Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rose Man of the Match 22:52 - Aug 21 with 774 viewsDaniel

Yeah, a stunning goal, but he played Rodgers onside for Pompey's first goal and he was at fault by being caught too far up the pitch for the second goal.

No doubt about it, Bean was man of the match tonight.

Which reminds me, if you were at the game, please pretty please can you log your player ratings at http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/colchesterunited/fb_results.php?p=ratings& (when the teams are uploaded)
Rose Man of the Match on 09:59 - Aug 22 with 745 viewsnoah4x4

Daniel asked me to produce a 'match report' from my perspective of a fan - so here goes....

I tend to look at U’s performances through "Rose Tinted Spectacles" after my pre-match ritual in the Bricklayers Arms. I wonder what is John Ward’s excuse given that Michael Rose proved to be both hero and villain?

The rare on-time arrival of ‘Pompey John’, whose appearance suggests he is perhaps the love child of Screaming Lord Sutch and the Devil, hinted that a special night was perhaps in store, and all credit to the Portsmouth fans for helping to create a superb atmosphere. Both North and South stands sang their hearts out as two teams that wanted to play good on the floor football locked together in what I deem to be the best football match ever seen at WHCS.

The U’s started the brighter and I felt confident of a victory. But a call of nature interfered and I confess that I missed the Pompey opener. But as I stood adjacent to a colleague at the urinal, and heard the South Stand sighs, we simultaneously said “Rose”. Confirmation that he had indeed got out of position and played Rogers on side was no consolation.

The ball then sped from end to end at break neck pace, as both teams stepped up a gear. U’s pressure led to three consecutive corners but the Pompey defence held. Largely reliant on breakaways, the Pompey wide men gave loyal U’s fan’s many heart in the mouth moments as they tormented Rose and Wilson, who both have the merit of getting forward, but seem to lack the pace to get back when caught. However, it was from such an advance foray that Rose had his moment, and he blasted an unforgettable 30 yard net-buster that tops any goal I have seen in years, and at any level. HT 1 -1 and a score justified by the balance of play.

I sampled one of the new burgers, was excellent (but had already run out of cheese). Settled back into my seat and nervously watched a barrage of attacks on Cousins goal. Cousins again performed magnificently parrying a scorcher from McLeod, but was stranded by the follow up that fortunately smashed into a post. But where again was Rose to deal with that threat?

The balance of play then switched, with the U’s in the ascendency, but punctuated by trouble down the flanks from Mcleod and Dumbuya. The U’s as an overall unit now look strong, but do seem very vulnerable at left full back. Despite his earlier wonder strike, the crowd’s frustration eventually boiled over at Rose with chants of “Johnny White White White” echoing from the South Stand.

More U’s pressure and a succession of corners led to a toe poke from Magnus on 82 minutes. It’s 2-1 and elation for the U’s faithful. Surely this was three points in the bag? But within seconds of the restart, Rodgers hits the post and Obita made no mistake with the rebound , so 2-2 with echoes of the earlier incident. Where again was Rose? Too far up the pitch and once again caught out. If Michael Rose want’s to be a midfielder, let’s play him there where he does have distinct ability. However, his positional play as a defender isn't satisfactory (Joe Dunne to please address this when coaching)

In summary, a cracking game, although I felt Morrison was again too isolated and still looks a fraction of the pace. We welcome back Gavin Massey to soon pair with Sears, John Ward perhaps having the same perceptions as me (despite saying “no further signings”). On balance, a fair result, and talking to Pompey fans walking down Stadium Way that was mutually agreed.

Rose Man of the Match on 10:12 - Aug 22 with 741 viewsLeadbelly

It was a very open and entertaining game. Portsmouth have some decent players and will do well once they have actually met each other! Ten point deduction will probably rule out any chance of promotion though.

Rose goal was a cracker but he was a liability apart from that. I didn't think any of teh back four had a particularly good game but some credit must go to Portsmouth for attacking as they did. We caused them problems too.

Morrison was isolated and didn't look match fit to me. He is also not a target man and being up front on his own won't result in many goals for him or the team.

Midfield looked a more dynamic without Izzet but that's no surprise. Also good to see the stats show us with more possession than is usually the case.

Sears tried hard but the end product concerns me. Guilty of overcomplicating things on occasion. Hopefully he will improve.

Cousins put in another solid performance.

Afetr so much negative play last season, last night was a refreshing change.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Rose Man of the Match on 11:26 - Aug 22 with 731 viewscolchestercat

Rose Man of the Match on 10:12 - Aug 22 by Leadbelly

It was a very open and entertaining game. Portsmouth have some decent players and will do well once they have actually met each other! Ten point deduction will probably rule out any chance of promotion though.

Rose goal was a cracker but he was a liability apart from that. I didn't think any of teh back four had a particularly good game but some credit must go to Portsmouth for attacking as they did. We caused them problems too.

Morrison was isolated and didn't look match fit to me. He is also not a target man and being up front on his own won't result in many goals for him or the team.

Midfield looked a more dynamic without Izzet but that's no surprise. Also good to see the stats show us with more possession than is usually the case.

Sears tried hard but the end product concerns me. Guilty of overcomplicating things on occasion. Hopefully he will improve.

Cousins put in another solid performance.

Afetr so much negative play last season, last night was a refreshing change.

Rather than keep on Izet bashing as a number of fans seem to be I want make the point that the combination of Been and O'Tool gives us real bite and power in the centre of the park....its along time since we had such apowerhouse in the midfield...

I do feel that we lack real pace up front maybe Massey and Wright will offer a bit more. Morrison looked out of sorts he huffed and puffed but didn't realy get up speed
Rose Man of the Match on 17:44 - Aug 22 with 691 viewsDaniel

Thanks for the report Noah, it sums up the game exactly as I saw it, except I wasn't in the little boys room when Pompey scored their first!

I initilly thought their goal was offside, but it wasn't until I saw the goals on SSN last night that I realised Rose was playing them on.

If anyone else would like to write report slike this, particularly the away games, then I'd welcome them on the site.
Rose Man of the Match on 10:01 - Aug 23 with 664 viewsburnsieespana

Thanks noah for this report as gives those of us afar a good idea of how the game unfolded.
What is it about John White that Manager after Manager doesn't fancy until well into the season? He always seemed a pretty dependable player to me, ok defensive but surely we need at least one player of this mind at the back?
Rose Man of the Match on 11:45 - Aug 23 with 660 viewsBluenWightExile

Agree John.
White defended well at left back in our Championship era and that's not long ago. He tracks back pretty well from left half as well so I have always found his omission to be odd.

Up the U's

Pinault-noir

Rose Man of the Match on 16:55 - Aug 23 with 643 viewsMadeira163

Stunning Goal Yes.
But in slowmo maybe the slightest deflection off the Pompy players back ????
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024