Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Roma Stadio Olympico 21:21 - Jan 21 with 3654 viewsthame_hoops

Anyone been?

Went last night for Roma vs Verona, you have to take ID and they cross reference your ticket name, takes time to get in.

Inside the stadium, people were in our seats and we were told to just ‘sit anywhere’ which was a challenge as 60k attendance. Stewards all seemed to be Italian and super friendly.

People smoking ciggies in their seats, huge flags blocking your view, was a surreal experience but enjoyable!

Also you can drink beer in your seat, a guy walks around, a bit like at baseball, serves it to your seat.

Love Italian football and Rome especially
Roma Stadio Olympico on 21:26 - Jan 21 with 3628 views1MoreBrightonR

I watched a Lazio game there...it was ok but a little dull and facilities weren't great. It was fun but nothing compared to the German match day experience....highly recommend catching a game there if you can.
Roma Stadio Olympico on 21:35 - Jan 21 with 3592 viewsKonk

Saw Fulham play there - think their ultras were boycotting the game, so not the best atmosphere. Not a huge fan of grounds with athletic tracks, but can imagine it's loud enough for a big game.

Out there over Easter, so looking to get tickets for the derby. Registered with Roma - tickets look v expensive for their big games. Glad you had a good time - hoping my son isn't unsettled by any bother.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Roma Stadio Olympico on 21:41 - Jan 21 with 3550 viewsthame_hoops

Roma Stadio Olympico on 21:35 - Jan 21 by Konk

Saw Fulham play there - think their ultras were boycotting the game, so not the best atmosphere. Not a huge fan of grounds with athletic tracks, but can imagine it's loud enough for a big game.

Out there over Easter, so looking to get tickets for the derby. Registered with Roma - tickets look v expensive for their big games. Glad you had a good time - hoping my son isn't unsettled by any bother.

I took my girlfriend’s boy who’s 13.., he didn’t have ID( didn’t think a kid needed it) and they wouldn’t let him in, luckily she texted me a photo of his passport. Thought it was OTT. In one corner everyone stood up so. Not sure now you’d see if you’re sat behind them?. Definitely worth it, a good experience
[Post edited 21 Jan 21:43]
Roma Stadio Olympico on 22:20 - Jan 21 with 3456 viewsNorthernr

When Young North and myself were teenagers we did a few InterRail journeys down to Italy for games having fallen in love with it during the classic Football Italia days of the 1990s.

We did one to Milan to do the San Siro (accomplished) and see original Ronaldo (injured in the warm up, Robbie Keane played instead, I can see that cnt at home) when Inter played Napoli. Won 3-1 I think, Seedorf and Di Biaggio were insane.

Next one we did Roma v Inter at the Olympico when Inter had an eclectic strike force of Luis Figo and Obafemi Martins up front. Went the whole way there on the train, drinking little stubbie Moretti's all the way over the Alps, arrived in pretty steaming hot Rome at 10am and I chundered a full night's worth under the wheels of the train at Rome station. The English have arrived.

My big memory of the match was the whole 'Roma, Roma, Roma' anthem at the start was so loud and captivating and encompassing that the game was five minutes old before I even realised we'd started. Certainly knocked the famous "Anfield atmosphere" into a cocked hat. Finished 1-1, I think.
Roma Stadio Olympico on 22:35 - Jan 21 with 3403 viewsBoston

A Napoli fan once took to me to a Roma v Lazio game.
[Post edited 21 Jan 23:25]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Roma Stadio Olympico on 00:07 - Jan 22 with 3273 viewsstowmarketrange

I’ve been there 3 times for England rugby but never football.I guess it’s a very different experience for the round ball game but the stadium is great if a little dated.
Roma Stadio Olympico on 06:28 - Jan 22 with 3123 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I was there for a Roma, AC Milan game in 98. The thing I remember most was walking up this statue lined thoroughfare to the ground. Should I ever go again, I'll dress in a toga, sandals, and sport a laurel wreath on my noggins.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Roma Stadio Olympico on 08:18 - Jan 22 with 3020 viewsGhost_on_the_Westway

I went to a couple in the 90’s - Milan v Cremonese, Juve v Parma, Inter v Genoa and Fiorentina v Sampdoria. Great memories.
I always had a soft spot for Sampdoria as I thought Roberto Mancini was Stan Mk2, albeit in a nicer suit. ‘Course he’d left by the time I saw them and they had Mr Interesting Platt playing for them instead. Still, I always knew him as “bastardo Inglese” ever since.
Inter fans weren’t happy with their lot at that game and completely emptied the top tier/Ultras section behind the goal for the whole second half. It was quite a sight.
[Post edited 22 Jan 8:20]
Login to get fewer ads

