Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Construction industry 08:46 - Mar 5 with 7765 viewsPunteR

Anyone else in it and finding things a bit too quiet at the mo.?
Hopefully pick up again in the summer as per.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Construction industry on 11:29 - Mar 5 with 2225 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Construction industry on 11:20 - Mar 5 by BostonR

There is a huge pool of investors ready to "spend" but it will not be in the UK. Investment money is pouring out of the UK to safe spaces. A lot of that is our private pension pots, so I can understand the rationale.

In my view 2019/20 will be very tight across the capital investment landscape. It is going to get very tough post-Brexit.

Opinions vary massively on your last paragraph but to be fair you did say in your opinion.

Others say the uncertainty is what is currently holding back Capital Investment and once some clarity is established this should start to flow through.
Construction industry on 11:29 - Mar 5 with 2224 viewsBostonR

Construction industry on 11:26 - Mar 5 by CroydonCaptJack

I agree but the cost of the land it an issue for this.

Social housing does not yield high-returns to developers/investors. The Government needs to step into that space but a Tory government do not see social housing as an important issue - it's politics!
Construction industry on 11:44 - Mar 5 with 2178 viewsPhildo

I am a property lawyer and things are very slow in London and residential prices are tumbling in a way I haven't seen before. Good for some but not great for recent buyers with mortgages. A lot of smaller residential landlords have sold up as a result of tax refief changes and worries about future rent controls so there must be less rental stock overall.

My Mrs is a tax lawyer and she thinks there has been a lot of unseen capital flight already more to do with the wealthy being worried about a post brexit Corbyn government introducing exchange controls than Brexit itself.

I agree about the school fees thing - taxes that seem like good ideas can have very unexpected consequences.
Construction industry on 11:51 - Mar 5 with 2157 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Construction industry on 11:29 - Mar 5 by BostonR

Social housing does not yield high-returns to developers/investors. The Government needs to step into that space but a Tory government do not see social housing as an important issue - it's politics!

I agree.
Construction industry on 11:55 - Mar 5 with 2141 viewsBoston

Construction industry on 10:29 - Mar 5 by BazzaInTheLoft

Go on mate enlighten me.

True enlightenment is only discovered by experience, Grasshopper.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Construction industry on 12:25 - Mar 5 with 2101 viewsted_hendrix

Construction industry on 09:56 - Mar 5 by PunteR

I havnt worked on big sites for big companies subbing for years. If things dont pick up i might have to sign up for an agency and get myself on one.

Wombat (Will) who posts on here occasionally and whom I used to know quite well Manages a large construction agency company, I haven't got his number anymore as I had to hand my company mobile back when I retired, he was always looking for blokes to get on the books, possibly send him a PM via this MB?
You'll need a current CSCS card as a minimum (assuming you've got one anyway).
As handover was approaching we were always bringing in 'finishing' agency tradesmen albeit the majority of the contracts I worked on were between £1 million right up to £190 million so I'm not sure what your carpenter speciality is I got the impression it was roofing (might be wrong)

Hope things pick up for you mate.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Construction industry on 12:56 - Mar 5 with 2075 viewsPunteR

Construction industry on 12:25 - Mar 5 by ted_hendrix

Wombat (Will) who posts on here occasionally and whom I used to know quite well Manages a large construction agency company, I haven't got his number anymore as I had to hand my company mobile back when I retired, he was always looking for blokes to get on the books, possibly send him a PM via this MB?
You'll need a current CSCS card as a minimum (assuming you've got one anyway).
As handover was approaching we were always bringing in 'finishing' agency tradesmen albeit the majority of the contracts I worked on were between £1 million right up to £190 million so I'm not sure what your carpenter speciality is I got the impression it was roofing (might be wrong)

Hope things pick up for you mate.

Thanks Ted. Ive spoke with Will before on here a few years back now.. Im going to have to update my CSCS card as i havnt needed it for ages.
I do all aspects of carpentry from roofs to fitting kitchens. Mostly domestic but have done comercial stuff as well. I employ my son which im guessing makes agency work a little trickier. I'd have to speak to Will.
Anyway today ive managed to sort this week out and 3 days next. I'll see how it pans out. Hopefully this thread wont turn into another Brexit thread. Lol.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Construction industry on 11:06 - Mar 6 with 1884 viewsCFW

Construction industry on 09:33 - Mar 5 by BazzaInTheLoft

THIS IS A PARTY POLITICAL BROADCAST ON BEHALF OF THE LABOUR PARTY

'Labour will invest to build over a million new homes. By the end of the next Parliament, we will be building at least 100,000 council and housing association homes a year for genuinely affordable rent or sale'

https://labour.org.uk/manifesto/secure-homes-for-all/

'How will those spendthrift commie bastards pay for all this?' I hear you cry....

