Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Whingeing 17:34 - Apr 22 with 8277 viewsdutch

There were some people on here at half time who should be ashamed at themselves. Complaining when we're drawing 0-0 away at the best team in the division in a game of that importance. Quoting possession stats and moaning because we're not playing like Barcelona. After a terrible run when we have usually been 1-0 down within ten minutes I was super pleased with that and actually thought we could just go on and nick it. Did you moan at Wembley on Bobby Zamora day, which was like Rourke's drift? When we see commitment, determination, people putting bodies on the line to make blocks bloody well applaud it. Great win today, just wish I'd been one of the lucky 500
Whingeing on 22:12 - Apr 22 with 1893 viewswesty

Whingeing on 21:57 - Apr 22 by derbyhoop

It's not exactly whingeing when we quote the real stats from a 1st half, when we were totally outplayed.

Jeez mate have a day off.
Whingeing on 22:13 - Apr 22 with 1895 viewsdutch

It's not exactly whingeing when we quote the real stats from a 1st half, when we were totally outplayed.

At Blackpool we were totally outplayed, at Rotherham, at home to Preston, Birmingham, Coventry we were outplayed, we were incoherent, useless. Today in the first half we had a plan and did what we had to do: sit deep, soak up, block, stop, frustrate, and most of all go in not loosing. Apart from the header on the bar all their attacks were stopped by stalwart defending. I'll take that over the shambles we've been, which is why the chorus of complaints at half time was so silly. For once we put it on the line and it worked. The only stat which mattered was we weren't loosing and went on to win.
Whingeing on 22:15 - Apr 22 with 1887 viewsVancouverHoop

it was Drewe who got a roasting on the left wing.

Ainsworth said he pulled a calf muscle, which might have played a part.
Whingeing on 22:19 - Apr 22 with 1851 viewsVancouverHoop

Football isn't played on graph paper though. Ainsworth fundamentally believes that and said as much in his post-match interview. He knew we weren't going to be able to go toe-to-toe with Burnley so had to find another way. He did. It worked.
Whingeing on 22:38 - Apr 22 with 1784 viewswombat

Whingeing on 22:19 - Apr 22 by VancouverHoop

Football isn't played on graph paper though. Ainsworth fundamentally believes that and said as much in his post-match interview. He knew we weren't going to be able to go toe-to-toe with Burnley so had to find another way. He did. It worked.

FFS Ben home and hour and reading some of the messages , yes we defended deep first half yes we didn’t complete many passes also gave away a shed load of corners , yes we clearer to off the line as well , but hey we went in at half time equal not losing 0_0 something most of us there didn’t think we stood a cat in hells chance of doing , we rode our luck we nbattled we threw ourselves at the ball we shit housed we did what was needed , we scored they scored we scored again we bloody won , against a vastly better team than ourselves a team unbeaten at home a bloody good team . Am I pleased I’m fecking over the moon as was the players at the end , is this the turning point who knows , can GA chnage things who knows but I’m damn glad I went today unlike some of the experts who sat at home watching it on a pc screen . But now consider them selves experts because we didn’t complete many passes in the first half

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Whingeing on 05:55 - Apr 23 with 1612 viewsMalintabuk

Whingeing on 22:38 - Apr 22 by wombat

FFS Ben home and hour and reading some of the messages , yes we defended deep first half yes we didn’t complete many passes also gave away a shed load of corners , yes we clearer to off the line as well , but hey we went in at half time equal not losing 0_0 something most of us there didn’t think we stood a cat in hells chance of doing , we rode our luck we nbattled we threw ourselves at the ball we shit housed we did what was needed , we scored they scored we scored again we bloody won , against a vastly better team than ourselves a team unbeaten at home a bloody good team . Am I pleased I’m fecking over the moon as was the players at the end , is this the turning point who knows , can GA chnage things who knows but I’m damn glad I went today unlike some of the experts who sat at home watching it on a pc screen . But now consider them selves experts because we didn’t complete many passes in the first half

Great you went Wombat
I didn't make it today had work which is unusual for me on a Saturday but my brother and his boys went.
They were telling me even in that first half, there was a kind of buzz around the 500, that you were watching something that the teams as lacked for a fair few months... commitment, passion and determination.
I'm still not sure if Ainsworth is the right fit for us... but today and Wednesday was the first time in months we have seen a little fight and a little pride from the players, so he must be doing something that is getting through
This is without the likes of Willock in the team.
Bottom line Great win.... and won't complain if the last 2 games are won just like it....
Whingeing on 06:51 - Apr 23 with 1555 viewsQPROslo

