Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Went on the Jamie Mackie stadium tour last night 09:08 - Feb 16 with 2703 viewslondonscottish

Went on the Jamie Mackie stadium tour last night and it worth worth every penny.

Jamie himself was brilliant but I wasn't surprised after hearing him on the recent Loftcast (on the offish) and having met him at the Fanzone back in October IIRC.

I was sort of expecting a short tour which ended up in the club shop along the lines of "we've given you access to a player now give us access to your wallets" and I couldn't have been more wrong.

Firstly the whole event was about raising money for QPR in the community. Secondly Mackie and the tour regulars (John and Allan I think) were all brilliant. Nothing was too much trouble for them, no question too trivial.

Mackie himself talked about loads of stuff over a 90 minute period. 90 minutes. This is a guy with loads of money, a wife and kids and plenty of other things to be doing on a Wednesday night but he chose to serve the club and talk to fans. What a pro. And what a fan.

Obviously there was a lot of talk of the first promotion season, the dressing room and the usual suspects (Dezza, still a very good mate, has encouraged Mackie to do his badges). Clint - "a really underrated footballer". Helguson (in that for first time since then we've got a similar player in Smith).

In terms of his early career he didn't come through the academy route rather played at school them for his local team on Saturdays and got picked from there and offered his first pro contract. Was massively grateful for that and proceeded to work his nuts off (a constant Mackie refrain). Crucially he kept a focus on football through his late teens when many of his mates got distracted by other stuff. That and that made a big difference. Easy to say, very very hard to do.

In terms of where he plays he said he didn't mind. Not an out and out striker but will chip in. Happy to play centrally. Happy to play behind a Helguson or Smith. Happy to play out wide. Prides himself on his versatility, flexibility, ability to play in any system for any manager.

In terms of the recent signings talked very positively about Pav, Smith, Goss and Freeman. I asked him the QPR Podcast question "who would win a marathon you or Wszolek?" and he just looked at me wide eyed and said that Pav would just beast him. Talked up Pav's attitude, skills (key player for Poland) willingness to fit in despite his lack of English.

In terms of youth was full of praise for Mannning's attitude, ability, maturity, I'm sure he sees a young version of himself in some ways there.

When we were in the dressing room he was talking about the tactics board and setting up against other teams. I asked the old question about tactics in the Champ vs Prem and he said it was easier in the champ in that there are fewer variations - in the Prem it could be Burnley one week and Man City the next.

He was also asked what the difference was on the pitch and he talked about the need for increased speed in either box allied with a slower pace in midfield. About the need to carve open a defence, not just benefit from someone else's mistake. Said Holloway was trying to get them play with a "Premier League" mindset.

Was asked about gaffers. Said both Warnock and Olly are motivators but that Olly is bigger in tactics - esp in the use of video replays. Was asked about Birch and says it's great to have him around as he gets the club and sets the bar high in terms of attitude and responsibility (and said it would have been good to have Clint around for the same reason). Also said that he believes that Fleming is the perfect third member of the coaching team.

And a big shout out to the kitman (again). LOL everyone loves and is slightly scared of the kitman. He's been there 18 years and in that period he's apparently worked under 37 managers. Although 27 of them were probably when Tango and Cash were there.

Was asked about Harlington. Yes it could be a bit better and if it was that might attract the odd player but it's not an excuse for not producing. Jamie doesn't do excuses.

Was asked about who his best mate was and it's Jack Robinson as they bonded, ironically, in the treatment rooms as they've both been suffering long term injuries. Is gutted for Robinson but was encouraged that he's being eased back in a recent U23 game.

So there you go. Shame there wasn't a Clive, a NeilSi or an Antti there who could ask some "proper" football questions but it was still an interesting and wide ranging debate. I asked him if he was up for an interview by the likes of Clive or the QPR Podcast and he said yes so maybe that will happen and more people can hear the man talk - meanwhile you can hear a lot of similar sentiments from him on the Loftcast on the offish. He also said that the latest one is Ryan Manning and is worth listening to.

So what a great night it was thanks to Andy Evans, Mackie, the two regular tour hosts and the wider club. No hard sell; just people who love what they do and who want to share that with the fans.

Makes me really proud and grateful to be a tiny part of it.

UUUUrrrrrrsssss!

