Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Energy prices 18:13 - Aug 18 with 8611 viewsTreforys_Jack

Just a had a lovely email from British Gas offering me an exclusive electricity fixed rate. There are 4 adults in the house with 1 working from home, they are offering me a rate based on last year's usage of £3300, that's just for electricity. I know this has been building for some time, but does anyone have any explanation why we are paying so much for energy whilst the rest of Europe appear to have minimal increases. Is it brexit or fat cats really taking us to the cleaners and blaming covid, Ukraine and brexit. Also I saw Truss saying profit is not a dirty word, but surely this is a disgrace.
Energy prices on 11:34 - Aug 26 with 998 viewsmagicdaps10

Energy prices on 09:31 - Aug 26 by Scotia

Supply and demand. Everyone else is now all trying to buy gas that doesn't come from Russia.

As much as I want to see the back of him, Putin has got us by the balls.

What are the other countries paying?

What's the average monthly household price in France, Germany and Holland for example?

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Energy prices on 11:37 - Aug 26 with 983 viewsJack123

Energy prices on 10:59 - Aug 26 by raynor94

They are average usage figures, I certainly won't be getting anywhere near those figures.

But there are only 2 of us

I have recalculated the figure now, just took a look at the meter, and based on last weeks usage it will be about 60 quid a week, before all this energy increase started it was a 20 quid payment per week.

libera nos a malo

Energy prices on 11:40 - Aug 26 with 978 viewsScotia

Energy prices on 11:34 - Aug 26 by magicdaps10

What are the other countries paying?

What's the average monthly household price in France, Germany and Holland for example?

A lot less than us in most cases. France basically has nationalised energy firms, other European countries have more support in place.

Liz Truss is going to do something apparently.
Energy prices on 11:46 - Aug 26 with 969 viewsLuther27

Energy prices on 11:30 - Aug 26 by raynor94

A lot of people aren't going to be switching on their heating in the day, and I'll be one of them.

Need to be a lot more careful this winter

I genuinely wonder if thousands of customers won’t or can’t pay what will happen? Would energy companies be allowed to cut off the power of OAP or households with children?
Hopefully the strike by barristers will continue as well!
Energy prices on 12:00 - Aug 26 with 959 viewsBoundy

Energy prices on 11:46 - Aug 26 by Luther27

I genuinely wonder if thousands of customers won’t or can’t pay what will happen? Would energy companies be allowed to cut off the power of OAP or households with children?

maybe the likes of Thunberg has the answer , she's wise and clever enough to manipulate the worlds governments to aim for net zero emissions. Whilst ignoring the fact that China for example plans to add a total 8.63 gigawatts (GW) of new coal power plants in the first quarter of 2022 alone, already 46.55% the capacity approved throughout 2021. Keep recycling and freezing , you know it makes sense

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Energy prices on 12:04 - Aug 26 with 956 viewsraynor94

Energy prices on 11:46 - Aug 26 by Luther27

They won't have to cut people off, they will just install pre payment meters, and leave up to the occupier

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Energy prices on 12:06 - Aug 26 with 953 viewsLuther27

Energy prices on 12:04 - Aug 26 by raynor94

They won't have to cut people off, they will just install pre payment meters, and leave up to the occupier

Could you not allow access? I suspect the more it costs the energy companies to enforce the quicker this crisis will come to a head.
Energy prices on 12:12 - Aug 26 with 948 viewsJohnw102

Even not using your gas?electricity there is still the daily fixed price that we have to pay, during the summer my daily charges far out weigh the usage. Could the Government not consider cutting VAT?

Never knew getting old would happen so quick!

Login to get fewer ads

Energy prices on 12:24 - Aug 26 with 924 viewsLuther27

Energy prices on 12:12 - Aug 26 by Johnw102

Even not using your gas?electricity there is still the daily fixed price that we have to pay, during the summer my daily charges far out weigh the usage. Could the Government not consider cutting VAT?

My standing charges were circa £250. It would be a start….along with the taxes on electric. I’m not happy paying so much in tax to Octopus for 100% renewable power. And I’m not buying the crooked reasons why they are so high.
Energy prices on 12:28 - Aug 26 with 920 viewstheloneranger

Energy prices on 12:06 - Aug 26 by Luther27

Could you not allow access? I suspect the more it costs the energy companies to enforce the quicker this crisis will come to a head.

You can legally deny them access, but then they will obtain a warrant for entry.

