Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
the anti harry brigade 11:13 - Aug 18 with 8820 viewswittle

early days but 7 points from 9 ,a comfortable cup win ,team spirit building nicely,big earners out the door, more players to come,
come on we know your out there.

the anti harry brigade on 11:19 - Aug 18 with 4707 viewsRangersw12

A great start to the season but I think the major tests are still to come starting with the next couple of away games

We're crying out for some creativity and we will draw a lot of games this season unless that is sorted out

I just hope we don't get players like Parker and Crouch and go for some younger players with a resale value Rhodes , Townsend , Phillips etc

the anti harry brigade on 11:21 - Aug 18 with 4699 viewsWatfordR

Coaching, style of play, team spirit all down to Shteeve and Harry's dodgy knee keeping him well out of the way.

the anti harry brigade on 11:22 - Aug 18 with 4688 viewswittle

yep next 2 away are tough but so far so good and some new faces to boost the squad to come.

the anti harry brigade on 11:24 - Aug 18 with 4680 viewswittle

ha ha thought i would drag you out of the woodwork.

the anti harry brigade on 11:24 - Aug 18 with 4672 viewsRangersw12

Depends who the new faces are

the anti harry brigade on 11:29 - Aug 18 with 4651 viewsNW5Hoop

Yes, a good start. But I'm still worried that we're going to do the same as in the past two seasons and concentrate on buying older players on big wages, with no thought to the long-term future. Let's wait awhile before we decide either way. Three games is a bit early.

the anti harry brigade on 11:32 - Aug 18 with 4639 viewsdaveB

So if we'd lost yesterday you'd be blaming Mclaren rather than Redknapp then?

the anti harry brigade on 11:33 - Aug 18 with 4633 viewswittle

which is why i said early days but if the players are on 1 year deals like dunne and o neill who was excellent yesterday i dont see a problem.

the anti harry brigade on 11:33 - Aug 18 with 4626 viewsJonDoeman

So it was a good decision by Harry bringing him in then?
Not many would've been big enough and confident enough to do it.
Chin up Watford , 2 difficult away games coming up, we're bound to lose one of them!

It Is What It Is !!

the anti harry brigade on 11:35 - Aug 18 with 4617 viewsJonDoeman

It Is What It Is !!

the anti harry brigade on 11:40 - Aug 18 with 4605 viewsNW5Hoop

The problem is, if we do go up, and half our squad is old fellas on one-year deals, what do we do then? Come straight back down and do the same all over again? I'd rather see us spend three years in the Championship building a team, than one year with a hastily assembled squad that isn't built to last. But who knows at this stage …

the anti harry brigade on 11:42 - Aug 18 with 4593 viewswittle

sounds good in theory but you ask fans if they want 3 years in this division or an instant return to the premier league, plus would the board give a manager 3 years these days.

the anti harry brigade on 11:44 - Aug 18 with 4585 viewsSomersetHoops

Lets make a big assumption that we get promoted this season. If that happens, once again we will have a team of older players incapable of further development to bring us to the level required to compete in the Premiership rather than an improving young team with potential. The result of this will be repeating the cycle of a new team every season with no history or commitment to the club, loads of money being spent in every transfer window and failure.

Harry, at his age, will be unlikely to look at the long view, but is keen to extinguish the relegation on his record by a quick return. I would rather we had taken the longer view and taken two seasons to properly develop into a team that would be ready once promoted. We are already on the quick fix track, so hopefully it will succeed this time, although I'm not optimistic that it will in the long term.

Who's Next?

the anti harry brigade on 11:48 - Aug 18 with 4567 viewsNW5Hoop

Well, if you put it that baldly - would you rather have one season or three seasons in the Championship - then of course the answer will be one. But when you add in the "while building for the long term", you get plenty of fans who'd take the three seasons, as many threads here have shown. And then given TF - I refuse to call him "Uncle Tony"; he's a businessman, not someone who gives us cuddles - keeps telling us it's about building for the long term, not immediate promotion, then why is my suggestion an unrealistic one?

the anti harry brigade on 11:49 - Aug 18 with 4561 viewsdaveB

We haven't got 3 years to build a squad, if we don't go up this year we need to fit in with financial fair play and then we have no hope of going up imo.

