Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Favourite away day & Why? 13:57 - Feb 7 with 6633 viewsPigbag

Due to the mixed preferences of being in the prem & championship regarding away days im interested to know what everyones favourite away day is and why? best pubs, stadiums etc.

Favourite away day & Why? on 14:09 - Feb 7 with 4815 viewsTonto

i used to enjoy going to the Dell:

quirky stadium with all those triangles

not to far to go

two evenly matched teams - usally a good game.

not the same now the identikit bowl of St mary's has replaced it.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Favourite away day & Why? on 14:13 - Feb 7 with 4795 viewsRangersw12

Always like Sheffield away days ,decent ground , cheapish journey and loads of pubs

Southampton we always take loads

Midlands games generally are good as easy to get to and the city of Birmingham is decent for a night out
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Favourite away day & Why? on 14:20 - Feb 7 with 4777 viewsKonk

Nottingham and Sheffield clubs for an easy journey to good cities for a day on the pop and cheapish trains. Like all four grounds too.

Brighton and York for weekenders. West Midland games for being far enough away to feel like a proper away game, but with cheap travel and back in town for seven if you need to be. Quite partial to Sunderland and Newcastle and not fussed about anywhere in the North West. Honourable mentions for Peterborough, and Oxford and Shrewsbury before they moved grounds.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Favourite away day & Why? on 14:22 - Feb 7 with 4765 viewsNorthernr

Pubs:
Dr Browns - Middlesbrough
Tut n Shive - Doncaster
The Navy - Plymouth
Mabel's Tavern - North London games and Watford
Coach and Horses - Norwich
Hooters - Forest
Honest Lawyer - Scunthorpe

Grounds:
Bramall Lane
Hillsborough
Portman Road
White Hart Lane
London Road - old style terrace, five minutes walk from the town centre pubs and station.
Goodison Park - as long as you're not at the back of the lower tier in which case it's like watching the game through your post box.
St James Park - until they started putting us 500 feet up in the air
Villa Park - although getting away on the train afterwards is a fcker
Gigg Lane - once did pre-match hospitality there and it was £30 for a three course meal - Indian or Sunday roast - a stand up comedian and a seat in the main stand!

Particularly hate:
Coventry — awful ground, always empty, no atmosphere, middle of nowhere, one dreadful pub that's 20 minutes walk away, nowhere near railway station.
Reading — ditto
Liverpool — long way from the city centre, shortage of decent pubs, absolutely zero atmosphere from the famous Kop.
Cardiff/Leicester/Derby/Middlesbrough/Southampton — have some fcking imagination, this is going to be your home for the next 100 years, make it unique and somewhere that feels like yours. Having a Frankie and Bennies nearby is a big minus point. Other than the ground though Boro has always been a cracking day out.
Millwall - £25 to be kept in a cage until half 11 at night and then told what tube you can and cannot get on at London Bridge. Fun times.
Blackburn — shthole, sht pubs.
Birmingham — shthole, sht people, miles to walk back to the city centre afterwards.
MK Dons — soulless, whole club constructed so Asda and Ikea could get planning permission resulting in a club surrounded by bypasses and super stores.
Stoke — dreadfully designed stadium, on a hill, miles from anywhere, usually nasty, locked in afterwards and allowed to go back to the station only when the buses finally turn up which is usually 45 minutes.
Port Vale — miles from a station, no decent pubs, in the shtest part of Stoke.
Luton — clearly
Wycombe — miles from station, miles from pubs

And of course Old Trafford - which is my own personal hell on earth.

Favourite away day & Why? on 14:26 - Feb 7 with 4745 viewsJuzzie

Looking objectivley, what would your view on Loftus Road be?

Favourite away day & Why? on 14:26 - Feb 7 with 4744 viewsloftboy

Maine rd, best pies in the world ATAF

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Favourite away day & Why? on 14:28 - Feb 7 with 4740 viewsKonk

Agree with all your sh it aways other than Birmingham. The Anchor in Digbeth has to be one of the best football pubs in the universe. Busy without being silly, friendly locals, brilliant range of ale/continental beers, cheese/ham rolls wrapped in clingfilm behind the bar...er, football focus on in the snug. Brilliant pub which has completely changed my view of going to St Andrews.

Favourite away day & Why? on 14:31 - Feb 7 with 4724 viewsRangersw12

For the price of tickets and the views etc I would say pretty poor

For pubs I would say its a decent away day and pretty much hassle free if people are respectful

Favourite away day & Why? on 14:32 - Feb 7 with 4721 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

Sheffield for me too as go for the weekend, cracking night out as is Carrow Road but I've rarely seen a decent game there, but handy from the station and city and the Premier Inn across from the station is a good base.

Favourite away day & Why? on 14:34 - Feb 7 with 4715 viewsKonk

An atmospheric, shantytownesque, cramped shoebox with some seriously shi t views and the potential to seriously fu ck your legs up if you're over 5'3" or jump up to celebrate a goal. Ignoring all that, a "proper ground". Excellent for transport, when we were home fans it was good for pubs (but used to be better) although we tend to drink in Hammersmith and then walk up as away fans.

Favourite away day & Why? on 14:35 - Feb 7 with 4710 viewsHunterhoop

Good:

Sheffield (both) - good pubs, lots of them, easy and cheap on train, good old fashioned grounds (Bramall Lane is better IMO)

Peterborough - cracking pubs (Dutch barge and The Brewers Inn) along will nice little ground, although shame the Terrace in the away end has become seats!

Doncaster - cheap, funny (it subscribes to all norther stereotypes) - The Leopard has been a decent pub on a few occassions

Cardiff - really like it...went up Friday lunctime in our promotion season ahead of Sat game. Great pubs, lovely place (we spent most of our time near Sophia Gardens, which is admittedly the nice part!), superb stewards and ground management who let in my mate even though he'd lost his ticket on the walk to the ground. The stewards then let us stand all game.

