Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Boston Travel advice (non QPR) 19:33 - Jan 14 with 1517 viewsthame_hoops

not Boston lincs but the US city, anyone been?

any tips on where is best to stay?

thanks
Boston Travel advice (non QPR) on 19:35 - Jan 14 with 1515 viewscollegeranger

Wrap up warm - kin freezing there at the moment. Only know the suburbs of Boston- decent shopping mall in Hopkinton.
Boston Travel advice (non QPR) on 19:38 - Jan 14 with 1510 viewsthame_hoops

Boston Travel advice (non QPR) on 19:35 - Jan 14 by collegeranger

Wrap up warm - kin freezing there at the moment. Only know the suburbs of Boston- decent shopping mall in Hopkinton.

yeah, i heard its cold. 'cambridge' seems to have cheaper hotels but don't want to be far from downton
Boston Travel advice (non QPR) on 19:59 - Jan 14 with 1491 viewsFearless

Near the harbour or Quincy market (feneuil hall) is perfect (but doubt it'll be cheap)

Great city - freedom trail, tea party, bars/live music - Harvard close by

Enjoy
Boston Travel advice (non QPR) on 20:42 - Jan 14 with 1476 viewsderbyhoop

One of my favourite cities in the world. Charles River, Back Bay, Faneuil Hall, the Senate building, Hancock Tower.

Stayed at Copley Square in the past.

But it will be freezing this time of year.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Boston Travel advice (non QPR) on 20:57 - Jan 14 with 1466 viewsbarbicanranger

I've done a lot of time in Boston with work.

Stayed in a few parts of town but generally prefer around the prudential centre - there's a big mall there, it's central, has access to the T, you can walk to Fenway, the rack (strip of bars) and the backbay area of town where you will find newbury street (which has top draw shops + cafes) but you will be a T ride from the more touristy parts like faneuil hall. If you like to sample the local culture rather than tourist culture then I would recommend back bay.

Have stayed in The Lenox (Boylston St) which is good and sometimes the Sheraton (has great views from the higher rooms).
Boston Travel advice (non QPR) on 21:00 - Jan 14 with 1462 viewsGloucs_R

http://www.manvsfoodlocations.com/boston-massachusetts.html

Enough said!

Poll: Are we staying up?

Boston Travel advice (non QPR) on 21:06 - Jan 14 with 1449 viewsgobbles

Stay in Cambridge, where Harvard University is. Much cheaper, nice atmosphere, still quite central and on the subway system so easy to get everywhere. Boston city centre is really expensive. Also has a Peet's coffee, which is a top way to start your morning.
Much smaller city than you'd think. Some fantastic (and cheap) restaurants in Little Italy area.
Boston Travel advice (non QPR) on 21:20 - Jan 14 with 1433 viewsgueRRilla

Spent the thick end of 3 months there one summer, living in a 3 bed flat, 7 of us in total, with NO furniture other than a table and a few chairs. Rent was extortionate but bloody loved it. Was living just off Commonwealth Avenue, a few minutes walk from Harvard Avenue.

No advice on where to stay, but if you're looking for things to do, the Duck Boat tours are a good laugh and will take you to all the major sites. The tour of Fenway Park is excellent. If you fancy a day trip, you can take the ferry to Salem (home of the witch trials) fairly cheaply and its really really worth it. If you're a history buff then make sure to check out Bunker Hill as well.
Login to get fewer ads

Boston Travel advice (non QPR) on 21:20 - Jan 14 with 1433 viewsTW_R

Boston Travel advice (non QPR) on 21:06 - Jan 14 by gobbles

Stay in Cambridge, where Harvard University is. Much cheaper, nice atmosphere, still quite central and on the subway system so easy to get everywhere. Boston city centre is really expensive. Also has a Peet's coffee, which is a top way to start your morning.
Much smaller city than you'd think. Some fantastic (and cheap) restaurants in Little Italy area.

I stayed at the Charles in Cambridge many years ago (about this time of year in fact). Liked Cambridge alot. Very European feel to it. Lots of bars, live music etc.

Stayed at the Harbor which was nicely located, but quite pricey ( I wasn't paying though!)
Boston Travel advice (non QPR) on 09:00 - Jan 15 with 1366 viewstoboboly

Check BA website. I bought tix and the Midtown hotel (backbay area) for £950 the other day for travelling in May. You may find a deal?

Go Ravens!

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Boston Travel advice (non QPR) on 09:13 - Jan 15 with 1356 viewsKonk

Boston's great as it's a very walkable city by US standards. We stayed in Backbay, which I really liked - had more of a neighbourhood feel than staying downtown. Easy enough to get everywhere on foot or by public transport, walking distance into town if you don't mind a stroll, and some good bars. Had a couple of great nights in a place called Bukowski's, which was pretty much my idea of the perfect American bar.

Cambridge - some really good bars across there - Charlie's Kitchen had a blinding jukebox, which caused us to get stuck in there for about five hours when we only popped in for a pint at lunchtime.

South End is a really nice neighbourhood with some nice restuarants and bars (NB. Not "Southy" - that's a bit rough).

Great city - loads of history, friendly locals, some great bars etc. The endless obsession with covering everything with shamrocks is a bit tedious, but nowhere's perfect.

Oh, and would back the Sheraton as a decent option - got a very good price there through hotwire...and it's only round the corner from Bukowski's.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Boston Travel advice (non QPR) on 09:53 - Jan 15 with 1314 viewssmegma

Only been once,20 years ago. My mate booked the digs and he thought it was hilarious the hotel was in the Chelsea district.He supports them. As expected the hotel was crap, 'continental breakfast' consisted of dunkin donuts and coffee !!!

Best thing we did was whale watching but it was in June.
The Cheers bar was crap.

And England lost 2 zip to the USA, remember Alexei Lallas ?

Boston Travel advice (non QPR) on 10:13 - Jan 15 with 1300 viewsthame_hoops

cheers guys, @toboboly go ravens indeed
Boston Travel advice (non QPR) on 13:15 - Jan 15 with 1271 viewsstowmarketrange

Boston Travel advice (non QPR) on 10:13 - Jan 15 by thame_hoops

cheers guys, @toboboly go ravens indeed

There is a rangers fan who lives in Boston who posts on qprdot.org.he goes under the user name of boston ranger.he might give you some decent insider info.
Boston Travel advice (non QPR) on 20:07 - Jan 15 with 1225 viewsPeterHucker

last time I was there was nearly a decade ago but I spent a lot of very happy hours in the bar which is right next to the baseball stadium. I think it's called Boston Beer Works.
Boston Travel advice (non QPR) on 05:17 - Jan 16 with 1177 viewsBeaufort27

I live just outside Boston and work for a large hotel chain (starwood). Could get you a cheap room if you know when you want to go, PM me if you want.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024