Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
6 Year Old Football Advice 16:58 - Aug 21 with 7311 viewsQPR1506

Hi, my 6 year old who is not a bad little footballer has been asked to go for a trial at Millwall. I live in Kent and if anything would prefer for him to trial at QPR but because of the travelling this is not possible. Palace and Charlton would be more preferable as I cannot stand Millwall. Was just wondering if anyone on here has been in a smiliar situtaion and can offer some advice. Thanks

In Redknapp We Trust !

6 Year Old Football Advice on 23:29 - Aug 22 with 1338 viewszicoshoops

If he's 6, take him to a local Club where he can play and enjoy himself.
Even at that age they will be watched by local Semi Pro Clubs.
If they become interested, then they will approach you (the parent) after having watched him a few times.

If that happens, then he will find himself being watched by Lower League Clubs, who will approach the Semi Pro Club about taking him on. (most Semi Pro Clubs will give their blessing.

If he then plays for a Lower League Club, he will be watched by Clubs in higher Leagues, and if good enough he will be approached.

I know of a 17 year old who went that route, and has now got a Pro contract for a year with a Premiership Club.

He's enjoyed his football all the way through, and a condition of playing football with all of the Clubs, was keeping up with his Studies.

Whatever you decide, good luck.
6 Year Old Football Advice on 23:50 - Aug 22 with 1324 viewsE17hoop

It's important that he gets the chance to play with kids his age now. There's a kid who joined my youngest's club for training and looked the canine's. He was played in a friendly and couldn't handle the discipline of playing in a certain position. He'd been through a few clubs from the age of 7 and once they'd moved up to larger pitches he couldn't deal with the extra space on the pitch, discipline in defence, etc.

6 is no age to be looking at professional clubs.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

6 Year Old Football Advice on 00:31 - Aug 23 with 1312 viewssotonsuperhoop

My advice would be to let him play with a local team until he is 8 and then take up their offer, but ask for him to play in the development centre team rather than the academy/centre of excellence team.

Most clubs run both the development centresfrom age 7/8 and academy teams from under 9 upwards. He'll have to sign a contract when aged 9 which, depending on the club, may prevent him from playing for county and he will not be able to play for a local team. School games however would take priority even over the professional club.

With regard to coaching it will vary from club to club. Some will train to win, some to become a team player, others just to improve the overall skill levels. Go for a club that will play your son in many different positions and teach him team ethics but does not train the competitive spirit out of him.

Development Centres are more fun and less serious than academy teams and players tend to develop quicker. less stress. Being part of an academy team , even at the age of 9 can add a lot of pressure, competition for places etc etc.a and I have seen many children drift out of the game because football became too serious at an early age.

The balance between football for your son and other members of the family must be considered. It will affect everyone. Spending Sundays away from home from 8am til 5pm, training twice a week after school adds a lot of pressure to the family unit and often to the detriment of siblings.

My son started at 6 playing for an u7 team, by 8 years he had won the local league and cup playing up a year and joined Southampton FC at age 8. Spent a year in the development centre and signed at 9 years. They kicked him out at 11. He then spent a 6months back in local football and then signed for AFC Bournemouth where he played for 2 seasons, snapped his medial ligament v Cheltenham Town and couldn't play for a year. Has played for AFC Totton vs QPR at Harlington and has just signed for Winchester City.

From our experience, despite his time with two professional clubs, he has enjoyed his football most at local league level, and has the attitude that 'if I'm good enough I will be picked up when the time is right, if I don't I'll carry on as I am now'.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024