Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rob Green in the Mail 03:00 - Mar 12 with 17763 viewstimcocking

"Rob Green no longer appears to exist. He is not named when Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink lists his roster of goalkeepers at Queens Park Rangers during media interviews, not involved when the first-team squad trains, nowhere to be seen on matchdays.

He remains a paid employee at Loftus Road, and comfortably the best goalkeeper at the club."

Which is why we all love the daily mail...

(ps I was more having a pop at the sh!t quality of the mail than Rob Green, who's been done over by the ffp. He's been ok for us mostly, I've no problem with him per se)
[Post edited 12 Mar 2016 15:51]
Rob Green in the Mail on 00:44 - Mar 13 with 2960 viewsisawqpratwcity

Rob Green in the Mail on 00:19 - Mar 13 by QPR_Jim

I don't expect him to give up half a million quid just because the club change there mind, if he wants to sit out his contract because he wants the money then that's fine by me on two conditions:
1. He doesn't go o the papers and moan about not playing.
2. He doesn't claim it's not about the money.

If he really wanted to play football he could have foregone the half a million and sign somewhere else and earn maybe a quarter of a million instead in Jan. But he didn't so evidently he doesn't want to play that bad. Therefore he can STFU and stop talking to journalists about how unfairly he's been treated.

Don't get me wrong I have a lot of respect for Green, he's certainly behaved like a professional in his time with the club and I don't begrudge him earning his money to sit on the bench, as you say it's not his fault we offered him his contract. I just can't abide this rubbish that he couldn't get a move in Jan, we were offering him on a free so I'm sure we would have let him terminate his contract and negotiate as a free agent if he had asked to.

Be aware that we are talking about decent chunks of money. I am working on the widespread belief that Green is on about 50k a week, and that he has only been offered something around 25k elsewhere (are these numbers correct? who knows?).

So, assuming those numbers are remotely accurate, we are talking about him giving up a good half million, even after getting paid by the other club. That's ridiculous.

I haven't seen this interview. Even assuming that it is accurate, rubbish it for being RG making nice noises about himself, not for not giving up a cool half mill. If we had decided to make sure that Green was not out of pocket by taking a transfer, WE could have been the ones saving that half mill.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Rob Green in the Mail on 01:03 - Mar 13 with 2942 viewsQPR_Jim

Rob Green in the Mail on 00:44 - Mar 13 by isawqpratwcity

Be aware that we are talking about decent chunks of money. I am working on the widespread belief that Green is on about 50k a week, and that he has only been offered something around 25k elsewhere (are these numbers correct? who knows?).

So, assuming those numbers are remotely accurate, we are talking about him giving up a good half million, even after getting paid by the other club. That's ridiculous.

I haven't seen this interview. Even assuming that it is accurate, rubbish it for being RG making nice noises about himself, not for not giving up a cool half mill. If we had decided to make sure that Green was not out of pocket by taking a transfer, WE could have been the ones saving that half mill.

Nobody knows what wages he's on but they seem reasonable figures for the purpose of this discussion.

I still think he would get a better deal in the summer if he had been playing constantly throughout the season so I think long term he won't have lost all that half million, but you never know.

Like I said I don't have an issue with him getting paid as per his contract, the board offered it and he took it so no harm done. I'm merely referring to it as evidence that he's talking out his hat in that interview. I wouldn't be surprised if it was more complex than I'm suggesting but to me the comments that he wants to play and it's not about the money should be met with the response that he is free to terminate his contract.
Rob Green in the Mail on 02:12 - Mar 13 with 2911 viewsPunteR

End of the day Smithies is playing well enough to keep Green out of the team anyway.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Rob Green in the Mail on 05:39 - Mar 13 with 2890 viewsisawqpratwcity

Rob Green in the Mail on 01:03 - Mar 13 by QPR_Jim

Nobody knows what wages he's on but they seem reasonable figures for the purpose of this discussion.

I still think he would get a better deal in the summer if he had been playing constantly throughout the season so I think long term he won't have lost all that half million, but you never know.