[Post edited 16 Feb 2017 9:11]

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Went on the Jamie Mackie stadium tour last night on 09:57 - Feb 16 with 2596 viewsfrancisbowles

Thanks for this LondonScottish. Nice positive post about the club.
Went on the Jamie Mackie stadium tour last night on 10:00 - Feb 16 with 2581 viewsrobith

Thanks for taking the time to write that up.

While we're still a bit of a mess on the pitch, the improvements off it in the last two years particularly in how the club acts, what the players do and how they interact with fans has improved immeasurably
Went on the Jamie Mackie stadium tour last night on 10:33 - Feb 16 with 2510 viewslondonscottish

Went on the Jamie Mackie stadium tour last night on 09:57 - Feb 16 by francisbowles

Thanks for this LondonScottish. Nice positive post about the club.

Thanks, you're welcome.

Went on the Jamie Mackie stadium tour last night on 10:35 - Feb 16 with 2505 viewswelwynranger

Jamie Mackie lasted 90mins . I don't believe it
Went on the Jamie Mackie stadium tour last night on 10:44 - Feb 16 with 2478 viewslondonscottish

Went on the Jamie Mackie stadium tour last night on 10:00 - Feb 16 by robith

Thanks for taking the time to write that up.

While we're still a bit of a mess on the pitch, the improvements off it in the last two years particularly in how the club acts, what the players do and how they interact with fans has improved immeasurably

I woke up and decided to just do a brain dump before I forgot it all.

I'm between jobs hence having the time to do and the time to write it up.

I do have a final interview on Monday, though and am supposed to be preparing for that

The wife wandered into the room and saw my typing and thought I was being very diligent. I was, just not doing what she thought.

Other things I remembered.

I asked him what Cisse was like to work with. He said they had plenty of mutual respect on the pitch although after work he'd normally go to the gym or play a round of golf so "our social lives didn't really overlap". LOL Said Cisse was a true one-of-a-kind, ploughing his own furrow through life.

That led onto a discussion about Diakite. Mackie said he had "all the tools in the locker" but somehow, sadly, had "lost his way somehow". "Sometimes that happens and it's a great shame".

Favourite goal; the winner against Liverpool. Told him we'd all piled down to the C&S afterwards to watch the full replay and we sang all the chants all over again and he said that if he'd known he'd have come down.

I got him to sign my son't 2012 Arsenal home game programme instead, though, and he remembered his assist to Diakite for the winner.

And that is that.

Back to preparing for the interview......

Went on the Jamie Mackie stadium tour last night on 10:47 - Feb 16 with 2465 viewsrobith

Best of luck with the interview fella!
Went on the Jamie Mackie stadium tour last night on 10:53 - Feb 16 with 2451 viewslondonscottish

Went on the Jamie Mackie stadium tour last night on 10:47 - Feb 16 by robith

Best of luck with the interview fella!

Thanks. Time for a bit of Mackie-like focus and graft :-)

Went on the Jamie Mackie stadium tour last night on 11:09 - Feb 16 with 2407 viewsChunkyfenwick

I too would like to go on a tour of "The Jamie Mackie Stadium"
Login to get fewer ads

Went on the Jamie Mackie stadium tour last night on 11:11 - Feb 16 with 2396 viewsAntti_Heinola

Fantastic report mate, thanks!

Bare bones.

Went on the Jamie Mackie stadium tour last night on 11:45 - Feb 16 with 2315 viewsTacticalR

I was very impressed with Mackie's interview on Loftcast. He seems to have undergone quite a transformation. Gone are all the footballing clichés of a few years ago - he's developed into a natural and articulate speaker.

I saw Mackie playing for Forest against Charlton when he was at quite a low ebb, and I honestly wondered if would ever be himself again, yet he's come back and knows how to create problems for the opposition.

I hope he's playing on Saturday as he could help us get over the line against exactly the kind of team that we've had trouble beating all season.

Air hostess clique

Went on the Jamie Mackie stadium tour last night on 11:51 - Feb 16 with 2301 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Thanks LS.

Best of luck with the interview.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Went on the Jamie Mackie stadium tour last night on 12:13 - Feb 16 with 2259 viewslondonscottish

Went on the Jamie Mackie stadium tour last night on 11:09 - Feb 16 by Chunkyfenwick

I too would like to go on a tour of "The Jamie Mackie Stadium"

I'm very much looking forward to the Jamie Mackie stadium.

