Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New CBs? 14:44 - May 2 with 8645 viewsJigsore

Saw Ryan Bennett is going to be released this summer by Norwich. 27 is a decent age. Thoughts? Anyone else you're eyeing up?

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

New CBs? on 15:10 - May 5 with 2325 viewsDevonWhite

New CBs? on 15:01 - May 5 by Northernr

Bassong?!

A wind up, surely.
New CBs? on 15:34 - May 5 with 2302 viewspaulparker

New CBs? on 15:10 - May 5 by DevonWhite

A wind up, surely.

Nope

is he better than Caulker, Perch and Lynch and the answer is Yes he is

also why not Jansen at Leeds

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

New CBs? on 15:37 - May 5 with 2292 viewsNorthernr

New CBs? on 15:34 - May 5 by paulparker

Nope

is he better than Caulker, Perch and Lynch and the answer is Yes he is

also why not Jansen at Leeds

He's absolutely not better than any of those three, which is why Norwich's defensive record is so appalling and why they're releasing him on a free.I honestly cannot believe you've even suggested this as anything other than a wind up.

From our Norwich season ticket holder in this week’s interview

“The less said about the hapless Sebastian Bassong, the better.”

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/45615/goals-don%E2%

Some further glowing reports here. Relegated seven times apparently.

http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/the-unlucky-seven-john-ruddy-will-be-missed-b

If you're referring to Jansson at Leeds, who just got in the division's team of the season, I'm not sure why they'd be in a rush to sell a player they bought for in excess of £3m just four months ago, nor that we'd be able to afford him given he's been brilliant for them this season and his value will therefore have gone up.

This post has been edited by an administrator
New CBs? on 15:51 - May 5 with 2260 viewspaulparker

New CBs? on 15:37 - May 5 by Northernr

He's absolutely not better than any of those three, which is why Norwich's defensive record is so appalling and why they're releasing him on a free.I honestly cannot believe you've even suggested this as anything other than a wind up.

From our Norwich season ticket holder in this week’s interview

“The less said about the hapless Sebastian Bassong, the better.”

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/45615/goals-don%E2%

Some further glowing reports here. Relegated seven times apparently.

http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/the-unlucky-seven-john-ruddy-will-be-missed-b

If you're referring to Jansson at Leeds, who just got in the division's team of the season, I'm not sure why they'd be in a rush to sell a player they bought for in excess of £3m just four months ago, nor that we'd be able to afford him given he's been brilliant for them this season and his value will therefore have gone up.

This post has been edited by an administrator

so you think Perch and Lynch are better than Bassong or that Bassong on a free wouldn't be more reliable or even an option in case of injures for the waste of space caulker ?
also wasn't Crystal palaces record poor when we got Hill , wasn't palace fans laughing at us when we signed him , wasn't people laughing at us when we signed Nelson
depends on our budget , but he may be the back up that we need it may work or it may not but even on his worse days he is better than perch

Jansen maybe a bit pie in the sky i actually thought he was still on loan from Torino, but yeah 4 million plus is well out of our price range

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

New CBs? on 15:58 - May 5 with 2245 viewsNorthernr

New CBs? on 15:51 - May 5 by paulparker

so you think Perch and Lynch are better than Bassong or that Bassong on a free wouldn't be more reliable or even an option in case of injures for the waste of space caulker ?
also wasn't Crystal palaces record poor when we got Hill , wasn't palace fans laughing at us when we signed him , wasn't people laughing at us when we signed Nelson
depends on our budget , but he may be the back up that we need it may work or it may not but even on his worse days he is better than perch

Jansen maybe a bit pie in the sky i actually thought he was still on loan from Torino, but yeah 4 million plus is well out of our price range

You should probably quit this one while he's miles behind. Yes I think perch and Lynch are better than Bassong. They're both better than Bassong on their absolute worst days. No I don't think Bassong would be more reliable than Caulker.

I'm not dignifying the Crystal Palace and Hill comparison with an answer, Bassong isn't fit to wash Hill's car - but no, actually, their record wasn't that bad when we signed him, they'd been pushing for the play-offs halfway through the previous season but went bankrupt, got docked points and lost Warnock.