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Energy prices on 12:31 - Aug 26 with 915 viewsonehunglow

Energy prices on 12:12 - Aug 26 by Johnw102

In that case choose a deal with no standing charge.You will pay more for the intitial units but if you don't use,you don't pay.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Energy prices on 12:50 - Aug 26 with 905 viewsraynor94

Energy prices on 12:06 - Aug 26 by Luther27

Well, sadly if you don't put anything in the meter you don't get any energy, no need for access

Energy prices on 12:55 - Aug 26 with 899 viewsBoundy

My electric is on a prepay meter but there's a limit to how much you can load onto its, so you can't top up at the lower rate to beat the next new price cap

Energy prices on 13:34 - Aug 26 with 873 viewsKilkennyjack

This is something the Tories can do, but they will choose not to help working people.
Never ever vote Tory.

Beware of the Risen People

Energy prices on 13:40 - Aug 26 with 872 viewsmajorraglan

Energy prices on 10:29 - Aug 26 by Kilkennyjack

Be careful OHL …. See what Martin Money Saver is saying ….

There’s no doubt a fair bit of this is attributable to the situation in the Ukraine, but there is no doubt there is some pretty huge profiteering going on making things worse. The government are paying some pretty serious bucks to PR advisors and they’ll do anything they can to spin the narrative in the government's favour, they’ve also got the DM, Express, Times, Sun and Telegraph to help.

The government have to do something, if they don’t we’ll have major unrest and huge numbers of businesses are going to close. If the businesses shut down, then we’re looking

Energy security policy has been disjointed for a long time. The government allowed the 1 major gas storage site we had to close 5 years ago, now they’re in negotiation with Centrica to reopen it!!!

People are banging on about renewables, we have to ensure there’s a sensible balance between affordability and energy supply, but given the lead in time for nuclear power, building power stations etc renewables are a fairly quick way of increasing generating capacity. We need a varied an£ balanced supply chain.

Putin has some serious leverage of Europe which he’s seeking to exploit in us efforts to subjugate Ukraine, if Europe can get through the winter and diversify its energy supplies then next year could be a different prospect. The current regime in Russia has shown its self to be an unreliable partner an£ they should be shunned going forward.
Energy prices on 13:58 - Aug 26 with 856 viewsraynor94

Energy prices on 13:34 - Aug 26 by Kilkennyjack

This is something the Tories can do, but they will choose not to help working people.
Never ever vote Tory.

What has Drakeford said about it?

Energy prices on 14:18 - Aug 26 with 846 viewsBoundy

Energy prices on 13:58 - Aug 26 by raynor94

Not a lot, he's still busy buying Farms at over inflated prices and wasting more money devising new ways of keeping us poor , how much did that feasibility study on the M4 cost us ?

Energy prices on 14:21 - Aug 26 with 844 viewsBoundy

Energy prices on 13:58 - Aug 26 by raynor94

Duplicate post
[Post edited 26 Aug 2022 14:21]

Energy prices on 14:26 - Aug 26 with 839 viewsmajorraglan

Energy prices on 11:05 - Aug 26 by Boundy

No government worth its name can honestly believe that UK society can and will carry this financial burden without civil unrest occurring ,so they mauds have discussed this but no one from the Government was available today to comment on the new price cap , no one , we have PM swanning around the world either on holiday or making self promotion videos in Ukraine , the 2 x PM candidates are so self absorbed in their own futures that they believe that's all the rest of us are thinking about. I was going to retire next year but that looks like that's now on hold , not just for my financial security but to try and help out my family who I know will struggle just to survive .I pity those who I know who are are about to experience the biggest shocks of their lives .

To be honest I don’t know if the Government actually have a plan at the moment, they are so engrossed with their own issues and I suspect out of touch with life for the average person ( reality) they may not know what’s going on. Listening to Martin Lewis earlier and it appears he was approached fr his observations before the last price increases and it seems they incorporated some of his feedback in to policy - this time nothing!

