Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Begovic 10:04 - Aug 27 with 12187 viewsRangersw12

For me his distribution is awful and he was at fault for the first goal yesterday.

I also don't understand why he's captain when you have Field , Cook and Colback who seem better options

In general I think he looks a poor signing and there must have been younger cheaper keepers out there . For me it seems his age has caught up with him and struggles to get down quicker enough .

What are people s thoughts on him so far ? Am I being too harsh ?!
[Post edited 27 Aug 2023 10:13]
Begovic on 10:07 - Aug 27 with 6017 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Yes, I do think you are being too harsh three games in.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2023 10:10]
Begovic on 10:10 - Aug 27 with 5996 viewsWatford_Ranger

Yeah he was at fault for the first goal but don’t think he’s been great or horrendous so far. For a year he’s a reasonable enough stop gap. Is his distribution bad or do we have no one to play it out to? He tries to keep it simple when the pass is on.
Begovic on 10:17 - Aug 27 with 5936 viewsJuzzie

Goalie’s are human just like the ten other players in front of them. Those ten players always make mistakes, bad passes, mistimed tackles, bad ball control etc yet most of the time they get away with it and unless a goal is conceded ad a result it’s generally forgotten about.
A goalie has no such luxury and pretty much has to be 100% perfect which the outfield players don’t.
Begovic on 10:28 - Aug 27 with 5873 viewsLogman

He was our best player a couple of weeks ago so it is too early to be writing him off. Additionally, our 2nd and 3rd choice keepers don't appear to be up to it so we need to stick with and get behind Begovic.
Begovic on 10:32 - Aug 27 with 5845 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

In a team labelled bound for relegation he’s conceded less goals than Seny Dieng in a team labelled bound for promotion.

I think we should probably offer him a bit more time before we start making him this year’s scapegoat ffs.
Begovic on 10:34 - Aug 27 with 5837 viewsFDC

His distribution last week was really bad, a bit better yesterday but still not great, too many big high balls to the touchline that Smyth or Chair are never going to get to. His shot stopping is definitely questionable too. One area he has looked decent is in collecting crosses and corners.
Begovic on 10:45 - Aug 27 with 5771 viewsEsox_Lucius

Can we just get back to scathing comments on Kakay & Dozzell please? I can't be doing with going to games and having to watch ALL the players for mistakes they make.

The grass is always greener.

Begovic on 10:46 - Aug 27 with 5762 viewsnadera78

I think he just looks a little bit rusty tbh - unsurprising given the lack of games he's played the last few seasons. Goalkeepers need to play, otherwise they lose their sharpness. He'll be fine once he gets his rhythm back.
Login to get fewer ads

Begovic on 10:49 - Aug 27 with 5738 viewsLanhoop

Begovic on 10:45 - Aug 27 by Esox_Lucius

Can we just get back to scathing comments on Kakay & Dozzell please? I can't be doing with going to games and having to watch ALL the players for mistakes they make.

He should have done better with the first goal. He'll be unhappy with that one. His kicking is average not terrible but at least until Dykes is back the long kicks are handing over too much possession.
Begovic on 10:54 - Aug 27 with 5702 viewsChrisNW6

Begovic on 10:32 - Aug 27 by Padulas_Shampoo

In a team labelled bound for relegation he’s conceded less goals than Seny Dieng in a team labelled bound for promotion.

I think we should probably offer him a bit more time before we start making him this year’s scapegoat ffs.

I just hope he stays fit and available as it's the one position that picks itself all season. Glad he's here and we need to give this team at least another 10 games before we start throwing players under the bus.
Begovic on 11:09 - Aug 27 with 5621 viewsSK_hoops

I've seen goalies like De Gea and Lloris make worse mistakes and they were premier league goalkeepers!
Begovic on 11:35 - Aug 27 with 5531 viewsNorthantsHoop

Think he is doing fine, looking at Dieng's performances at Middlesbrough he looks totally out of sorts.
Begovic on 12:25 - Aug 27 with 5317 viewsstevec

Don’t think the keeper is an issue in this squad
Begovic on 12:50 - Aug 27 with 5264 viewsHooping_Mad

He's 36 and slow to get down. It may be a problem.

Still was the best player on the pitch at Watford.

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Begovic on 13:19 - Aug 27 with 5168 viewsAntti_Heinola

He’s fine.
Mistake yesterday, but got down very smartly to make a good save v ipswich last week. Made captain before colback and Cook came in, but they can ‘be’ captains anyway, just as Hill, Derry, Faurlin, Orr, Gorkss etc were in 2011.

