Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Since others are plugging their books for Christmas … 19:43 - Dec 18 with 4703 viewsNW5Hoop

Why not buy mine? A book of the year in the Guardian, the Times and Uncut! There must be someone in your life who loves old blokes talking about setting things on fire. https://www.hachette.co.uk/titles/michael-hann/denim-and-leather/9781472134080/

Since others are plugging their books for Christmas … on 21:00 - Dec 18 with 4479 viewsHollowayHoop

How come you're never on the Football Weekly podcast anymore? I still occasionally borrow one of your lines that really tickled me: "Nobody likes QPR. I don't even like QPR and I support them".

Out of interest, does one need to be a heavy metal fan to enjoy your book?

Since others are plugging their books for Christmas … on 21:04 - Dec 18 with 4452 viewsozranger

Out of interest, how many books have been published this year either by our fans or about QPR this past year.

I can count at least four, including yours.

Since others are plugging their books for Christmas … on 22:50 - Dec 18 with 4236 viewsngbqpr

Never realised you were on here Michael, though long been aware you're an R.

Afraid I won't be purchasing as metal is one of the very few genres of music I'm not into - but have been a fan of your writing for many, many years - so thank you.

We have a mutual friend in Alexis P.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Since others are plugging their books for Christmas … on 22:52 - Dec 18 with 4224 viewsNW5Hoop

Because I left my staff job at the Guardian in 2017. They only had me on because I was free, from being on staff.

Since others are plugging their books for Christmas … on 23:38 - Dec 18 with 4112 viewsJigsore

might actually be the perfect present for my tight-lipped brother, thanks

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Since others are plugging their books for Christmas … on 01:02 - Dec 19 with 4031 viewsSonofNorfolt

Credit to all of us for writing, or attempting to convey our thoughts in the hope that it will resonate with like minded people.
Unfortunately, timing and/or availability/exposure makes all the difference.
My second book, of which I'm immensely proud, has not yet reached the level I'd hoped mainly due to myself not being proactive enough, due to life circumstances/lethargy but a slice of luck can still play an enormous part.
It'll happen when you expire in a tragic cable car accident, the signed copies, 'To Alice, hope you die screaming...' suddenly become collector's items.

On a personal level, the NWOBHM, was, musically, not close to the output of the 70's rock bands, Schenker in UFO for example, utterly brilliant, MSG not so much. Priest, 'Stained Class' excellent, tuneful, 80's output, heavy but meh.........
Good luck.............

Since others are plugging their books for Christmas … on 09:44 - Dec 19 with 3803 viewsterryb

It's Round & it's White.

Two decades on this is still the best football show to be aired on radio. A must listen on a Saturday morning that captured my wife's attention as well as my own.

Thank you Michael (and Tom) for the joy you gave us.

Since others are plugging their books for Christmas … on 12:30 - Dec 19 with 3640 viewsNushnool

Thanks for the heads-up, I'm a big fan of NWOBHM, so it's swiftly getting added to my wish-list.

Edit: great cover!
[Post edited 19 Dec 2022 12:32]

Since others are plugging their books for Christmas … on 14:04 - Dec 19 with 3519 viewsR_from_afar

Good luck with the book, a great topic and a genre which has long been a big part of my life.

As a teenager, I felt like a colossus as I strode around Buckinghamshire with a Saxon patch sewed onto my sweatshirt when in reality I was a shaggy haired southern softie

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Since others are plugging their books for Christmas … on 09:29 - Dec 20 with 3275 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I just bought a copy on Amazon though its telling me it isn't out yet (might be the paper back).

Anyway I'm looking forward to reading it.

I was a bit too young for NWOBHM but as a teen in the early-mid 90's I knew all the big names and as I've got older some of the more obscure ones.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Since others are plugging their books for Christmas … on 10:25 - Dec 20 with 3098 viewsNW5Hoop

Yes, that's the paperback, due in Feb. You'll get a good bit of Lars Ulrich for your money. A three hour interview I had to do at 4pm his time — California. So midnight to 3am for me!

Since others are plugging their books for Christmas … on 12:38 - Dec 20 with 2866 viewsTacticalR

A couple I have read published this year are:

xianwol's British Rail: A New History
https://www.christianwolmar.co.uk/book/british-rail/

Dom Ball's From Winning Teams to Broken Dreams
QPR Academy in Dominic Balls book.... by TacticalR 22 Sep 2022 11:13
Just finished the book, which I wanted to read before listening to Finney's interview with Ball. It's about the nuts and bolts of youth football, plus some self-analysis from Ball about his own ups and downs in football. One of the points he makes is the one that Wilkinswatercarrier mentioned earlier in this thread - failure is essential to the system, because the majority are just making up the teams for the talented players to play in (because football is not an individual skill that you can learn on your own).

It's an easy read and quite short. Note that it's only available in a paper version.

Air hostess clique

Since others are plugging their books for Christmas … on 19:04 - Dec 21 with 2304 viewsstainrods_elbow

Here's mine - I'm sure there'll be a deluge of takers!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/H%C3%B6lderlins-Poltergeists-Voices-German-Civilization

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Since others are plugging their books for Christmas … (n/t) on 00:29 - Dec 22 with 2121 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

[Post edited 22 Dec 2022 0:44]

Since others are plugging their books for Christmas … on 00:37 - Dec 22 with 2105 viewsDorse

I chose mine because I felt it made me sound more relatable but, on reflection, whilst I think I got the surname right, using 'J K' as a forename was bit nobby.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Since others are plugging their books for Christmas … on 00:48 - Dec 22 with 2098 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Lend us a few quid. I'm not trans I swear.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024