Brilliant - that has the construction of houses sorted. So where doest the money come from to pay for abolishing University fees, nationalising the railways and buying back the water companies??
Login to get fewer ads

Construction industry on 11:55 - Mar 6 with 1838 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Construction industry on 11:06 - Mar 6 by CFW

Brilliant - that has the construction of houses sorted. So where doest the money come from to pay for abolishing University fees, nationalising the railways and buying back the water companies??

Water & rail nationalization won't cost a penny because you just let their franchises run out.. If you are really ambitious you do what the German's and Dutch do and export your rail expertise to other gullible countries willing to pay for it and garner some more income that way

The National Education Service wil pay for itself eventually as everyone knows that people not burdened with debts will spend their money elsewhere in the economy, and a better educated workforce makes a better performing economy.

Or carry on as we are, slipping down the league tables of productive nations.
Construction industry on 12:22 - Mar 6 with 1814 viewsCFW

Construction industry on 11:55 - Mar 6 by BazzaInTheLoft

Water & rail nationalization won't cost a penny because you just let their franchises run out.. If you are really ambitious you do what the German's and Dutch do and export your rail expertise to other gullible countries willing to pay for it and garner some more income that way

The National Education Service wil pay for itself eventually as everyone knows that people not burdened with debts will spend their money elsewhere in the economy, and a better educated workforce makes a better performing economy.

Right - did not understand it was all so easy. So the education system pays for itself eventually? who pays for it before that happens and how long will that take?
Construction industry on 12:56 - Mar 6 with 1767 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Construction industry on 11:55 - Mar 6 by BazzaInTheLoft

I can't see how Rail won't cost a penny to be honest. I am actually in favour of it being Nationalised but to run an adequate service to all places would make losses I am pretty sure.
Construction industry on 12:58 - Mar 6 with 1764 viewsDavieQPR

Business and construction industry are cutting back and blaming Brexit because they are worried about losing cheap labour. Increased Corporation Tax will have the same effect as the increase on Business Rates. Firms going skint or drastically cutting back. Meaning less tax and more on benefits.
Construction industry on 14:24 - Mar 6 with 1724 viewsderbyhoop

Is this enough evidence

https://www.bbc.com/news/topics/cg3ndx3dxwvt/construction-industry

Manufacturing and the Services sector are also struggling - to different degrees. UK economy has every chance of being flat in Q1.
And, given the number of car manufacturer's putting things on hold, I'd expect the April figure for manufacturing PMI to show a substantial downturn.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Construction industry on 14:25 - Mar 6 with 1717 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Construction industry on 12:56 - Mar 6 by CroydonCaptJack

I can't see how Rail won't cost a penny to be honest. I am actually in favour of it being Nationalised but to run an adequate service to all places would make losses I am pretty sure.

Deutsch Bahn are owned by the German government and run some of our franchises such as Arriva and DB Cargo.

They made £40m profit last year and run the one of the cheapest and efficient rails services in the world in their own country.

Nationalisation isn't always profitable, but in the case of rail it's indisputable. British Rail was immensely profitable when it was folded up in '94.

If you are really interested here a video from the campaign campaign group 'We Own It' who work closely with my Trade Union. Obviously they are biased in outlook but the figures are all confirmed:

[Post edited 6 Mar 2019 14:30]
Construction industry on 15:15 - Mar 6 with 1668 viewsKonk

Construction industry on 14:25 - Mar 6 by BazzaInTheLoft

Deutsch Bahn are owned by the German government and run some of our franchises such as Arriva and DB Cargo.

They made £40m profit last year and run the one of the cheapest and efficient rails services in the world in their own country.

Nationalisation isn't always profitable, but in the case of rail it's indisputable. British Rail was immensely profitable when it was folded up in '94.

If you are really interested here a video from the campaign campaign group 'We Own It' who work closely with my Trade Union. Obviously they are biased in outlook but the figures are all confirmed:

[Post edited 6 Mar 2019 14:30]

I've always been impressed with inter-city rail trips in Germany, but this article from the Guardian seems to paint a rather different picture of Deutsche Bahn's performance:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/dec/20/trains-on-time-germans-deutsche-ba

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Construction industry on 15:39 - Mar 6 with 1646 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Construction industry on 15:15 - Mar 6 by Konk

I've always been impressed with inter-city rail trips in Germany, but this article from the Guardian seems to paint a rather different picture of Deutsche Bahn's performance:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/dec/20/trains-on-time-germans-deutsche-ba

Well that’s fair enough, but form is temporary as they say but ownership is permanent. My point about nationalisation remains the same.

