Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Energy bills 23:01 - Aug 24 with 43789 viewsHayesender

Watching the news earlier, they were talking about the impact these energy bill rises will have on small businesses.

It got me thinking (dangerous I know) about the potential effect it could have on our club, and other clubs of similar and smaller size?

Not only the day to day running costs and matchday costs, but also the affect its gonna have on attendances.

Obviously when it comes down to heating, eating, mortgage, rent etc, days out with mates and family watching football, or any sporting event, are gonna have to take a back seat for many people.

Unless the government (lol) take action now, its gonna be a bleak winter for many people and businesses, and I fear for people's mental well being

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Energy bills on 23:04 - Aug 24 with 9725 viewsdaveB

I think it will have an affect on football, attendance wise more on away travel I think as the cost of that is sky high at the moment.

The Govertment will be praying England win the world cup and take everyones mind off it all for a few weeks

Energy bills on 23:05 - Aug 24 with 9723 viewsozexile

As an expat can you please explain why this year bills are going to rise so much this year as opposed to previous years? Brexit? Tories? Or a perfect storm of both.

Energy bills on 23:11 - Aug 24 with 9708 viewsHayesender

Someone with alot more savvy than me could hopefully answer this,, but atm ithe excuses seem to be ranging from brexit, Putiin, torys, and greedy ceo's.

The brexit one doesn't really stack up though, as Ireland seem to be in a similar situation, and they're in the EU.

I stand to be corrected

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Energy bills on 23:12 - Aug 24 with 9706 viewstraininvain

Unlike residential properties which are facing eye watering energy cost increases despite the price cap, there’s no such price cap for commercial properties.

Many pubs and restaurants are therefore facing 5/6x the energy costs they were paying 12 months ago. I.e. if they were paying £1k per month it’s now £5k/£6k per month. It’s unviable and will break many businesses without government support.
[Post edited 24 Aug 2022 23:12]

Energy bills on 23:15 - Aug 24 with 9673 viewsjohann28

Combo of things
* higher demand as economies reopened from Covid-19 lockdowns, and as competition for supplies between regions intensified.

* Russia’s invasion of Ukraine led to sharp cuts in gas supplies to Europe - even though the U.K. gets only 3% of its gas from Russia, it is a net importer (around 40% comes from Europe)

* The UK's particularly high gas demand as it has a greater proportion of homes heated with gas than most European countries and as it generates about a third of its electricity from burning natural gas

* Uk government's unwillingness to cap prices (as Macron has done in France)

Energy bills on 00:50 - Aug 25 with 9548 viewsLythamR

We are particularly struggling due to the poor value for the £ against the $ which is where Brexit comes into the equation

I fear the impact to business is going to be huge to many businesses and Football clubs wont be immune, any business that relies on discretionary spending is going to be impacted which will results in closures, loss of jobs etc

Buckle up for a very bumpy ride there is no easy or quick fix to this

Energy bills on 01:03 - Aug 25 with 9520 viewsDavieQPR

The Green lot are partly responsible as well. There is a Green tax on all bills plus the push for greener methods of output. Closing coal and nuclear power stations when alternatives are not ready Also refusing new licences for North Sea oil. All this doesn't help.

Energy bills on 01:10 - Aug 25 with 9525 viewsconnell10

The so called global market !!!!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Energy bills (n/t) on 04:12 - Aug 25 with 9439 viewsessextaxiboy

It’s just Putin
[Post edited 25 Aug 2022 4:13]

Energy bills on 07:04 - Aug 25 with 9307 viewsdaveB

this is gonna be a 6 pager by lunchtime

Energy bills on 07:17 - Aug 25 with 9290 viewsjohnhoop

Clive is going to love you for that.