Whingeing on 22:15 - Apr 22 by VancouverHoop

Drewe was well toasted before he got what looked like cramp but could have been a pulled muscle in about the 43rd minute.
Whingeing on 06:53 - Apr 23 with 1551 viewsDejR_vu

Whingeing on 22:13 - Apr 22 by dutch

At Blackpool we were totally outplayed, at Rotherham, at home to Preston, Birmingham, Coventry we were outplayed, we were incoherent, useless. Today in the first half we had a plan and did what we had to do: sit deep, soak up, block, stop, frustrate, and most of all go in not loosing. Apart from the header on the bar all their attacks were stopped by stalwart defending. I'll take that over the shambles we've been, which is why the chorus of complaints at half time was so silly. For once we put it on the line and it worked. The only stat which mattered was we weren't loosing and went on to win.

You’ve really addressed your own point. Given everything that has gone before, it’s understandable that people are going to be miffed with 14% possession and 20 odd completed passes, regardless of who we’re playing. It didn’t bode well for the second half. I’m sure everyone is delighted with the result but no one saw that coming, and the fact it did, as fantastic as it was, doesn’t change anything that went before.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Login to get fewer ads

Whingeing on 07:38 - Apr 23 with 1467 viewsdavman

Whingeing on 22:15 - Apr 22 by VancouverHoop

Or he just might not be good enough or ready enough.

Like Nico as a LB, Drewe has a long way to go to be a decent Championship RB and is older than Laird I think, so potential is becoming less relevant. He has had one good game so far, v Watford and not a lot else. Like Sinclair Armstrong this season, he needs a loan out next season, but will be needed as understudy to, gulp, Ozzie Kakay next season.

Love Ozzie, and he can hold his own, but not sure he is good enough to be a first choice in the Championship. Rely on those two and most of this season's back up squad next season and 2 wins in 27 might look good in comparison.

Great win yesterday, but reality for next season with our finances will have to sink in soon if we are to stay up...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Whingeing on 08:03 - Apr 23 with 1408 viewsSakura

Here's an interesting stat for the possession stat enthusiasts: 6 shots on target vs 5 yesterday

If you can finish any game with 6 shots on target vs 5 you've got a very good chance of winning it. No matter how much possession the other team had around that
Whingeing on 08:07 - Apr 23 with 1423 viewsdmm

Just as the result was so QPR, this thread is so LFW.
Whingeing on 08:16 - Apr 23 with 1390 viewsBklynRanger

Whingeing on 08:07 - Apr 23 by dmm

Just as the result was so QPR, this thread is so LFW.

Indeed. Barely half an hour after an unbelievable victory. Utterly pointless.
Whingeing on 08:23 - Apr 23 with 1369 viewsgazza1

Each to their own........

My thoughts on the first half - stats are a load of rubbish, we got the rub of the green in the first half and I think we deserved it because we worked very hard as a team to keep our shape, defend our goal, pressure them in our own half and several of the boys played very well.

My question is.....wtf haven't we been doing that for the last 25 matches??

To GA......please don't keep picking Drewe ahead of Laird, Laird is a far better player in most of the aspects of football. If you have differences with Laird, talk to him, let him know and discuss. He could be a good addition to the Team like he was early season.
Whingeing on 09:02 - Apr 23 with 1267 viewsHoopstar

Am I the only one that found the first half perversely enjoyable - albeit watching from afar in a Paris bar?

I had such low expectations switching the stream on that seeing a team - with some of the wrong players for the tactics starting, battling away and trying their best to head, kick, clear anything and everything away. Far too deep and they had the freedom of both flanks but it weirdly felt low stakes as had everything riding on the final two games in my head really - was just pleased to see Dickie and Dunne standing up to be counted.

My various Rangers WhatsApp chats were mostly amused by the sheer ridiculousness of the stats and domination. It's not how I want to see QPR playing but it was, oddly, enjoyable to watch.

Might well just be me and my penchant for gallows humour - though all Rs are surely blessed with a well defined ability to find the humour amid the macabre etc.
Whingeing on 09:03 - Apr 23 with 1247 viewsSakura

I would say that Ainsworth has given Laird the kick up the arse he needed.

