Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tony Grant 12:14 - Apr 23 with 104 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Terry McPhillips has appeared to confirm his number two Tony Grant will leave Blackpool at the end of the season.

Grant, who only joined the club last month following the surprise departure of Gary Brabin, has been linked with a move to Australia.

According to reports, he is due to link up with Robbie Fowler who has taken over the manager's job at Brisbane Roar.

Grant was only brought in as a short-term replacement until the end of the season and McPhillips was aware he had another job lined up in the summer.

“When I asked Tony to come I had worked with him before so I knew exactly what he was going to bring," McPhillips said.

“He’s been a great work colleague before and there’s a chance of him going somewhere else, which we knew before he came so he signed a short-term contract with us.

“If it happens then we wish him good luck and we thank him for all his hard work and the contribution he has made to Blackpool.”

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/terry-mcphillips-on-the-future

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

Tony Grant on 12:19 - Apr 23 with 101 viewsspell_chekker

As expected. Hired on a short term contract as a stop gap after the Brabin thing (Whatever happened there?)

The team's been on quite a miserable run of form since his appointment.

Don't forget to close the door on your way out Tony.

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.
Poll: Would you like Wellens as Manager?

Tony Grant on 15:28 - Apr 25 with 84 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Blackpool assistant Tony Grant has confirmed he will depart the club to link up with Robbie Fowler at Australian side Brisbane Roar this summer.

Grant, who only joined the club last month following the surprise departure of Gary Brabin, will become assistant to Fowler, who was recently confirmed as Brisbane Roar's new boss.

Blackpool only brought in Grant on a short-term basis and Terry McPhillips was aware he had another job lined up in the summer before he took on the role.

“Me and Robbie have been friends since I was 10 and we’ve always spoken about football," Grant said.

“We’re both advocates of playing football a certain way and we’ve got very similar ideas of how a whole club should run.

“We’ve got lots of ideas and in the last couple of years Robbie has done all of his coaching badges and an opportunity arose and it’s an opportunity that is very hard to turn down.

“We think we can do a very good job and we’re looking forward to it.

“I will finish the season with Blackpool and Terry knew the situation before I came in, but I was available at the time.

“It’s worked well here and I was respectful to Blackpool and they’ve been respectful to me.

“At the end of the season I will stay here and do whatever needs to be done but I will be looking to go to Brisbane the middle or end of June.

“In England it’s hard for doors to open but me and Robbie have got bags of experience.

“Brisbane haven’t had a good year so there’s lots of rebuilding to be done and it’s going to be a tough job, recruitment especially is going to be key.

“We want to give it a shot now and hopefully Brisbane can prosper from that.

“He’s got a lot to offer. He’s played in all of the biggest games but he’s also a humble guy, so the players are going to like him.

“He listens and he won’t tell players what to do, he’ll offer some advice, so I think the players will respect him and will play hard for him.”

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-assistant-tony-grant

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

Tony Grant on 06:27 - Apr 26 with 73 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Blackpool assistant boss Tony Grant believes the Seasiders would be inside League One’s top six if it wasn’t for the Bloomfield Road pitch.

Grant, who has confirmed he is to depart the club this summer to link up with Robbie Fowler at Brisbane Roar in Australia, says Pool are better than their current position suggests.

The Seasiders head into their penultimate game of the season at Barnsley on Saturday in ninth place and seven points adrift of the play-offs.

Grant said: “Honestly I feel the away form has been very good. We went to Luton and I thought we deserved the point (from a 2-2 draw three weeks ago).

“We went to Scunthorpe last week and we battered them, so away from home we’ve been fine.

“The home form, well... I’ve played at every level and I was a footballer, so I know you cannot play football on that pitch.

“When you sit in the stands you don’t realise how bad the pitch is — it’s an away team’s pitch.

“Most away teams set up behind the ball and they’re hoping we play football, which we’re trying to do but it causes us so much trouble it’s so easy to play against.

“Against Fleetwood we changed it a little bit and we did try to turn the opposition because it’s a derby game and we didn’t want to give them an easy opportunity. In the end we’ve got our winning goal by turning the opposition and the fans are all happy.”

Grant believes that if the pitch is rectified during the off-season, as is planned by the interim board, there’s no reason why Blackpool can’t push for a play-off finish next term.

He added: “The pitch needs a serious look at for next season because there’s a football team in there who want to play football.

“If we can take the away form and put it here, I think it’s a minimum top-six team.

“I’m not easily blaming the pitch because I’ve played on a lot of bad pitches, but that pitch is set up for an away team, especially at the end of the season when it gets a bit crusty and hard.

“You see the green on TV and from the stand, but the reality as a footballer is that it bobbles.

“You could say we’re just looking for something to blame but the pitch needs to be blamed and rectified, simple as.

“I don’t know what they’ve done with it but it’s 10 times worse than the pitches I played on. I don’t want to make excuses but it just doesn’t sit right.

“At Scunthorpe we didn’t even need a team talk. I said to Terry, ‘Our lads will enjoy this’ because the pitch was lovely, the water was out and it was a footballer’s pitch.

“We had plenty of opportunities but we played really well. It would just be nice to have Scunthorpe’s pitch here at Bloomfield Road.”

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/blackpool-pitch-m

Tony Grant on 12:09 - Apr 27 with 62 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Tony Grant believes there’s no limit to what Blackpool can achieve next season — as long as manager Terry McPhillips gets the right backing.

The Seasiders maintained a play-off challenge for much of this season’s campaign only to drift away from the top six in recent weeks.

Grant, who has confirmed he is set to leave his role as assistant manager during the summer to link up with Robbie Fowler at Brisbane Roar, expects Pool to go one better next term.

“It will be nice for Terry to get a full pre-season under his belt,” Grant said.

“Some of the loan players will go back to their clubs which will give opportunities for the new Nya Kirbys and the new Ben Heneghans to come out.

“Terry will also get the chance to find new players and he’s quite clever in the market.

“If they can get some players in early, get a good pre-season under their belt then let’s have it right, there’s some positivity around the club anyway in the last month or so, so things are going in the right direction.

“If they back the management, get some money spent on the pitch and the training ground, there’s a great chance they could be at least a top-six side next year.

“I thought the fans really enjoyed the game on Monday, there’s no better feeling than winning a derby at home.

“The manner in which we won it as well, in stoppage time, it’s perfect really.

“The fans have come back and I hope next season they will come in their droves to support the club.

“I think it’s easily achievable they will be a top-six side next year, so it’s an exciting time for the club.”

The Seasiders will lose a number of loan players once the season finishes, with Joe Dodoo, Antony Evans, Ben Heneghan and Nya Kirby all set to return to their parent clubs.

Grant has been impressed with their contribution and hasn’t ruled out one or two of them returning next season.

“I’ve known Ben for a long time so I knew what he could produce,” he said. “I never knew Nya, but he’s really impressed me. I’m a big fan of his.

“If he continues working hard I’m hoping he can be a Premier League footballer because he’s got the potential to be one.

“I’ve known Antony Evans for a long time and I know what he brings to the table and he’s impressed.

“These are all young lads who have bright futures and you never know, they might come back next year because they’ve enjoyed it.”

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/tony-grant-believ

He's been a busy boy with the interviews this week.

Tony Grant on 13:24 - Apr 27 with 59 viewsspell_chekker

There are plenty of plaudits for TM in those articles.

The question for new owners is stick or twist?

It's quite possible that TM could produce a top 6 team with a better pitch, training ground, and efficient player recruitment.

Who can be sure? Not me, and I change between keeping him or finding a new man.

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.
Poll: Would you like Wellens as Manager?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024