Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Olly 17:05 - Nov 26 with 6150 viewswelwynranger

The honeymoon is over. It didn't take long
Olly on 15:08 - Nov 27 with 1900 viewsPunteR

Olly on 13:32 - Nov 27 by 2Thomas2Bowles

When the chairman decides, and clearly he did.

But he didn't sack him because it was boring football. We've just made that up because there's no other logical excuse to sack him. clearly JFH was doing the things TF wanted apart from getting us promoted on a shoe string budget.
You've decided it was boring.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2016 15:16]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Olly on 00:18 - Nov 28 with 1783 viewsLadbrokeR

So let me get this straight holloways honeymoon was 89 minutes against an out of form team who had ten men. Keeping with the matrimonial analogy he is know down to the business of the long haul.
Olly on 10:18 - Nov 28 with 1656 viewsdaveB

One positive from Saturday was Holloway identified the problems after the game about moving the ball too slowly, a lack of pressing and a lack of confidence when we went 2-0 down so he at least knows where improvements are needed
Olly on 11:05 - Nov 28 with 1623 viewsTacticalR

Olly on 00:18 - Nov 28 by LadbrokeR

So let me get this straight holloways honeymoon was 89 minutes against an out of form team who had ten men. Keeping with the matrimonial analogy he is know down to the business of the long haul.

When it comes to managers the club is like those American Christian evangelists who preach monogamy but practice promiscuity.

Air hostess clique

Olly on 11:21 - Nov 28 with 1606 viewsfrancisbowles

Olly on 10:18 - Nov 28 by daveB

One positive from Saturday was Holloway identified the problems after the game about moving the ball too slowly, a lack of pressing and a lack of confidence when we went 2-0 down so he at least knows where improvements are needed

I woudd have thought that all of those were clearly evident a while ago and would have been part of his briefing on starting the role.

Still he has to say something and it is much better received by the fans than 'it is what it is'.

What I would have liked him to do was try and change the game with positive substitutions. Maybe take the wingbacks off and put on two wingers. He had four of them on the bench!

Then at least he could have truthfully said we really went for it.
Olly on 11:34 - Nov 28 with 1584 viewstimcocking

Olly on 11:49 - Nov 27 by Roller

Re: Doughty and Furlong - inside source, overheard remark or gut feeling?

There was an article the other day saying he likes doughty and had already gone to watch him and Darnell i seem to remember...
Olly on 16:21 - Nov 28 with 1477 viewsDesertBoot

Doughty was promised he'd be starting alot of games two seasons ago, then was bombed out to Swindon. Always heard that Ollie rates him so hopefully we can get him back.

Wish I could be like David Watts

Olly on 17:13 - Nov 28 with 1455 viewsdaveB

Olly on 11:21 - Nov 28 by francisbowles

I woudd have thought that all of those were clearly evident a while ago and would have been part of his briefing on starting the role.

Still he has to say something and it is much better received by the fans than 'it is what it is'.

What I would have liked him to do was try and change the game with positive substitutions. Maybe take the wingbacks off and put on two wingers. He had four of them on the bench!

Then at least he could have truthfully said we really went for it.

He's only been in the job 2 weeks and being told about a problem and seeing it for yourself is very different.

I thought he did try to change things but we had so many problems in that last half an hour that he needed 6 rather than 3 subs
Login to get fewer ads

Olly on 17:20 - Nov 28 with 1449 viewsCroydonCaptJack

As honeymoons go, it was a weekend in Hunstanton rather than a fortnight in the Maldives wasn't it.
Olly on 19:28 - Nov 28 with 1398 viewsfrancisbowles

Olly on 17:13 - Nov 28 by daveB

He's only been in the job 2 weeks and being told about a problem and seeing it for yourself is very different.

I thought he did try to change things but we had so many problems in that last half an hour that he needed 6 rather than 3 subs

Yes good points DaveB, I wasn't having a pop at Ollie or you. It really was not our day and there was not much else he could have said. One problem he had was that the third goal followed the second so quickly, that from decent chance to get back into it to virtually no chance happened before he could react at 0-2. To be fair Sandro and Ngbakoto went closest to getting us a goal.
Olly on 19:34 - Nov 28 with 1390 viewsRoller

Olly on 11:34 - Nov 28 by timcocking

There was an article the other day saying he likes doughty and had already gone to watch him and Darnell i seem to remember...

