Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Getting a Dog 10:04 - Jul 15 with 15185 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Ok, lads this is huge. Don't mess this up!

I've always wanted a dog. I mean really wanted a dog. Always had a dog as a kid. Either a Labrador Retriever or a Golden Retriever. But I could never have one as an adult. i just moved around too much. Wouldn't be fair.

But, with the last few years, and now the last few months, I've been working from home almost full-time. I've also finally got family living nearby to mind my dog if I do have to head away for work or holidays.

I'm single with no kids. I live in a small city but with plenty parks and fields nearby.
If not now, then I'd have to wonder when.

The question is - am I mad? What am I not considering?

Have any of you any advice, please?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Getting a Dog on 22:58 - Aug 26 with 2060 viewsMyke

Just get an out door dog if you have a garden big enough. Way less work. I firmly believe all dogs are outdoor dogs as long as they have been molly coddled when a pup. Have a King Charles since 6 weeks old. Lives outside. Tough as teak. Biblical rain here 2 nights ago didn't even bother going into his Kennel. Were away for three days. Big feed before we left, big feed when we got back, not a bother. Have an electric fence around the garden so he can't stray so no need for insurance. Has the best part of half an acre to himself so no need for exercise. Sitting out on sunny days reading a book with Max asleep on my lap was one of the more pleasurable moments of lockdown

Getting a Dog on 23:07 - Aug 26 with 2047 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Sounds great, Myke.

Stanley is an indoor dog, and I suspect always will be. Has spent a good part of his time so far asleep on my right foot.

Getting a Dog on 23:13 - Aug 26 with 2036 viewsMyke

Ah, didn't read all the posts so didn't realise you had' taken the plunge' since the beginning of the thread. Enjoy!

Getting a Dog on 23:25 - Aug 26 with 2019 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Thanks, Myke.

Getting a Dog on 23:36 - Aug 26 with 2006 viewskarl

Congratulations Brian, hope Stanley is a great part of things for you in the future.
Very pertinent as our son is great with animals and desperately wants a dog, neither me or the wife have had one in the family for various reasons but moving about was main one given by both sets of parents.
Anyhow, we're settled so no excuses there, I'm easily persuaded, she's not so keen but currently we're sitting with a cat and 3 hens (they weren't our choice and a long story). The cat is an absolute a4seh0le that steals any food it can get its mitts on while the hens have wrecked the garden and sh1t everywhere. Sick of eating 3 eggs a day as well as having to cart them out of the neighbours gardens too.
Tbh I can't see a dog being anymore aggro and this thread does suggest some return in the deal as well.
I've a friend/acquaintance who has Bedlington Terriers and breeds off them, the fact they don't shed their coat is appealing as well as their size.
Any guidance on this situation?
We don't really have access to much in the way of rescue centres and tbh we'd get help off the breeder as he's a great genuine fella so this would be a good access point if that makes sense?
Not sure where he is at with puppies atm but does that breed make sense? We would need to leave unsupervised for 2-3hr periods, got reasonable sized garden, garage, house space. Would prefer to kennel/yard when at work etc. Son is 10 and he's youngest in the house.
Other suggestions welcome but not keen on a big lump tbh, ones plenty in the house 😂

Getting a Dog on 11:17 - Aug 27 with 1935 viewsLblock

This..... I disagree with a million percent.

Keeping a dog outside in a run I can almost understand but only if working dogs etc; that aint part of the family for me.

The bit where my opinion wouldn't get through the filter here is where you say you were "way for three days. Big feed before we left, big feed when we got back, not a bother".... my personal feeling is that is barbaric and the Rolf Harris approach to dog ownership. Aside from the lack of companionship and interaction for the poor dog on a daily basis there's practical side of fresh water, clearing up their mess etc, etc.
I suppose you sat your dog down and explained to him "we'll be away for 72 hours but don't worry we'll be back and here's a calendar and a clock so you can be sure when we return"..... and the dog said... "no worries, just leave me the Netflix password and fill us up with five meals worth of kibble now... have a great time".

Each to their own but you're in a different galaxy to what I consider as the two way man & dog bond.

