Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just back 23:00 - Mar 7 with 6758 viewsQPR_Nippon

I don't know how much Warnock's long ball team jibes stung Ollie, but the decision to start with Smith on the bench and go with a tidy, technical midfield three of Freeman, Luongo and Manning did smack of "How d'you like them apples, Neil?!"

Naturally we played with a markedly different style to Saturday, with changes to 5 of the front 6. Not sure how much of this was an attempt to match Barnsley, a very tidy, technical team themselves - whatever, but it did make for a very enjoyable, open and end-to-end game. Luke Freeman was outstanding in the first half and was at the heart of everything Rangers did well. He set up Sylla's smart back heeled finish (did he mean it?) to put us one up and put in another absolute peach of a cross that was met with a salmon like leap from Perch, who was very unlucky to hit the bar.

That said, Barnsley might also have counted themselves unfortunate to go in at half time a goal down. That they did was thanks to an astonishing, instinctive goal saving clearance from Jake Bidwell just before the break. I'm dying to see a replay of this because it had me rubbing my eyes in disbelief and on my feet applauding (I can't remember in which order). Chief owes him a big drink for that one after it was his rick that led to the opening.

Unfortunately there was no hero on hand to spare Grant Hall's blushes who mishit a clearance and sub Bradshaw was on hand to set up the obligatory nervy finish. A real shame as I thought Hall had been excellent up to that point. Thankfully by that stage we'd built enough of a cushion after a powerful run and superb cross by Wsolek which the Barnsley centre half could do nothing other than help goalwards under pressure from Sylla's well-timed run.

Overall, another far from perfect but very encouraging and pleasing performance against a decent side for this level. Darnell Furlong had possibly his best 30 minutes in a Rangers shirt after replacing Perch. Luongo seems to be getting back to his best after a difficult few months. Great to see Sylla get on the scoresheet again - we did miss Smith's aerial presence at times but it probably made us a bit more inventive in our approach, and the result was often very easy on the eye. I think it was ultimately Freeman though who was the difference between the two sides. Faded a bit second half perhaps but was always bright and positive, always looking to make things happen, has an excellent first touch, can pass, can take people on - looks a fantastic signing, especially considering what we paid for him.

The last thing that I left LR with tonight was a feeling that there is at last a genuine affinity between fans and players again. A squad of committed players with no little talent, maybe not quite good enough to challenge the upper reaches of this league just yet, but certainly good enough to be both competitive in this league and, perhaps this is the difference under Ollie, entertaining.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2017 6:46]

Just back on 16:01 - Mar 8 with 1598 viewsrobith

Some other random thoughts

Sylla and Yeni were bossing people around ordering the pressing. Yeni in particular when he was on the flank nearest me seems to now speak very good English was constantly chatting to players in attack telling players in possession where others were making runs near them.

Sylla has a real habit of getting goals doesn't he

Just back on 16:39 - Mar 8 with 1489 viewsbob566

getting compared to liam brady. now there's big boots to fill. He played for Juventus.

Just back on 17:04 - Mar 8 with 1416 viewsMedwayR

I think Yeni has always spoken good English, I think it was the video from the Christmas visit to a hospital or Jack Tizard school where Yeni was really involved and chatting to everyone, he seemed to have a great character and was really popular member of the squad, really encouraging to see from a player who's new to the team and also the country.

I like the fact we can play different ways, it's necessary if we're going to progress and the squad we now have means we probably only need another CB (assuming Caulker leaves) in the summer, that'll make a nice change. The team spirit looks good, the atmosphere has improved, everything is positive and encouraging for next season...I'm waiting for something drastic to go wrong

Poll: Who’s better?

Just back on 19:21 - Mar 8 with 1204 viewsDorse

Wait till you see next year's kit. Awful. Truly awful.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Just back on 20:00 - Mar 8 with 1146 viewsMedwayR

Is it a retro themed kit based on our glory days wearing Nike?

Poll: Who’s better?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024