Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Syd Barrett? 10:53 - Oct 26 with 2860 viewskropotkin41

Someone's just said to me that Syd Barrett was involved in this:
True or false?

Was Syd Barrett an R?

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Syd Barrett? on 11:21 - Oct 26 with 2796 viewsSonofNorfolt

It has got a touch of 'Arnold Layne' about it.

Syd Barrett? on 12:23 - Oct 26 with 2683 viewsDannyPaddox

I read somewhere Supporters Support Us is probably this psychedelic combo from the Acton/ Ealing area

One of them went on to produce Mike Oldfield's Tubular bells.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2020 12:25]

Syd Barrett? on 12:26 - Oct 26 with 2676 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Never heard that before, I don't think.

It's... ahm... of it's time, isn't it?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Syd Barrett? on 12:47 - Oct 26 with 2634 viewsR_from_afar

Syd was from Cambridge but studied in London so you never know. A web search revealed this, from an Amazon review. It sounds to me as if the clever use of stereo was what appealed to Syd. There is also a Pink Floyd connection via Alan Parsons (see below), who engineered some of their albums.

P. S. Lovell
5.0 out of 5 stars All killer, no filler!
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 5 June 2020
Classic after classic, including the seminal 'QPR the Greatest', and the song that had such an impact on Syd Barrett in 1967, 'Supporters support us'.

What made this concoction so popular at the time was a series of coincidences. The western world was now fully stereoed-up; Mark Lazarus hooked up with an immaculate engineer by the name of Alan Parsons (yes, that one with the project) and last, but not least, the 67 team bothered to write some really fine songs. This was a long way from the half-baked nonsense that had plagued Man Utd or Spurs.

The sound effects are as hackneyed as a 70s stereo demonstration record (that this album effectively replaced in most hi-fi stores at the time), yet the overall flow of the album still satisfies as it merges existential ballads (''Give em the ole one two'', ''Soccer Boppers'') with cynical rockers (''Queens Park Rangers') and arena-impressing freak outs ('''Oh oh oh oh what a luvly game").

https://www.amazon.co.uk/QPR-Greatest-Various-artists/dp/B001IK2HUM

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Syd Barrett? on 13:02 - Oct 26 with 2603 viewsNoDiddley

Purported to be a band called July.

Syd Barrett? on 14:03 - Oct 26 with 2493 viewsLythamR

Paul was on a proper wind up when he wrote that review :)

Syd Barrett? on 16:30 - Oct 26 with 2341 viewsNW5Hoop

Nothing to do with Syd. As others have noted, it's believed to be July. Certainly, the psychedelic heads I know all count it in the July discography.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024