Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Crown Oil 14:05 - Sep 7 with 5920 viewsDalenet

I was reading about the top 25 most wealthy in Greater Manchester in the MEN recently. Sadly, nobody in Rochdale was on the list. The closest to us was the family that own Crown Oil registered in Heap Bridge.

With Crown Oil being our principal sponsor, and a local business, and an advertiser at other sports grounds in the area, they are clearly keen to support local sport commercially. They had a turnover of well over £400m last year, made a profit of £20m+ and had a healthly balance sheet. £18m or so was paid in dividends, presumably to the owners.

I wonder whether they have been approached about the prospect of taking an ownership option in the club. They know us well, are cash rich, and could create a lasting legacy for the family or the company in the town. Just a thought
[Post edited 7 Sep 2023 15:19]

Crown Oil on 15:17 - Sep 7 with 5803 viewsBainesy15

This is a great shout tbf but what are the chances

Crown Oil on 06:32 - Sep 8 with 5362 viewsdingdangblue

Reminds me of this tweet during our Spurs game.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Crown Oil on 10:49 - Sep 8 with 5162 viewsDorkingDale

Greensmith family, but it's third/fourth generation now so the wealth is probably spread amongst quite a few members. My niece's partner works for them & from what I've heard they are good employers.

Crown Oil on 14:21 - Sep 8 with 4938 viewsheywooddale

One of the owners was rumoured to be possibly buying or investing in Bury before one of the SD's can't remember whether it was before SD1 or SD2 bought the club. If it was before SD2 got involved, so it may have just been message board talk as I'm pretty sure everyone from the Northwest with money was interested in that famous old club according to them. Danny Boyle and Jim Ratcliffe were mentioned at one point thought the later may have been after SD2 started selling the family silver.
[Post edited 8 Sep 2023 14:22]

Crown Oil on 16:43 - Sep 8 with 4738 viewsD_Alien

Crown Oil sponsorship is very welcome, and probably helping keep Dale afloat

I wonder, if an approach by CO hasn't been made, or shares acquired (does anyone know?) maybe the board would be reluctant to initiate anything that might result in the boat being rocked and loss of sponsorship?

A separate point: i don't know how strong the Just Stop Oil movement is in the north west. Sponsorship is one thing, ownership another. It's a great unknown how the Net Zero issue will progress, and whilst i hasten to add that this point is NOT intended to open debate about the whole issue, just perhaps it might become too much of a hot potato (as opposed to a temperate one...)

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Crown Oil on 17:45 - Sep 8 with 4659 viewsDalenet

It may have been tried already DA, who knows. But if not, and I was SG, I would be making very sure that CO was being well looked after as sponsors, that we shared our strategy and challenges so that they can make an informed choice whether to invest further, and I would make sure they were taken for a very nice dinner to try and clinch a deal.

I am not sure about the just stop oil and whether it would impact at a club like ours. Can't be any worse than the Geordies deciding to throw all their principles away for more and more Saudia investment. Or Man City and the UAE. All money made through oil. I just don't see too many others with the potential they have stood in a queue.

Crown Oil on 17:51 - Sep 8 with 4652 viewsEllDale

I’m sure the Crown Oil website talks about their efforts and investment to source more sustainable forms of fuel.

Crown Oil on 18:13 - Sep 8 with 4622 viewsDorkingDale

Indeed it does .....HVO fuel. They are also carbon neutral.

Crown Oil on 18:15 - Sep 8 with 4618 viewsD_Alien

Quite, and my post wasn't intended as a criticism of your OP. I agree all options should be being explored, including potential partnerships based on mutual interests. If CO are taking initiatives that are compatible with future sustainable energy requirements, that could be seen as a positive

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Crown Oil on 23:25 - Sep 8 with 4393 viewsYorkshire_Dale

It's good to see our main sponsor continue to prosper and I hope their efforts to diversify progress....... are they not into developing Crown Oil Telecom as we speak?

Crown Oil on 19:49 - Sep 11 with 3747 viewswatford_dale

We are way too lowball for just stop oil, although I would happily take the entrance fee for them to get in and the extra publicity it would generate. Also can't possibly see that if CO came up with the greenest fuel ever it would add any numbers to our gate. Conversely if they decided to go drilling for oil in the polar ice caps I can't see it would take hundreds off our gate.

