Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who still uses the milkman. 19:27 - Nov 9 with 8672 viewsqpr_1968

very rarely see a milk float these days.
remember our order when we were kids.......
1 bottle of sterilised
2 cows milk.....still with the cream on the top, if the crows had'nt got to it first.
1 bottle of orange
in proper glass bottles.
wednesdays and saturdays.
the milk float came from the depot in goldhawk road, the co op.
used to have a saturday morning job with them back in 1974/75.

and the coalman.....who still uses the coalman.
used to have a coal shute in what we called the skullery come kitchen, and that was in the suttons off dalgarno gardens.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Who still uses the milkman. on 18:07 - Dec 7 with 1277 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

I worked for near on 20 years at Dairy Crest as Milk Supply Manager, left in 2016/17.
Milk and More was a cash rich, but declining part of the business before it was sold off to Muller.

I could go into lots of detail about the UK and global dairy business, and UK dairy farming but I don't want to bore everyone.

I will say that only Waitrose and M&S pay farmers the real value of their milk, plus those farmers have higher environmental and animal welfare standards.
Most farmers are paid milk prices based on global commodity markets, so very volatile.

Who still uses the milkman. on 18:19 - Dec 7 with 1245 viewshubble

Silver top mainly, gold top for a rare treat. We had an Express dairy milkman, the coal man used to deliver to those who wanted it - but like Ted, we relied on paraffin heaters, and of course, there was the rag and bone man, who in true Steptoe style, would appear on his horse and cart, calling out rag'n'bone, rag'n'bone.

And then there was the French onion man, who'd turn up once or twice a year on his bike, selling great big strings of onions.

I haven't seen a milkman in this neighbourhood for 30 years.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Who still uses the milkman. on 18:29 - Dec 7 with 1228 viewsHooping_Mad

Sue at Number 22 Linley lane is a big fan, play ya cards right and you might get some coco.

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Who still uses the milkman. on 18:49 - Dec 7 with 1172 viewsPindarus

I lived in Teddington as a boy and I am old enough to remember our milk being delivered by horse and cart. The milkman's name was not Ernie, but I do remember the horse getting up on the pavement to nibble the shoots of our lilac tree, to the consternation of passers by.

Who still uses the milkman. on 20:05 - Dec 7 with 1130 viewsCiderwithRsie

Have done for 30 odd years. It's a little old-fashion luxury.

OK it's a tad more expensive but its effing milk for God's sake, one of the cheapest foods known to man, you'd have to drink gallons of the stuff before you'd start to notice (in which case you'd probably be saving on other food)

The main thing is that I never run out of the stuff or have to think about it; wake up, go to the door, pick up the bottle, stick the kettle on, bob's your uncle.

Who still uses the milkman. on 21:03 - Dec 7 with 1085 viewsTonto

I think most of the residents of Craggy Island stopped after the bomb incident...

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Who still uses the milkman. on 22:09 - Dec 7 with 1025 viewsjohann28

Pleased to see them making a comeback. In the modern world, everything gets delivered, right? Gold top for me (because I was brought up proper), semi-skimmed for Mrs Johann, and some of that Oat stuff for vegan guests. Sorted.

Who still uses the milkman. on 12:28 - Dec 8 with 851 viewsbaz_qpr

We've signed up for one this year, they come once a week deliver the milk in what seems to be a diesel van at midnight on a Sunday. The problem we have is our neighbourhood foxes are a bit sharp not only have they worked out how to open the organic waste bin when it gets left out (council collects at 6 am) scattering it all over the road they try and nick the eggs and have on a couple of occasions smashed the milk bottles from the rack. Its sort of becoming a pain

Who still uses the milkman. on 12:49 - Dec 8 with 846 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Given your avatar, have you thought of giving them a frying pan, a kettle, some loose leaf, and a few rashers, to see if they can knock you up a cuppa and some bacon and eggs for breakfast?

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Who still uses the milkman. on 14:16 - Dec 8 with 811 views1MoreBrightonR

Being the aforementioned hipsters, we use a local one. I know there are a couple big companies that do it now, but our way has one based out of somewhere in the East London/Essex border i think. They are very good, and have a nice range of pretty good quality stuff beyond the standard milk. Sadly no electric milk floats crawling around these days though.

https://www.timeout.com/london/blog/milkmen-still-exist-in-london-and-thanks-to-

Who still uses the milkman. on 14:34 - Dec 8 with 789 viewsSheffieldHoop

Not got a milkman but would prefer it....
Had a look on Milk and More.......We currently pay 1.45 for 4-pint cartons in Aldi...2x green and 1x blue.
The same would cost 16 quid a week via the milkman.
Nah, you're alright.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Who still uses the milkman. on 14:39 - Dec 8 with 787 viewsBoston

That was nice of your milkman, did he let you milk his cow blindfolded?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Who still uses the milkman. on 19:39 - Dec 25 with 570 viewskernowhoop

Wasn't there once a dairy on the corner of Loftus Road?

Who still uses the milkman. on 22:12 - Dec 25 with 469 viewsBoston

Beside White City Station, mate.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024