Roma Stadio Olympico on 09:54 - Jan 22 with 2871 viewsMrSheen

I took Mrs Sheen to the SO about 30 years ago, Lazio v Cagliari. We couldn’t get a ticket for the Curva Nord so we were in the Sud, Roma’s usual end. Nice seats behind the goal (if rather distant), until a couple of minutes before kick off when three guys arrived with loudhailers to stand on seats right in front of us to whip the tifosi-in-exile into action.

As for the game, Lazio were 4 up in half an hour (Casiraghi and Signori having their wicked way), and that killed it off. Fifty-odd Cagliari fans seemed to enjoy the rest more than 40,000 locals. The biggest surprise of the day was hole in the ground squat toilets, which must complicate the halftime toot.
[Post edited 22 Jan 9:54]
Roma Stadio Olympico on 10:24 - Jan 22 with 2807 viewsTheChef

Roma Stadio Olympico on 22:20 - Jan 21 by Northernr

When Young North and myself were teenagers we did a few InterRail journeys down to Italy for games having fallen in love with it during the classic Football Italia days of the 1990s.

We did one to Milan to do the San Siro (accomplished) and see original Ronaldo (injured in the warm up, Robbie Keane played instead, I can see that cnt at home) when Inter played Napoli. Won 3-1 I think, Seedorf and Di Biaggio were insane.

Next one we did Roma v Inter at the Olympico when Inter had an eclectic strike force of Luis Figo and Obafemi Martins up front. Went the whole way there on the train, drinking little stubbie Moretti's all the way over the Alps, arrived in pretty steaming hot Rome at 10am and I chundered a full night's worth under the wheels of the train at Rome station. The English have arrived.

My big memory of the match was the whole 'Roma, Roma, Roma' anthem at the start was so loud and captivating and encompassing that the game was five minutes old before I even realised we'd started. Certainly knocked the famous "Anfield atmosphere" into a cocked hat. Finished 1-1, I think.

By a bizarre coincidence I was at that same Roma v Inter game. I think we were sat the row behind you and staying at the same hotel so we must have booked through the same agent (yes I know, stalker alert etc.)

Roma were on an amazing winning streak of 11 games, had they won that night they'd have made a new Serie A record. So I was mightily fcked off when Materazzi equalised with about five minutes left.

But yeah the Roma, Roma, Roma anthem is something else when the whole stadium sings it. And the city is amazing - my Dad lived there for fifteen years, my grandmother is buried there. Must go back.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Roma Stadio Olympico on 10:29 - Jan 22 with 2792 viewsMrSheen

Roma Stadio Olympico on 06:28 - Jan 22 by PlanetHonneywood

I was there for a Roma, AC Milan game in 98. The thing I remember most was walking up this statue lined thoroughfare to the ground. Should I ever go again, I'll dress in a toga, sandals, and sport a laurel wreath on my noggins.

Don’t ever go to Hertha Berlin game, then.
Roma Stadio Olympico on 18:06 - Jan 23 with 2484 viewswestberksr

managed to catch the Derby when arriving in Rome for a cruise the following day.

it was Roma's home match and the Lazio Ultras were great value.

this was when DiCanio had returned so the atmosphere was mental. 1-1 draw and a great experience........ Ex wasn't too pleased i'd gone off for the match
Roma Stadio Olympico on 18:40 - Jan 23 with 2413 viewscpgerber

I'be been to the old Stadio Friuli long ago for an Udinese game, and at the San Siro for Inter many years ago. in 2022 I went to see Lecce-Pisa in a promotion battle. Footie in Italy is always super fun.
Roma Stadio Olympico on 19:58 - Jan 23 with 2312 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Roma Stadio Olympico on 10:29 - Jan 22 by MrSheen

Don’t ever go to Hertha Berlin game, then.

Too late.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Roma Stadio Olympico on 22:06 - Jan 23 with 2166 viewsR_from_afar

If you're interested in Italian football, "A season with Verona" by Tim Parks is a great read.

When we were briefly in the Prem recently, a couple of Italians I played football with who idolised Roberto Mancini wanted to see QPR v Citeh at Loftus Road. I got them tickets and they were in luck because that was an absolutely pulsating match.