Bassong is a terrible, terrible player. Wrong side of 30. Relegated on seven separate occasions. Ask around on Sunday, you won't find a single Norwich fan with a single good word to say about him. Read their forums.
New CBs? on 16:08 - May 5 with 2222 viewsLblock

I'd be a better option than kamakhazi Perch or never available Caulker; I do still hope Jo Lynch can come good (just so we can get the Joleyne chant if nothing else)

I always thought Bassong was alright but I'll defer to others on that.
CB's all well and good but I still think it's FB's we need to be looking at. I do think Furz Mk II has a future and I'd be fine with him as first choice but LB is an issue. Will Robbo make double figures?? If not then we need a better player there than Bidwell

I do think Cilla will be gone. Ollies recent comments about him saying he wasn't fit to play last game is his death knell. Shame as he's a goal threat and I was hoping he'd kick on next season. Goals are difficult to find / replace

Interesting times ahead.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

New CBs? on 16:12 - May 5 with 2221 viewsNorthernr

New CBs? on 16:08 - May 5 by Lblock

I'd be a better option than kamakhazi Perch or never available Caulker; I do still hope Jo Lynch can come good (just so we can get the Joleyne chant if nothing else)

I always thought Bassong was alright but I'll defer to others on that.
CB's all well and good but I still think it's FB's we need to be looking at. I do think Furz Mk II has a future and I'd be fine with him as first choice but LB is an issue. Will Robbo make double figures?? If not then we need a better player there than Bidwell

I do think Cilla will be gone. Ollies recent comments about him saying he wasn't fit to play last game is his death knell. Shame as he's a goal threat and I was hoping he'd kick on next season. Goals are difficult to find / replace

Interesting times ahead.

I don't like Holloway throwing Sylla under the bus (again). Strikers are expensive and his goals per game ratio is good, despite his obvious drawbacks.
New CBs? on 04:23 - May 6 with 2097 viewsjoolsyp

Tim Parker - Vancouver Whitecaps (MLS). Watched him a lot this season. An absolute rock at the back and a leader. Not the quickest but positionally excellent. Has recently been called up to the US squad. Reminds me of a younger Ryan Nelson.

Wish the club would look at him but probably unlikely.
Login to get fewer ads

New CBs? on 16:22 - May 7 with 1973 viewsTGRRRSSS

He could be the Project for the club to "break into the US Market" perhaps...

On a serious note, no to Bassong if he's being released by Norwich no from me, he's 30, and an African international which means he'll be disappearing for a while if Cameroon qualify for the next African Cup of Nations (sure they will).
Not sure when the next one is by either way.

Sure there are some very decent players about who will be better value in every way, a 25 year old would be ideal.
New CBs? on 21:13 - May 7 with 1901 viewsBromleyHoop

I've just seen the highlights on Channel 5 of our game today. You'd go a long way to see a more inept display of defending from our two Central defenders. Having the benefits of Sky+ and being a complete Masochist I watched each goal several times in slo-mo. They committed every sin in the feckin book; being ridiculously out of position, not goal side, turning their backs, not tackling, watching attackers run in on goal like a spectator, there was no sense that they were a defensive unit at all. Embarrassing. Lynch and Perch should be sold, if anyone would be stupid enough to take them and, only in the interests of some continuity, Onouha should stay as a squad player.

We missed Hall today who would have picked up Pritchard who had the freedom of the park all day playing between our 'lines'.

I'd say we need at least 3 new defenders.

Poll: Who is your player of the season

New CBs? on 21:20 - May 7 with 1881 viewspaulparker

New CBs? on 15:58 - May 5 by Northernr

You should probably quit this one while he's miles behind. Yes I think perch and Lynch are better than Bassong. They're both better than Bassong on their absolute worst days. No I don't think Bassong would be more reliable than Caulker.

I'm not dignifying the Crystal Palace and Hill comparison with an answer, Bassong isn't fit to wash Hill's car - but no, actually, their record wasn't that bad when we signed him, they'd been pushing for the play-offs halfway through the previous season but went bankrupt, got docked points and lost Warnock.

Bassong is a terrible, terrible player. Wrong side of 30. Relegated on seven separate occasions. Ask around on Sunday, you won't find a single Norwich fan with a single good word to say about him. Read their forums.

caulker more reliable than Bassong

New CBs? on 13:09 - May 8 with 1822 viewssimmo

New CBs? on 21:13 - May 7 by BromleyHoop

I've just seen the highlights on Channel 5 of our game today. You'd go a long way to see a more inept display of defending from our two Central defenders. Having the benefits of Sky+ and being a complete Masochist I watched each goal several times in slo-mo. They committed every sin in the feckin book; being ridiculously out of position, not goal side, turning their backs, not tackling, watching attackers run in on goal like a spectator, there was no sense that they were a defensive unit at all. Embarrassing. Lynch and Perch should be sold, if anyone would be stupid enough to take them and, only in the interests of some continuity, Onouha should stay as a squad player.