I would go for Saudi money tomorrow. Given the current circumstances - electricity bill, the emergency loan, state of the books, looking for new owners. Could it not conceivably make a few christmas lists this year to be sent to Father Christmas (old money) at the North Pole, provided Crown Oil have not commenced drilling there of course.

Crown Oil on 22:00 - Sep 11 with 3607 viewsjonahwhereru

Apologies for skewing the thread, but your preparedness to overlook concerns about the source of any potential inward investment draws to me to Southend. The council have approved an urgent assessment of the viability of the council shelling out 4.25 million to Ron Martin to buy the club. My mum and I discussed it this today. She only has minimal interest in the club as her grandson is a supporter. She thought it an abuse of funds. I thought it naive as they have less football knowledge than the Dale board. Plus without buying success they will soon learn that owning a football club is the quickest way to pick up critics. Not great for local politicians. I know RBC have stood by us financially in some very difficult times, but owning the whole club is something else.
I think Southend Council will see sense and step away after the review, but the concept of a council stepping in such a way is an interesting concept with potential more cons than pros.

Crown Oil on 23:11 - Sep 11 with 3524 views49thseason

I guess one of the things they have to do in Southend is to try and drive visitors to the town since a large slice of their prosperity or lack of it is predicated on tourism. Football clubs do at least keep a town's name in the news and something like a decent cup run could be worth an incalculable amount in publicity, not to mention visiting fans bringing revenue 23 or more weekends per year and maybe weekend stays, figure that across 5 or 6 years and the money spent might make perfect sense and at least no one can say they didn' t try.

Compare that with RMBC... an authority that seems to be hell-bent on doing as little as possible in support of any professional or semi-professional sporting activity in the Borough. Where were they when we were raising money to fend off the MH takeover attempt? .. Busy trying to get street parking stopped, and last saturday, busy preventing parking with bollards arround Edenfield Road for a cycling event on Sunday afternoon, they were even putting bollards in parking spaces!

A quick look at the Council budget projections for the next 3 years reveals a £5m to £6m a year increasing gap between income and expenditure, indicating the probability of more rates and tax increases and cutbacks in spending to prevent a £15m "gap" in 25/26. I can't see how antagonising a local business that promotes Rochdale for free helps any of this but I can see there isnt much spare cash. Still never mind, the Town Hall is nearly finished, just a pity you cant drive anywhere near it. Maybe thats where they got the idea about the streets around Spotland?

Crown Oil on 19:41 - Sep 12 with 3142 viewswatford_dale

I have no concerns with Saudi money, there will be no anti money laundering concerns with oil money as there would be with a Morton House or other clubs where they have gone for a dodgy owner.

From the Council website

Southend Council resolves:
• To reaffirm its support for SUFC.
• To recognise the importance of SUFC and the SUFC fan base as a key part
of the community of Southend-on-Sea.
• To reach out to other local authorities which have had experience in
cooperative working to help secure a future for their local football clubs, such
as Hartlepool and Frome, in order to learn from their experience.
• To provide whatever reasonable support possible to assist with the purchase
of the club by new owners, and to secure an ongoing future for Southend
United Football Club in our city.

I can't imagine that this would go through, there is no promise of financial support yet. They also have to make £11.5m in savings in 2023/24.

Crown Oil on 21:18 - Sep 13 with 2828 viewsJames1980

Not a necessarily a professional gambler but I reckon someone similar to Tony Bloom, who is a supporter of the club would be a good shout to buy the club. (If my punctuation is wrong I mean a Rochdale supporter and I'm not saying Bloom is a Dale supporter)

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Crown Oil on 09:10 - Sep 14 with 2606 viewsAtThePeake

I don't think that person exists unfortunately James. You'd imagine they'd have come forward by now if so.

Tangled up in blue.

Crown Oil on 09:57 - Sep 14 with 2558 viewsJames1980

You'll just have a hurry up and become a billionaire ATP

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Crown Oil on 11:06 - Sep 14 with 2469 viewsAtThePeake

This time next year Rodders... (not Devante)

Tangled up in blue.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024