Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wirral rubbish shouts Adkins as beach boys lose to DC's Super U's 12:10 - Apr 1 with 2343 viewsdurham_exile

A good Easter can become a magnificent one with three points at Prenton Park today. DC takes his resurgent U’s to the Wirral to do battle with Nigel Adkins’ team fresh from their defeat at the Bantams on Good Friday.

The U’s by contrast having taken a vital point against the Stags, saw off the Exiles with a late Jay Mingi winner at the JCS.

It was a deserved win against another team faltering to get into the Play Offs. Today will be a tough ask even though Tranmere are already on the beach in Fuerteventura.

They have a decent record at home but DC has got the U’s playing some resilient football and they can see the finishing line of survival getting closer all the time. Chuck Norris will be keen to score today providing enough red meat has been thrown his way.

Grimsby 39 39 -18
COL U 38 37 -18
Sutton 41 36 -25
FGR 40 33 -30

Sutton who looked doomed have revived, but still look favourites to join FGR. Grimsby are dropping like a stone but have a reasonable run in and of course still have to go to the Fortress JCS! It is going to be tight.

Grimsby 39 39
Bradford H
Newport H
Harrogate A
Crewe A
COL U A
Swindon H
Crawley A

Colchester 38 37
Tranmere A
Wrexham H
Stockport H
Crawley A
Grimsby H
Notts Co A
Doncaster H
Crewe H

Sutton 41 36
Swindon H
Stockport H
Harrogate A
Crawley H
MK Dons A

FGR 40 33
Crewe A
MK Dons H
Mansfield A
Wrexham A
Morecambe A
Notts Co H

Weather today on the Wirral 9 degrees Celsius light rain but still conditions with a light breeze.

I would like to see the following line up today:

Goodman

Mingi Hall Dallison Iandolo

Smith Read McGeehan

Fevrier Tovide Anderson

Subs
Hornby Chilvers Kells Hopper Wilkinson Jay Ihionvien

DC has already said that he will be using his squad and so expect impact players to be used second half – Ihionvien, Chilvers, Kells and Hopper.

The U’s to prevail 2-0 which will set us up nicely for Parky’s boys next weekend. We will probably only need 7 points from 7 games after a win on the Wirral today.

Safe journey to the travelling faithful. I am watching on iFollow today. My excuse is the Bank Holiday Easter Monday traffic on the M6.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Wirral rubbish shouts Adkins as beach boys lose to DC's Super U's on 09:27 - Apr 2 with 704 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Wirral rubbish shouts Adkins as beach boys lose to DC's Super U's on 22:23 - Apr 1 by wessex_exile

With family over for their Easter Egg hunt and roast dinner, I couldn't give the game the attention it deserved. From what I did see, Tranmere's goal was basically taking candy from a baby - so easy for them. At that point, I feared a very poor result, but within a minute Ally Smith's equaliser was just sublime. Thereafter, it seemed a pretty even affair, and yes we had our chances to win, but so did they. On paper, 4pts out of six over Easter is a pretty good return, and I suspect most would have taken that if offered. We can't worry about results around us, we can only play the teams in front of us - trouble is, the next two are Wrexham and Stockport. However, we've shown we can match both of those away, so why not at home!

Incidentally, just seven seats left for next Saturday - what a day it promises to be!

Just the one ticket left now.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Wirral rubbish shouts Adkins as beach boys lose to DC's Super U's on 19:23 - Apr 2 with 589 viewsnoah4x4

Wirral rubbish shouts Adkins as beach boys lose to DC's Super U's on 09:27 - Apr 2 by RSCOSWORTH

Just the one ticket left now.

A sell out 10,000+ attendance! Is this an April Fools Joke? Evidently not!

However, if we add Wrexham’s typical away following to our regular home following that still means 4,000 + extra turning up beyond that. Who are they expecting to see? Are the (so called) “Hollywood superstars” even in the UK? Can they name a single Wrexham or U’s player? Why hasn’t this happened elsewhere, or is this simply a moment of TOWIE madness?