I retired last year. Wifey still works, so after finishing I took a part time job ( no responsibilities etc) to be able to help the kids out and top up the pension - good job too the way things have gone. Its a frightening thought that the average salary across the UK for all workers is £31k, the median salary (ONS preferred indicator) for all workers s £25k. It’s frightening that the electric and gas bill is likely to be over 10% of an employees gross pay. Strip out water, and council tax of around £2k and we’re looking at £5.5k - minimum of 20% of a gross median wage on 3 essential bills. Factor in insurances, phone bills, cars, food and there ain’t much left!
Energy prices on 14:28 - Aug 26 with 839 viewsGwyn737

Energy prices on 08:56 - Aug 26 by majorraglan

Come January we could be talking about about £5k on energy alone. The government will provide some help to house holders, but businesses are more exposed and if lots of small businesses start to go to the wall then we’ll be truly in the mire. Schools, care homes the NHS are all going to see massive proportions of their budgets being used to pay the heating bills.

A lot of people are going to struggle while gas traders make huge profits.
[Post edited 26 Aug 2022 8:57]

Lots of stories doing the rounds about schools only opening for three days a week.

This is NOT true and NOT going to happen.

It’s a straw man invented by the right wing press to deflect from the real issue.
Energy prices on 14:33 - Aug 26 with 826 viewsBoundy

Energy prices on 14:28 - Aug 26 by Gwyn737

Lots of stories doing the rounds about schools only opening for three days a week.

This is NOT true and NOT going to happen.

It’s a straw man invented by the right wing press to deflect from the real issue.

But it has been discussed

https://www.heart.co.uk/news/schools-three-day-week-energy-bills/

Energy prices on 14:39 - Aug 26 with 821 viewsJack123

Energy prices on 12:55 - Aug 26 by Boundy

My electric is on a prepay meter but there's a limit to how much you can load onto its, so you can't top up at the lower rate to beat the next new price cap

Not a bad shout that, I think Martin Lewis advised the same before the first price hike, didn't realise till googling it, with my provider it's £99 max at a time on the key, and the electric and gas meters hold a max of £250 credit, which looking at the increases in October will be a saving of £200 on the electric, and £250 on the gas.

libera nos a malo

Energy prices on 14:52 - Aug 26 with 809 viewsGwyn737

Energy prices on 14:33 - Aug 26 by Boundy

But it has been discussed

https://www.heart.co.uk/news/schools-three-day-week-energy-bills/

Lots of quotes doing the rounds of “I’ve heard of…” or “schools are considering….”.

Nothing concrete and you’ll generally find that those quotes are followed by “….but my school(s) won’t be”. It’s rent a gob.

In any case, unless you’re an academy you must be open 190 days a year.

There may well be closures for industrial action in the autumn but not for cost savings.
Energy prices on 13:25 - Aug 28 with 705 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Energy prices on 20:53 - Aug 18 by Dr_Winston

Truth is energy prices across Europe are all high. The UK is exposed as it has more homes heated by gas and more electricity generated by gas than a lot of other countries. Other countries are increasing at a slower rate because our prices were lower to begin with.

Unfortunately the idiotic moves across the board to shy away from Nuclear Power, by some distance the most reliable and independent energy generation process has left an entire continent at the whims of Russia. Even the UK, a country which only imported a small amount of gas from there is f*cked because wholesale prices are now rising across the board.

If nothing else comes out of this situation I hope that it's a realisation at the highest levels that until Fusion is cracked then Fission is the way to go. Build more nuclear power stations. Small ones. Big ones. All over the place. End the dependence upon imported fossil fuel.

Those whims of Russia - it appears Zelensky wanted to negotiate a settlement. Boris , who declared himself on gardening leave gets a message from Washington to force Zelensky into fighting on and sprung into action to enforce the message. So more deaths and higher energy prices is what the glorious leader has achieved. Deaths in Ukraine and people freezing to death at home.

Whoever supports this diabolical government and its protection of US arms trade with Ukraine will be cutting their own throat - just to avoid the communist Labour Party (which doesn’t of course exist). It’s only the Daily Mail that keeps pushing that horse poop

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Energy prices on 13:52 - Aug 28 with 691 viewsraynor94

Energy prices on 13:25 - Aug 28 by Brynmill_Jack

Those whims of Russia - it appears Zelensky wanted to negotiate a settlement. Boris , who declared himself on gardening leave gets a message from Washington to force Zelensky into fighting on and sprung into action to enforce the message. So more deaths and higher energy prices is what the glorious leader has achieved. Deaths in Ukraine and people freezing to death at home.

Whoever supports this diabolical government and its protection of US arms trade with Ukraine will be cutting their own throat - just to avoid the communist Labour Party (which doesn’t of course exist). It’s only the Daily Mail that keeps pushing that horse poop

And if Russia had never invaded Ukraine in the first place?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024