Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Guitar playing thread 13:58 - Jan 19 with 24618 viewsBluce_Ree

*Now includes bassists*

I know there's a few of us on here. Would be interesting to know what you're up to (as opposed to this just being a lot of youtube vids of good guitarists).

What guitars do you have? What style do you play? How do you practice?
[Post edited 19 Jan 2023 14:30]

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Guitar playing thread on 10:51 - Oct 21 with 1647 viewsR_from_afar

Some track, thanks for posting!

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Guitar playing thread on 10:54 - Oct 21 with 1645 viewsSonofpugwash

Biggest load of cobblers ever - no mention at all of Gary Moore.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Guitar playing thread on 11:42 - Oct 21 with 1626 viewsted_hendrix

Rory Gallagher at number 175? get out of here.
Unless I'm insane there's no Alvin Lee? get out of here.
Peter Green at number 62? he's top ten minimum. get the fck out of here.
Worst of all one of the worlds greatest guitarists also hasn't made the list Paul Kossoff Isn't on the list at all.

Anyway.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Guitar playing thread on 12:29 - Oct 21 with 1609 viewscolinallcars

Rolling Stone has revised the list. Too many to list, but the top five is:

1 Ed Sheeran
2 Mother Teresa
3 Liam Gallagher
4 Boris Johnson
5 Hank Marvin

Guitar playing thread on 13:00 - Oct 21 with 1602 viewsQPRSteve

Very American-centric but they leave out Randy California. Some utter rubbish in that list.

So Many Brits missing: Andy Powell & Ted Turner, Steve Hillage, Mick Abrahams, Martin Barre, Stan Webb, Kim Simmonds and Steve Wilson to name but a few.

How Andy Summers makes the list but Ollie Halsall doesn't is beyond me. See the evidence below:

Guitar playing thread on 13:17 - Oct 21 with 1577 viewsSK_hoops

In terms of memorable riffs, Summers is up there with the best. Less technical than many though, I'll give you that.
[Post edited 21 Oct 2023 13:18]

Guitar playing thread on 14:25 - Oct 21 with 1562 viewsSonofpugwash

Popa Chubby,Jake Thackery,Walter Trout....can't see them....

Guitar playing thread on 14:43 - Oct 21 with 1544 viewsR_from_afar

I just listened and I'm with you on that one

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Guitar playing thread on 14:44 - Oct 21 with 1543 viewscolinallcars

Can't be bothered trawling through the list, but I imagine two Brits missing would be John Clarke and Steve Hillage. Oh, and Andy Roberts.

Guitar playing thread on 14:46 - Oct 21 with 1542 viewsSonofpugwash

Yes,and my old mate Mick Hutchinson.

Guitar playing thread on 19:34 - Oct 25 with 1452 viewsted_hendrix

Guitar playing thread on 20:52 - Oct 25 with 1421 viewsSonofpugwash

Yep,spot on.

Guitar playing thread on 14:30 - Oct 26 with 1372 viewsSonofpugwash

How in God's name can you ignore The Kingfish?

Guitar playing thread on 09:17 - Nov 9 with 1262 viewsBluce_Ree

Okay, so it turns out there was a real issue. The B string had a bit of a buzz to it. I figured I'd sort that when I got new strings on it (I also put on a set of locking tuners, Gotoh ones - really nice).

Anyway, the buzz continued. So I took it to a local guitar tech guy and he could see the body was fked where the bridge goes in. So now I need to send it back. WHAT A CHORE.

So fk it. I'm going for a full refund and buying this thing instead.

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/ibanez-as53-semi-acoustic-artcore-guitar-in-trans-bl

I'm an Ibanez guy. You can't go wrong with them. They've always been my favourite make.

Also, jazz guitar is still impossibly difficult.

Guitar playing thread on 10:06 - Nov 9 with 1232 viewsR_from_afar

Looks nice. When I needed to replace my original Squier Stratocaster, which had a cracked body where it had been dropped on a stone floor, twice , I tried loads of different electric guitars.

I discovered that my strumming action, short arms and poor technique are hampered by guitars with dual coil pickups - grrr - so my choice is limited.

To be honest, though, I love Stratocasters anyway so I ended up getting the cheapest Fender Strat, oh, and a locking guitar strap. Both times I dropped my original guitar, the strap became unhooked. When my nephew bought a new guitar recently, I made him get a locking strap. He hesitated due to the cost so I treated him to it.

Guitar playing thread on 10:32 - Nov 9 with 1222 viewsguitarzan

I always take my Ibanez on gigs Bluce. An excellent working guitar. Yes Jazz is difficult but everything you’re learning will help with other types of music. You never get to the end of the road with Jazz, there is always something more to learn, but that stops it being boring

Guitar playing thread on 12:54 - Nov 9 with 1178 viewsBluce_Ree

Yeah I'm enjoying learning things but I just wish the process was easier. I don't think my teacher is a great communicator. So in an hour's lesson I usually come out with a lot of questions and like one or two new insights.

Like at the moment the way I'm having to learn seems so unintuitive. It's like he forgot what it was like to learn himself. I'm having to learn dozens of chords but there's nothing really pinning it together.

If there was another teacher locally I'd try them out instead.

Guitar playing thread on 13:11 - Nov 9 with 1156 viewsguitarzan

What area do you live in?

Guitar playing thread on 14:36 - Nov 9 with 1111 viewsBluce_Ree

Up north mate. North West. Don't worry, I'll keep searching!

I did PM you once btw but the PM's don't leap out on this forum software. :)

Guitar playing thread on 15:31 - Nov 9 with 1100 viewscolinallcars

The first jazz guitar player I heard was Charlie Byrd, acoustic, fingerstyle, chord-based.
I couldn't read music back then and I learned lots of nice chords from his records.

Guitar playing thread on 15:34 - Nov 13 with 958 viewsBluce_Ree

I mentioned before that I took my new (f**ked) guitar to a local guitar tech guy. It's going back to Germany this week for a refund.

However, when I was there I gave him my Ibanez to adjust. I'd replaced some of the hardware on it a while back and it was never quite right after. It used to be perfectly playable and by the time I was done it had dead spots on the neck and whatever.

Anyway, this guy adjusted the hell out of it and now it's better than before. It's so playable now. Feels like cheating as I grew up on a cheap Fender Tele and my brother's Marlin Sidewinder, so having low action like this is like it's playing itself!

Guitar playing thread on 20:55 - Nov 14 with 874 viewsSpaceman_P

A list of my guitars

Fender Jaguar (Sunburst)
Burns 12 string Electric
Fender Duo Sonic 2
Hagstrom Futurama II
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fenton Weil Amazon
Silvertone 1448
a few acoustics
Vox Cougar Bass

Wife has
Silvertone Bobkat
Danelectro 12 string
GL Fallout
Epiphone Les Paul
Squier classic vibe Duo Sonic

Guitar playing thread on 22:14 - Nov 14 with 842 viewsted_hendrix

Sold my two pedal boards on Gumtree and bought the Boss ME-90 Multi Effects from PMT (wished I hadn't).

Guitar playing thread on 23:37 - Nov 14 with 826 viewsBluce_Ree

I had the ME-70 years ago and loved that thing. I didn't really use a lot of thr functionality though. I just dialled in a clean sound, a heavy one and a lead one. Between that and some looping (and tuning) that was all I needed.

Guitar playing thread on 23:43 - Nov 14 with 821 viewsqpr_1968

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024