Unfortunately construction is is not scheduled to start until the new training ground is completed so we could be in for a bit of a wait.

(the actual tour was called "The Icon Stadium Tour with Jamie Mackie" which is a bit of a mouthful TBH)

Went on the Jamie Mackie stadium tour last night on 12:15 - Feb 16 with 2254 viewsOakR

Thanks, that was a good read.

Poll: Will we stay up?

Went on the Jamie Mackie stadium tour last night on 12:38 - Feb 16 with 2201 viewsmikeygunn

Thanks for the write up & good luck for the job!
Went on the Jamie Mackie stadium tour last night on 12:47 - Feb 16 with 2173 viewsYorkRanger

Enjoyed reading that write up, thx for taking the time out to do it.
Went on the Jamie Mackie stadium tour last night on 13:40 - Feb 16 with 2074 viewsTGRRRSSS

Anyone else think if Taarabt had the attitude of Mackie he really would be playing for the sort of side he think's he ought too???...

Glad you had a good night sounds a class act, well done too all at the club.
Went on the Jamie Mackie stadium tour last night on 14:22 - Feb 16 with 1997 viewsspencer

Went on the Jamie Mackie stadium tour last night on 10:53 - Feb 16 by londonscottish

Thanks. Time for a bit of Mackie-like focus and graft :-)

Hi Mate, I just started a thread about the same subject...Only yours was much better than mine.

Also went last night(belated present)...would not have gone, had it not been for Jamie Mackie speaking. No offence...but half an hour round the stadium would have been enough. Apart from the Mittals Executive box..which was nice....

Totally agree with all your comments about JM. Was also chatting to him, on way to media room. Was full or praise for Matt Smith and all the youngsters coming into club. We were chatting about the atmosphere and how it has gone down a bit...He agreed although atmosphere has gone down abit, he feels its the players responsibilities to get the crowd going by performing better on the pitch ( He referred back to the 3-2 win over Liverpool...).

Really nice bloke...knows his short comings as a player....loves the fans.

Only down side....If I had the correct change in my pocket, I would have won the raffle ...but she could break a tenner ...so she had to come back to me
Went on the Jamie Mackie stadium tour last night on 14:30 - Feb 16 with 1971 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Did anyone ask him if he'd received an email from Warnock when he left in 2012?

Sounds a decent lad.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Went on the Jamie Mackie stadium tour last night on 17:29 - Feb 16 with 1815 viewsChunkyfenwick

Agreed, Jamie Mackie seems like a really nice guy and seems to have been bitten by the R's bug.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2017 17:30]
Went on the Jamie Mackie stadium tour last night on 20:08 - Feb 16 with 1650 viewslondonscottish

Went on the Jamie Mackie stadium tour last night on 14:22 - Feb 16 by spencer

Hi Mate, I just started a thread about the same subject...Only yours was much better than mine.

Also went last night(belated present)...would not have gone, had it not been for Jamie Mackie speaking. No offence...but half an hour round the stadium would have been enough. Apart from the Mittals Executive box..which was nice....

Totally agree with all your comments about JM. Was also chatting to him, on way to media room. Was full or praise for Matt Smith and all the youngsters coming into club. We were chatting about the atmosphere and how it has gone down a bit...He agreed although atmosphere has gone down abit, he feels its the players responsibilities to get the crowd going by performing better on the pitch ( He referred back to the 3-2 win over Liverpool...).

Really nice bloke...knows his short comings as a player....loves the fans.

Only down side....If I had the correct change in my pocket, I would have won the raffle ...but she could break a tenner ...so she had to come back to me

Good to hear somebody else from here was there.

I was going to ask on here before I went but I was worried I was going to sound like a bit of a trainspotter/stalker.

It was totally Mackie that made me get the tickets but I did also have a good gas with the regular tour fellas and I genuinely want to go back for a match day tour now.

Bummer about the shirt. My boy really really wanted that too! He stared going as a 5 or 6 yr old when Mackie was first playing.

Went on the Jamie Mackie stadium tour last night on 21:23 - Feb 16 with 1590 viewsFredManRave

Went on the Jamie Mackie stadium tour last night on 11:11 - Feb 16 by Antti_Heinola

Fantastic report mate, thanks!

Of course you'd say that having been namechecked in it!

But yeah, as has been said, thanks for the report londonscottish. A good read.

Now go and get that job...

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024