Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rotherham Post Match 20:26 - Oct 12 with 197 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

Rotherham Post Match on 20:29 - Oct 12 with 196 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

Rotherham Post Match on 20:31 - Oct 12 with 192 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Blackpool’s 22-year winless run against Rotherham United continued as they found themselves on the wrong end of a smash-and-grab defeat.

Their failure to deal with two second-half set pieces proved to be the Seasiders’ undoing as they lost for the first time in five outings.

Pool were the better side for much of the game but they were left to rue their wastefulness in front of goal, four or five presentable chances going to waste.

They did eventually get a goal back, although it came with the last action of the game as Armand Gnanduillet converted a 98th-minute penalty.

The Seasiders, who slip down to sixth in the League One table, have now lost six of their last nine encounters with the Millers, their last win coming in 1997.

Given Blackpool’s current list of absentees, it was no real surprise to see Simon Grayson named an unchanged side from Monday’s goalless draw at Bolton Wanderers.

But the good news was that Nathan Delfouneso was fit enough to make his return to feature on the subs bench.

The forward hadn’t featured for the Seasiders since picking up a second hamstring injury of the season in the 3-2 defeat at Coventry City, missing five games in the process.

Both Rocky Bushiri and Jordan Thompson were unavailable having been called up for international duty, while Sullay Kaikai and Joe Nuttall remain sidelined with injuries.

The Seasiders saw an early opportunity go to waste, James Husband and Sean Scannell combining well down the left with the former’s pullback missing everyone in the middle.

While it was the Millers who saw more of the ball in the opening stages, the first chance of the game came the way of Blackpool.

Callum Guy threaded through a ball to Matty Virtue down the middle and the midfielder forced an unorthodox save out of Rotherham keeper Dan Iversen, who topped the ball wide for a corner.

At the other end, Ollie Turton threw his body on the line to block Matt Crooks’ drilled effort from the edge of the area.

The Seasiders came within a whisker of taking the lead after 21 minutes with two huge chances in quick succession.

The first came the way Sean Scannell, who blasted a shot between the defender’s leg which was well saved by Iversen.

Pool worked the ball back into the danger zone where it fell to Virtue just eight yards out, but the midfielder could only hook the ball over the keeper and onto the crossbar.

Millers keeper Iversen continued to thwart the Seasiders, getting down at his near post on the half-hour mark to save Armand Gnanduillet’s downward header.

But it was Pool who continued to look the more likely to break the deadlock as they played with a far more attacking intent than they did during the drab draw at Bolton.

Rotherham’s one and only chance of the first half came in the 44th minute, centre back Michael Ihiekwe looping a header onto the top of the Pool crossbar.

It was a rare sighting of goal for the visitors who had been nullified as a threat all half until their late set piece.

Rotherham’s second chance of the game, which came six minutes into the second half, resulted in the opening goal of the game.

A dangerous set-piece was headed back across goal by former Seasider Clark Robertson, the ball eventually being bundled into the far corner of the net by tall striker Matt Smith.

It was a goal the away side barely deserved, but Pool almost levelled matters three minutes later as James Husband whistled a low shot just past the post.

Staring down the barrel of a third defeat of the season, Grayson opted to change things up just after the hour mark by introducing the returning Delfouneso in place of skipper Jay Spearing.

Pool continued to push, Liam Feeney seeing his dangerous ball across the face of goal cleared from inside the six-yard box by veteran defender Richard Wood.

With the pressure mounting, Virtue had a shot charged down eight yards from goal after the midfielder had been cleverly set up by Gnanduillet’s lay-off.

The Seasiders again failed to take advantage of their pressure and were left frustrated by a number of late stoppages.

But the game was put to bed for good with three minutes remaining, Robertson coming back to haunt his former club by lashing home after Pool had failed to deal with another set piece.

To Pool’s credit, they kept going in search of an unlikely route back into the game, Gnanduillet flicking the top of the crossbar with a header.

Gnanduillet did eventually get a goal back, although it was nothing more than a consolation as the striker converted a 98th-minute penalty.

TEAMS

Blackpool: Alnwick, Turton, Heneghan, Tilt, Husband (Macdonald), Spearing (Delfouneso), Guy, Virtue, Feeney, Scannell (Hardie), Gnanduillet

Subs not used: Mafoumbi, Edwards, Nottingham, Bange

Rotherham: Iversen, Mattock, Wood, Wiles, Barlaser, Lindsay, Crooks (Clarke), Ihiekwe, Olosunde (Jones), Hastie (Ogbene), Smith

Subs not used: Price, Macdonald, Lamy, Morris

Attendance: 9,932 (1,801 Rotherham(

Referee: Chris Pollard

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/blackpool-1-2-rot

Rotherham Post Match on 20:33 - Oct 12 with 190 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Paul Warne admitted his Rotherham United side weren't at their best against Blackpool despite the Millers coming away from Bloomfield Road with a 2-1 win.

Goals from Matt Smith and former Seasider Clark Robertson secured a smash-and-grab victory for the Millers.

Armand Gnanduillet scored a stoppage-time consolation goal for the Seasiders, who had dominated for large swathes of the game only to be thwarted by Rotherham keeper Dan Iversen on a number of occasions.