Energy bills on 07:26 - Aug 25 with 9260 viewsdistortR

More then Putin or Brexit, I would say it's been privatization of the utilities and the fixation on dividends and bonus's that that's engendered, at the cost to the needs of the country. So at the moment we are actually exporting gas to European countries struggling with shortages mainly caused by the Ukrainian situation, and this is partly because we have very limited storage capacity for gas now. It's worth noting we have also been exporting electricity to France (Mind you, French government can offset some of this being a major shareholder of EDF),who are going to have major problems themselves after the discovery of stress corrosion cracking in at least one of it's nuclear plants.
The one factor in all this no one has mentioned as yet,which is unique to Britain, is Keith Stroud.

Energy bills on 07:53 - Aug 25 with 9192 viewsSakura

The reason we are in this mess is because politicians don't understand physics.

Here is Joe Biden in 2020: "No more subsidies for the fossil fuel industry. No more drilling including offshore. No ability for the oil industry to continue to drill period. It ends."

https://mobile.twitter.com/DanODonnellShow/status/1501202578033438720?ref_src=tw

And here is Greta in 2019 getting Gove and Miliband to say her comments on no more North Sea Oil developments or pressing on with Fracking she had instead “woken us up"

So Hayesender, the reason is that we and the rest of the Western world have been foolish enough to think we could stop developing our own fossil fuels and rely on imports from elsewhere especially Russia. And then also rely on wind and solar which to anyone who really understands what their talking about that was always going to lead where we are. Because we can't meet our energy needs that way. It isn't possible currently

Here is Germany literally laughing at Trump after he says the country could become totally dependent on Russian energy in 2018:

https://mobile.twitter.com/marcusgilmer/status/1044604107997237249

Nuclear energy is the answer. Anyone who pretends to take climate change seriously but doesn't support nuclear isn't a credible person. But here's Nick Clegg in 2010 opposing Nuclear power because it wouldn't come on line until 2021 or 2022

https://mobile.twitter.com/mlanetrain/status/1556381583585804291

The reason your energy bills are high are because of people like Clegg, Miliband and Gove. Because of Greta Thunberg. Because the Tories have pursued net zero

LythamR suggests it is to do with Brexit causing a weak pound vs the dollar. That is not what caused it. More complex reason around that but an easy proof of why that isn't true let's look at the Euro vs the Dollar. Currently 1 EUR is equal to 1 USD. For most of the last 10 years 1 EUR was equal to 1.2 USD

So the key reason your bills are so high this winter is because we pursued this suicidal Green agenda whilst not developing our own energy independence, using fracking, North Sea oil and Nuclear.

Add on to this the cost of lockdowns. And printing billions of pounds for healthy people to sit at home while we shut down the economy. That devalued our currency also

We need to get nuclear energy to the front of our energy policy but that takes time unfortunately so we are stuck paying for the errors of our politicians in the west

“Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

We are in the last part of that sadly

Energy bills on 07:55 - Aug 25 with 9159 viewsstevec

Successive governments of the last twenty five years.

Coal under our feet they refuse to get out of the ground.
Gas under our feet they refuse to get out of the ground.
Fracking they refuse to implement.
Nuclear Power which they refuse to invest in.

It takes special kinds of idiots to withdraw from the things we have in abundance before the alternative is in place.

Every member of Parliament from 1997 to the present day should be stripped of all their assets and left destitute to pay towards the publics energy bills.

That’ll be a drop in the ocean to the cost ahead of us but it’ll learn future politicians not to fck with our lives.

Every single person should tot up last years energy bill, tell the power companies they’ll allow another 10% on top for inflation and set their direct debit at that amount and refuse to pay a penny more.

All the crap blaming Russia is a smokescreen for their incompetence in managing their own countries needs.

Energy bills on 08:02 - Aug 25 with 9143 viewsstevec

Absolutely brilliant mate, I salute you 👍

Energy bills on 08:18 - Aug 25 with 9116 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I 've been saying nuclear for years.

We need to build our own too, we figured it out in the 40's/50's no reason why we cannot now.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Energy bills on 08:39 - Aug 25 with 9062 viewsCamberleyR

The green levies make up about 8% of an energy bill and not the 25% that some Tory MPs have claimed.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Energy bills on 08:56 - Aug 25 with 8975 viewsdmm

I'm astonished that some believe using fossil fuels or building nuclear electricity solves the problems we face. Renewables are quicker, cheaper and are what the majority of people want.