Like I said I don't have an issue with him getting paid as per his contract, the board offered it and he took it so no harm done. I'm merely referring to it as evidence that he's talking out his hat in that interview. I wouldn't be surprised if it was more complex than I'm suggesting but to me the comments that he wants to play and it's not about the money should be met with the response that he is free to terminate his contract.

The half million I'm talking about is what he would have lost by quitting his contract with us early and going elsewhere. But you are saying that he will earn less on his next contract, because he has spent 6 months in limbo, with consequent doubts on his form or motivation, or the diminished cachet of the name 'Rob Green' being out of the public eye. Those are reasonable considerations and may well end up costing him. Alternatively, he may see his chances being improved by not being a 'reduced to clear' commodity, rather a 'name' goalkeeper that some club may choose to incorporate into a planned restructure over summer.

We don't know how accurate the interview was, and it could also be seen as RG making nice (self-serving) noises to keep his profile up. It is an easy response to say that he should have given up his contract, but I maintain that that is, and always was, an unrealistic expectation. The club has ended up not saving any money out of this, when our loss could have been greatly reduced with a more accommodating posture. It's like we bet all-or-nothing on his supposed need to keep playing, miscalculated the odds and lost.

Rob Green in the Mail on 08:21 - Mar 13 with 2806 viewsCHUBBS

Rob Green in the Mail on 23:45 - Mar 12 by isawqpratwcity

Then call that out for the self-serving bullshit that it is.

But do not expect a bloke to give up a contracted half a million quid or more, just because the club has decided they now want to go in a different direction.

This club is NOT "on its knees financially" and I am sticking up for a bloke who signed a contract with the club. You'd want some-one to stick up for you if your boss turned round and said 'I know we agreed this, but I've changed my mind so fck off'.

Just about everybody is both rich AND poor compared to different people; that's no basis for deciding what is right. A deal's a deal. The club should have been more inventive in trying to shift him last January.

I don't care wether he stays or goes but don't come out complaining about lack of games telling all its not about the money,then run your contract down rather than play.
I don't hate Green but he's been atrocious this season costing us loads of points so isn't even in a position of standing to complain.
The mans a hypocrite.
Rob Green in the Mail on 08:25 - Mar 13 with 2799 viewsDejR_vu

Rob Green in the Mail on 00:44 - Mar 13 by isawqpratwcity

But isn't the whole point that Green says it's not about the money? So the numbers are irrelevant. Or maybe he's being disingenuous??

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Rob Green in the Mail on 08:25 - Mar 13 with 2798 viewsJamie

But do not expect a bloke to give up a contracted half a million quid or more, just because the club has decided they now want to go in a different direction.

This club is NOT "on its knees financially" and I am sticking up for a bloke who signed a contract with the club. You'd want some-one to stick up for you if your boss turned round and said 'I know we agreed this, but I've changed my mind so fck off'.

Just about everybody is both rich AND poor compared to different people; that's no basis for deciding what is right. A deal's a deal. The club should have been more inventive in trying to shift him last January.

Except in this case, the boss has turned around and said 'sorry mate, but our situation has changed since we employed you and we can't afford to offer you an extended contract. We will however continue to pay you your full salary whilst you see out your contract, but in the interests of the company, you will do so on gardening leave'

Green's response was to run to the papers telling them how hard done by he was.

As I said, a cnt of epic proportions.
Rob Green in the Mail on 08:54 - Mar 13 with 2765 viewsdaveB

Green is out of the team on merit, ignoring the contract it was right to drop him after Hull as he was rubbish again and cost us that game. Smithies is the better keeper at the moment
Login to get fewer ads

Rob Green in the Mail on 09:05 - Mar 13 with 2748 viewsDWQPR

Rob Green in the Mail on 08:54 - Mar 13 by daveB

Green is out of the team on merit, ignoring the contract it was right to drop him after Hull as he was rubbish again and cost us that game. Smithies is the better keeper at the moment

No , Smithies is not the better keeper for now, he is just the better keeper, in all aspects of the game. If Smithies was first choice from the start of the season I suspect that our points tally would at least be 10 more. Green cost us much more than the Hull game, right back to Charlton away with their first goal and getting beaten at the near post was the start of what was a calamatious season for him. His distribution was consistently awful, bad enough that yesterday we took the pîss out of the Brentford keeper for 10 minutes of bad kicking and calling him 'Greeno'!