Bri - apologies for the above on this wonderfully positive thread but I felt compelled!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Getting a Dog on 11:23 - Aug 27 with 1932 viewsdistortR

Any dog you get will know it's plaice, that's for sure

Getting a Dog on 12:56 - Aug 27 with 1873 views2Thomas2Bowles

Agree

A dog is a social pack animal, absolutely barbaric to leave it for 3 days.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Getting a Dog on 16:15 - Aug 27 with 1860 viewsqprxtc

Getting a Dog on 16:25 - Aug 27 with 1852 viewsA40Bosh

+1

Cassie gets depressed if the 5 of us leave her at home for 1hr to do a Sainsburys shop!!!

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Getting a Dog on 16:26 - Aug 27 with 1842 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Cassie does the shopping online?

My dog can hardly turn on the laptop!

Getting a Dog on 16:30 - Aug 27 with 1832 viewscyprusmel

Be fair Brian, you've only just got your dog !

Getting a Dog on 16:32 - Aug 27 with 1823 viewsqprxtc

You’ve got a dog?

Getting a Dog on 12:55 - Aug 29 with 1731 viewsMickS

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53949310

Well worth a read. Top dog.

Edit: I think Forest have signed him.
[Post edited 29 Aug 2020 12:56]

Getting a Dog on 16:52 - Aug 29 with 1663 viewsBucksRanger

Surprised that the Special Boat Services were deployed in Afghanistan. Where did they keep their boats?

Getting a Dog on 22:20 - Aug 29 with 1605 viewsCiderwithRsie

I changed my mind about dog ownership after doing a bit of leafletting.

Posties will get this straight away: a lot of dogs react to anything coming though the letterbox like complete psychos. I can't believe they're like that with their families. IMO it's the result of being left alone during the day and it's seriously damaging to their mental health.

As a kid we always had dogs, the first was with my dad in the army and used to go with him everywhere, after that we had one who was with my mum - she being a trad 70s housewife - and me come to that before I went to school - in the daytime.

When I retire I'm getting one. But not until I can guarantee it won't be left alone.

Getting a Dog on 01:14 - Aug 30 with 1579 viewswombat

Dogs react like that even if somebody is at home all the time , the bark at noise mainly and sticking a letter through the letter box will set any dog off usually as they been asleep and you woken them up. As for the poster who thinks it’s ok leaving a dog alone for 3 days with a big feed at the start and a big feed at the end , I won’t say my views but honestly you shouldn’t own a dog owner even working dogs don’t get left That long . You can also cause massive stomach problems for the dog and probable behaviour issues with food guarding by starving it for 3 days . If you was a neighbour of mine I’d be calling the police to report The dog as a neglected .

Quick question what would have happened if you suddenly had a hot spell and the dog run out of water on day one ? Knocked the water bowl over ? What’s it going to do for the next 2 days for water let alone food

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Getting a Dog on 02:23 - Aug 30 with 1572 viewstimcocking

Bedlington Terrier a cracking little dog.

100% certain to improve your boy as a person.

Getting a Dog on 03:06 - Nov 29 with 1346 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Stanley is now six months old.
So, here's some free advice - don't leave six-inch chillies around the place if you have a dog.
14 Toilet trips and counting for the poor lad.

Bless him.

Getting a Dog on 09:21 - Nov 29 with 1247 viewsstowmarketrange

I was going to get a golden Labrador until I realised how many of their owners go blind.

Getting a Dog on 09:36 - Nov 29 with 1234 viewsozexile

I don't know why but I've just spent 5 mins laughing at that. Very good.

Getting a Dog on 16:58 - Dec 13 with 1048 viewskarl

Through circumstance we're going to get a New Zealand Huntaway in 8 weeks, born on Wednesday so waiting for her to be ready for settling in with us.
Everyone looking forward to its arrival and should be good for encouraging us all to be a bit more active.
Fit dogs with plenty stamina so will keep us on our toes, plenty open countryside and beaches for us so no problem finding somewhere to go.
Any tips welcome 👍

Getting a Dog on 17:12 - Dec 13 with 1009 viewsBoston

Feed it fish

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Getting a Dog on 17:13 - Dec 13 with 1004 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Tips?
Practice using the word "sorry".

"Sorry he's jumped up on you and ruined your clothes".
"Sorry he's licked your make-up off."
"Sorry he's crapped on your baby"
etc
etc
etc

Getting a Dog on 17:18 - Dec 13 with 984 viewskarl

Yes, the new living room carpet was an inspired decision...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024