Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not football related, but London related. 19:00 - Feb 18 with 2777 viewskropotkin41

I thought some of you might like this, bit of history, bit of linguistics.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Not football related, but London related. on 19:09 - Feb 18 with 2740 viewsSonofNorfolt

Bruce Dickinson is a busy man.
I like the clarification that they are not actual recordings from the times.

Not football related, but London related. on 19:46 - Feb 18 with 2626 viewskarl

Very interesting, strangely there are a lot of passages of speech in the 1400s examples that are very similar to accents/dialect in the countryside or small Isles up here, uncannily so. Also a Norwegian customer of mine speaks in English a little like it too, but less so than the Orcadian.

Not football related, but London related. on 19:54 - Feb 18 with 2612 viewskarl

Cor Blimey! I've realised this means in 2621 I'll be speaking like Danny Dyer!! 😂 Cushtie

Not football related, but London related. on 20:08 - Feb 18 with 2575 viewskropotkin41

Lot of Danes settled in London from the 9th to 11th Centuries and in the later Middle Ages I presume the Hanseatic/Baltic connection kept up the Scandi influence a bit - just a guess. I know recognisably modern London accents were heavily influenced by Scottish, Irish and Welsh accents as well as rural English.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Not football related, but London related. on 20:10 - Feb 18 with 2572 viewsMrSheen

British and Irish WW1 prisoners of war recorded by a German philology professor. Strange varieties. In the days when people rarely travelled more than 10 miles from home, you could get big differences over short distances...only Lancashire seems to have kept that.
https://sounds.bl.uk/Accents-and-dialects/Berliner-Lautarchiv-British-and-Common
[Post edited 18 Feb 2021 20:14]

Not football related, but London related. on 22:40 - Feb 18 with 2391 viewsted_hendrix

My surname (not bloody Hendrix) but my real surname dates back to Danish settlers in Cornwall way back when.
My old Man was born in Bow London and I was born in Hammersmith which on thinking about it is irrelevant.
If I started to speak like Danny Dyer I'd probably sound like a tw@t yea I would sound like a tw@t.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Not football related, but London related. on 22:51 - Feb 18 with 2376 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Fascinating. Thanks for that.

1946 just reminds me of certain Peter Cook characters.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Not football related, but London related. on 22:57 - Feb 18 with 2358 viewsDannyPaddox

I met an old woman from Tottenham.

That sounds too much like a limerick. I’ll start again. In the course of work about five years ago I met an elderly woman who lived in Tottenham. She was in her 90s but with a mind still sharp. I’m not that familiar with Tottenham but she lived in a normal looking street away from the high road and with a bit of elevation and a view. It felt more suburban than urban. I love people’s accents and trying to place them or what has influenced their intonation. It’s each person’s own music.

To me this old lady had a burr in her voice - not an obvious one but it was there and I’m thinking she was probably born in Norfolk or Suffolk and moved to London many years ago. I pointed out the view of Tottenham and beyond from her front garden and said it was an interesting mix of old and new architecture as well as the green of the cemetery. She said when she was younger it was all fields. I’m still assuming she’s from Suffolk or Norfolk so I ask did you move to Tottenham as a child. She says no - I was born here - lived in Tottenham all my life. I thought amazing - Tottenham would’ve been the countryside even in the 1920s and the accent would’ve indeed been a bit yokel.

Great video in the original post. Who knows how accurate it is but I can hear Scandinavian, Geordie, Cork and many other dialects in the very early London accent. The mid/ late Victorian story (1866?) is so well told with a killer punchline or as a 14th century Londoner might say - hilaariooos.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2021 23:02]

Not football related, but London related. on 23:02 - Feb 18 with 2341 viewsstowmarketrange

The post office train I worked on had a few Geordies on it and 1 mackem.They were in cities only 8 miles apart from each other,but they spoke totally different from each other.

Not football related, but London related. on 23:24 - Feb 18 with 2307 viewsted_hendrix

I worked all my working life in the construction industry, I've worked with Irish people from every County North and South of the border so as you can imagine I've heard a whole array of Irish accents, the Wifes family are all Co Mayo so I know loads of them obviously having been back there enough times.
Tell you what though blindfold me and get say five Irishmen from different County's in the room, get them all to say the same sentence and I'll pick the one from Co Mayo every time.

And now for something completely different; when you next go to NYC ask a New Yorker a question and I guarantee he'll ask you a question straight back without answering your question.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Not football related, but London related. on 23:43 - Feb 18 with 2264 viewsdannyblue

When I was 17 I had the chance to really hear English as if it was a foreign language. We were eating something at a motorway cafe outside Barcelona and a group of lads were talking at the next table. I assumed it was Norwegian or something like that, until I spotted the word VAUX on the top one of them was wearing it. When my mind clicked that it was a Sunderland top I could tune in and realised they were actually speaking English. I couldn't tune it out and hear it just for the sounds rather than the words again after that.

Not football related, but London related. on 08:47 - Feb 19 with 2079 viewsMetallica_Hoop

1466 sound like the dude that did the spoken poems.
I forget the chaps name sounds a bit taffy and did a famous one about the railway.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Not football related, but London related. on 09:46 - Feb 19 with 2037 viewswood_hoop

'She says no - I was born here - lived in Tottenham all my life. I thought amazing - Tottenham would’ve been the countryside even in the 1920s and the accent would’ve indeed been a bit yokel.'

A little off tangent, but as a young teenager lived between Tottenham and Wood Green in early 70's, got invited to a party near Barnet, fcucking about slipped over and broke my wrist, taken to Barnet hospital to get it fixed, had then to travel every few weeks to get it checked out, best way to do the trip to Barnet was from Wood Green bus station on a London Country Green Bus,not even sure they exist now.

Barnet then was considered out in the sticks, not now just another part of the London spread., so even in my lifetime the green fields surrounding London are now further out, dont remember the Barnt lot having a burr to their accent though.

Not football related, but London related. on 10:01 - Feb 19 with 2017 viewstoboboly

Yep, the Broadwater Farm estate (rough) was actually a farm until recently

https://www.haringey.gov.uk/libraries-sport-and-leisure/culture-and-entertainmen

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Not football related, but London related. on 10:26 - Feb 19 with 1983 viewswood_hoop

'Lordship Rec housed a great cycle track for children to help them learn how to ride bicycles and understand road awareness. It used to have traffic lights and was called a Model Traffic Area, with a miniature road setting and layout. Canoes, rowing boats and deck chairs were a common feature in the Rec.'

'There used to be an open-air lido just off Lordship Lane, which was an essential visit in good weather.'

This thread is amazing, I am ten years old again, lived only ten minute walk away from the Lido and the Rec., went to both many many times, old Winnies fruit and veg shop in Lordship Lane where used to try and pinch a piece of fruit from the table outside the shop whever walking by, learning to swim and dive from a 5m board at the lLdo

Rremember Broadwater Farm Estate being built, lived there for a short while, before the riots, knew a few peple that lived there that bore the brunt though.

Not football related, but London related. on 10:31 - Feb 19 with 1972 viewstoboboly

I now live where you grew up!

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Not football related, but London related. on 10:33 - Feb 19 with 1971 viewsMrSheen

West Cork accent controversial - Brian can confirm - but Belfast and Kerry are tremendous.

Not football related, but London related. on 12:17 - Feb 19 with 1882 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Both Cork accents are way off, but they're two very hard accents to get right.
Like all accents, I suppose.

Not football related, but London related. on 12:19 - Feb 19 with 1868 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Will most likely spend hours listening to these. Great find, thanks!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024