After all his faking injuries and lack of committeement generally

Laird came on at half time and played like a man who knew his place wasn't guaranteed in the team. Like a man who knows it's not a good look for him as he heads into this summer needing to find a new club and the scouting reports will show he was dropped for Aaron Drewe...

Well done Ainsworth I say!!!

That message, is also being communicated with Willock sitting out these last two games. If you want to get in Ainsworth team you better put your body on the line. You better run your socks off and leave everything on the pitch

The performances in 3 of our last 4 games suggest that message is getting through to the players. Well done Ainsworth
Whingeing on 09:15 - Apr 23 with 1234 viewsdistortR

Whingeing on 09:02 - Apr 23 by Hoopstar

Am I the only one that found the first half perversely enjoyable - albeit watching from afar in a Paris bar?

I had such low expectations switching the stream on that seeing a team - with some of the wrong players for the tactics starting, battling away and trying their best to head, kick, clear anything and everything away. Far too deep and they had the freedom of both flanks but it weirdly felt low stakes as had everything riding on the final two games in my head really - was just pleased to see Dickie and Dunne standing up to be counted.

My various Rangers WhatsApp chats were mostly amused by the sheer ridiculousness of the stats and domination. It's not how I want to see QPR playing but it was, oddly, enjoyable to watch.

Might well just be me and my penchant for gallows humour - though all Rs are surely blessed with a well defined ability to find the humour amid the macabre etc.

God no, there was commendable application to defending, but you have to have an outlet to relieve the pressure.
Happily, half time was by far GA's best moment as QPR manager. We tightened up, cut supply to the wings, got forward with more purpose and relieved the pressure on the defence. !7 shots against in the first half, 4 in the second. That is a good defensive performance, not the first half!
Whingeing on 13:04 - Apr 23 with 1118 viewsdutch

Whingeing on 09:15 - Apr 23 by distortR

God no, there was commendable application to defending, but you have to have an outlet to relieve the pressure.
Happily, half time was by far GA's best moment as QPR manager. We tightened up, cut supply to the wings, got forward with more purpose and relieved the pressure on the defence. !7 shots against in the first half, 4 in the second. That is a good defensive performance, not the first half!

Not having that either. The fact that they had so much possession and pressure first half, yet got nothing just wore them down, allowing us to start coming out second half. That first half, backs against the wall, soak it up, keep em out, was the key to victory.
Whingeing on 13:20 - Apr 23 with 1066 viewsjoe90

I expected nothing from the game and when I checked the score around half time and saw it was 0-0 I was pleased. Couldn’t help but think of Sam Fields interview and would imagine the team perhaps felt no pressure as nobody was expecting them to win. Probably the first game in ages where there’s been zero expectation!

Can’t blame the fans for any negativity and think we’re all entitled to enjoy that win what ever our feelings were before or during the game.
Whingeing on 14:02 - Apr 23 with 993 viewsDavieQPR

Shouldn't let a shock win gloss over a poor, sometimes desperate, performance. More a game that Burnley lost it rather than us winning it. Also noticed Ramsey back to poking his nose in.
[Post edited 23 Apr 2023 14:03]
Whingeing on 14:12 - Apr 23 with 976 viewsNed_Kennedys

Whingeing on 14:02 - Apr 23 by DavieQPR

Shouldn't let a shock win gloss over a poor, sometimes desperate, performance. More a game that Burnley lost it rather than us winning it. Also noticed Ramsey back to poking his nose in.
[Post edited 23 Apr 2023 14:03]

What exactly were you expecting QPR to do away at by far the best team in the division?

Try to outplay them? Dominate possession with lovely little passing moves all over the pitch?

That was a spirited gutsy backs against the wall performance with five shots on target and still some moan.

Unbelievable.
Whingeing on 14:23 - Apr 23 with 941 viewsQPR_Jim

Whingeing on 13:04 - Apr 23 by dutch

Not having that either. The fact that they had so much possession and pressure first half, yet got nothing just wore them down, allowing us to start coming out second half. That first half, backs against the wall, soak it up, keep em out, was the key to victory.

I'm not sure that it was the key to victory, it's certainly one way of going about keeping a team at bay but most teams go compact and stop chances being created rather than relying on goal line clearances and the crossbar. It was leaving things to chance and we did enough first half but needed to improve second half which we did.