We missed Hall today who would have picked up Pritchard who had the freedom of the park all day playing between our 'lines'.

I'd say we need at least 3 new defenders.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge the likes of Onuoha based on Channel 5's 15 second highlights. From people at the game I heard it was often the Norwich team against our CB's and given the circumstances they performed quite well. Chief especially has been really solid and often the outstranding player/defender in a lot of the games I have been to in recent months.

Defence is without question an issue though that we need to resolve, the lack of clean sheets is appaling and it took the best keeper in the league to play in the form of his life to provide the little credibility they came out with. The first thing I would do is pick a settled back 4 with the onus on defending, that includes the full backs who support the wingers rather than having to be the wingers - the way we've hung Bidwell out to dry under Holloway is shocking.

Pick Furlong - Chief - Hall - Bidwell and get proper players in front of them to support, meaning hard working wingers or a tactically disciplined CM (if that's going to be Hall, then buy a nasty defender that can head a ball). Coach them and make sure they defend 1st and foremost like the back 4 did under Warnock. We don't need wholesale changes IMO, we need to add 1 CB and maybe a back up RB

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

New CBs? on 13:20 - May 8 with 1802 viewsDannytheR

New CBs? on 13:09 - May 8 by simmo

I wouldn't be so quick to judge the likes of Onuoha based on Channel 5's 15 second highlights. From people at the game I heard it was often the Norwich team against our CB's and given the circumstances they performed quite well. Chief especially has been really solid and often the outstranding player/defender in a lot of the games I have been to in recent months.

Defence is without question an issue though that we need to resolve, the lack of clean sheets is appaling and it took the best keeper in the league to play in the form of his life to provide the little credibility they came out with. The first thing I would do is pick a settled back 4 with the onus on defending, that includes the full backs who support the wingers rather than having to be the wingers - the way we've hung Bidwell out to dry under Holloway is shocking.

Pick Furlong - Chief - Hall - Bidwell and get proper players in front of them to support, meaning hard working wingers or a tactically disciplined CM (if that's going to be Hall, then buy a nasty defender that can head a ball). Coach them and make sure they defend 1st and foremost like the back 4 did under Warnock. We don't need wholesale changes IMO, we need to add 1 CB and maybe a back up RB

Whatever happens at CB, the thing we've surely learned in the last two or three weeks is that the "dream midfield" of Luongo, Manning and Freeman is a non-starter - it leaves the defence completely overrun. Even if we get the CB situation right, we can't spend a whole season like the last half hour of the Wembley play off.

If he stays, Holloway may well continue finding new and interesting ways to find space for them all, but any rational approach is surely going to have to accept you can't have all three of them in the starting line up. And in fact, if we want a bit of width, with the occasional cross into the box and the fullbacks not left horribly exposed, we can really only have one alongside a defensive midfielder like Hall or Cousins.

I'm guilty myself of getting carried away seeing some really promising, livewire players in the middle of the park for the first time in years, but right now it seems to have caused as many problems as it solved. I suppose this is Rangers we're talking about...
New CBs? on 13:28 - May 8 with 1784 viewspaulparker

New CBs? on 13:20 - May 8 by DannytheR

Whatever happens at CB, the thing we've surely learned in the last two or three weeks is that the "dream midfield" of Luongo, Manning and Freeman is a non-starter - it leaves the defence completely overrun. Even if we get the CB situation right, we can't spend a whole season like the last half hour of the Wembley play off.

If he stays, Holloway may well continue finding new and interesting ways to find space for them all, but any rational approach is surely going to have to accept you can't have all three of them in the starting line up. And in fact, if we want a bit of width, with the occasional cross into the box and the fullbacks not left horribly exposed, we can really only have one alongside a defensive midfielder like Hall or Cousins.

