Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Guitar playing thread 13:58 - Jan 19 with 24188 viewsBluce_Ree

*Now includes bassists*

I know there's a few of us on here. Would be interesting to know what you're up to (as opposed to this just being a lot of youtube vids of good guitarists).

What guitars do you have? What style do you play? How do you practice?
[Post edited 19 Jan 2023 14:30]

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Guitar playing thread on 17:59 - Jan 19 with 2720 viewsRs_Holy

I took the lessons option because I’m getting on a bit and didn’t want to dick about for 2-3 years not really understanding what the hell I was doing… Glad I did but lessons are not for everyone.

Guitar playing thread on 18:03 - Jan 19 with 2712 viewsHooping_Mad

Used to try years ago, was completely useless. Could play the intro to sweet child of mine to a high standard, and maybe a few Misfits tracks. Nothing else!

Couldn't stand being told how good I was when I knew different. If I pick one up now it's a bit sad, like meeting an old flame.

This site has a good breakdown of which manufacturing years Telecasters are worth considering. Seems Fender blow hot and cold, similar traits to us.

https://guitarquarter.com/electric-guitars/fender-telecaster-the-best-and-worst-
[Post edited 19 Jan 2023 18:23]

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Guitar playing thread on 19:27 - Jan 19 with 2634 viewsPeterHucker

Very interesting reading these other posts.

I've had a few guitars over the years, sold them all now & I only own 1 acoustic and 1 fairly new guitar now.

I had a few Telecasters, initially a white one that I bought off a kid in school. But then I traded that in for a black one because of Joe Strummer.

Later one like Bruce's which got nicked out of a van after a gig in Ghent, Belgium.

One of my favourites was a Peavey T60 that looked like this one.
That was my main guitar and I loved it. But after 20ish years of gigging with it, it was kind of done in, too much beer spilt on it, too many times knocked over or into things (including once when I hit the keyboard player with it!)
So after several times getting it fixed and then it would break again, I sold it a few years ago. A good thing really because as much as I loved the sound, look and feel of it, it was pretty heavy and I'd started to have some health issues with my shoulder.

Another guitar that I owned for years but never particularly loved was a Fender Stratocaster 25th anniversary edition.
Amazingly this was given to me for free. A mate of mine used to manage a theatre and they found this guitar in its hard case in some store room. They contacted all the people who'd played there recently but no-one claimed the guitar so my mate just gave it to me.

If you have one of these in mint condition they are worth upwards of 2 grand.
The one I was given did not have the original pickups or neck so it wasn't worth as much as that. But I never liked playing it much, the electrics were pretty temperamental so I sold that a few years ago too.

With the money from selling that Strat I easily had enough to buy a red Danelectro 63.
I'm in my 50s now with all the various shoulder and back problems that seem to come with being an old git so it's good to have a lighter guitar. I think it looks great too.
Not sure I've ever seen anyone famous playing one of these.
Elvis Costello, Peter Buck & Mark Everett from Eels all have a few Danelectros but not sure I've seen any of them playing a 63.

The only other guitar I have is a Washburn semi-acoustic that I've had for probably 30 years. It's got quite a few dents and battlescars on it but it still sounds great to me.

Guitar playing thread on 19:43 - Jan 19 with 2621 viewscharmr

My guitar teacher around 1985 sold me his 1964 cherry red Gibson 335. Still have it however I don’t play it enough and I’m not very good. Looks amazing though.

Guitar playing thread on 20:50 - Jan 19 with 2575 viewscorse

Been playing bit over 45 years, doing gigs with the band cross europe when time and work allows. Mostly into hc punk, crust and doom metal. If not rehearsing with the band for gig or studio etc i hardly touch my guitars at home unless makin new songs.
Guitars,
Gordon Smith GS 1
Gibson Sg Special with mini humbuckers
Green Comfort series lp with emg pick ups( These are great,
very affordable guitars made in south korea. Excellent craftmanship and pretty as peaches. Pretty hard to find)
Amps n cab
Marshall Origin 20 w head
Cicognani 44 w head
Hayden 120 w cab
Pedals
Pisdiyauwot emma electronics distortion
Foxgear compressor
[Post edited 19 Jan 2023 20:54]

Guitar playing thread on 21:54 - Jan 19 with 2549 viewsozexile

Just recently took up guitar again after a long long absence.
I'm really enjoying learning this time and realise it truly is a lifetime pursuit.
I have a Epiphone Les Paul classic that I love.
And I received a gift voucher for Xmas so that bought a PRS se Silver sky.
It really is a great smooth guitar but isn't as forgiving as the Les Paul.
I'm finding I can play sloppily on the Les Paul and get away with it. No chance on the PRS.
I'm doing courses on Truefire which I love.