As a proper fan (and excused from cricket) I’m looking forward to an “I was there” day when the U’s deflate the Wrexham bubble, whilst Stockport and MKDons break Sutton and FGR hearts. Hopefully, our players have read the script and turn in another streetwise performance. A couple of Wrexham sendings off and a few injuries tonight at Doncaster would be a good trailer for the main event. Our depth of squad might be our best asset.
Wirral rubbish shouts Adkins as beach boys lose to DC's Super U's on 20:26 - Apr 2 with 565 viewswessex_exile

Wirral rubbish shouts Adkins as beach boys lose to DC's Super U's on 19:23 - Apr 2 by noah4x4

A sell out 10,000+ attendance! Is this an April Fools Joke? Evidently not!

However, if we add Wrexham’s typical away following to our regular home following that still means 4,000 + extra turning up beyond that. Who are they expecting to see? Are the (so called) “Hollywood superstars” even in the UK? Can they name a single Wrexham or U’s player? Why hasn’t this happened elsewhere, or is this simply a moment of TOWIE madness?

As a proper fan (and excused from cricket) I’m looking forward to an “I was there” day when the U’s deflate the Wrexham bubble, whilst Stockport and MKDons break Sutton and FGR hearts. Hopefully, our players have read the script and turn in another streetwise performance. A couple of Wrexham sendings off and a few injuries tonight at Doncaster would be a good trailer for the main event. Our depth of squad might be our best asset.

I looked into this, it's not a Col U phenomena, most clubs (that I've checked) have their highest attendance against Wrexham this season, and usually by some margin. Obviously they have a large travelling support, which always helps, and the "Welcome to Wrexham" docuseries has helped elevate their profile and attract that additional interest. And of course, part and parcel of that is their Hollywood superstar owners. But, if people are turning up to grab a selfie and/or autograph, or just critique "The Green Lantern" with Mr Reynolds, they're going to be disappointed.

But there is another factor that I don't think can be overlooked. Our support 'pool' is clearly far more than the usual 3-4,000 who turn up regularly, probably by a factor of 5+ (and I'm not joking about that). I believe the ongoing reporting of increasing ticket sales throughout social media has actually contributed to those sales accelerating, precisely because our occasional supporters want to have that "I was there" moment. In a way it's a classic FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) scenario, and I'm not criticising anyone for it. If just a small fraction come back again before the end of the season, it's a win-win situation, but that's down to the Cowleys and the team to influence.

The club, this afternoon, released a block of 30+ seats in the middle of W8, which I suspect might have been unneeded club official/ player complimentary tickets, and they went within literally minutes. It won't be a 10k sell-out, the missing E1 and E2 stands will put paid to that, but it will guarantee our average home league attendance for this season will top 4,000. The last time that happened was 2015/16 when we were relegated from League 1.

Great to hear you'll be there Noah - me and the boy (as true glory-hunters) will be there too, but whether we have a chance to meet in the assembled throng remains to be seen.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Wirral rubbish shouts Adkins as beach boys lose to DC's Super U's on 21:11 - Apr 2 with 539 viewsgerry_us

Maybe there are also a few supporters who wish to welcome back a certain Phil Parkinson who was involved in the best period that U's have ever had.
I for one have a great respect for him and just maybe he may just feel he could do us a favour on Saturday?
Wirral rubbish shouts Adkins as beach boys lose to DC's Super U's on 21:47 - Apr 2 with 522 viewsdurham_exile

Wrexham warmed up at Doncaster with a 1-0 defeat in front of 10,537 supporters.

They had 14 shots and none on target.

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Wirral rubbish shouts Adkins as beach boys lose to DC's Super U's on 21:56 - Apr 2 with 508 viewswessex_exile

Wirral rubbish shouts Adkins as beach boys lose to DC's Super U's on 21:11 - Apr 2 by gerry_us

Maybe there are also a few supporters who wish to welcome back a certain Phil Parkinson who was involved in the best period that U's have ever had.
I for one have a great respect for him and just maybe he may just feel he could do us a favour on Saturday?