Ollie was working for Sky that day. Ferdinand and Ramsey were also at the match, but even if they weren't just guests of their old mate Tactics Tim, it would surely make sense to go and check on the progress of a couple of their players who were out on loan on an international weekend?

I'm not saying that the option isn't being considered, but, as I understand it, season long loans generally do not have a recall option.
Olly on 08:50 - Nov 29 with 1319 viewsfrancisbowles

Olly on 19:34 - Nov 28 by Roller

Ollie was working for Sky that day. Ferdinand and Ramsey were also at the match, but even if they weren't just guests of their old mate Tactics Tim, it would surely make sense to go and check on the progress of a couple of their players who were out on loan on an international weekend?

I'm not saying that the option isn't being considered, but, as I understand it, season long loans generally do not have a recall option.

On another thread the very knowledgeable CamberleyR says they do now but only during the window.

Seeing that we are currently light in both positions and, I have always thought that Furlong looks more of a wingback anyway, I think it could be on.
Olly on 09:30 - Nov 29 with 1298 viewsCopenranger

Still very positive about the appointment - it takes time etc..

Anyway, one thing that's been worrying me from day one, is a line from Olly's first press conference (Clives report):
""We've got some very talented boys, to get them into a team and a shape is going to be difficult"
Has he gotten more specific? Are they lacking form, experience, team spirit, tactical knowledge etc?
(I haven't been able to read everything that's been posted on LFW or by the club in the last weekes).
Olly on 14:00 - Nov 29 with 1259 viewsToast_R

Here's a good new manager bounce from 1989. Trevor Francis out and Don Howe stepping up with two scintillating wins over Palace and Chelsea. Two London derby wins in succession, well I never.

Grrrrrrrrhhh... Great Days
Olly on 14:19 - Nov 29 with 1241 viewsdaveB

Olly on 09:30 - Nov 29 by Copenranger

Still very positive about the appointment - it takes time etc..

Anyway, one thing that's been worrying me from day one, is a line from Olly's first press conference (Clives report):
""We've got some very talented boys, to get them into a team and a shape is going to be difficult"
Has he gotten more specific? Are they lacking form, experience, team spirit, tactical knowledge etc?
(I haven't been able to read everything that's been posted on LFW or by the club in the last weekes).

I think the problem is we have Cherry who plays best as a number 10 and a set of strikers who work better in a front two plus loads of wingers and a midfield who don't really have the energy to play a 4-4-2 so to fit them all in is going to be difficult. It was a clever move to play 3 at the back and I think that will really benefit hall who can break forward with the ball into midfield and push the team higher up the pitch with a bit more security behind him. I wouldn't be surprised to see him try one of the wide players as a right wing back in the next few games.
Olly on 19:25 - Nov 29 with 966 viewsDannytheR

Olly on 14:19 - Nov 29 by daveB

I think the problem is we have Cherry who plays best as a number 10 and a set of strikers who work better in a front two plus loads of wingers and a midfield who don't really have the energy to play a 4-4-2 so to fit them all in is going to be difficult. It was a clever move to play 3 at the back and I think that will really benefit hall who can break forward with the ball into midfield and push the team higher up the pitch with a bit more security behind him. I wouldn't be surprised to see him try one of the wide players as a right wing back in the next few games.

Agree that 3 at the back looks like a bit of a potential masterstroke given the squad, but even that also seems a hostage to fortune:

1. On the left, it's going to work far better with Robinson than Bidwell, who looks more like a left sided centre back to me than a wing back. Robinson on the other hand is tailor-made for it, but also sadly made of glass.

2. On the right, what we really need is Jamie Mackie circa 2011. In his absence, if it means seeing Perch for the rest of the season while Wszolek, Shodipo AND Ngbakoto all warm the bench, that takes the smile right off my face.

3. If we've got 3 at the back with Hall pushing on into the centre of midfield, we really, really don't need to have 2 destroyers starting there as well. And even if we do, neither of them need to be Karl Henry.
[Post edited 29 Nov 2016 19:26]
Olly on 20:13 - Nov 29 with 942 viewsHunterhoop

Olly on 19:25 - Nov 29 by DannytheR

Agree that 3 at the back looks like a bit of a potential masterstroke given the squad, but even that also seems a hostage to fortune:

1. On the left, it's going to work far better with Robinson than Bidwell, who looks more like a left sided centre back to me than a wing back. Robinson on the other hand is tailor-made for it, but also sadly made of glass.