We have far bigger problems, no point piling minor things like this on.

Bare bones.

Begovic on 13:23 - Aug 27 with 5154 viewsHooping_Mad

I don't think he's the right choice if we are going to be a counter attacking team, distribution needs to be a strength there and it just isn't.

If we stop sitting back in our final 3rd the I think he can do a job

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Begovic on 14:00 - Aug 27 with 5043 viewsdavman

Begovic on 10:34 - Aug 27 by FDC

His distribution last week was really bad, a bit better yesterday but still not great, too many big high balls to the touchline that Smyth or Chair are never going to get to. His shot stopping is definitely questionable too. One area he has looked decent is in collecting crosses and corners.

The tactic of hitting it long when Dykes is not playing means that we need another outlet and I think that playing in the air to Smyth was a deliberate tactic from GA. Not a good idea mind as shown by the small number of winning headers. Maybe push Kakay on for that.

So, that aspect of AB's game yesterday was not bad.

He was culpable for the goal and should have got down quicker and be able to push it away. And that was one of three saves he HAD to make; they scored with the other two shots on target.

He'd be disappointed about his own performance today, but none of that makes him a good or awful 'keeper to be fair. He'll do as the alternatives are scary.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Begovic on 14:56 - Aug 27 with 4956 viewsMatch82

Begovic on 14:00 - Aug 27 by davman

The tactic of hitting it long when Dykes is not playing means that we need another outlet and I think that playing in the air to Smyth was a deliberate tactic from GA. Not a good idea mind as shown by the small number of winning headers. Maybe push Kakay on for that.

So, that aspect of AB's game yesterday was not bad.

He was culpable for the goal and should have got down quicker and be able to push it away. And that was one of three saves he HAD to make; they scored with the other two shots on target.

He'd be disappointed about his own performance today, but none of that makes him a good or awful 'keeper to be fair. He'll do as the alternatives are scary.

It won't count in the stats because the play was called back, but he did make a good save from that quick free kick they took too
Begovic on 16:50 - Aug 27 with 4805 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Overall I think he's been ok and will improve with games. However, I agree on the armband. This should go to Cook.
Begovic on 17:33 - Aug 27 with 4703 viewsHayesender

Should have saved the first one, but I was more concerned with our bench. SDM was so far out of his depth in the short time he was on, and seemed to be blowing out of his arse

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Begovic on 20:48 - Aug 27 with 4480 viewsLongRanger

He’s criticised for going long but that’s clearly the plan, he’s not deciding for himself that he fancies launching it …and also the 3 in front of him aren’t the most comfortable with it at their feet, so options are limited. I think he’s fine.
Begovic on 00:19 - Aug 28 with 4176 viewsVancouverHoop

Begovic on 10:28 - Aug 27 by Logman

He was our best player a couple of weeks ago so it is too early to be writing him off. Additionally, our 2nd and 3rd choice keepers don't appear to be up to it so we need to stick with and get behind Begovic.

Exactly. Where, and who, are the options right now?
Begovic on 07:59 - Aug 28 with 3990 viewsHastings_Hoops

It’s a bit harsh to call out Begovic based on four or five games.

The first goal he conceded against Saints is one that I would have expected Dieng to have conceded (remember, everyone used to complain about his shot-stopping ability).

There was one point in the Saints match where he chose to fall on the ball at the end of the first half having collected a corner rather than release it early with Armstrong on halfway line 1 v 1… but to be fair that would be a harsh criticism as his game-management approach will win more points than it’ll lose us this year.

All in all, he seems to be just as useful as Dieng and we are (I assume) financially better off with this change.

…also creates a path for Cole (if Ainsworth decides to finally push him to 2nd choice ahead of Archer).
[Post edited 28 Aug 2023 7:59]
Begovic on 08:13 - Aug 28 with 3940 viewsgazza1

Like it or not......Saints first goal came about by an error from Begovic - he should have saved it (a couple of the defenders didn't do too well either).

Overall, Begovic is doing OK, nothing more, nothing less. Made a couple of good saves in matches and may have done better with a couple of the goals.
Begovic on 08:36 - Aug 28 with 3898 viewsdmm

Regarding the issue of Begovic being captain, I'd suggest he was chosen because he was the most experienced player in the squad, and has played at the highest levels.

Cook and Colback were not at the club when he was appointed and he has been playing for many more years than Field. To have given him the armband and then taken it away to give to another player would have been bad man management.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024