It looks like this poor performance is a recent thing, and DB has existed and performed well a long time prior to 2018 in its various forms. A little bit like football clubs the current star of affairs does not determine the entire history. They still perform better than Thameslink and Southern Rail both of whom are privatised AND subsidised by taxpayers.

London Underground, my full time employers when I’m not ranting on LfW, were one of the best performing rail systems in the world by track miles and minutes late. They have their issues, but they are publically owned and about to be the first Metro system in the World to operate without a single penny of subsidies.

My point is I guess that while neither privatisation or nationalisation is a magic wand, at least nationalisation is the fairest and most community conscious way.

I’m not a communist, but I think services where people’s livelihoods and well being are at stake such as homes, water, health, education, and rail to name a few, the profit motive should be entirely removed. It’s all about safety nets.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2019 23:48]
Construction industry on 15:49 - Mar 6 with 1629 viewsKonk

Construction industry on 15:39 - Mar 6 by BazzaInTheLoft

Well that’s fair enough, but form is temporary as they say but ownership is permanent. My point about nationalisation remains the same.

It looks like this poor performance is a recent thing, and DB has existed and performed well a long time prior to 2018 in its various forms. A little bit like football clubs the current star of affairs does not determine the entire history. They still perform better than Thameslink and Southern Rail both of whom are privatised AND subsidised by taxpayers.

London Underground, my full time employers when I’m not ranting on LfW, were one of the best performing rail systems in the world by track miles and minutes late. They have their issues, but they are publically owned and about to be the first Metro system in the World to operate without a single penny of subsidies.

My point is I guess that while neither privatisation or nationalisation is a magic wand, at least nationalisation is the fairest and most community conscious way.

I’m not a communist, but I think services where people’s livelihoods and well being are at stake such as homes, water, health, education, and rail to name a few, the profit motive should be entirely removed. It’s all about safety nets.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2019 23:48]

I would nationalise the railways tomorrow. I'd also stick bus services back under local authority control. No disagreement from me on either, I just thought that was an interesting article, as the perception in the UK seems to be that the German railways are amongst the best in the world.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Construction industry on 16:03 - Mar 6 with 1623 viewsDavieQPR

Construction industry on 14:24 - Mar 6 by derbyhoop

Is this enough evidence

https://www.bbc.com/news/topics/cg3ndx3dxwvt/construction-industry

Manufacturing and the Services sector are also struggling - to different degrees. UK economy has every chance of being flat in Q1.
And, given the number of car manufacturer's putting things on hold, I'd expect the April figure for manufacturing PMI to show a substantial downturn.

What the Brexit Broadcasting Company? Weren't we going to crash and burn just after voting for Brexit?
Construction industry on 16:20 - Mar 6 with 1606 viewsderbyhoop

Construction industry on 16:03 - Mar 6 by DavieQPR

What the Brexit Broadcasting Company? Weren't we going to crash and burn just after voting for Brexit?

Reporting the respected Institute of Supply Management?
The Markit PMI monthly surveys are widely regarded by financial analysts.

You might not like the results but are you in any position to argue the content?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Construction industry on 17:39 - Mar 6 with 1568 viewsPlanetHonneywood

There’s a global slow down underway; and there’s a growing liquidity problem as well.

The problems that brought us down in 2008 haven’t really been rectified and as interest rates can’t get any lower; the Chinese have a few issues; and the drop in oil prices have hit the Arabs, so if it does all go to plop, God help us...probably why the big powers are posturing for a bit of a war - worked in the30s!!

Still, nothing three points on the weekend won’t solve.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Construction industry on 17:49 - Mar 6 with 1554 viewsBoston

And there’s me thinking the western world was only fifteen years away from mass unemployment anyway.

Construction industry on 17:51 - Mar 6 with 1551 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Construction industry on 17:49 - Mar 6 by Boston

And there’s me thinking the western world was only fifteen years away from mass unemployment anyway.

There is no sign of it here at the moment.
There has never been so many people in work apparently.
A strange paradox eh.
Construction industry on 17:56 - Mar 6 with 1545 viewsBoston

Construction industry on 17:51 - Mar 6 by CroydonCaptJack

There is no sign of it here at the moment.
There has never been so many people in work apparently.
A strange paradox eh.

Y’mean the London Underground ain’t gonna be run by two blokes pushing buttons in Düsseldorf then?

Construction industry on 18:01 - Mar 6 with 1537 viewssevenhoop

Construction industry on 16:03 - Mar 6 by DavieQPR

yes, and don't forget, the planes will stop flying, there'll be hundred-mile queues to get across the channel, there will be no medicines so all the old and poor will die, and I don't know how we can possibly survive without joining the Euro (oh, wait a minute, they were all proved wrong on that, so we don't hear that one anymore)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024