Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are we all a bit reassured? 18:32 - Sep 2 with 12236 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Far from safe obviously, but I’m reassured that we are far from doomed.
[Post edited 3 Sep 2023 2:09]
Are we all a bit reassured? on 10:47 - Sep 3 with 2077 viewsBAWHoops

Amazed people in here are still talking about Willock.

His race is run at the club. Offers less than Chair, Armstrong, Dykes and Smyth.

We are solid at the back, pace up top and (when back) a decent target man. Chair provides the sprinkling of magic.
That should be enough to keep us up.... but it's all about injuries and firness

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Are we all a bit reassured? on 10:52 - Sep 3 with 2062 viewsdenhamhoop2

Yes after pre season and the debacle at Watford genuinely feared we would be competitive in any games let alone over a season. Adding experience in Cook and Colback makes us a lot harder to play against and not such an easy touch there is a shape and pattern to our play. Not quite enough creativity or natural goal scorers for us to do anything better than solid midtable . Keeping injuries to a minimum and in particular certain important individuals will be the key because there is very virtually no cover in certain parts of the team. Think we should have enough to stay up and bring on a few of the promising youngsters giving them invaluable first team experience
Are we all a bit reassured? on 11:10 - Sep 3 with 1997 viewsHAYESBOY

Feeling better, yes.
Just worry about squad depth. 2 or 3 injuries and we look really light.
Also lack of goals in the side. Cant keep relying on Colback and worldys.

But positives are:
Much more solid as a team from Oxford and then Watford.
Smyth is such a better player than when he left, I was completely wrong about him.
Colback works with Field.
Dozzell so much better slightly more forward.
Cook and Fox look solid. Dunne to come back and if JCS can stay fit he is a good centre half at this level.
Armstrong getting fitter.
Kolli getting minutes at this level.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Are we all a bit reassured? on 11:11 - Sep 3 with 1995 viewsnix

Are we all a bit reassured? on 10:47 - Sep 3 by BAWHoops

His race is run at the club. Offers less than Chair, Armstrong, Dykes and Smyth.

We are solid at the back, pace up top and (when back) a decent target man. Chair provides the sprinkling of magic.

I agree that he’s not got a future with us but we’ve got such a small squad, can we really just leave him languishing on the sidelines for the rest of the season. Maybe he has completely downed tools but if there’s a chance that the upturn in the team inspires him a bit then he might get some games just for variety and to give Chair a break sometimes. I’m happy to leave it to GA though as he sees them in training and has a better opportunity to assess commitment or lack of it.
Are we all a bit reassured? on 11:20 - Sep 3 with 1958 viewsstevenagehoop

Are we all a bit reassured? on 11:11 - Sep 3 by nix

I agree that he’s not got a future with us but we’ve got such a small squad, can we really just leave him languishing on the sidelines for the rest of the season. Maybe he has completely downed tools but if there’s a chance that the upturn in the team inspires him a bit then he might get some games just for variety and to give Chair a break sometimes. I’m happy to leave it to GA though as he sees them in training and has a better opportunity to assess commitment or lack of it.

Jury still very much out - can put out a good first eleven who can compete - after those only time will tell how strong squad really is - not as well positioned to deal with injuries as many others in league - one thing that really does worry me is where the goals are going to come from not as convinced as the manager that you can train goal scoring instinct - you either have it or you don’t.

I never lie but I don't always tell the truth

Are we all a bit reassured? on 11:22 - Sep 3 with 1937 viewsfrancisbowles

He's still one of our players. His head may not be in the right place but unless the Saudis come in for him, he's with us till January.
If we are to get a small fee for him then, or at least get him off the payroll, we need to get him some minutes, at least as cover for injuries or off the bench. He may even score a goal or two!
Are we all a bit reassured? on 11:40 - Sep 3 with 1867 viewsPhildo

Early day’s but getting a few mark one Holloway vibes
Are we all a bit reassured? on 11:41 - Sep 3 with 1866 viewsE15Hoop

Are we all a bit reassured? on 11:22 - Sep 3 by francisbowles

He's still one of our players. His head may not be in the right place but unless the Saudis come in for him, he's with us till January.
If we are to get a small fee for him then, or at least get him off the payroll, we need to get him some minutes, at least as cover for injuries or off the bench. He may even score a goal or two!

I keep seeing comments that Willock isn't buying into the system, but he had very positive things to say about the squad when last interviewed a few weeks back.

To me, he's clearly still got to overcome a psychological hurdle in trusting his hamstrings. Clearly GA and co are trying to get behind him, but he's obviously reacting whenever he feels a twinge, and so it seems the management team are trying to handle him with kid gloves. Of course, its only Willock himself who can resolve this issue, and the longer he allows it to fester, the harder its going to be for him to overcome.