I'm guilty myself of getting carried away seeing some really promising, livewire players in the middle of the park for the first time in years, but right now it seems to have caused as many problems as it solved. I suppose this is Rangers we're talking about...

it would help if we knew what system we would be playing and then buy the players accordingly , but manning, luango and Freeman do not suit a 4-4-2

New CBs? on 13:29 - May 8 with 1780 viewsBromleyHoop

New CBs? on 13:09 - May 8 by simmo

I was at the game

Poll: Who is your player of the season

New CBs? on 13:40 - May 8 with 1758 viewslave16

New CBs? on 13:29 - May 8 by BromleyHoop

I was at the game

any chance we could pick up charlie mulgrew from blackburn
Nathan Byrne of wigan was highly touted as well at one stage

Poll: Are we gonna make the play offs?

New CBs? on 14:30 - May 8 with 1738 viewsDannytheR

If we do want a new CB or three this summer, we could do worse than look at Murray Wallace - Scottish lad who plays for Scunthorpe, tall and loud and with a bit of the Clint Hills about his attitude. Meant to have been very, very good for them this season and with them missing out on the play off final, you would think someone in the Championship will be in for him this summer.
New CBs? on 14:37 - May 8 with 1726 viewssimmo

New CBs? on 14:30 - May 8 by DannytheR

If we do want a new CB or three this summer, we could do worse than look at Murray Wallace - Scottish lad who plays for Scunthorpe, tall and loud and with a bit of the Clint Hills about his attitude. Meant to have been very, very good for them this season and with them missing out on the play off final, you would think someone in the Championship will be in for him this summer.

Of course that may be a shrewd signing for someone but I have seen Scunny play 3 times this season and their defence has been by far and away the worst part of the team. Comical at times and yesterday made Steve fckin Morrison look like 90's Paul Gascoigne.

I also think you could play the 3 of Manning, Luongo and Freeman in midfield, but have one or both of the former sitting a little deeper and pushing Freeman up. With full backs tucked in and not having to be wingers, we could afford to give the midfield more freedom.

New CBs? on 14:51 - May 8 with 1717 viewsDannytheR

New CBs? on 14:37 - May 8 by simmo

Of course that may be a shrewd signing for someone but I have seen Scunny play 3 times this season and their defence has been by far and away the worst part of the team. Comical at times and yesterday made Steve fckin Morrison look like 90's Paul Gascoigne.

I also think you could play the 3 of Manning, Luongo and Freeman in midfield, but have one or both of the former sitting a little deeper and pushing Freeman up. With full backs tucked in and not having to be wingers, we could afford to give the midfield more freedom.

Bow to your superior knowledge of the Scunny back four in that case. Clearly the occasion did get to them a bit yesterday, to put it (very) politely.

I just think however you arrange them, all 3 of them play better when Hall is behind them - especially when he was playing in front of the back 4, rather than as part of a back 5.

If he's playing as part of the midfield, you can't fit the other 3 in without sacrificing every inch of width and exposing the full backs. And if he's playing as part of a back 3, we need wing backs, which we don't have.

I think what you're talking about is a 4-4-1-1, right? Which is sort of getting there I know, but I'd worry about Luongo and Manning on their own in the centre, and while Freeman is obviously a talented player, I'm not sure he's suited to playing that Taaraabt-ish/off the striker role. Not to mention that we'd basically be coming back full circle to the same formation Hasselbaink played, which was widely seen back then as part of the problem.
New CBs? on 14:58 - May 8 with 1705 viewssimmo

Not superior knowledge by any means, but always been surprised that they have done so well in the league when I watch their defending...

"I just think however you arrange them, all 3 of them play better when Hall is behind them - especially when he was playing in front of the back 4, rather than as part of a back 5."

Yeah I agree think you get the most out of Luongo and Manning especially with Hall behind them. Personally I would play Hall behind those two and put Freeman on the left. He's left footed, puts in a great cross, works hard, doesn't shirk his defensive duties and can beat a man. As you say we haven't got the full backs to play narrow and it discounts the likes of Wzsolek which is ridiculous as he's great
[Post edited 8 May 2017 15:01]

New CBs? on 17:43 - May 9 with 1616 viewsfrancisbowles

New CBs? on 13:40 - May 8 by lave16

any chance we could pick up charlie mulgrew from blackburn
Nathan Byrne of wigan was highly touted as well at one stage

Dangerous game buying players who have just been relegated. Some of them turn into serial droppers and take you down as well. We have been down this road before with Leroy Fer and I think one or two others although I can't remember who?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024