Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone got Warren Aspinall's number? 09:51 - Mar 29 with 1286 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Or failing that George Moncur's?

CheeRS

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Anyone got Warren Aspinall's number? on 17:00 - Mar 29 with 1228 viewsmfb_cufc

Any reason for wanting the number of a 53year-old former alcoholic and addicted gambler.

mfb

Anyone got Warren Aspinall's number? on 17:31 - Mar 29 with 1218 viewsgerry_us

Anyone got Warren Aspinall's number? on 17:00 - Mar 29 by mfb_cufc

Any reason for wanting the number of a 53year-old former alcoholic and addicted gambler.

A good time?
Anyone got Warren Aspinall's number? on 19:07 - Mar 29 with 1204 viewswessex_exile

Anyone got Warren Aspinall's number? on 17:31 - Mar 29 by gerry_us

A good time?

I suspect it is a reference to how he instilled some real grit into a relegation-threatened side when it was needed most. He wasn't with us for very long, but apart from taking two right in the family jewels in rapid succession, I like to think he'll look back on his time with the U's affectionately - I was certainly glad he was here at the time.

He's also to be celebrated for how talked openly and honestly about his battles with alcohol, gambling and suicidal depression, including as a spokesperson for the Samaritans' Men on the Ropes campaign, trying to make a positive impact on other men in similar circumstances.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Anyone got Warren Aspinall's number? on 19:54 - Mar 29 with 1189 viewsLeadbelly

Just walked past Kem Izzet on my way home from the station. Looks fit enough still. Should have asked if he fancied a game.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Anyone got Warren Aspinall's number? on 21:46 - Mar 29 with 1170 viewsmfb_cufc

Anyone got Warren Aspinall's number? on 19:54 - Mar 29 by Leadbelly

Just walked past Kem Izzet on my way home from the station. Looks fit enough still. Should have asked if he fancied a game.

Kem Izzet would fit into the present side really well, he always passed to the opposition.

mfb

Anyone got Warren Aspinall's number? on 21:57 - Mar 29 with 1168 viewsmfb_cufc

Anyone got Warren Aspinall's number? on 17:00 - Mar 29 by mfb_cufc

Warren Aspinall may be too old to return, but the manager in his time with us isn't. How we could do with someone as good as Mick Wadsworth now.

mfb

Anyone got Warren Aspinall's number? on 22:43 - Mar 29 with 1159 viewswessex_exile

Anyone got Warren Aspinall's number? on 19:54 - Mar 29 by Leadbelly

You walked past Kem Izzet - going in the same direction? Maybe we need you Whales?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Anyone got Warren Aspinall's number? on 06:22 - Mar 30 with 1147 viewsLeadbelly

Anyone got Warren Aspinall's number? on 22:43 - Mar 29 by wessex_exile

You walked past Kem Izzet - going in the same direction? Maybe we need you Whales?

Opposite directions. My startling lack of pace remains undiminished though.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone got Warren Aspinall's number? on 09:08 - Mar 30 with 1136 viewsAddy

Brian Launders is available!
Anyone got Warren Aspinall's number? on 09:56 - Mar 30 with 1127 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Anyone got Warren Aspinall's number? on 19:07 - Mar 29 by wessex_exile

I suspect it is a reference to how he instilled some real grit into a relegation-threatened side when it was needed most. He wasn't with us for very long, but apart from taking two right in the family jewels in rapid succession, I like to think he'll look back on his time with the U's affectionately - I was certainly glad he was here at the time.

He's also to be celebrated for how talked openly and honestly about his battles with alcohol, gambling and suicidal depression, including as a spokesperson for the Samaritans' Men on the Ropes campaign, trying to make a positive impact on other men in similar circumstances.

Spot on Wessex. I strongly believe we would've been relegated that season had he not joined when he did.

Didn't know about the other stuff but fair play to him for doing something like that and hopefully stopping or helping people going down the same path that he did.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Anyone got Warren Aspinall's number? on 14:00 - Mar 30 with 1102 viewsdurham_exile

Anyone got Warren Aspinall's number? on 09:56 - Mar 30 by RSCOSWORTH

Spot on Wessex. I strongly believe we would've been relegated that season had he not joined when he did.