Warne admits his side could have played much better but was nevertheless delighted to secure a second straight win in League One.

“It’s good to win football matches which is great, and we will definitely play better than that," he said.

"We weren’t at our best but away from home, we are not here to entertain the crowds, we are here to get points and that’s what we did, so I’m really proud of them..

“Blackpool were causing us all sorts of problems in the first-half and I openly admit that. I’d have taken 0-0 at half-time because they were the better team.

“At half-time, I asked for more movement up front and try and get behind them, like they were doing to us in pulling our full-backs out of position.

"I didn’t think we won headers in the first half, neither upfront or defensively.

“If we win the headers and run a bit harder, you give yourself a chance and our second-half performance was a lot better.

"Overall, we defended really well. (Liam) Feeney caused us all sorts of problems with some decent balls and I think my ‘keeper deserved a clean sheet, so the penalty was a little unfortunate.

“Overall, we will play better but to come away from home and get three points then I’m happy.”

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/paul-warne-admits

Rotherham Post Match on 20:46 - Oct 12 with 188 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Rotherham Post Match on 10:22 - Oct 13 with 166 viewsspell_chekker

Match analysis from the Bloackpool Blog:

https://theblackpoolblog.wixsite.com/theblackpoolblog/post/blackpool-1-2-rotherh

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.
Poll: Would you like Wellens as Manager?

Rotherham Post Match on 10:24 - Oct 13 with 165 viewsspell_chekker

Photo gallery:

https://camerasport.photoshelter.com/gallery/191012-Blackpool-v-Rotherham-United

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.

Rotherham Post Match on 10:26 - Oct 13 with 164 viewsspell_chekker

Rotherham Post Match on 10:27 - Oct 13 with 163 viewsspell_chekker

Rotherham Post Match on 10:27 - Oct 13 with 162 viewsspell_chekker

Rotherham Post Match on 10:28 - Oct 13 with 161 viewsspell_chekker

Rotherham Post Match on 10:29 - Oct 13 with 160 viewsspell_chekker

Rotherham Post Match on 10:29 - Oct 13 with 159 viewsspell_chekker

Rotherham Post Match on 10:30 - Oct 13 with 158 viewsspell_chekker

Rotherham Post Match on 10:30 - Oct 13 with 157 viewsspell_chekker

Rotherham Post Match on 10:14 - Oct 14 with 149 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Old saying "they've got a face only a mother could love" That's how you could describe the way Rotherham play, only their fans could enjoy that.

They came, did a job on us and went home with all 3 points.

They're a tall team, which makes the fact they must have had a player go down clutching his head every 90 seconds all the more stranger. Ref has to stop play every time, can take the risk.

Knew Larry would start with the same team as against Bolton, still sat too deep for me, leaving just Nug Nugs up on his own.

Also can we stop bringing everybody back when we concede a corner, driving me nuts.

Really need to win our next home match now, our home record this year, for whatever reason(s) is poor.

Rotherham Post Match on 16:49 - Oct 14 with 146 viewsspell_chekker

Rotherham Post Match on 07:03 - Oct 15 with 141 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

“It was almost like it was meant to be.”

That’s how former Seasider Clark Robertson described his late goal for Rotherham United on his return to Bloomfield Road on Saturday.

The defender wasn’t even meant to start for the Millers yet received a late call-up after first-choice left back Joe Mattock suffered an injury during the warm-up.

But Robertson, who joined Rotherham on a free transfer last year after making almost 100 appearances during his time at Blackpool, had the last laugh with his late strike.

The Scot struck a sweet half-volley into the far corner to double Rotherham’s lead, the game eventually ending 2-1 after Armand Gnanduillet’s late consolation.

“I wasn’t meant to be playing,” Robertson said afterwards.

“I was kicking the ball about in the warm-up as if I wasn’t starting but then I walked down the tunnel and the gaffer said Joe Mattock wasn’t fit, so he told me to get myself ready.

“I was thrown in and it was almost as if it was meant to be, coming here and scoring the winner.

“I’m just delighted coming back here. I’ve not played in front of a crowd like this here before as we only used to get a few thousand fans.

“It was good to play in front of a big crowd at Bloomfield Road.”

Robertson’s goal was ironically only the second he has ever scored at Bloomfield Road, three of his four for the club all coming away from home.

“It’s probably the best goal I’ve scored so far in my career,” the 26-year-old added.

“As soon as it sit up and I hit it sweetly I knew it was going in, which was a great feeling.”

Robertson had his hands full with in-form winger Liam Feeney in the first half, but the defender kept him quiet for the remainder of the game.

“You almost go out there and just play your own game,” he said.

“I was pretty relaxed about it as you don’t have much time to think about it, so I just went out there to play myself into the game and I thought I did well.

“We knew Liam Feeney was going to be a threat but I thought I limited him in terms of the amount of crosses he put in.

“I just tried to get as tight as I could and stop him from getting on the ball because if you stop him you’re halfway there to stopping what they do by putting balls into the box towards big Armand (Gnanduillet).

I thought I came back into the side and showed what I’m all about at left back, where I feel comfortable.

“I’m just delighted we got the win, which is two wins on the spin now.”

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/it-was-meant-to-b

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024