Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ale Faurlin 14:41 - Sep 15 with 7058 viewsbrewers_hoop

Is the decision to let him go looking dafter by the minute or have I got my rose-tinted specs on?

Ale Faurlin on 14:54 - Sep 15 with 3651 viewsNorthernr

Bit of both I think mate.

On the one hand, Luongo is our only central midfielder who can pass the ball, so he'd help with that.

On the other, his lack of physicality and speed got caught out last season in exactly the same way as we did the other night - twice v Fulham most notably.

We're missing Hill more IMO - as I wrote when he left, we don't have a centre back who can properly head the ball. Lo, we're suddenly conceding from corners all the time.

Ale Faurlin on 14:56 - Sep 15 with 3642 viewsStevenageRanger

From what I read , JFH offered him a contract but Ale wanted to know he would play each week. That couldnt be guaranteed so we parted ways.

Dont think it was our choice more Ale wanted to go. Then again its only what the club put out so who knows what really happened!

Ale Faurlin on 15:00 - Sep 15 with 3613 viewsaston_hoop

Only made one appearance this season for Getafe in a cup defeat (he should be used to the 1st round cup defeats by now anyway). Hold on for a few months and he might get bored not playing anyway.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Ale Faurlin on 15:01 - Sep 15 with 3607 viewsWatford_Ranger

Any two of Borysiuk/Luongo/Cousins should be decent together. I know it's fashionable to knock Henry but I really don't see what he can do that at least one of those three can't.

Borysiuk is meant to be the defensive one, Luongo can pass a ball and Cousins can run (apparently). There's also the option (hopefully not at home) to play all three and sacrifice one of our superb flying wingers.

Ale Faurlin on 15:14 - Sep 15 with 3557 viewsbrewers_hoop

Fair points, which is why I was in a quandary myself. Just think we're crying about for a bit of creativity - especially at home - but as others have said below, maybe we'll hit upon the righ combination using what we have at our disposal.

And agree re Hill - we need to start getting the basics right.

Ale Faurlin on 15:15 - Sep 15 with 3548 viewsdaveB

I'd have kept him but probably not fair to judge yet until we've seen the Polish fella get a go and I thought Luongo was excellent in the first few games.

Ale Faurlin on 15:24 - Sep 15 with 3528 viewsNW5Hoop

I love Hill like everyone, but let's be honest. He had so little pace that any ball over the top caught him out by the end. And he wasn't going to get any quicker.

Ale Faurlin on 15:25 - Sep 15 with 3518 viewsNorthernr

True. Point remains though, we still don't have a centre back that will stick his head on the ball.

Ale Faurlin on 15:31 - Sep 15 with 3496 viewsWatford_Ranger

I had Hall down as "that sort" of player with Caulker the budget, borderline alcoholic Rio Ferdinand type. I think Polter was a big miss defensively too.

Ale Faurlin on 15:34 - Sep 15 with 3482 viewsLblock

ODH is on record as bombing them out due to his "high intensity and pressing approach"
I kind of accepted that whilst being gutted the last bit of hooped heart being ripped out of the club

Then Henry got a new contract with statements "adds depth to the squad, won't play every week"

What's being served up makes both those statements laughable and totally unpalatable

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Ale Faurlin on 15:51 - Sep 15 with 3415 viewsRBlock

Didn't we buy Lynch for that hard b#stard, left footed, experienced CB role? He looked suited to it in his brief cameo v Watford in pre-season.

Ale Faurlin on 15:52 - Sep 15 with 3412 viewsAntti_Heinola

To be fair, if we'd got wingers in earlier, Cousins wouldn't have played on the wing and therefore would have played centrally. Luongo was sick. Borysuik has been injured. I very much doubt Henry is first choice, but until we have at least two fully fit and functioning CMs apart from him, he's going to play. I don't think there's been a game yet where I couldn't see the argument for him playing, and that comes from someone who never wanted us to sign him in the first place. But hopefully with Mass getting better and Borysuik getting fit, Henry will take his turn on the bench!

Let's not kid ourselves about Ale - I love him, but Newcastle would have mullered him on Tuesday. Same with Hill. I would've thought having Ned, Caulker and Hall at the back should be enough to be dominant in the air at the back. Apparently not. Lynch likely to play on Sat though as we only have one RB and Caulker is injured, so perhaps that may improve.

Bare bones.

Ale Faurlin on 15:54 - Sep 15 with 3407 viewsThe_Mole

Tuesday was another classic example of us as a team lacking identity and both Hill and Faurlin were two professionals who I would pay to watch every week.

Ale Faurlin on 15:56 - Sep 15 with 3403 viewsPinnerPaul

and he was part of the 5-1 defeat to the giants of European football that are Celtic recently.

Clive's point is a fair one though - we certainly missed Polter's defensive help at corners on Tuesday.

Ale Faurlin on 16:03 - Sep 15 with 3380 viewsWatford_Ranger

We got trounced plenty of times with at least one of them playing.

Ale Faurlin on 16:11 - Sep 15 with 3357 viewsBucksRanger

As an unused substitute, I'm not sure how Hill could have affected the result.

Ale Faurlin on 16:18 - Sep 15 with 3332 viewsvegasranger

Faurlin before all the injuries was a talented but limited player. Sadly all the injuries caught up with him and I think only Fulham in the Championship even had a look at him. I don't think Newcastle would have scored 6 with Clint Hill in the side, even at this very late stage in his career. I've mentioned this before but who is doing our scouting? It seems plodding compared to Brentford for example. What is our new ethos?

Ale Faurlin on 16:32 - Sep 15 with 3295 viewsPinnerPaul

Yes apologised for that on another thread - sure I saw him on the highlights, but obviously not!

Point is still sort of valid though - if he can't get in THAT Rangers side.................

Ale Faurlin on 16:53 - Sep 15 with 3241 viewsTHEBUSH

I saw some of that game and pretty sure it was
Ale who lost the ball in midfield that led to the other
teams goal, just saying like

Ale Faurlin on 17:00 - Sep 15 with 3226 viewsbosh67

I did shout out to JFH when 2-0 down against Preston.. what was it about Ale Faurlin linking up play that you didn't get? It was a bit unfair as JFH had offered him a contract. I think it was in the food and beverage department?

We miss him so much because he didn't need pace to link play up and we are sorely missing that this season. Luongo I just don't know if he is a similar player. Every player we have seems to be more suited to holding midfield, not too well as it turns out, rather than a playmaker.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Ale Faurlin on 17:16 - Sep 15 with 3190 viewsW13R

Exactly. He was our Pirlo, could pick a forward pass for fun.
One of the best midfielders we have had for many years, shame about the injuries as he could have gone onto better things.

Ale Faurlin on 17:29 - Sep 15 with 3163 viewsPunteR

I could be wrong but i'm sure both Faurlin and Hill were playing for us when we received a hidings before. It's also an absolute miracle they are both playing football at all still.
I think there is a touch of rose tinted specs on.
They've both gone now so its up to our new players and manager to get this team sorted.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Ale Faurlin on 17:56 - Sep 15 with 3108 viewsparker64

Faurlin was great at the club but with the best will in the world his time's gone. We could have kept another non-scoring midfielder but with dodgy knees which have obviously affected his running ability.

Ale Faurlin on 18:03 - Sep 15 with 3093 viewsBasingstokeR

What does ODH stand for?

Ale Faurlin on 18:52 - Sep 15 with 2999 viewsLadbrokeR

Pirlo are you sure ?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024