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Rob Green in the Mail on 09:45 - Mar 13 with 2708 viewsdistortR

Got to disagree with your relativity of wealth point.

I f@#king hate my job at the moment and find it totally unfulfilling, but live pretty much from hand to mouth and therefore cannot leave until i have something else lined up.

Rob Green is not, or certainly should not be, in this situation. He could take the hit and be more fulfilled. He chooses not to. Fair enough, we have acted moronically in handing out dumb contracts for far too long, but he has choices all day long due to his accrued wealth.

So don't go whinging to the press or act in a way that can be construed as whinging to the press about your 'problems'. Boo hoo and f@#k off.
[Post edited 13 Mar 2016 13:24]
Rob Green in the Mail on 09:57 - Mar 13 with 2692 viewsisawqpratwcity

Well clearly I'm not going to make any progress arguing his case here.

Go ahead and hate the bloke. Maybe we should bring him back for one game just so you can all get your jollies from booing him. You may as well, since it has cost us at least half a million more than it needed to, and that is down to us, QPR, not him.

And while you're all venting your spleen, ask yourself how far he is from the worst servant of the club we've had over the last four years. If you're honest, it's a long way.

Rob Green in the Mail on 10:10 - Mar 13 with 2661 viewsCHUBBS

Rob Green in the Mail on 09:57 - Mar 13 by isawqpratwcity

Go ahead and hate the bloke. Maybe we should bring him back for one game just so you can all get your jollies from booing him. You may as well, since it has cost us at least half a million more than it needed to, and that is down to us, QPR, not him.

And while you're all venting your spleen, ask yourself how far he is from the worst servant of the club we've had over the last four years. If you're honest, it's a long way.

And there you go again completely missing the point.
He's the one complaining not QPR,they are happy to pay him to sit still if that's what HE wants,which he clearly is happy to do because if he felt that strongly about it he'd walk away.
If he hadn't come out with these ridiculous comments he wouldn't be getting any stick other than the usual for his dreadful form this season.
Rob Green in the Mail on 10:11 - Mar 13 with 2663 viewsnix

Absolutely don't hate the guy; actually quite like him and thought he was one of our more committed performers last season. Would never boo him either.

But this article only gives the situation from his point of view. We don't know, from the club's perspective, whether they wanted him to go in January or not. I do think, though, Green could have agreed to strike out the clause granting contract extension on the same (ridiculous) terms if he really wanted to play. Seems a bit much to go bleating to the press when the club's made him very comfortably off and has only done now what's in their commercial interest (which is exactly what you're defending Green for doing). He's got no divine right to play and Smithies is now there on merit now anyway, however he got his chance.
Rob Green in the Mail on 10:13 - Mar 13 with 2658 viewsdistortR

I don't "hate" Rob Green, I just don't think he has any right to feel self pity. He is in the enviable situation of having options - he chose not to exercise them.

I don't think anyone could argue that he should be playing based on his performances this season. He probably kept his place in the team longer then he should have in order to showcase his, ahem, talents to other teams. Same with leroy fer.

If it was an option and would have saved us money then yes, I agree we should have subsidised his wages elsewhere, although there is a moral issue here as well.
Rob Green in the Mail on 10:13 - Mar 13 with 2657 viewsQPR_Jim

Again I don't hate the bloke, I doubt many do, I was happy for him to run out his contract if that's what he wants to do, but don't complain about it in the media. This whole thread is a reaction to his contradictory comments. As far as i can tell nobody has actively looked to slate the guy or hound him out the club, so I don't see why you think we'd want a game to boo him.
Rob Green in the Mail on 12:54 - Mar 13 with 2592 viewsPommyhoop

Give him a game to boo him?
Feck that, I'd rather have the clean sheet.
How many has Smithies kept now?

