Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Memorable Tackles 09:22 - Feb 19 with 653 viewsspell_chekker

There's no video evidence, and as time goes on my memory's geeting sketchy, of the Gray Briggs 'clothes line' tackle - against Chesterfield at the south paddock end (someone plese remind me)

So I'll post a classic - Moore tackling Jairzinho Mexico 1970

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.
Poll: Would you like Wellens as Manager?

Memorable Tackles on 09:39 - Feb 19 with 650 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

The one I remember from Briggs, was a home match, can't recall who it was against now, but the ball was in the opposition's box, (for some reason I looked across to the centre circle) and he just dropped their forward flat out on the halfway line while no one was looking. Do that today and he'd probably end up doing time.

Still a favourite of mine though.

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

Memorable Tackles on 09:43 - Feb 19 with 648 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Never a red card....

And just pick your best tackle out of this match....

[Post edited 19 Feb 2019 9:53]

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

Memorable Tackles on 12:46 - Feb 19 with 635 viewsokeh_for_some

I struggle to recall particular tackles, but some of the finest exponents were Bill Bentley, Gary Brabin and Andy Morrison in addition to the much lauded Gary Briggs.

Memorable Tackles on 19:39 - Feb 19 with 621 viewsspell_chekker

We covered the Tony Cunningham / Alan Kelly one a couple of weeks ago. That wasn't really a tackle though, it was a roll reversal of this -

Battiston - Schumacher when Platini's France could have won the world cup

[Post edited 11 Sep 2019 14:08]

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.

Memorable Tackles (n/t) on 20:03 - Sep 8 with 605 viewsspell_chekker

Memorable Tackles (n/t) on 20:03 - Sep 8 with 603 viewsspell_chekker

Memorable Tackles (n/t) on 20:40 - Sep 8 with 596 viewsvoyeur

The two tackles I remember as being the most dramatic were by the same player on the same player in the same game! Stan McEwan on Steve Kindon who was playing for Wolves, late 70s. Both straight reds but the first one somehow got a yellow. Nearly killed him with the second one, and just marched straight down the pitch to the tunnel at the south end. Anybody who was there will remember it, Kindon was big and fast but McEwan did not take prisoners. Totally cleaned him out. It was a gob smacking moment.
[Post edited 8 Sep 2019 20:44]

I am a nutter. I come from the sea.

Memorable Tackles (n/t) on 21:36 - Sep 8 with 580 viewsspell_chekker

I remember Kindon as a strong running forward for Burnley.

He must have been at the end of his career in the late 70s.

I'll refer back to Red's earlier post about Briggs, possibly the 'clothes line' or 'straight arm' tackle that I remember.

Memorable Tackles on 01:42 - Sep 11 with 561 views3goalsfred

Spell chekker

Interesting post. One tackle I remember with absolute clarity was in a Pool v Chelsea match in the late '60''s. it had a seriously bad result.
I was stood with my late Dad on the right side of the kop and it happened in front of the scratching shed on the other side. Peter Osgood had the ball and was tackled by a young Emlyn Hughes breaking Osgood''s leg. Emlyn was always a hard tackler but no body believed that was his intent. Many people said they heard the break. It was tragedy for Osgood because he was a stylish classy player and a Chelsea icon.
Sickening to see it also.

Fred
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024