What the first half did show was that the team were committed and dug in when there backs were against the wall, which is an improvement and we need to use that commitment to become more solid and reduce the amount of chances we present to our opponents as it won't always go how it did yesterday.
Whingeing on 14:32 - Apr 23 with 893 viewsPinnerPaul

Whingeing on 18:41 - Apr 22 by qprd

Qpr haven’t been unlucky in our poor run

The Sheffield United result was unlucky, no doubt

Arguably we got unlucky against Sunderland in that chair missed a late penalty that would’ve equalised (though we lost 3-0).

The mental thing abt the run is that most of the results have been us losing quite decisively- 4 3-0 losses at home, 6-1 at Blackpool etc etc

All qpr fans should celebrate tonight’s win… but no need to sugarcoat what’s come before

I said literally that - "You can't be lucky or unlucky over 46 games"

AND I said it last week as well!

I'm not sugar coating anything, but its equally ridiculous to do whatever the opposite of sugar coating is - even VK said we deserved it and he called it himself (he claimed) before we scored.

Surely we all can agree he knows about football a bit better than any of us - although given some egos on here, maybe not!
Whingeing on 14:34 - Apr 23 with 889 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Whingeing on 14:23 - Apr 23 by QPR_Jim

I'm not sure that it was the key to victory, it's certainly one way of going about keeping a team at bay but most teams go compact and stop chances being created rather than relying on goal line clearances and the crossbar. It was leaving things to chance and we did enough first half but needed to improve second half which we did.

What the first half did show was that the team were committed and dug in when there backs were against the wall, which is an improvement and we need to use that commitment to become more solid and reduce the amount of chances we present to our opponents as it won't always go how it did yesterday.

Fair and balanced, I think.

We all see games differently, of course, but I thought that first half was worrying from a tactical viewpoint. Playing two up front against a Cryuffian possession-hungry team meant we had two players isolated and unable to contribute, and playing with two deep holding midfielders meant that we were unable to transition the ball to the front two without a link man in between.

I agree with distortR that Ainsworth did well at half-time, pushing us further up the pitch so we could get ball to our forwards and then to retain it slightly better. Laird for Drewe was a huge help, and Armstrong for Adomah gave us an outlet. Without the half-time re-adjustment and without those two subs, it seemed highly likely that we'd have been just as poor in the second half as in the first, and that our luck would hardly hold.

That's how I saw it anyway. FWIW.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Whingeing on 14:53 - Apr 23 with 843 viewsE15Hoop

Whingeing on 14:34 - Apr 23 by BrianMcCarthy

Fair and balanced, I think.

We all see games differently, of course, but I thought that first half was worrying from a tactical viewpoint. Playing two up front against a Cryuffian possession-hungry team meant we had two players isolated and unable to contribute, and playing with two deep holding midfielders meant that we were unable to transition the ball to the front two without a link man in between.

I agree with distortR that Ainsworth did well at half-time, pushing us further up the pitch so we could get ball to our forwards and then to retain it slightly better. Laird for Drewe was a huge help, and Armstrong for Adomah gave us an outlet. Without the half-time re-adjustment and without those two subs, it seemed highly likely that we'd have been just as poor in the second half as in the first, and that our luck would hardly hold.

That's how I saw it anyway. FWIW.

I'm sure that's true, but shouldn't we be giving GA the benefit of the doubt in thinking that that was exactly what he'd been planning to do from the start?
It would have been intriguing to see what he's have done differently if we had conceded early, but my suspicion is not much, as if we'd have gone with the second half plan too early, we might have run out of gas, especially in Armstrong's case.
Whingeing on 15:02 - Apr 23 with 813 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Whingeing on 14:53 - Apr 23 by E15Hoop

I'm sure that's true, but shouldn't we be giving GA the benefit of the doubt in thinking that that was exactly what he'd been planning to do from the start?
It would have been intriguing to see what he's have done differently if we had conceded early, but my suspicion is not much, as if we'd have gone with the second half plan too early, we might have run out of gas, especially in Armstrong's case.

Sorry, E15, I don't understand that logic.
Our first-half plan was to intentionally sit back and isolate the front two?

If so, it led to three clearances, one hit crossbar and one missed howler, seventeen shots, twelve inside the box, ten corners. It was a miracle that the game wasn't over by half-time. The tactics Ainsworth put in place at half-time could have been put in place before the game. Fair play to him for adjusting, though.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024