Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Minute's applause... 08:41 - Dec 29 with 4578 viewsWesty75

For a plane going missing?

The minutes applause - scourge of the modern game.
Minute's applause... on 08:57 - Dec 29 with 4516 viewsHantsR

Felt the same myself. I guess having already decided on applause for one purpose then it was difficult to change when this awful news broke. The outcome of the Air Asia missing plane is of course not officially confirmed so that would cause another dilemma. However it felt very wrong and possibly insensitive under the circumstances.
Minute's applause... on 09:00 - Dec 29 with 4497 viewspomanjou

Could'nt agree more Westy. Or for any other assorted mundane reason.

And why applause? Are we clapping people as they transfer to the 'other side'?

And I cannot believe that the club arranged applause at the 5 minute point for Clarke Carlisle.

If we need to remember people then lets do it with a minutes silent contemplation.

At the moment we have gone happy clappy crackers.

I personally find myself unable to participate.

Currently residing in Pinner, Centre of the Universe.
Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

Minute's applause... on 09:43 - Dec 29 with 4343 viewssexton

When news of the plane broke they should have cancelled the minute's applause. And I say that as somebody whose Dad died this year - supposedly one of the people being 'remembered'.

As for Clarke Carlisle, it's very sad but to be brutal I'm not sure he's so special to Rangers that he warrants club-sponsored applause.
Minute's applause... on 09:59 - Dec 29 with 4288 viewsdaveB

the minutes applause was for all of the QPR fans who have died in 2014
Minute's applause... on 10:00 - Dec 29 with 4280 viewsthame_hoops

What happened to minutes silence? Is it because idiots can't stay quiet? At the Cowboys/Jaguars nfl game at Wembley they did a minutes silence for rememberance day and you could have heard a pin drop it was deadly silent
Minute's applause... on 10:07 - Dec 29 with 4259 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

The applause was best when it was a spontaneous thing. The tide will turn and we'll be back to silences again.

Either way, whatever is called for, I shall dutifully do - at least the applause yesterday meant we got to applaud something and keep warm for a minute before the dire game started/continued.
Minute's applause... on 10:26 - Dec 29 with 4208 viewsjohann28

I've noticed that this is the custom in Italy, although there it tends to start in silence and build to a crescendo half way through, but it does seem a shame that we've come to this imo. A minute's silence inside a packed and excitable stadium is still a very moving, potent 'memento mori'; applause can seem lukewarm by contrast.
Minute's applause... on 12:13 - Dec 29 with 4062 viewsbarabajagal

As I understand, there are three types of conformity. Identification, internalisation and compliance. In this instance some conform because they identify with the majority (a logical explanation for football fans), and want to fit in, others because they really believe in the cause (internalisation) and others because they wish to avoid punishment for not doing it or receive reward for doing it. Whichever the case, conformity is an exceptionally powerful social influence, I imagine that the minutes applause/silence is with us for a long time to come.
Login to get fewer ads

Minute's applause... on 12:24 - Dec 29 with 4024 viewsTacticalR

Minute's applause... on 12:13 - Dec 29 by barabajagal

As I understand, there are three types of conformity. Identification, internalisation and compliance. In this instance some conform because they identify with the majority (a logical explanation for football fans), and want to fit in, others because they really believe in the cause (internalisation) and others because they wish to avoid punishment for not doing it or receive reward for doing it. Whichever the case, conformity is an exceptionally powerful social influence, I imagine that the minutes applause/silence is with us for a long time to come.

Some of my best friends are conformists.

Air hostess clique

Minute's applause... on 12:34 - Dec 29 with 3989 viewsTheBlob

Minute's applause... on 12:13 - Dec 29 by barabajagal

What happens if you've only got one arm?

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Minute's applause... on 12:44 - Dec 29 with 3961 viewsTacticalR

Minute's applause... on 12:34 - Dec 29 by TheBlob

You will be thoroughly investigated by the Ministry of Applause.

Air hostess clique

Minute's applause... on 12:46 - Dec 29 with 3948 viewsdaveB

Only QPR fans could moan about the club organising something that fans have asked them to do. If you didn't like the idea of applauding fans who have died in the last year then just don't join in, no on was forced to.
Minute's applause... on 12:48 - Dec 29 with 3939 viewsTheBlob

Minute's applause... on 12:44 - Dec 29 by TacticalR

You will be thoroughly investigated by the Ministry of Applause.

It's that old zen thing "if the sound of two hands is a clap,what is the sound of one hand?"

I think it's called a slap.So to join in you've gotta keep time on someone's boat.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Minute's applause... on 13:17 - Dec 29 with 3872 viewsbarabajagal

Click fingers, slap thigh, break wind... Be imaginative
Minute's applause... on 13:24 - Dec 29 with 3852 viewsJigsore

'scourge of the modern game' crikey is there anything LFW won't moan about?

Forget your club branding, total monetisation of the Premier league, Sky arranging for away games to be played at stupid o'clock on a sunday evening... it's this minutes applause that sickens me. Oh for the good old days

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Minute's applause... on 13:31 - Dec 29 with 3840 viewspomanjou

Minute's applause... on 12:46 - Dec 29 by daveB

Only QPR fans could moan about the club organising something that fans have asked them to do. If you didn't like the idea of applauding fans who have died in the last year then just don't join in, no on was forced to.

Exactly Dave, that's why I didn't.

I did'nt think they would hear me.

Currently residing in Pinner, Centre of the Universe.
Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

Minute's applause... on 14:08 - Dec 29 with 3776 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

Coincidently I met a mate of mine in the street yesterday. He only has one arm.

He was carrying a lightbulb. I said what you going to do with that?

He said, I'm going to change it. I said how you gonna do that?

He said, I've got a receipt.

Minute's applause... on 19:50 - Dec 29 with 3615 viewsCanadaRanger

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/12/29/flamboyant-airasia-chief-executive-faces
Minute's applause... on 20:03 - Dec 29 with 3593 viewsM40R

Or... if you are holding a scalding mug of Bovril?
Minute's applause... on 20:11 - Dec 29 with 3562 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

Minute's applause... on 19:50 - Dec 29 by CanadaRanger

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/12/29/flamboyant-airasia-chief-executive-faces

Fox News are some of the biggest cùnts out there, ATAF.
Minute's applause... on 22:50 - Dec 29 with 3419 viewsWesty75

Minute's applause... on 12:46 - Dec 29 by daveB

Sorry Dave, the first thing the bloke announcing the applause said it was for was the plane going missing.

And if I had lost someone in the last year the last thing I would want is a minutes f*cking applause to mark it. A minutes silence in a packed stadium has always been an incredibly powerful and poignant thing, a real mark of respect. A minutes applause is just a bit sh*t.
Minute's applause... on 23:20 - Dec 29 with 3372 viewsdaveB

Minute's applause... on 22:50 - Dec 29 by Westy75

Sorry Dave, the first thing the bloke announcing the applause said it was for was the plane going missing.

And if I had lost someone in the last year the last thing I would want is a minutes f*cking applause to mark it. A minutes silence in a packed stadium has always been an incredibly powerful and poignant thing, a real mark of respect. A minutes applause is just a bit sh*t.

sadly too many arseholes around to ruin a minutes silence as we saw for the poppy day one against Man City and in the away game at Chelsea. Really not sure why it's such an issue, I thought it was a nice thing for the club to do
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024