Of the current squad I think most would be able to play in the prem, this current team wouldn't be relegated imo and we'll add more in the next few weeks. Players look after themselves well nowadays so I don't think 30 years old is a cut off anymore, we had Furlong playing superb for us until he was almost 40. If they are good enough like a Parker or O'Neil I don't think age is a major issue it's more about attitude for me. If they see us as a step down like Park, Bosingwa and co did thats a bigger problem than how old they are

the anti harry brigade on 11:50 - Aug 18 with 4558 viewsAntti_Heinola

My anti-Harryness goes beyond results on the pitch. I'd never dispute that he's a decent manager. We've been good so far without being spectacular, and I'm very pleased with results. But even if he takes us up, he's still the wrong man in my opinion. I don't trust him, his signings smack of short-termism instead of providing a firmer long term base that Swansea, Norwich and even West Ham have concentrated on. Fundamentally, he's the wrong man - this club needs someone with a real long term vision who is in it for the long haul - a young Moyes, or even a Holloway or, much as I dislike him, a Rodgers. Because whatever happens, next summer we are once again going to be buying a mostly new team. Again.

Bare bones.

the anti harry brigade on 11:51 - Aug 18 with 4555 viewsWatfordR

Actually the majority of our problems last season stemmed from not a lack of, but a total absence of team spirit. We had the squad to have been midtable comnfortably. Harry couldn't sort it, and if you remember our first two pre season games against Exeter and Pboro, just after McLaren arrived, were abysmal.

i don't believe it's a coincidence that more Shteeve and less Harry has seen a better team spirit. Of course, it isnt McLaren that's targetting Prem league player additions that are wasting time and resources, which is why we are still short in a number of key positions.

the anti harry brigade on 11:53 - Aug 18 with 4547 viewsNW5Hoop

But many of our problems with financial fair play are down to taking on old players on big contracts …

the anti harry brigade on 11:55 - Aug 18 with 4541 viewsWatfordR

100% agree. Hughes was the right idea, just turned out to be the wrong choice.

Though, we do have a few younger players out on loan that could be brought back into the fold if we make it to the Prem next season.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2013 11:57]

the anti harry brigade on 11:56 - Aug 18 with 4536 viewsjonno

Blimey, it's a bit early to be talking about going up! But were it to happen then it's an entirely different scenario than last time. We wouldn't be panic buying the remaining dregs as Warnock had to do. TF would fund some decent aquisitions and any half decent manager should be able to fashion a competitive side with TF's backing. If HR went (and he probably wouldn't) we would be able to attract a fairly good manager - unlike the idiot Hughes we got lumbered with last time.

the anti harry brigade on 11:58 - Aug 18 with 4526 viewswittle

cant help yourself can you ? you will be the first 1 on here when we lose our first game but it will have nothing to do with steve of course.

the anti harry brigade on 12:02 - Aug 18 with 4516 viewsJonDoeman

Not taking into account the squad changes Harry has made then?
Wrong'uns out, (and another of his throw away lines that has been endlessly regurgitated by mugs) 'right sorts' in.
But you give all the credit to 'Schteeve' ,and keep making a prat out of yourself if you want.

It Is What It Is !!

the anti harry brigade on 12:02 - Aug 18 with 4512 viewsdaveB

I think it's more the players than the manager or coach that have helped get a team spirit plus winning a few games, proper experienced good pros like O'neil and Dunne have come in, players with things to prove who see us a good career move rather than a pay day will also have helped, to say it's all Mclaren is a bit simplistic in my view

the anti harry brigade on 12:04 - Aug 18 with 4498 viewsJonDoeman

Prattish in my view, shame used to be a good poster.

It Is What It Is !!

the anti harry brigade on 12:04 - Aug 18 with 4498 viewsWatfordR

Are you capable of putting across a thought out response to any of my points?

Give it a go.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024