Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
some belated thoughts 10:53 - Mar 1 with 2861 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

Was too tired and fed up last night.

Ribble has already said in pretty unambiguous terms what he thought of it all, and in many respects it is difficult to disagree with him. That was nowhere near what was needed in our biggest game of the season to date.

The pity of it all was that up to the brink of half time I thought we were edging it. Admittedly, we'd been pretty ineffectual, but at least we were getting in their box and trying to force the pace. They had done neither.

The opening goal was the kind of low farce that tends to happen to struggling clubs, with us missing three chances to clear the ball before a scuff across goal suddenly turns into a dangerous ball. I think the stuffing was knocked out of us there and then, because the second half was absolutely abject. Why we only discover some fluency and urgency after going 3-0 down is beyond me.

Both goals were poor, the last one especially so as it exposed our lack of nous, judgement and basic athleticism. Whoever is coaching the players at the moment needs to take a long look at that goal and ask themselves why, after working with the players all week, we give something away so cheaply.

Man of the Match is difficult. I don't really blame Lewis for any of the goals, although he got under the second one and was very slow getting off the deck for the first. But it was hardly his fault. Aldred looked pretty decent for an hour, but I thought he tired towards the end. For me the best player once again was O'Hara, who is a better player on one leg than the others are on two.

I don't think anyone can disagree that the game is now well and truly up for this season. We've still got some very average sides to play at BR, but we are struggling to beat even them and won't win nearly enough to get anywhere near safety.

It's clear that root and branch review/reform is needed at the club ; of personnel, playing philosophy,tactics, recruitment and remuneration. It also looks pretty clear that the chairman and manager are incapable of delivering it. It's hard to see where we go from here, but the first thing that would be help would be for both Oyston and Clark to acknowledge that they need help, and they need to do things differently.
[Post edited 1 Mar 2015 11:13]

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

some belated thoughts on 12:37 - Mar 1 with 2802 viewschesterbfc

Wouldn't it be nice for Clarke and K Oyston to belated tell the faithful their plans for stabilising, and then helping the Club to rise again from the abject position it finds itself.
What,s the chances??? About the same as me going to see the new training facilities, NONE

some belated thoughts on 14:34 - Mar 1 with 2753 viewsOdinsRaven

Robbie is that really you posting as BRR2 on the other avfft??

some belated thoughts on 14:56 - Mar 1 with 2736 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

It is Odin, yes.

some belated thoughts on 14:57 - Mar 1 with 2734 views20togo

I do think Aldred looks a prospect. From what I've heard from Accy they think he's more than capable of stepping up a division, First half he was excellent yesterday.

First half yesterday was pretty much a non event. It deserved to be 0-0 at half time because what we were watching was garbage from both teams. As the o/p says we had enough opportunities to prevent that first goal. Players in acres of space just outside our box should not be allowed to happen. And having seen it again, I think Lewis could have done better all round.

Second half - well I'd really like to see the 'penalty' incident again. For me the keeper never got near the ball, but did McMahon deliberately go down. What frustrated me though was that neither the ref nor the lino looked totally sure either way. It seemed to take an age for them to decide.

MOTM - Aldred or O'Dea.

And a special mention for McMahon - that first half he put a tackle in as clean as a whistle and came away with the ball. I had to ask to make certain it was him.

some belated thoughts on 15:03 - Mar 1 with 2725 viewsjanegallagher

McMahon looked like he got a nudge but went down far too theatrically

We’ve got Simon Sadler

some belated thoughts on 15:09 - Mar 1 with 2716 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

I had a pretty good view and I thought he dived.

some belated thoughts on 15:52 - Mar 1 with 2690 viewsOsbourne

The McMahon incident (Yellow Card) occurred in the 50th minute.

The score was 0-1.

It could of been given.

The big miss by Pool was also at 0-1 when any number of Pool players had the chance to deposit the ball into the Wigan "onion bag." They didn't.

At 1-1 Pool could of got a result.

It didn't happen.

8/12 wins now needed. It is a very tall ask. But not impossible.

6 points v Birmingham and Sheffield Wednesday are now vital.

Peter Clarke if he is fit? needs to start. He is a leader.

some belated thoughts on 16:13 - Mar 1 with 2674 viewslemongreentea

The afternoon started to go downhill for me when I heard the team selection included a five man back line. Why not try an attacking set up. Wigan were there for the taking. As each match has passed the chance of escaping the drop has become ever more remote so pool should have set up to give it a go from the off. Try and out score the opposition as not concedeing has clearly not worked.

some belated thoughts on 16:35 - Mar 1 with 2657 viewsseasider13

I wonder if we will ever know the truth with regards to the Cubero situation, bruised knee my aristotle.

No man is rich enough to buy back his past.

some belated thoughts on 16:41 - Mar 1 with 2650 viewsseasider13

P.S. Probably a good idea not doing a review of the match whilst you are tired robbie, struggling to find any positives at the moment, i feel like a teenager who has just been dumped by his first true love.

