Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cover versions better than the originals 20:36 - May 1 with 18840 viewsDr_Winston

I'll start you off with a couple.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Cover versions better than the originals on 15:00 - May 2 with 1660 viewskarnataka

Cover versions better than the originals on 21:23 - May 1 by leighton1318

Yup, always thought that was better than the original but at the other end of the spectrum, this is my favourite version and is in fact my all time favourite cover as it happens.

Cover versions better than the originals on 15:10 - May 2 with 1656 viewskarnataka

For a dramatic cover of a well known children's song.............

Cover versions better than the originals on 15:25 - May 2 with 1639 viewsTreforys_Jack

Cover versions better than the originals on 14:51 - May 2 by londonlisa2001

Can’t believe this hasn’t been mentioned.

By far the best cover version of all.

Was it a cover version though? Recorded but not released by Prince until a few yrs ago.
Cover versions better than the originals on 15:36 - May 2 with 1629 viewslondonlisa2001

Cover versions better than the originals on 15:25 - May 2 by Treforys_Jack

Was it a cover version though? Recorded but not released by Prince until a few yrs ago.

It was originally recorded by The Family. Released a few years before Sinead O’Connor.
Cover versions better than the originals on 15:54 - May 2 with 1603 viewscontroversial_jack

Better than Iggy Pop
Cover versions better than the originals on 16:04 - May 2 with 1596 viewsLohengrin

Fieryjack being a Dylan fan you’ve probably heard this before but for those that haven’t and may enjoy it all the loose threads are pulled together and woven into something fine...

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Cover versions better than the originals on 16:48 - May 2 with 1564 viewsLohengrin

Fulson’s original more than stands the test of time but when Presley is paired with the A Team in Nashville’s Studio B magic happens...

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Cover versions better than the originals on 17:07 - May 2 with 1559 viewsgrabsplatter

Got to add this one because I should have been going to his concert in Cardiff tonight!
Login to get fewer ads

Cover versions better than the originals on 17:20 - May 2 with 1544 viewssquarebear

Cover versions better than the originals on 21:29 - May 1 by FieryJack

Utterly destroys the original - and all the other versions.

Immaculate.

I bought a CD of Cohen covers but, as far as I was concerned, none came close to the originals.

Hallelujah just strikes me as too personal a song to cover. Someone else singing it is akin to them faking an orgasm. This isn't your song. These aren't your feelings.

Having said all that, my argument is completely undone by Cash's version of "Hurt".
Cover versions better than the originals on 17:25 - May 2 with 1534 viewsTreforys_Jack

Cover versions better than the originals on 15:36 - May 2 by londonlisa2001

It was originally recorded by The Family. Released a few years before Sinead O’Connor.

Fair enough.
Cover versions better than the originals on 17:25 - May 2 with 1534 viewslondonlisa2001

Cover versions better than the originals on 17:20 - May 2 by squarebear

I bought a CD of Cohen covers but, as far as I was concerned, none came close to the originals.

Hallelujah just strikes me as too personal a song to cover. Someone else singing it is akin to them faking an orgasm. This isn't your song. These aren't your feelings.

Having said all that, my argument is completely undone by Cash's version of "Hurt".

I’d thought I was the only person who never believed Jeff Buckley’s version of Hallelujah to be as good as Cohen’s. I’m gratified that I’m not...
Cover versions better than the originals on 17:26 - May 2 with 1532 viewssquarebear

Anyhow. Here's my favourite. I still remember The shivers down my spine when this started blasting out of the stereo in my mate's Marina.

Cover versions better than the originals on 17:28 - May 2 with 1525 viewslondonlisa2001

Cover versions better than the originals on 17:25 - May 2 by Treforys_Jack

Fair enough.

It’d have been easy enough to miss. The only reason I knew the original is because I have a friend who’s a Prince obsessive.
Cover versions better than the originals on 17:39 - May 2 with 1508 viewsblackpooljack

Cover versions better than the originals on 17:57 - May 2 with 1482 viewsWxmJax

Cover versions better than the originals on 14:40 - May 2 by WarwickHunt

Billy Joel...well I never! 😂

Here's another one for you, I reckon you like a bit of Leonard Cohen. Leonard approves of it

https://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/kcwr.html

[Post edited 2 May 2020 18:34]

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Cover versions better than the originals on 18:00 - May 2 with 1478 viewsFieryJack

Some good stuff on here!

Including some typically (and pleasingly) obscure and left-field stuff from Loh

Johnny Cash's version of Hurt has had a few mentions, but I remember being gob-smacked by this when I first heard it.

The first comment underneath it says it all: If Johnny Cash covers one of your songs, it's no longer yours

Cover versions better than the originals on 18:15 - May 2 with 1459 viewsDr_Winston

Cover versions better than the originals on 18:00 - May 2 by FieryJack

Some good stuff on here!

Including some typically (and pleasingly) obscure and left-field stuff from Loh

Johnny Cash's version of Hurt has had a few mentions, but I remember being gob-smacked by this when I first heard it.

The first comment underneath it says it all: If Johnny Cash covers one of your songs, it's no longer yours

That one is a bit too "spoken word". It's almost Shatneresque.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Cover versions better than the originals on 19:19 - May 2 with 1423 viewsBest_loser

Cover versions better than the originals on 19:44 - May 2 with 1400 viewskarnataka

I want to thank Dr Winston for starting this thread because there is a cover I had on a cassette tape that a friend gave me in the 90s which got lost when we moved in 2004 and this thread has inspired me to spend some time tracking it down this afternoon. I always knew it was from a film but I never knew which one until about an hour ago and I couldn't remember who sang it but I'm glad I've found it at last. I've just watched the video and it's from a film about the Vietnam war and the coincidence is that the first time I heard the song was while I was watching a news item during the Balkan war when it was at it's most intense and the feelings I had from a combination of the song and what I was seeing on TV at that time was one of those moments I wont forget.

Cover versions better than the originals on 20:09 - May 2 with 1382 viewsWarwickHunt

Cover versions better than the originals on 19:19 - May 2 by Best_loser

Wash your mouth out!

Cover versions better than the originals on 20:38 - May 2 with 1368 viewstheloneranger

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Cover versions better than the originals on 20:55 - May 2 with 1357 viewsLibertarian

Cover versions better than the originals on 17:39 - May 2 by blackpooljack

[Post edited 2 May 2020 21:02]
Cover versions better than the originals on 21:03 - May 2 with 1346 viewsSwanjaxs

This is gonna be hard to beat 😎

[Post edited 2 May 2020 21:08]

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Cover versions better than the originals on 21:34 - May 2 with 1320 viewsDarran

Please don’t bother replying to this because I’m a bit pissed and I’ll probably end up banning someone and regret it I’m the morning but Fats Domino likes this so much that he gave them the original gold disc for it,as there was four of them they had a game of cards for it and Rick Nielsen won.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Cover versions better than the originals on 21:48 - May 2 with 1307 viewsLeJacobin

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024