I haven't counted the Parky factor, which I agree may well have added a few to the crowd. I didn't count the Cowley factor either, which will have added far more than that.

Average league home attendance under Ben Garner was 3,711 (8 games), under Matty Ethrington was 3,678 (7 games) and under Danny Cowley (5 games) is currently 4,118. I would respectively suggest that putting an average of an extra 4-500 bums on seats under Danny (and Nicky) far outweighs the Parky factor. After Saturday, the Cowley's home attendance average is going to be close to 5,000.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Wirral rubbish shouts Adkins as beach boys lose to DC's Super U's on 22:01 - Apr 2 with 504 viewsmfb_cufc

Wirral rubbish shouts Adkins as beach boys lose to DC's Super U's on 21:47 - Apr 2 by durham_exile

Wrexham warmed up at Doncaster with a 1-0 defeat in front of 10,537 supporters.

They had 14 shots and none on target.

Come on the U's

Wrexham's away record is nothing special. Nothing to fear on Saturday.

mfb

Wirral rubbish shouts Adkins as beach boys lose to DC's Super U's on 22:45 - Apr 2 with 486 viewsthrillseeker

Not sure a Doncaster win was best for us as I heard the Donny manager say they are still aiming for Play Offs.

A few weeks ago I was hoping Donny and Grimsby would be on the beach with nothing to play for but that has suddenly changed.

Remaining games

Wrexham - currently 3rd and going for automatic promotion
Stockport - top and going for automatic promotion
Crawley - 7th and currently in final Play Off place with game in hand
Grimsby - 21st - says it all
Notts County - 16th and nothing to play for
Doncaster - 14th but only 7 points of Play Offs - 5 wins in last 5 games. Have they timed a Play Off run to perfection?
Crewe - 6th and despite current form may still have to win to secure Play Off spot

We don't make things easy

We need 3 wins and 1 draw
Login to get fewer ads

Wirral rubbish shouts Adkins as beach boys lose to DC's Super U's on 00:47 - Apr 3 with 468 viewsdurham_exile

Wirral rubbish shouts Adkins as beach boys lose to DC's Super U's on 22:45 - Apr 2 by thrillseeker

Not sure a Doncaster win was best for us as I heard the Donny manager say they are still aiming for Play Offs.

A few weeks ago I was hoping Donny and Grimsby would be on the beach with nothing to play for but that has suddenly changed.

Remaining games

Wrexham - currently 3rd and going for automatic promotion
Stockport - top and going for automatic promotion
Crawley - 7th and currently in final Play Off place with game in hand
Grimsby - 21st - says it all
Notts County - 16th and nothing to play for
Doncaster - 14th but only 7 points of Play Offs - 5 wins in last 5 games. Have they timed a Play Off run to perfection?
Crewe - 6th and despite current form may still have to win to secure Play Off spot

We don't make things easy

We need 3 wins and 1 draw

TS if Doncaster believe they will achieve a top seven place then it shows just how topsy turvy this league is.

Wrexham are as Mick points out no great shakes away from home.

Sutton were dead and buried before they embarked on their four consecutive victories.

We have finally hit some consistent form.
It may be however that this is one year when 50 points is needed to survive.

It is still in our own hands with sufficient games remaining to achieve the magical 50 points mark.

On current form Grimsby must be favourites to join FGR in the National League although I think Sutton will come unstuck.

This simply has to be the last year that we are in such a parlous state.

Next season must be the top seven push.