You would imagine that they'll use the international break to put some more concentrated 1-1 support into him, maybe by pushing him to do repeated high intensity sprints to help him build confidence back in that part of his game.
Login to get fewer ads

Are we all a bit reassured? on 12:11 - Sep 3 with 1813 viewsLanhoop

I think what's really important is the midfield continuing to get forward and chip in with some goals, as they did yesterday. Looks like Gaz has them working on that more than we saw last term.
Are we all a bit reassured? on 13:17 - Sep 3 with 1708 viewsthemodfather

If we get a striker to score 15 or so we will be ok , performances improving and Bergovic busy but making many saves helps
Are we all a bit reassured? on 13:29 - Sep 3 with 1649 viewsfrancisbowles

Are we all a bit reassured? on 11:41 - Sep 3 by E15Hoop

I keep seeing comments that Willock isn't buying into the system, but he had very positive things to say about the squad when last interviewed a few weeks back.

To me, he's clearly still got to overcome a psychological hurdle in trusting his hamstrings. Clearly GA and co are trying to get behind him, but he's obviously reacting whenever he feels a twinge, and so it seems the management team are trying to handle him with kid gloves. Of course, its only Willock himself who can resolve this issue, and the longer he allows it to fester, the harder its going to be for him to overcome.

You would imagine that they'll use the international break to put some more concentrated 1-1 support into him, maybe by pushing him to do repeated high intensity sprints to help him build confidence back in that part of his game.

I agree they will be working with him and trying to get him more positive about his body.

However, I pay little or no attention to what he says. He's not likely to start rubbishing everything and get himself a bad image in the game. He's refusing to sign a new contract and therefore can't be that positive about the club.
Are we all a bit reassured? on 13:38 - Sep 3 with 1634 viewsnix

Are we all a bit reassured? on 13:17 - Sep 3 by themodfather

If we get a striker to score 15 or so we will be ok , performances improving and Bergovic busy but making many saves helps

This always gets wheeled out but how realistic is that. We’ve only had this in five of the last twenty seasons and two of those were promotion seasons. The players included Furlong, Austin (twice), Taraabt and Gallen. Surely it’s more realistic to try and get goals throughout the team rather than relying on the hope of a unicorn appearing?
Are we all a bit reassured? on 13:40 - Sep 3 with 1625 viewsSK_hoops

Are we all a bit reassured? on 13:17 - Sep 3 by themodfather

When was the last time a QPR striker scored 15 goals? Austin?
Are we all a bit reassured? on 13:57 - Sep 3 with 1560 viewsstevec

It’ll be a lot more reassuring if we can learn how to win home games.
Are we all a bit reassured? on 14:52 - Sep 3 with 1511 viewsdistortR

Are we all a bit reassured? on 00:53 - Sep 3 by CiderwithRsie

I just like this side. Potential to get much better IMO and heading in the right direction.

Yeah, a bunch of odds and sods showing real commitment.
Got shown a video of the high tech razzmatazz surrounding man city arriving in Singapore (I think)....not for me. Give me honest, down to earth football every day of the week.
Are we all a bit reassured? on 15:02 - Sep 3 with 1480 viewspaulparker

Totally agree about Willock , he was terrible when he came on yesterday , for a more senior pro he couldn’t pass the ball to a teammate and kept giving it away when we needed to keep it

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Are we all a bit reassured? on 16:11 - Sep 3 with 1412 viewsnumptydumpty

Are we all a bit reassured? on 15:02 - Sep 3 by paulparker

Totally agree about Willock , he was terrible when he came on yesterday , for a more senior pro he couldn’t pass the ball to a teammate and kept giving it away when we needed to keep it

Jeez !!!

If Carling made fans and they had drunk way too much Carling.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Glad you still got a boo boy in our squad PP.

To be fair, apart from one pass across the box. which was loaded with risk, I think he battled OK when he came on, and that's not his natural game.

I think currently our formation and success of current team, Willock is a bench player and not first choice to come on, but am pleased he is an option of the bench and he needs minutes in games also and that's generally the same for everyone.

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Are we all a bit reassured? on 16:27 - Sep 3 with 1364 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Are we all a bit reassured? on 16:11 - Sep 3 by numptydumpty

Jeez !!!

If Carling made fans and they had drunk way too much Carling.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Glad you still got a boo boy in our squad PP.

To be fair, apart from one pass across the box. which was loaded with risk, I think he battled OK when he came on, and that's not his natural game.

I think currently our formation and success of current team, Willock is a bench player and not first choice to come on, but am pleased he is an option of the bench and he needs minutes in games also and that's generally the same for everyone.

I thought he was poor, Numpty.

I think he gave the ball away three times at least and didn't battle much at all. He had one game of cage football with Paal by one of our corner flags late on that was dangerous and nonsensical.

