Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jordan Thorniley 10:49 - Jan 1 with 180 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Blackpool have confirmed the permanent signing of Sheffield Wednesday defender Jordan Thorniley for an undisclosed fee.

The Seasiders have wasted time no time in strengthening their ranks by bringing in the left-footed centre-back just hours after the January transfer window opened.

The 23-year-old, who won't be involved in today's trip to Rotherham United, has signed an initial two-and-a-half year deal with the club holding the option to extend by a further year.

The signing of a centre back wasn't a position the Seasiders were expected to strengthen in, which could leave doubts over the futures of Ben Heneghan and Curtis Tilt.

Heneghan's loan deal from Sheffield United expires later this month while Tilt is out of contract at the end of the season.

Chief executive Ben Mansford said: “Jordan has been one of our main targets for the winter window, so we are delighted to have this sorted at this early stage.

"Jordan comes having had a good upbringing at Everton and he has continued to develop after moving to Sheffield Wednesday.

"As well as being impressed with Jordan as a footballer, we were also impressed with his desire to come and play for Blackpool FC.

“It is crucial that we recruit players that want to be with us and commit to helping the club realise its ambitions over the forthcoming seasons.

"Jordan comes highly regarded by those that have worked with him and we are all looking forward to welcoming him to Bloomfield Road."

Thorniley moved to Hillsborough from Everton in 2016 and eventually broke into the first team on the back of an impressive loan spell with Accrington Stanley, where he made 17 appearances in the first half of their 2017/18 League Two promotion-winning season.

He ended the campaign by featuring 11 times for his parent side, and then made a further 22 appearances for the Owls last season.

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/blackpool-dip-str

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

Jordan Thorniley on 11:10 - Jan 1 with 173 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Blackpool Football Club has reached an agreement with Sheffield Wednesday to sign defender Jordan Thorniley for an undisclosed fee.

The 23-year-old has put pen-to-paper on an initial two-and-a-half year contract at Bloomfield Road, with the Club holding the option to extend it by a further year.

Another player with Championship experience, Thorniley moved to Sheffield Wednesday from Everton in 2016 and made his breakthrough into the first-team after impressing on loan at Accrington Stanley, where he made 17 appearances in the first half of Stanley’s 2017/18 promotion-winning season.

He ended the campaign by featuring 11 times for his parent side, and then made a further 22 appearances for Sheffield Wednesday last season.

Thorniley now departs having played a total of 35 games for the Owls, including two in the Carabao Cup this season.

Chief Executive Ben Mansford said:

“Jordan has been one of our main targets for the winter window, so we are delighted to have this sorted at this early stage. Jordan comes having had a good upbringing at Everton and he has continued to develop after moving to Sheffield Wednesday. As well as being impressed with Jordan as a footballer, we were also impressed with his desire to come and play for Blackpool FC.

“It is crucial that we recruit players that want to be with us and commit to helping the Club realise its ambitions over the forthcoming seasons. Jordan comes highly regarded by those that have worked with him and we are all looking forward to welcoming him to Bloomfield Road."

Jordan Thorniley added:

“I’m happy to get it over the line and sign for the Club. It’s an exciting time to come to Blackpool and the Club seems to be on the up.

“It was tough to leave Sheffield Wednesday, as they’ve been good to me having offered me a deal after being released from my first club, but when I learned of Blackpool’s interest, it was something I was really excited about and wanted to learn more.

“The aim for me is to repay the manager’s faith in me and produce when it matters on the pitch, and hopefully help the Club continue to grow.”

https://www.blackpoolfc.co.uk/news/2020/january/seasiders-agree-deal-for-thornil

Welcome Jordan.

Seems the days of the broken fax machine are well and truly behind us now.

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

Jordan Thorniley on 11:13 - Jan 1 with 168 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Jordan Thorniley on 11:37 - Jan 1 with 164 viewsspell_chekker

From what I've found out, this sounds very good indeed.

Welcome Jordan.

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.
Poll: Would you like Wellens as Manager?

Jordan Thorniley on 11:41 - Jan 1 with 162 viewsspell_chekker

As far as the undisclosed fee is concerned, the site TransferMarkt has his current value set at £315, 000.

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.

Jordan Thorniley on 11:45 - Jan 1 with 161 viewsspell_chekker

At 5 ft 11.5 ins, he's not the biggest central defender in the world.

Jordan Thorniley on 12:48 - Jan 1 with 158 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Jordan Thorniley on 13:53 - Jan 1 with 155 viewsLala

👍👍 Welcome Jordan.

when the monkey is high you do not stare you do not stare 🥴
Poll: Blackpool v Arsenal scoreline , just wanted to try out a poll 😏

Jordan Thorniley on 19:14 - Jan 1 with 146 viewsspell_chekker

Why Sheffield Wednesday decided to cash in on Jordan Thorniley

Owls boss Garry Monk has explained his thinking behind selling Jordan Thorniley to Blackpool.

The defender left the Hillsborough club on New Year's Day, joining the Seasiders for an undisclosed fee.

Thorniley was deemed surplus to requirements at Wednesday, having fallen behind Tom Lees, Dominic Iorfa, Julian Börner and David Bates in the pecking order for a centre-half spot. He only played once under Monk in their cup defeat to Everton last September.

Speaking after the Owls' dismal loss to Hull City, Monk told The Star: "In terms of that area, we have a lot competition and numbers.

"I think it (the deal) was good for both parties.

"Jordan has been fantastic. He has been a real pleasure to work with but he is at the stage where he needs to go and play regular first-team football. He wasn't going to get that here."

Thorniley made 35 appearances in all competitions for Wednesday after arriving from Everton in July 2016.

"Good luck to him," said Monk. "He is a really good kid and I'm sure he is going to do very well there.

"That area is really strong in terms of numbers and that is the reason why we let it happen."

Thorniley was not involved in Blackpool's 2-1 reversal at Rotherham United in their first fixture of 2020.

"It was tough to leave Sheffield Wednesday, as they've been good to me having offered me a deal after being released from my first club," admitted Thorniley.

Jordan Thorniley on 15:18 - Jan 2 with 142 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Jordan Thorniley on 14:00 - Jan 11 with 123 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Jordan Thorniley only has good things to say about his former club Sheffield Wednesday but the prospect of regular game time at Blackpool was too good to turn down.

The 23-year-old arrived at Blackpool on New Year’s Day for an undisclosed fee having spent three seasons at Hillsborough, making 35 appearances.

But the centre-back has found himself down the pecking order this term, which prompted his move to Bloomfield Road.

“I’ve always wanted to get out and play games regularly so hopefully I get the opportunity to do that here,” Thorniley said.

“There were a few clubs interested in loan deals but when the permanent deal came across I thought that was the best option for me as I can now settle myself into a team.

“I didn’t play as much at Sheffield Wednesday as I would have liked but that’s how it goes in football.

“Sometimes you get players come in and you move down the pecking order, but I enjoyed my time there.

“I’ve seen a few comments from the their fans.

“They’ve been nothing but really good with me since the day I started there, so I can’t complain.”

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/blackpool-s-jorda

Jordan Thorniley on 18:48 - Jan 11 with 120 viewsspell_chekker

I'll bookmark this thread and add other Thorniley stuff.

It'll be interesting to see how his BFC career develops.

He's been bought on the grounds that he can be a performer at the top end of the championship and above.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024