Guitar playing thread on 23:21 - Jan 19 with 2509 viewsBluce_Ree

PRS Silver Sky. Fancy!

Guitar playing thread on 08:52 - Jan 20 with 2423 viewsBluce_Ree

One of the things I've been looking at for a while is this guitar.

https://www.lavamusic.com/blue-lava-original-m

It's very ugly but it's got FX built in. It does looping. That'd be amazing for me as I've been trying to figure out jazz guitar and being able to loop chords and then solo over them would be really great for my playing.

But a) it looks like a toy and b) it's like £700. I don't ever pay over £400 for a guitar.

Guitar playing thread on 09:11 - Jan 20 with 2400 viewsA40Bosh

Warwick Thumb
Yum Yum Yum!!

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Guitar playing thread on 09:20 - Jan 20 with 2398 viewsEsox_Lucius

You can still buy a copy of Bert Weedon's Play In A Day. It's where many a great guitarist started. I still have mine in my guitar case, along with my Epiphone 5102TE I bought in 1969 and still plays beautifully.

The grass is always greener.

Guitar playing thread on 10:27 - Jan 20 with 2381 viewscolinallcars

As read by Eric Clapton on the sleeve of the John Mayall's Bluesbreakers LP.

Guitar playing thread on 10:30 - Jan 20 with 2377 viewsozexile

SE.......the American one is about $4,000. The SE was about $800

Guitar playing thread on 10:45 - Jan 20 with 2365 viewsted_hendrix

My PRS SE was made In Indonesia and I hope yours was too, some SE models are still made In China and I was careful to steer clear of those guitars.
The build quality/playability and sound is superb.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Guitar playing thread on 11:18 - Jan 20 with 2331 viewsSonofpugwash

I got coerced by a mate into buying a Baldwin bass guitar with the express purpose of forming a band doing Mountain cover material with two bass guitars.Most of my fillings fell out,discovered also you can't do slide on a bass guitar.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Guitar playing thread on 11:42 - Jan 20 with 2308 viewsBluce_Ree

Aside from the slightly poor fret finishing on it, I'm otherwise very confident with the build quality of my Harley Benton Tele and that was made in Indonesia. I think engineering globally has gotten to a point where a budget guitar is going to be at the very least quite playable now. And an $800 PRS is going to be better than most guitars generally.

Not sure where my Ibanez was made but it's the most playable guitar I've ever had. The only downside was that the hardware was what they call 'Cosmo Chrome' or something and it tarnished very quickly. I ended up replacing the bridge, pots and pick up mounts with black ones and now it looks mint.

Guitar playing thread on 11:50 - Jan 20 with 2303 viewsBluce_Ree

In terms of learning to play, I'd say that the things you need to learn are;

1) your basic chords. Your C majors, E minors. Basically your bullshit Bryan Adams/Bon Jovi ballad chords. Learn C, D, E, F, G, A, B chords and their minor equivalents at least.

2) Barre chords.

* at this point start figuring out what songs have these type of chords and learn them.

3) some basic scales. Learn a major scale, a minor scale and a blues scale and you've got 99% of rock/metal/blues absolutely sussed. This is the biggest step in learning to solo.

* at this point look at what Slash, Kirk Hammett, Eric Clapton, BB King are doing. It's really simple once you realise they're using like two scales. BB King/Clapton really just use one.

4) Learn how 7th chords work. It took me about 27 years of playing before I decided I needed to figure this out. In doing it, I really learned how basic chords work too. But this really elevates your game. It's worth knowing what a major 7th, minor 7th, dominant 7th are for. I'm not doing it very efficiently but I feel like it has really leveled up my understanding of the guitar.

5) Learn some difficult songs/music/techniques. My current learning projects are the guitar duel ending from the film Crossroads (search for Eugene's Trick Bag), Hot For Teacher by Van Halen and various non-guitar songs that I'm trying to work out guitar versions for. I'm not playing them brilliantly, but by even attempting them my playing is improving more in a year than it did in the last 20.