The Cowleys can make it happen.
Alistair Smith must be number one on the transfer target list.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Wirral rubbish shouts Adkins as beach boys lose to DC's Super U's on 11:05 - Apr 3 with 399 viewsburnsieespana

Be surprised if 0 points the cut off as that implies Sutton or GHR will.win each of there remains games which I don't see happening even though both are scoring goals for fun.
My own view is 46 with a better gd will see is home but it has certainly Neen an odd season and the complete division has and still is very close although the bottom 4 have been significantly dropped by the other teams.
Wirral rubbish shouts Adkins as beach boys lose to DC's Super U's on 13:45 - Apr 3 with 371 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Wirral rubbish shouts Adkins as beach boys lose to DC's Super U's on 20:26 - Apr 2 by wessex_exile

I looked into this, it's not a Col U phenomena, most clubs (that I've checked) have their highest attendance against Wrexham this season, and usually by some margin. Obviously they have a large travelling support, which always helps, and the "Welcome to Wrexham" docuseries has helped elevate their profile and attract that additional interest. And of course, part and parcel of that is their Hollywood superstar owners. But, if people are turning up to grab a selfie and/or autograph, or just critique "The Green Lantern" with Mr Reynolds, they're going to be disappointed.

But there is another factor that I don't think can be overlooked. Our support 'pool' is clearly far more than the usual 3-4,000 who turn up regularly, probably by a factor of 5+ (and I'm not joking about that). I believe the ongoing reporting of increasing ticket sales throughout social media has actually contributed to those sales accelerating, precisely because our occasional supporters want to have that "I was there" moment. In a way it's a classic FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) scenario, and I'm not criticising anyone for it. If just a small fraction come back again before the end of the season, it's a win-win situation, but that's down to the Cowleys and the team to influence.

The club, this afternoon, released a block of 30+ seats in the middle of W8, which I suspect might have been unneeded club official/ player complimentary tickets, and they went within literally minutes. It won't be a 10k sell-out, the missing E1 and E2 stands will put paid to that, but it will guarantee our average home league attendance for this season will top 4,000. The last time that happened was 2015/16 when we were relegated from League 1.

Great to hear you'll be there Noah - me and the boy (as true glory-hunters) will be there too, but whether we have a chance to meet in the assembled throng remains to be seen.

Some really interesting insight there Wessex.

I am part of the wider support 'pool' that you mentioned. I've only been to three league and two cup games this season, mainly because Saturday games aren't great for me, but I will be there on Saturday. Originally I had no plans to go as I have our daughters as my wife is away but when I saw the tickets selling so well and a crowd in excess of 8,000 expected I arranged for my mum to have my girls so that I could go to the match. Like you suggested Wessex, I'm sure I'm not the only part time U's watcher who has now made more of an effort to get to this game. I also have a ticket for the Grimsby game, from the original fixture, so I'll definitely be back for that one and I've got an eye on the Doncaster match too.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Durham on 19:32 - Apr 13 with 202 viewsthrillseeker

Wirral rubbish shouts Adkins as beach boys lose to DC's Super U's on 00:47 - Apr 3 by durham_exile

TS if Doncaster believe they will achieve a top seven place then it shows just how topsy turvy this league is.

Wrexham are as Mick points out no great shakes away from home.

Sutton were dead and buried before they embarked on their four consecutive victories.

We have finally hit some consistent form.
It may be however that this is one year when 50 points is needed to survive.

It is still in our own hands with sufficient games remaining to achieve the magical 50 points mark.

On current form Grimsby must be favourites to join FGR in the National League although I think Sutton will come unstuck.

This simply has to be the last year that we are in such a parlous state.

Next season must be the top seven push.

The Cowleys can make it happen.
Alistair Smith must be number one on the transfer target list.

Up the U's

Durham - may be the Donny manager wasn't talking such rubbish after all.

They are very close to Play Offs now

Amazing what a good run can do to your league position
Durham on 21:00 - Apr 13 with 150 viewsdurham_exile

Durham on 19:32 - Apr 13 by thrillseeker

Durham - may be the Donny manager wasn't talking such rubbish after all.

They are very close to Play Offs now

Amazing what a good run can do to your league position

TS you are absolutely right. Every season one team gains momentum and puts together a great run.

Donny Rovers are on just such a run.
They of course will be stopped at the JCS.

They also have Barrow and Gillingham to play so three difficult games.

Lincoln were equally on a similar run ended by Wigan.

Six more points and it doesn't matter what Sutton do.

Up the U's
[Post edited 13 Apr 22:07]

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024