Didn't know about the other stuff but fair play to him for doing something like that and hopefully stopping or helping people going down the same path that he did.

Sorry Guys we want Parky back.

We must survive first of course.

Grim times.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Anyone got Warren Aspinall's number? on 14:11 - Mar 30 with 1098 viewsMoor_Pinot

Anyone got Warren Aspinall's number? on 14:00 - Mar 30 by durham_exile

Sorry Guys we want Parky back.

We must survive first of course.

Grim times.

Up the U's

I think this is exactly the point Durham.

If we had a Warren Aspinall or two or Parky's intelligent man-management I doubt we'd be where we are.

We have declined for seven years or more by fundamentally travelling the same narrow road. Nothing has been challenged or shaken up - result, complacency. You can see it in the players, many of whom have underdelivered for a management team without the necessary experience to know what or how to demand.

These grim times were predicted on this board several seasons ago and it's not a surprise to me that these 'grim times' have arrived.

It is obvious what we need to survive but it is not obvious to me that the culture exists to enable it.

It's a real drag.

Moor Pinot

Anyone got Warren Aspinall's number? on 18:33 - Mar 30 with 1056 viewsdurham_exile

Anyone got Warren Aspinall's number? on 14:11 - Mar 30 by Moor_Pinot

I think this is exactly the point Durham.

If we had a Warren Aspinall or two or Parky's intelligent man-management I doubt we'd be where we are.

We have declined for seven years or more by fundamentally travelling the same narrow road. Nothing has been challenged or shaken up - result, complacency. You can see it in the players, many of whom have underdelivered for a management team without the necessary experience to know what or how to demand.

These grim times were predicted on this board several seasons ago and it's not a surprise to me that these 'grim times' have arrived.

It is obvious what we need to survive but it is not obvious to me that the culture exists to enable it.

It's a real drag.

Pinault good to hear from you and I totally agree with your sentiments.

I still think that we need to find three wins from the last 8 games to be absolutely safe.

Southend, Barrow and Walsall all Home must be those matches, but in the unlikely event that we get something at Bolton, that could give us the confidence to survive.

What a shocking state of affairs.

Enjoy the heatwave in France. Plenty of sunshine about today.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Anyone got Warren Aspinall's number? on 08:50 - Apr 1 with 960 viewsTheOldOakTree

I think I read that Warren Aspinall lost over a million pounds gambling and then attempted to take his own life.

I've been known to have the odd flutter, but it's fair to say not everyone in the world has the intelligence, willpower, whatever, to keep it under control. Should they be protected or should they be raped and plundered until their lives are destroyed? Which would be better for our country?

(A Col U supporter suggesting others may not be intelligent has to be up there with the best oxymorons).

So what do the FA etc do about this curse to our society? They plaster betting adverts whever they can to get their greedy fingers on as much cash as they can. Headlines like these say everything about the state of our country.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-56594988
Anyone got Warren Aspinall's number? on 10:01 - Apr 2 with 898 viewsAddy

Anyone got Warren Aspinall's number? on 08:50 - Apr 1 by TheOldOakTree

I think I read that Warren Aspinall lost over a million pounds gambling and then attempted to take his own life.

I've been known to have the odd flutter, but it's fair to say not everyone in the world has the intelligence, willpower, whatever, to keep it under control. Should they be protected or should they be raped and plundered until their lives are destroyed? Which would be better for our country?

(A Col U supporter suggesting others may not be intelligent has to be up there with the best oxymorons).

So what do the FA etc do about this curse to our society? They plaster betting adverts whever they can to get their greedy fingers on as much cash as they can. Headlines like these say everything about the state of our country.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-56594988

Yes very sad how gambling addiction (Or any other addiction) can control your life. Full story here https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/17741055
Anyone got Warren Aspinall's number? on 11:22 - Apr 2 with 882 viewsburnsieespana

Yes any sort of addiction is sad and usually so destructive
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024