2. On the right, what we really need is Jamie Mackie circa 2011. In his absence, if it means seeing Perch for the rest of the season while Wszolek, Shodipo AND Ngbakoto all warm the bench, that takes the smile right off my face.

3. If we've got 3 at the back with Hall pushing on into the centre of midfield, we really, really don't need to have 2 destroyers starting there as well. And even if we do, neither of them need to be Karl Henry.
[Post edited 29 Nov 2016 19:26]

Agree with all this, Danny.

I really think Wszolek is the dog's b*llocks and, if Ollie wants to be truly bullish about how we're going to play, he should make it a 3-5-2, as opposed to a 5-3-2...which means playing Wszolek or Kakay on the right and playing Robinson or Shodipo on the left.
The 3 CMs should be Chery and Luongo plus AN OTHER. We all want to see Cousins work out and be the player we thought we'd signed but he's in poor nick and I'm not convinced he's very good.
Olly on 20:26 - Nov 29 with 933 viewsdaveB

Olly on 20:13 - Nov 29 by Hunterhoop

Agree with all this, Danny.

I really think Wszolek is the dog's b*llocks and, if Ollie wants to be truly bullish about how we're going to play, he should make it a 3-5-2, as opposed to a 5-3-2...which means playing Wszolek or Kakay on the right and playing Robinson or Shodipo on the left.
The 3 CMs should be Chery and Luongo plus AN OTHER. We all want to see Cousins work out and be the player we thought we'd signed but he's in poor nick and I'm not convinced he's very good.

I think he was forced into playing Henry on saturday with Luongo out, Sandro's inability to last a game and Ariel having family problems. I think when everyone is available then Henry on't start many games but as JFH found out it's rare that the better options are available,

Would agree with Hunter I'd like to see Wszolek get a go at right wing back but can see why he has gone with Perch early on
Olly on 20:37 - Nov 29 with 914 viewsHunterhoop

Olly on 20:26 - Nov 29 by daveB

I think he was forced into playing Henry on saturday with Luongo out, Sandro's inability to last a game and Ariel having family problems. I think when everyone is available then Henry on't start many games but as JFH found out it's rare that the better options are available,

Would agree with Hunter I'd like to see Wszolek get a go at right wing back but can see why he has gone with Perch early on

Yeah, this team on Thurs would be ace.

Smithies

Onouha
Hall
Lynch

Wszolek
Luongo
Borysiuk
Chery
Shodipo

Washington
Polter

Although, I'll accept Bidwell is far more likely to play on the left.
Olly on 23:29 - Nov 29 with 863 viewsdaveB

Olly on 20:37 - Nov 29 by Hunterhoop

Smithies

Onouha
Hall
Lynch

Wszolek
Luongo
Borysiuk
Chery
Shodipo

Washington
Polter

I'd be surprised if he goes that attacking but with Bidwell back on the left he can probably afford to go more attacking on the right
Olly on 23:38 - Nov 29 with 857 viewsPunteR

Olly on 20:37 - Nov 29 by Hunterhoop

Smithies

Onouha
Hall
Lynch

Wszolek
Luongo
Borysiuk
Chery
Shodipo

Washington
Polter

Like it.

I dont think Holloway has much to lose(apart from football matches obviously) by being more attacking and going for it. . Lets face it JFH lost his job playing more reservedly.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Olly on 00:21 - Nov 30 with 838 viewsHooped_Pullie

Incredible to think that Holloway lasted five and a half years during his previous spell as manager.

Mostly good years, too, though it took him a while to get going and the end was messy, to say the least.

He deserves all the time and chances that JFH had this time round, probably plenty more besides but there's a limit to patience everywhere these days - certainly more so than in the early 2000's.

I have a feeling we won't see as little progress as we did with JFH - given time, we may not turn into world beaters BUT I expect a team that cares & entertains, maybe this season, certainly next.
Olly on 08:23 - Dec 1 with 744 viewsCopenranger

Olly on 14:19 - Nov 29 by daveB

Thanks, that makes sense!
Was wondering if it had to do with bad attitudes etc. We've seen enough of that previously.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024