City were superb but we gave them the shock of their lives. Dzeko said afterwards that it was the toughest game of their season, and no, it wasn't August, I think it was November.

Loftus Road was a veritable bear pit that day, I have never heard us create such a hostile atmosphere for the opposition. It's still one of my favourite games ever and but for the width of the post, we would've got a richly deserved draw.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Roma Stadio Olympico on 22:38 - Jan 23 with 2121 viewsBlackCrowe

Been there for Six Nations. Delipdated and seats far from pitch, but Peroni is good as is everything else.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Roma Stadio Olympico on 08:56 - Jan 24 with 1989 viewsSpaceman_P

In Spain, alcohol is banned in stadiums.
Roma Stadio Olympico on 15:07 - Jan 24 with 1875 viewsSimonJames

Thoroughly enjoyed a couple of Six Nations games there.
Always nice to go knowing that England have never lost to Italy. (So that's probably just jinxed it for the 3rd Feb game... naw!)

100% of people who drink water will die.

Roma Stadio Olympico on 15:31 - Jan 24 with 1843 viewsLongRanger

Went to Roma v Juve in 2005, finished 4-1 Juve. Juve had a great side, Nedved, Cannavaro, Ibrahimovic, Trezeguet, Del Piero, Viera. Amazing experience, no police or stewards to be seen, only fireman, stood at the back of the Roma end, would recommend to anyone.

Went to Inter v Brecia a few years before that, Inter lost 3-1 so their Ultra's unleashed the huge fire hose, with water straight out of the sewer/river, all over the top and bottom tiers behind the goal, again, no police or stewards to be seen, spent more time watching the fans than the game.
Roma Stadio Olympico on 20:38 - Jan 24 with 1742 viewsqpr1976

Went to Roma v Livorno (4-0) game with family 17 years or so ago.
Memories -
Club shop in city centre didn’t want to sell me family tickets due to likelyhood of violence. Obviously I knew better and convinced them.
Arrived early, lots of Ultra groups hanging around statues.
Saw a fan with a woolly Millwall hat before the game ?
Livorno fans arrived in a coach and were immediately attacked. The Times reported a fan lost a hand when a petrol bomb was thrown !
Inside the ground, Home Ultras were extremely vociferous. Nazi flags were on full view !
Livorno fans unveiled a huge yellow Star of David flag/banner.
Home fans went mental, another petrol bomb was thrown at the triple thick perspex crowd seperating wall. Which exploded and collapsed leaving a gap for home fans to attack until armed Police stood in the gap to keep rival fans apart.
Totti was outstanding, scoring twice.
It took ages to get back to the city centre and our hotel.

Club shop ticket office were right.
Roma Stadio Olympico on 14:29 - Jan 25 with 1578 viewsTheChef

Roma Stadio Olympico on 20:38 - Jan 24 by qpr1976

Went to Roma v Livorno (4-0) game with family 17 years or so ago.
Memories -
Club shop in city centre didn’t want to sell me family tickets due to likelyhood of violence. Obviously I knew better and convinced them.
Arrived early, lots of Ultra groups hanging around statues.
Saw a fan with a woolly Millwall hat before the game ?
Livorno fans arrived in a coach and were immediately attacked. The Times reported a fan lost a hand when a petrol bomb was thrown !
Inside the ground, Home Ultras were extremely vociferous. Nazi flags were on full view !
Livorno fans unveiled a huge yellow Star of David flag/banner.
Home fans went mental, another petrol bomb was thrown at the triple thick perspex crowd seperating wall. Which exploded and collapsed leaving a gap for home fans to attack until armed Police stood in the gap to keep rival fans apart.
Totti was outstanding, scoring twice.
It took ages to get back to the city centre and our hotel.

Club shop ticket office were right.

Livorno probably the most left wing club/fan base in Italy.

Roma have a few fascist idiots but not half as bad as Lazio (spit).

Hence not surprising that it kicked off!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Roma Stadio Olympico on 00:29 - Jan 26 with 1486 viewsqpr1976

Roma Stadio Olympico on 14:29 - Jan 25 by TheChef

Livorno probably the most left wing club/fan base in Italy.

Roma have a few fascist idiots but not half as bad as Lazio (spit).

Hence not surprising that it kicked off!

Indeed. Yes Lazio are worse.
But i’d never heard of Livorno before that game.
My memory is failing at 60, but that day still very vivid.

Also the day i discovered Peroni (in a cafe on the way back from the game, so not all bad !)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024