Guitar playing thread on 14:16 - Jan 20 with 2249 viewsSonofpugwash

Crossroads was/is a classic.Ry Cooder on slide and Steve Vai on both of the "classical" segments.I could do the main riff just about.

Here's one for you to try....

Guitar playing thread on 14:46 - Jan 20 with 2232 viewsted_hendrix

I've got a ceramic moonshine slide that's bloody ace.
I've been fecking around in open E for too long today, 'Something In The Air' by Thunderclap Newman Is a laugh, as Is the much more difficult 'Gimme Shelter'.

Ry Cooder's 'Dark Is The Night' Is my favourite along with 'Paris Texas' the music score from a great film.

Here Is the great Man himself--enjoy.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2023 14:47]

Guitar playing thread on 18:05 - Mar 28 with 2069 viewsBluce_Ree

Ugh. I can't abide expensive guitars or ugly guitars and I just bought something that is both. Well, kind of.

Lava Blue Touch guitar. It's an acoustic that has in built effects including looping. Now I've actually got a pretty good use case for that. I've spent the last two years trying to learn jazz guitar (slowly by teaching myself badly).

The looping on this means that feasibly I could set up a nice chord loop and then learn to solo over it in a jazz style - using a different scale/mode/arpeggio for each chord rather than the rock style of just playing a blues scale in the overall key.

Anyway, massive anxiety as it's twice what I've ever paid for a guitar in my life. Albeit only £623 but even so that's too much for a guitar in my opinion but fk it. It's done and when the weather picks up I'm going in the garden and playing the shit out of that motherf**ker.

https://store.lavamusic.com/uk/productDetail?id=2

Bought it on Amazon where there was a fairly decent deal on it.

Guitar playing thread on 18:59 - Mar 28 with 2012 viewsted_hendrix

Lot of changes since this post;
*Fender Vintera Series 60's Telecaster Bigsby (sunburst). Tuned to Open E.* (now sold)
*Fender Vintera Series 60's Telecaster Modified (Seafoam Blue) Tuned half a step down.* (now sold).
*I took delivery yesterday of a Vox MV50 AC 50W Nutube Portable Head check em out on You tube.* (now sold)

Since this post;
New " Gretsch G5222 Electromatic Double Jet BT" same colour and just like Malcolm Young's"
New " Gibson SG Tribute in faded cherry" Just like Angus Young's. (just under £1k)
New " Gretsch G5222 Electromatic Double Jet BT".
New "Laney Audiohub AH80 Acoustic Guitar Combo Amplifier"
New " EVH® 5150III® 15W LBX-Stealth Head" (Youtube the MOFO I don't know how to do YT vids anymore).

Hey Joe.

Guitar playing thread on 22:15 - Mar 28 with 1951 viewscolinallcars

The only tip I can offer is to stay with it - I stopped playing for a few years and tried to resume but lack patience. I'm primarily a joanna player anyhow.

Jon Scofield, a dissonant bop guitarist can show these young whippersnappers a thang or three.

Guitar playing thread on 20:42 - Mar 29 with 1808 viewsSonofpugwash

So laid back he keeps falling on his arse.

[Post edited 29 Mar 2023 20:49]

Guitar playing thread on 21:08 - Mar 29 with 1787 viewsRs_Holy

Guitar playing thread on 12:01 - Apr 1 with 1674 viewsmart_Goblin

Played in the metal band Orange Goblin for 26 years touring around the world with R’s shirts and flags displayed where possible . 9 albums and 2 live albums .
‘Retired’ 2 years ago for loads of reasons ..all of them selfish 😂.

Still got my 1971 Fender P bass in storage with the band (they are still recording and touring ) which I should retrieve as it’s the most expensive thing I own by some distance 😄

Guitar playing thread on 17:11 - Apr 1 with 1624 viewslarsricchi

I have a Fender P-Bass, something I picked up in the early 1990s in my quest to become Simon Gallup. I still have it; had a music shop give it a good restoration when the pandemic hit.

I subscribe to Ultimate Guitar, https://ultimate-guitar.com, cheap way to access a huge vault of tablature. (Way more six-string tabs than four-string, but selection is strong overall.) The site organizers post official tabs, but users will upload their own, and people can vote on them to give others an idea of how decent they are. The phone app is quite nice.

For a while, I got together every couple of weeks with a guitarist and a drummer, and we'd each pick one song to learn. Good way to motivate one another to practice, and diversify the songs I would learn.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024