who pay monthly feel the same? Most probably putting in about 90-100 quid a month.. I have read some crazy stuff on Facebook of their supplier asking for x3 that. Direct Debit

At the end of the day you only pay for what you use, some of these figures being bandied about are unbelievable.

How on earth can you be using in excess of £ 200 during this summer period

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Energy prices on 23:01 - Aug 20 with 1184 viewsmajorraglan

Energy prices on 11:15 - Aug 20 by Kilkennyjack

No thought for tomorrow.

At least with the gas and electricity you have a limited choice of supplier, in terms of water there is no choice and it all, it’s a terrible state of affairs.

I think it’s gone to far to renationalised and it would cost far too much, one way to address the issue is to apply really stringent key performance indicators to their performance targets and if they fail to achieve them they get fined. If they lie about their performance as 1 water company did gine then and send the directors to jail. They won’t mess about then.
Energy prices on 23:06 - Aug 20 with 1175 viewsLuther27

Energy prices on 23:01 - Aug 20 by majorraglan

At least with the gas and electricity you have a limited choice of supplier, in terms of water there is no choice and it all, it’s a terrible state of affairs.

I think it’s gone to far to renationalised and it would cost far too much, one way to address the issue is to apply really stringent key performance indicators to their performance targets and if they fail to achieve them they get fined. If they lie about their performance as 1 water company did gine then and send the directors to jail. They won’t mess about then.

There is no choice between energy suppliers. Try and find a better deal on any of their sites and the answer is the same…..stay with the provider you are with. The market has failed us.
Energy prices on 23:09 - Aug 20 with 1170 viewsraynor94

Energy prices on 23:01 - Aug 20 by majorraglan

No complaints with water, £20 a month with a water meter

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Energy prices on 23:17 - Aug 20 with 1167 viewsJack123

Energy prices on 22:29 - Aug 20 by raynor94

At the end of the day you only pay for what you use, some of these figures being bandied about are unbelievable.

I think at the moment, it's just over 100 a month for electric only, but I have read posts on facebook people complaining about their providers asking for nearly 400 a month? I am not sure, if gas is included in that.

libera nos a malo

Energy prices on 01:01 - Aug 21 with 1154 viewsswan65split

Payments are calculated for use throughout the year,
Energy prices on 06:57 - Aug 21 with 1144 viewsCountyJim

You don't though these companies have hiked the standing charges you can do all you can saving but they have shafted us
Energy prices on 12:25 - Aug 22 with 1065 viewsGwyn737

The CEO of Octopus has pointed out that if the price of beer had risen at the same rate as energy we’d be now be paying £25 a pint!
Energy prices on 13:52 - Aug 22 with 1030 viewsKilkennyjack

Beware of the Risen People

Energy prices on 14:19 - Aug 22 with 1023 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Energy prices on 13:52 - Aug 22 by Kilkennyjack

Not sure what sewage has to do with the global energy crisis.
Not another off topic post surely.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Energy prices on 14:21 - Aug 22 with 1019 viewsonehunglow

Energy prices on 06:57 - Aug 21 by CountyJim

You don't though these companies have hiked the standing charges you can do all you can saving but they have shafted us

So take a deal without SCs

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Energy prices on 14:21 - Aug 22 with 1020 viewsTreforys_Jack

Energy prices on 13:52 - Aug 22 by Kilkennyjack

Energy prices on 14:30 - Aug 22 with 1019 viewsonehunglow

Truss hasnt caused the explosion of prices.#
Vlad has yet he seems to be getting away with it.

Nice work .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Energy prices on 18:18 - Aug 24 with 937 viewskrunchykarrot

Energy prices on 14:30 - Aug 22 by onehunglow

Truss hasnt caused the explosion of prices.#
Vlad has yet he seems to be getting away with it.

Nice work .

Pointless explaining OHL, watch how many Euro countries start putting pressure on Ukraine to accept some derisory terms to make peace. If people want to point fingers then any government will do over the last 40yrs as our energy and water policies are a joke. We have been so busy with the Green agenda that there will be people i know on O.A.pension only who have ordered in coal.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024