Still, he must be rusty, and good to see ten minutes out of him.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Are we all a bit reassured? on 16:43 - Sep 3 with 1322 viewskropotkin41

I appreciate that if ifs were £20 notes we'd all be rich, but it's pretty amazing to think that if we'd got draws against Ipswich and Southampton, neither result would have flattered us, we'd be in 9th. I think we have to be reassured, if only to the extent that we are now looking competitive.

I don't buy the "well Begovic had a good game, so don't take too much heart from that" argument. Shot stopping is the man's job, he's done it at the highest level, and now he seems capable of doing it for us. Most teams that do okay have a good goalie.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Are we all a bit reassured? on 17:08 - Sep 3 with 1274 viewsE15Hoop

Are we all a bit reassured? on 16:43 - Sep 3 by kropotkin41

I appreciate that if ifs were £20 notes we'd all be rich, but it's pretty amazing to think that if we'd got draws against Ipswich and Southampton, neither result would have flattered us, we'd be in 9th. I think we have to be reassured, if only to the extent that we are now looking competitive.

I don't buy the "well Begovic had a good game, so don't take too much heart from that" argument. Shot stopping is the man's job, he's done it at the highest level, and now he seems capable of doing it for us. Most teams that do okay have a good goalie.

I haven't had the chance to see the game yet, but I listened to the commentary, and you could tell from what both Nick London and Andy Sinton were saying that we were largely in control of the game.

Even when we did inevitably come under pressure, it sounded very much that everyone covered for teammates out of position, or who had been beaten. When Boro did get through, they found Begovic in imperious form.

It sounded like the perfect away performance, and when you think that we're only 5 league games into the season, you have to marvel at how far forward we've come in such a short space of time. This is what good teams do, and I think we should allow ourselves to believe that what we're seeng is the new default position for us.
Are we all a bit reassured? on 17:12 - Sep 3 with 1262 viewsQPRSteve

A big fly in the ointment is that we will be losing Chair for a month in the New Year for the African Cup of Nations. We'll need a plan to cope with that.
Are we all a bit reassured? on 17:21 - Sep 3 with 1240 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Are we all a bit reassured? on 17:08 - Sep 3 by E15Hoop

I haven't had the chance to see the game yet, but I listened to the commentary, and you could tell from what both Nick London and Andy Sinton were saying that we were largely in control of the game.

Even when we did inevitably come under pressure, it sounded very much that everyone covered for teammates out of position, or who had been beaten. When Boro did get through, they found Begovic in imperious form.

It sounded like the perfect away performance, and when you think that we're only 5 league games into the season, you have to marvel at how far forward we've come in such a short space of time. This is what good teams do, and I think we should allow ourselves to believe that what we're seeng is the new default position for us.

You might change your mind when you see the game, E15.

Begovic made nine saves, so it was very far from the perfect away performance. I argued yesterday that our goalie is part of our team so him making nine saves is not bad luck for Boro, and I'll stick with that, but clearly nine saves hints at problems elsewhere in the performance and we were cut open many, many times to allow multiple one-on-ones.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Are we all a bit reassured? on 17:24 - Sep 3 with 1229 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Are we all a bit reassured? on 17:21 - Sep 3 by BrianMcCarthy

You might change your mind when you see the game, E15.

Begovic made nine saves, so it was very far from the perfect away performance. I argued yesterday that our goalie is part of our team so him making nine saves is not bad luck for Boro, and I'll stick with that, but clearly nine saves hints at problems elsewhere in the performance and we were cut open many, many times to allow multiple one-on-ones.

You have to expect to do some defending away from home but, I agree, the defence was unlocked a few too many times for my liking.

The irony is we looked more defensively assured against Ipswich and Southampton yet lost both games.

The championship doing championship things.
[Post edited 3 Sep 2023 17:32]
Are we all a bit reassured? on 17:38 - Sep 3 with 1183 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Are we all a bit reassured? on 16:43 - Sep 3 by kropotkin41

Agree to an extent though my heart would prefer if the defence was more resilient to a simple slide-rule pass. That being said, Begovic is paid to do a job and I was pleased to see him excel after a less than convincing performance at St. Mary's.

But you're right that most decent teams have a decent keeper. When QPR fans look back at Warnock's title winning side of 2010-11, we often recall all misty-eyed the performances of the likes Taraabt, Faurlin and Mackie. What rarely gets a mention is the performances of Paddy Kenny and the number of crucial saves he made.
Are we all a bit reassured? on 18:05 - Sep 3 with 1130 viewsthehat

Yes I feel more reassured. Gareth’s signings have been spot on incredible really when you think there were no transfer fees involved.

Team spirit has improved immensely since last season’s toxic dressing room and we are seeing improvements in all our players.

The green shoots are coming through and we now have a good chance of survival.

However we need to sort out the Loftus Road hoodoo especially scoring goals at Loft End.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024