No man is rich enough to buy back his past.

some belated thoughts on 16:44 - Mar 1 with 2647 viewsOsbourne

lemongreentea,

Pool as always (bar forest) sat too deep as a unit.

However, I would of said that the formation played yesterday (Wigan) was a standard 4-4-2

Lewis
McMahon - Hall - Aldred - O'Dea
Cameron - O'Hara - Perkins - Ferguson
Madine - Telford

Because of Dunne's suspension, O'Dea who has been playing left side central defence, yesterday was playing left back.

Your right, lemongreentea, Pool as a unit sat too deep. But the formation was a standard 4-4-2, not a 5-3-2.

How did other AVFTT spectators at Bloomfield Road yesterday see it? Osbourne certainly has his critics on AVFTT and could be wrong. Osbourne gives a subjective opinion. It's how Osbourne see's it subjectively, not necessarily, objectively!

some belated thoughts on 17:10 - Mar 1 with 2626 viewsterminallytangerine

Another low point in a very low season.

You just hope that behind closed doors those who have the power to influence our future are taking a long hard look at our curent situation and planning for next year's campaign with some sort of long term vision: I remember feeling the same this time last season but having looked into the abyss we seemed to have rushed back to it at the earliest opportunity. Oh for vision, leadership and some sense that it is not only the supporters who care.

As for the game: as poor a first half as I've seen from both teams, a ludicrous goal just before half time, a policy of hump it forward and then hump it forward again when the ball inevitably comes back, a third goal which wouldn't have been out of place in a primary school kick-about and an overwhelming mixture of disappointment, inevitability and shame that my football club has come to this.

A quagmire of a pitch shows no respect for the supporters or players - or manager for that matter. The sooner this gruesome season lurches to its end the better.

Emotional rant over.

some belated thoughts on 17:58 - Mar 1 with 2596 viewsWizaard

There has always been that hope that we could put a little run together and at least give a semblance of staying up being an option.

Yesterday comprehensively put that to bed. Next season we will be in mid July with only Ferguson, Oliver, Aldred and Cameron, because they're the only ones already with a deal into next season.

What should have been a distinct advantage, namely our season in the sun, has been well and truly thrown away, with absolutely nothing to show for it.

Training ground development? Nothing
Ground improvements? Falling cladding now completely removed and exposed steelwork rusting.
Playing surface? Sprinklers fitted, but routinely mentioned as being atrocious on every match report and TV show.
Fanbase increased? Staying away in droves, even those who have paid for two year deals.
Fanbase united? Only in one regard. Hatred of the owners who retaliate by trying to sue long term fans for having an opinion on how the club is run.

Atmosphere in the ground? Completely devoid. Silence for much of the first half apart from the Wigan fans getting their 90 songs in 90 minutes in early.

All down to a series of monumental failures at the top to make any attempt to build on what was there. Instead we've seen a failure to invest in anything apart from non-football related ventures, apparently with the proviso that the money is there if needed If it hasn't been this season, just what constitutes a need?.

It's all there in the accounts. Mr Oyston says £48 million has been spent in four year on the squad. Sounds a lot, but for a Championship side, £12 million per annum is chicken feed compared to our rivals, and even then, that money has been badly spent, with money squandered on the likes of Miller and Chopra both approaching £10,000 a week, while our own young talents are offered less than the minimum wage as contracts.

I genuinely don't see any planning or logic to anything, while the current 'strategy' does nothing but lose value from the club on a daily basis, as fans stay away, merchandise sales plummet and interest in the town dies.

What an opportunity, what a waste. It's enough to make you weep.

Is there light at the end of the tunnel? In all honesty, no. I don't see it getting any better
[Post edited 1 Mar 2015 19:02]

some belated thoughts on 19:09 - Mar 1 with 2551 viewstimbertops

Top post Wiz. I rarely comment these days but that is exactly how it is. Stick it on t'other site too mate

Always look on the SEASIDE of life!

some belated thoughts on 20:29 - Mar 1 with 2515 viewsthe_stockport_one

agree with all of that Wizz

local businesses all struggling now on match days, yesterday was from all i spoke to, the worst for ages, takings down = loss of jobs = more problems for South Shore and beyond.

DEFEND THE STOCKPORT ONE

some belated thoughts on 08:20 - Mar 2 with 2416 viewsCurryman

Wiz, welcome to my world.

Love Blackpool, not the O's
Poll: Whi is responsiblke for our current mess?
Blog: Trust

some belated thoughts on 09:44 - Mar 2 with 2377 viewsHertsseasider

Very well put Wiz. Sad times

"Schools Out London"

some belated thoughts on 01:05 - Mar 4 with 2217 viewsOverWired

lemongreentea
The afternoon started to go downhill for me was when I got into my car and headed towards Bloomfield Road.
As usual I wasn't disappointed.

some belated thoughts on 15:07 - Mar 4 with 2174 viewsRusty2Stands

Best post I've seen for a while that Wiz, and obviously coming from the heart.
Get it over on the other board as it deserves a much bigger audience.
If you don't want to, can I have your permission to copy it and post it over there?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024