Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
a decent performance that deserved better 21:34 - Jan 4 with 871 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

I didn't have any great expectations today (not least because I wasn't sure what sort of side we would play), but all in all I felt the players did us pretty proud.

There was very little incisive attacking football, and apart from the last ten minutes I never felt that we were going to sneak it. What there was was good organisation, an abundance of discipline and spirit and a fair bit of composure when it was needed.

It wouldn't do to go overboard because Villa are one of the poorest PL sides I've seen in a good while, and though they'll probably be OK this season you sense relegation is only a matter of time for them. The only outfield player of any real quality they had was Benteke, and although he was pretty quiet most of the time he came up with a high class finish to win it. It was hard on us because we deserved a replay.

It's hard to pick a man of the match as they all did well, but Waddington and O'Hara both caught the eye, and the whole of the back five did well to keep the home side at range for pretty much the entire afternoon. Another performance like that next week, with a bit more cutting edge and ambition, would do nicely.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

a decent performance that deserved better on 21:51 - Jan 4 with 856 viewsPlumbs

Sounds similar to our trip to Sunderland where we hit the post in the final minute,but the FA Cup is a welcome interruption to those of us who go to all of them-eh Basil?
Fortunately you've still got the league game with Watford* on the 24th as they lost to Chelsea,while we've another one to reschedule.

Was the Wellie ok?

Edit:*it's a town in NW London
[Post edited 4 Jan 2015 21:52]

Real fans go to pubs like the HITW or the Welly

a decent performance that deserved better on 23:13 - Jan 4 with 783 viewsCurryman

Best performance of the day was Robbie buying me a pint. It was a bit like trying to extract a tooth from a crocodile, and I don't think I could have seen a more pained expression on a vegetarian in a meat factory as Robbie's when he approached the bar.

Good health sir,

Love Blackpool, not the O's
Poll: Whi is responsiblke for our current mess?
Blog: Trust

a decent performance that deserved better on 23:13 - Jan 4 with 783 viewscamberwell1

Well it's the same old story - we don't score and hand the game to the oppo's late on - all fairly familiar

I thought Jaimie O'Hara was good v R/ham and hope he stays (he won't bwecause he's good !)

A recommendation for a quirky meeting venue in London for the future - The Southwark Brewing Co, (Railway) Arch 46, Druid St, SE1 (near Tower Bridge). Really good place - only open on a Saturday 11:30 until 6pm - cracking place run by footie fans

a decent performance that deserved better on 12:25 - Jan 5 with 694 viewsWizaard

I thou fensively, that's as well as we've played in a long time. Clarke made a number of great tackles, while we kept them fairly quiet the whole game.

But for a the final ball, we could and should have scored on the counter attack, with good positions let down by the final ball. All in all, a good performance, that begs the question as to why we can't do it for 90 minutes in League games.

I wouldn't have thought that Villa was that big a draw in the minds of the players that they raised their game that significantly, but if only we can defend thatr solidly and take our chances then we might, just might, have a chance of escaping.

The next two home games are absolutely critical to that. Oh for six points from those games.

Just to add that the pre-match pub, as always, was great with BASIL and Yorkshire Seasiders both out in numbers. A good day spoilt by a late goal, but not that much

a decent performance that deserved better on 19:49 - Jan 5 with 626 viewsHarryHorse

A fairly dire game in my view between two poor sides but more than one person who goes far more regularly said it was the best we'd been for a while and I won't argue with that , things must have been very, very turgid indeed in previous games.

To me it was the antithesis of Leicester away on our return to the Championship , almost a last hurrah and very sad. "Blackpool are going back" would have been an apposite chant .

It may be sometime before we see round 3 again and I like Villa Park, still has the feel of a proper football ground. "You can stick your $$^&ing replay up your ar$e" demonstrated a nice line in black humour as well. Socially fun as always and good to catch up with people but it should never , ever have come to this

a decent performance that deserved better on 20:51 - Jan 5 with 597 viewsspooner

Agree with Horse
I was "congratulated" by a Villa fan at work today, who indicated we could "hold our heads up", as though we put in a sterling performance.
In truth, we were as poor as them; neither side was a credit to the top tiers of the Football League and God knows how either Club can walk away from this fixture with its head held high.
I think BRB synopsis was about right, but can't agree that we deserved better. "You get what you deserve" is an old adage which continues to ring true and the fact that we were susceptible to yet another late winner, this time from the lowest-scoring professional team in English football, sums up our pitiful, yet justified, state.
I hope those who have engineered this position are satisfied and I have little resilience left.
I didn't expect anything yesterday, but the manner in which our Chair shows no inclination to bolster a squad, the quality of which diminishes by the day, leaves me feeling insulted, let down and, whilst always proud to be a Blackpool supporter, almost bereft of hope.
Happy New Year sir.
I hope you're happy
[Post edited 5 Jan 2015 20:53]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024