Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Realistic scenario for change... 09:46 - Apr 8 with 6160 viewskropotkin41

There's a lot of talk about change, a reset maybe, but are there any realistic scenarios in which we have a change of ownership and that doesn't just mean go straight to AFC QPR, do not pass go, do not collect £..... etc?
I only wonder this because isn't one of the deep seated obstacles to QPR's progress that the borough doesn't like the owners? Also, what, at this stage are the owners getting out of this? It can't be fun can it?

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Realistic scenario for change... on 09:48 - Apr 8 with 4155 viewsloftboy

All our debt is to the owners, the cynical side of me thinks they are using us for the property’s that can be built on Loftus road..

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Realistic scenario for change... on 09:53 - Apr 8 with 4122 viewskropotkin41

Yeah, that might not be so much cynicism as realism....

Realistic scenario for change... on 10:00 - Apr 8 with 4087 viewsBlue_Castello

Nope I don't get that at all, the owners have pumped about £30 million into the training ground, I've bought into the Bond like hundreds of others, the owners want our club to be successful.

Now you can say more fool me for buying into the Bond, fair enough, the Bond is only any good whilst we have rich owners backing it, it's purely an Investment vehicle. As for the chances of finding new owners that's a pipe dream as explained over and again by the state of the clubs Finances, highlighted by Simon D.

Realistic scenario for change... on 10:13 - Apr 8 with 3991 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The board could start by voluntarily bringing democratically elected people in to represent the fan base, but it’s not in their nature as business owners to do that because I suspect democracy is the enemy of entrepreneurship in their view.

It won’t guarantee success but at least we have some control over the levers of the club and creates an avenue for change if we want it. It would dampen anger too because the buck would stop with us as fans as well as the owners.

At the moment we are just passive onlookers.

The LSA and other supporter groups should start to organise and grow though. How many of us can say we are active members of a fan group despite QPR being one of the most previous elements of our lives?

We join Unions and Associations and even political parties to protect every other aspect of our lives. Why aren’t we doing the same with our football clubs like they do in Germany or even Scotland?
[Post edited 8 Apr 2023 10:19]

Realistic scenario for change... on 10:16 - Apr 8 with 3960 viewskropotkin41

Fair play. I suppose I'd like to get a sense of where the problem really is, and how that might be shifted.

Realistic scenario for change... on 10:17 - Apr 8 with 3934 viewskropotkin41

Perhaps this season could be the catalyst?

Realistic scenario for change... on 10:17 - Apr 8 with 3911 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Let’s hope so.

Realistic scenario for change... on 10:21 - Apr 8 with 3818 viewsWegerles_Stairs

It depends who's elected. My suspicion is they'd have been happy clappers, so it wouldn't have made the slightest difference.

Realistic scenario for change... on 10:23 - Apr 8 with 3860 viewsJamesB1979

I like that idea but once elected how does the fans representative decide what to do? He/she has to take opinion from fanbase (somehow?) or is just elected to make their own decisions?

Realistic scenario for change... on 10:25 - Apr 8 with 3788 viewsClive_Anderson

I don't know....spending £250m to get your hands on £30m of property doesn't seem like the best deal going really.

Realistic scenario for change... on 10:26 - Apr 8 with 3805 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Like any other elected body, they would present their ideas, views, and a proposed strategy. That could come as a manifesto, or regular consultations, or direct democracy, or whatever.

Realistic scenario for change... on 10:35 - Apr 8 with 3751 viewsted_hendrix

I was In the LSA for a few Years and then lost Interest, still got me LSA badge somewhere.

I'm still struggling to come to terms with PNE's second goal yesterday.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Realistic scenario for change... on 10:39 - Apr 8 with 3712 viewsjohnhoop

Having unfortunately missed the Watford game I’m struggling to come to terms with the fact that I haven’t seen us win a game since frigging October.

Realistic scenario for change... on 12:16 - Apr 8 with 3567 viewsed_83

I don't think the owners themselves are the issue - they've sunk huge sums into the club and continue to pay the bills every month to keep us afloat. The problem is their total lack of footballing savvy, the continuing struggle to establish a model which works for us, and the failure of various people within the club to drive consistent progress and improvement.

If the owners don't know what they're doing, then they need to be appointing people who do, and holding them to account for delivering consistent, measurable progress against a really clear set of targets. Les, Lee, Amit, Andy Belk, the youth coaches and everyone else seem like lovely people by and large, but all of them have to be measured on results. If they're not, then that lack of standards and accountability infects the rest of the club, and filters down to the results on the pitch.