Wind projects commissioned now can be up and running in around 18 months, while the most recent nuclear projects, announced in 2010, won’t produce any energy until 2026 at the earliest.

The cost of nuclear power is about twice as high per unit of electricity as onshore wind.

This government’s own polling shows support for onshore windfarms from four out of five people in the UK. A Survation poll last year found that people who live near existing wind farms are the most supportive of all.

And of course, renewable energy tackles the most important issue of all, the climate emergency.

Energy bills on 09:17 - Aug 25 with 8935 viewsderbyhoop

The war in Ukraine has cut supplies and wholesale prices have risen dramatically. Fuel is.priced in $. So the post 2016 fall in £:$ exchange rate has raised the costs some more. So some Brexit related reasons apply. Many energy suppliers misread the market and have had to pay high prices they couldn't sustain. Some Govts, notably France, have capped prices far more than UK.

So, as so often, a range of factors.

Still not good for consumers, some of whom will be forced to choose between eating and heating. Pray for a mild winter.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Energy bills on 09:38 - Aug 25 with 8841 viewsEsox_Lucius

This well written article from May explains a lot of the problems in a clear and understandable way and may be of interest to those who have not taken a lot of notice of the process.
https://www.economicsobservatory.com/why-are-uk-energy-prices-rising

It is also arrant nonsense to claim that Green energy is to blame for this crisis. At some point in the future there will be a negative ROI on fossil fuel extraction and, as with coal, companies will cease to pour money in for dwindling returns.
As an island nation it makes perfect sense to reinvest the energy infrastructure in wind, wave and solar generation. Generation costs are between 30% to 50% cheaper than their nuclear & fossil counterparts.
A 6 mKw wind costs around £20-25k to build and erect and has a capital risk investment return of 15-20 years dependent on demand and usage. Solar panels are a much cheaper solution of residential users and, along with other infrastructure demands on new builds, should be a part of any contracts for developers. The costs for this are far lower than nuclear and fossil fuel alternatives and, other than equipment renewal/ expansion have negligible impact on the environment or affect climate change negatively.
One of the clouds on the horizon of this bright future, IMO, is the Chinese ownership of our National grid and the major supplier of the components for renewables, especially PV strings, is China. Their current harassing of Taiwanese airspace should make people worried as 2/3 of all processors are produced in Taiwan.

The grass is always greener.

Energy bills on 09:41 - Aug 25 with 8853 viewsslmrstid

My company's energy contract expires at the end of next month and we're expecting any renewals to lead to an increase of about £600,000 based on current usage, although various means are being taken to try and offset some of this. Our 2021/22 spend was approx. £285,000.

So to give a real life commercial example of what's coming for us...

Energy bills on 09:55 - Aug 25 with 8804 viewslightwaterhoop

The politicians of all types have led us into this mess with their ridiculous sanctions against Russia and their childish concerns about so called climate change.They will try to get out of it by borrowing and printing money and increasing taxes because its the only thing they know how to do.

Energy bills on 10:01 - Aug 25 with 8783 views89_50

To tip toe around the political side of things for a sec, I do wonder what the energy costs are for football clubs.

Based on nothing at all, I wonder if we'll see some midweek evening matches rescheduled for daytime, for clubs that are struggling with costs.

Energy bills on 10:11 - Aug 25 with 8736 viewsterryb

On the football clubs front, the Isthmian league has given permission for it's clubs to kick off earlier on Saturday's to avoid using floodlights. Obviously this is for the winter rather than now. Perhaps some EFL clubs may follow suit?

It can't do anything about midweek matches though as part time players wouldn't be available prior to the evening.

Energy bills on 10:21 - Aug 25 with 8715 viewsBoston

The Winter of Discontent...part 2.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024