Norwich - Cheap trains, ground near station and pubs...The Murderers Arms in the town centre was ace last time. But we never win anymore.

Scunthorpe was fun, as has been Barnsley in peculiar ways.

Bad:

Coventry, Hull and Blackburn are amongst the worst. Miserable places. Hull is nasty. Blackburn grim. Coventry soulless.

Best pies: Preston, still.

Favourite away day & Why? on 14:38 - Feb 7 with 4703 viewsKonk

Burnley warrants a mention for shi t unwelcoming cu nt of a day out (and Fulham always lose there, no matter how shi t Burnley are and how good a side we have).

Favourite away day & Why? on 14:39 - Feb 7 with 4695 viewsRangersw12

The 3 B's Bolton , Burnley & Blackburn boring shit holes , no decent pubs and a pain to get to

Favourite away day & Why? on 14:42 - Feb 7 with 4684 viewsSuffolkHoop

1. Forest - live there so I'm biased, but its up there with Shepherds Bush when it comes to nearby pubs and in an unrivalled setting for a football stadium. If Notts County go up this season (unlikely) I'll very much look forward to a first QPR trip to Meadow Lane.

2. = Ipswich - brought up in Suffolk
= Norwich - see above. Aside from this they're both good away days in their own right and are located in exactly the part of the town where the football stadium should be.

Other notable mentions:

Palace
Watford
Sheff Utd

Bad

Stoke - horrible place, cold, nasty, dirty, inconvenient, full of idiots without exception.
Wigan - north-west sh1thole of a place
Burnley - most depressing place on earth

Other bad ones

Leeds
Wolves
Bolton
Blackburn
Burnley

Favourite away day & Why? on 14:45 - Feb 7 with 4667 viewsKonk

I hate Palace away. Just something so fu cking bland about that place. The ground's neither old nor modern, doesn't have anything special or quirky about it, it's just...Selhurst. The area's just boring suburbia and the pubs are rank average. I have no feelings one way or other about the club, but I suspect the Palace ultra divs would cause me no end of trouble these days. We could win the league down there and I'd be feeling flat by the time I got back to Thornton Heath.

Favourite away day & Why? on 14:48 - Feb 7 with 4661 viewsJuzzie

I think Loftus Road is probably the best located ground in London in terms of public transport and main roads (i.e. A40). The ground itself suffers from the quandry of being cramped but that then gives it the atmosphere everyone likes.

Favourite away day & Why? on 14:55 - Feb 7 with 4641 viewsstowmarketrange

I did enjoy the trips to Sunderland and Newcastle this year,especially the pre-match drink in Sam Jacks.Also enjoyed Arsenal more than Spurs because I could stand up at the Emirates,but had to sit at White Hart Lane.
Absolutely hate going to carrot road even if it is closer to me than most others.Also West Ham was a dive apart from the atmosphere.
Some of the smaller ones in the lower leagues are quite nice too,although I draw the line at Exeter and Aldershot.

Favourite away day & Why? on 14:59 - Feb 7 with 4625 viewsngbqpr

With you there Konkster

Palace in my 5 WORST away days (tho in my case I positively loathe everything about the club bar Olly)

Suffolk Hoop (Notts hoop?) - Selhurst Park, what's to like?

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Favourite away day & Why? on 15:07 - Feb 7 with 4609 viewsloftboy

Honourable mentions to plough lane and the manor ground, both shitholes but decent pubs right next door and great days had at both ( not to mention hangovers)

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Favourite away day & Why? on 15:28 - Feb 7 with 4571 viewsDWQPR

Fav away grounds are:

Brammell Lane
Goodison Park

Best pub, without doubt, the Vine at West Brom.

Worst Grounds

Old Trafford
Palarse
Any of the identikit rubbish plus Newcastle and Sunderland for placing us in seating that offers a better view of the far side of the moon that the football.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Favourite away day & Why? on 15:38 - Feb 7 with 4545 viewsjohnswiltsqpr

Swindon as i live near by

Ninian park I liked for the terracing but hated for the battery throwing mongs to my right.

Enjoyed a bank holiday in Sheffield for the 3-3 with Barnsley a few years back, I think Furlong got the equalizer if my memory is working.

Enjoy Plymouth away as have family in Devon and we used to do a weekend there - also enjoyed the Navy pub - although me and my old man did spend some time early doors in a very strange pub in the town centre - probably the weirdest pub/atmosphere/people encountered.

Always enjoyed Bristol City away - they hate us and I find that funny and also close to me with some decent pubs.

Worst for me has to be Crew what a hole of a place with little existance

Favourite away day & Why? on 15:40 - Feb 7 with 4542 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I like Wycombe.

Plymouth is fun too but I'm never going there again, too bloody far.

Ninian Park 2-1 Langley and Monty's Pass winning the national was a good one.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Favourite away day & Why? on 15:42 - Feb 7 with 4533 viewsSuffolkHoop

Maybe my Palace memories are rose tinted. Lost of beer, win 2-1 and "we're Queens Park Rangers, We're top of the league". Also we drew there 0-0 recently, not a bad day out either. Always felt like the Rs end is in good spirits at Selhurst.

Favourite away day & Why? on 15:53 - Feb 7 with 4506 viewsRBlock

Ah but if you talk of rose tinted glasses i struggle to see past the Etihad, after City away, last day of the season. Sun was shining, everyone up there, great craic in the Lass O'gowrie, result went the right way for both teams, atmosphere was something else, just had a buzz to it!

Favourite away day & Why? on 16:05 - Feb 7 with 4485 viewsW7Ranger

Roots Hall, Easter Week-end in 97 was a good day out! We won which helped!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024