In terms of specific things which need changing, I can think of five:

1.) We need to get out of Loftus Road. It's a huge financial millstone and we won't be sustainable until we move. The training ground is good but it urgently needs to be followed by a new stadium. The owners have had a decade to deal with this and have fcked it repeatedly. They need to bring someone in who knows what they're doing and can deliver.

2.) Our youth team isn't producing enough Championship quality players, as evidenced by us having to go out and sign Chris Martin because we didn't have anyone capable of covering for 6 weeks while Dykes was out. For us to survive at this level then we need to be bringing through 1 or 2 first-team players a season as an absolute minimum. The new training ground should help, but ultimately if our development coaches can't deliver the players we need, then we need to replace them with people who can.

3.) Player recruitment is increasingly falling short. Too many powderpuff academy boys with no spine, too many of Beale's best mates who then down tools, signing Dillon Barnes then refusing to play him even when every other keeper at the club is injured. It's not all been terrible (selling Eze for £20m then signing Willock for £500k is exactly the sort of thing we should be doing) but we've gone backwards in recent windows. Who's holding the DOF and head of recruitment accountable for this?

4.) Player development and sales. This is a far bigger issue than recruitment for me, and the main area Les is falling short as DOF. Whether we like it or not, we need to be going out and aggressively marketing our players every single transfer window and getting them sold for profit, or the whole thing collapses. I know the market's tough, I know Covid and Brexit have made things even harder, but other clubs manage it. Our failure to sell one or more of Dykes, Willock, Chair, Field, Dickie, Dunne or Dieng when their stock was highest is a massive part of our current problems and will only get worse if and when we breach FFP. Who's responsible for this? Can they change things? If they can't, why are they still here?

5.) Financial management. I generally think Lee has fewer fckups on his report card than Les, but the ballooning wage bill and lack of player development is a financial as well as footballing issue. We're not balancing the books responsibly any more: who's stepping in to correct that, and why haven't they done it sooner?

Realistic scenario for change... on 12:26 - Apr 8 with 3542 viewsHooping_Mad

Didn't we score a whole one goal in December and we beat PNE with it?

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Realistic scenario for change... on 12:40 - Apr 8 with 3507 viewsmart_Goblin

Sensible points made well.

Whatever happens now, heads must roll.

And we need people in place working for the owners who have a bloody clue about building a football club

Realistic scenario for change... on 17:50 - Apr 8 with 3237 viewsPinnerPaul

Thought they had written off most of the debt.

Simon would know/explain but don't think the club IS in massive debt to the owners.

Realistic scenario for change... on 18:13 - Apr 8 with 3167 viewscolinallcars

It was a cracker, eh ?
I remember yonks ago, a really wet afternoon, two of our defenders - one I think was Zesh went for the ball and slid into each other. The big bloke in front of me leapt to his feet and shouted “oi, Torvill and Dean, sor' it aaahht”

Realistic scenario for change... on 18:17 - Apr 8 with 3135 viewsBrianMcCarthy

That's always been my worry, that and their attempt to couple a new ground move with a huge property deal like Old Oak Common.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Realistic scenario for change... on 18:18 - Apr 8 with 3107 viewsBrianMcCarthy

£30m?

Legal fees on Warren Farm, ground purchase, some of the construction...I didn't realise it was that high a figure for them.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Realistic scenario for change... on 01:50 - Apr 9 with 2781 viewsDamo1962

It's not often I agree with you Baz...but you are spot on here. What was the name of that QPR group that Stacy Dent and her husband were behind? I was a member once upon a time.

Realistic scenario for change... on 10:02 - Apr 9 with 2667 viewsBlue_Castello

To be honest I'm just repeating a figure I read on here recently as I'm not ITK, however I don't think it's unrealistic, the owners are funding the training ground. The Bond is purely an Investment vehicle, all of the Investors are expecting their money back with Interest, surely the security of that Investment is with the owners and they are liable for the funding of the Final payout.

Realistic scenario for change... on 10:41 - Apr 9 with 2589 viewsterryb

From Kieran Maquire's headline tweets when the accounts were published.

"QPR owe almost £6m to EFL for covid loans, £10.2m on FFP settlement, £68m on loans and £2.1m on player transfer instalments."

Realistic scenario for change... on 10:52 - Apr 9 with 2531 viewsGaryBannister86

I think it was Tracey Stent rather than Stacy Dent :-)

QPR1st. Nice lady.

Must say these fan-led groups are always tough work. For all the well-meaning, they do seem to cause increased in-fighting. As this message board proves, fans rarely agree with each other :-)

Realistic scenario for change... on 11:05 - Apr 9 with 2481 viewsdistortR

The £68m is probably to board members, who have been converting the loans in to equity. Even taking in our mismanagement, naivety, stupidity, that football is in such a state now that owner's are doing this...............................it's just not sustainable, or fun.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024