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Rob Green in the Mail on 13:18 - Mar 13 with 2555 viewsthemodfather

green can cry into the papers, like swp but he's picking up his cheque and not turning it down but never mentions the fact, he's SHITE!
Rob Green in the Mail on 13:48 - Mar 13 with 2533 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Rob Green in the Mail on 10:13 - Mar 13 by distortR

I don't "hate" Rob Green, I just don't think he has any right to feel self pity. He is in the enviable situation of having options - he chose not to exercise them.

I don't think anyone could argue that he should be playing based on his performances this season. He probably kept his place in the team longer then he should have in order to showcase his, ahem, talents to other teams. Same with leroy fer.

If it was an option and would have saved us money then yes, I agree we should have subsidised his wages elsewhere, although there is a moral issue here as well.

Nail on head .

Good luck Robert. No hard feelings about the paper stuff. Thanks for your time.
Rob Green in the Mail on 15:11 - Mar 13 with 2497 viewssuperhoopdownunder

In the Championship this season
Green conceded 29 goals in 24 league games (not including the 2 against Forest when he got sent off and gave the penalty away) (an average of 1.21 goals conceded per game) with 7 clean sheets
Smithies has conceded 13 goals in 14 league games (including the 2 against Forest when Green was sent off) at an average of 0.93 per game with 6 clean sheets

In my humble opinion Smithies is a better keeper and distributes much better than Green
Green will be lucky to get a job with a Championship team for next season.
Going to the press and complaining when earning say 50k per week and not even having to turn up is poor form

Green's best days are behind him. Thanks for your efforts especially 2 and 3 seasons ago
All the best.
We move on.
Rob Green in the Mail on 15:24 - Mar 13 with 2491 viewsbaz_qpr

There's a line in that interview about only West Ham actually making an offer, and after Sullivan talked down Austin we were never going to deal with West Ham. If no one else was actually willing to make an offer what could he or we do differently
Rob Green in the Mail on 16:07 - Mar 13 with 2468 viewssexton

If it weren't for Green's errors this season we would be in one of the play-off places and not so desperate at this stage to trim the budget for next season.
Rob Green in the Mail on 19:12 - Mar 13 with 2394 viewsTGRRRSSS

He isnt the best Keeper at the club anymore, he's the most "successful" in terms of playing for England and many years in the PL.
He was a good goalkeeper, he lacks about 2% (which is all in the head) that stops him being a truly world class goalkeeper, thats not his fault and it isnt his fault what the club pay him.
However they have the right to pick him, or not they have the right to have a new contract or not.
He cannot on the one hand say it isnt about money if behind the scenes he's turned down other offers (maybe not guranteed first team football at Palace or Chelsea was an issue to - lets face it, at Chelsea he'd have been number 2 and played a bit of League Cup and maybe the odd FA Cup or something.
At Palace - I suspect likewise.

It's the DM though they make millions from their clicks on articles just like that.
Rob Green in the Mail on 19:25 - Mar 13 with 2387 viewsNorthernr

I've found this piece improves if you read it with this in the background.

Rob Green in the Mail on 19:36 - Mar 13 with 2372 viewsenfieldargh

As Jensen button the Brentford keeper kept miss kicking his kicks yesterday he was met with a chorus of Greeno greeno

Last two games have had Richard keough and button green for a bot of comic relief

Who is up next?

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Rob Green in the Mail on 19:40 - Mar 13 with 2367 viewsNorthernr

Rob Green in the Mail on 19:36 - Mar 13 by enfieldargh

As Jensen button the Brentford keeper kept miss kicking his kicks yesterday he was met with a chorus of Greeno greeno

Last two games have had Richard keough and button green for a bot of comic relief

Who is up next?

Apparently Bryan Robson is in the running for the Boro job who I think are next up in W12. Gutted I'm not going to be there for that
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024